Home
Posted By: drano 25 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
Anybody running one? Thoughts or feedback based on experience?

Pondering on future build of a 'walking varmint' rifle in 6mm of some sort. Just kicking tires for now, but the Creedmoor is appealing. I like the slightly shorter case, and steeper shoulder angle when compared to the 243.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
PM Scenarshooter and Sendero Man, or wait for them to chime in...
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
[Linked Image]

I have three rifles in that chambering, two bolt rifles and a gas gun. The third rifle is coming with a suppresser.....just waitng for the paperwork to clear ATF as we speak. Hope to have it before the Icebreaker shoot.

Ultimate coyote round in my humble opinion. I've been using it for that for about a year now with great results shooting the Berger 105gr Hybrid at 3100fps(bolt rifle). The GAP10 likes the 105gr Lapua Scenar at 3000fps.

[Linked Image]

After working up this load last week, I shot steel with it out to 1000 meters. It was pretty easy to get carried away shooting rapid fire and making lethal hits on the steel wolf out there. Grown men shouldn't be allowed to have that much fun.....grin!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bolt gun shoots pretty ok too....GAP built Surgeon 591 SA, #7 Bartlein 1-7.5"5R.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
GAP just got in a shipment of 100,000 pieces of 6 Creedmoor brass from Hornady last week.
Posted By: aalf Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
Originally Posted by drano 25
Pondering on future build of a 'walking varmint' rifle in 6mm of some sort.
I like the slightly shorter case, and steeper shoulder angle when compared to the 243.

6x47 Lapua fits that criteria......

Posted By: Sendero_man Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
6 creedmoor is the way to go. Factory brass, no fire-forming, large rifle primer, easy load development and stupid accurate smile
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

I have three rifles in that chambering, two bolt rifles and a gas gun. The third rifle is coming with a suppresser.....just waitng for the paperwork to clear ATF as we speak. Hope to have it before the Icebreaker shoot.

Ultimate coyote round in my humble opinion. I've been using it for that for about a year now with great results shooting the Berger 105gr Hybrid at 3100fps(bolt rifle). The GAP10 likes the 105gr Lapua Scenar at 3000fps.

[Linked Image]

After working up this load last week, I shot steel with it out to 1000 meters. It was pretty easy to get carried away shooting rapid fire and making lethal hits on the steel wolf out there. Grown men shouldn't be allowed to have that much fun.....grin!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bolt gun shoots pretty ok too....GAP built Surgeon 591 SA, #7 Bartlein 1-7.5"5R.

You have the coolest stuff of any man alive. It's a shame you had to turn down the role in the Dos Equis commercials.......
Posted By: BigGameRS Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
That's a good one! Stay thirsty my friends.

RS
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
Marty talked me into splitting a bunch of brass with him.....and I don't even have a 6 Creedmoor! I guess I better be ordering one soon.....

I've been a 243 and 260 fan for a long time, but I really like the Creedmoor case design better. Factory brass for the 6.5 has been excellent. I have one 6.5 Creedmoor and bought another yesterday. The 6 is next.
Posted By: aalf Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
6 creedmoor is the way to go. Factory brass, no fire-forming, large rifle primer, easy load development and stupid accurate smile

6x47 Lapua.........

Neck it down, small rifle primer, easy load development, stupid accuracy, and Lapua brass.

grin

Posted By: drano 25 Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
Great info, thanks. I'd definitely be looking at a bolt gun, lighter than scenatshooter's above. While shooting 600+ wouldn't be ruled out, coyotes at 500 and under would be primary task.

A couple more questions...

Does it truly equal 243 performance with 100 grain or less bullets?

Is there a real advantage over 243 with regard to barrel burning?
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/16/14
As soon as I can get a Seekins AR-10 upper and lower I am going to do a 6mm Creedmoor.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/17/14
Originally Posted by aalf

6x47 Lapua.........

Neck it down, small rifle primer, easy load development, stupid accuracy, and Lapua brass.

grin

how about 243 AI, trade fire forming for case trimming, as in never needing it with the 243 AI. still lapua brass.

I think the 6 creed was done so it would work well in an ar 10 to me thats where it makes alot of sense. in a bolt gun I don't get the point of it. I would rather have something with a tad more HP under the hood if I am shooting a bolt gun.
Posted By: aalf Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/17/14
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by aalf
6 creedmoor is the way to go. Factory brass, no fire-forming, large rifle primer, easy load development and stupid accurate

6x47 Lapua.........

how about 243 AI, trade fire forming for case trimming, as in never needing it with the 243 AI. still lapua brass.

I think the 6 creed was done so it would work well in an ar 10 to me thats where it makes alot of sense. in a bolt gun I don't get the point of it. I would rather have something with a tad more HP under the hood if I am shooting a bolt gun.

A 6x47 Lapua has a 30 degree shoulder, so growth isn't a huge issue. The 243AI has the performance advantage at the expense of barrel life, if that's what you crave.

The Lapua is a better fit in a 2.800" 700 mag box, touching the lands and not impeding on the powder space.

I run a 105's in a 22" 6x47 at 3030, and a wimpy load in a 26" with 105's and H-4831-SC at 3000. I have a third one in a 14 twist for flinging the 70's.

Pic of my 105 VLD loaded round in the lands at 2.750".

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Cinch Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/17/14
aalf, I currently have a 6x47 Lapua and I have a 6 Creedmoor on order. I run 105s in the Lapua at 3218fps. Plan on running the same bullet in the Creedmoor. I decided on trying the Creedmoor based on feedback from Pat and George. Sendero doesn't have one. I would be happy to let you know how the two compare once I get my hands on the rifle and spend some time with it.
Originally Posted by Cinch
aalf, I currently have a 6x47 Lapua and I have a 6 Creedmoor on order. I run 105s in the Lapua at 3218fps. Plan on running the same bullet in the Creedmoor. I decided on trying the Creedmoor based on feedback from Pat and George. Sendero doesn't have one. I would be happy to let you know how the two compare once I get my hands on the rifle and spend some time with it.

Holy schitthouse Batman, 3218 is flying. How big a barrel?

I ran my 22 incher to 3121, but the accuracy is at 3030, tested to 1400.

Be interested in your direct comparison, but I think you'll find the two rounds are two peas in a pod.
My Lapua has a 28" Bartlein 7.75 twist. And I'm at 4500' asl. I'm very interested in seeing the direct results. Pat had a 6xc that I shot a few times. I was very impressed with the way it shot. But yes, like you said, I think there's a handful of cartridges that are gong to be very close in performance.
My Lapua has a 28" Bartlein 7.75 twist. And I'm at 4500' asl.

That explains it. What powder?

My 26 inch gun is a Krieger 8 twist, and I built the 3000 wimpy loads for summer time LR prairie dogs with the 105 Amax. If we ever get spring, I have plans for a LR steel banging load with the 105 Hybrids to work on. I was expecting 3100-3150 out of that barrel....we'll see. Accuracy and velocity don't always go hand in hand.
H-4350. I'll have to look up the load this evening. The Creedmoor will have a 22" barrel as it will get used mainly for hunting.

Long winter here as well, expecting a wet windy spring...
Posted By: rta48 Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/17/14
MCH, who barrel are you planning on using in the gas gun?

Randy
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/17/14
Bartlein.
Posted By: Cinch Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/18/14
aalf, I'm at 40.0gr H-4350 in that 6x47 Lapua load...
Posted By: aalf Re: 6mm Creedmoor? - 03/18/14
aalf, I'm at 40.0gr H-4350 in that 6x47 Lapua load...

Interesting....

I'm at 40.5 of H-4350 with moly plated 105's in the 22" Rock.

© 24hourcampfire