Home
Posted By: Big_Redhead Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/07/14
I need a new trigger to replace the frightful factory trigger in my Interarms Mark X. The new trigger needs to have a safety. Timney lists a Sportsman trigger WITHOUT a safety for about $50, but not one with a safety. They have the Featherweight Deluxe model with a safety, but it costs over a hundred bucks!

Can anyone recommend a good adjustable trigger with safety for my Mark X that is not quite so pricey?
Timney is hard to beat. I wouldn't go with a cheap trigger.

DF
Posted By: efw Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/07/14
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

+1; that FW is a great one.

I got set up a BOLD for a buddy & it's served him well. About like a Timney Sportsman w/ safety.
Posted By: colodog Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/08/14
I've used the Bold trigger and it does work well, got mine from Boyds stocks. Link here
Is the Bold trigger made in China?

DF
Posted By: drover Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/08/14
Have you tried adjusting the factory trigger, or having a gunsmith adjust it? I have had a couple of the Interarms Mark X's and found the trigger very easy to adjust and resulting in a very good trigger.

Just something to think about before you spend money.

Jim
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/08/14
BR,

What trigger configuration does your Mark X have? Early Mark Xs had the two-stage military style triggers and later ones had sear/over travel/pull weight adjustments. The cocking piece associated with these two triggers differs and dictates which aftermarker trigger will mesh with the cocking piece configuration (notched versus flat).
My Mark X has the two-stage military trigger, and it is truly frightful! The pull is about 8 pounds, and there are no adjustments whatsoever. I'm pretty handy, and could figure out how to improve it some, but I would rather just put a good trigger on it. I like Timneys and have several, but I really would like to look at some less costly alternatives before I drop a C-note on another Timney.

Any more reports on the Bold trigger?
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

^^This^^
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/08/14
think that you are going to have the gun a long long time and get a Blackburn Trigger and a 3 position safety for the thing, and don't look back.
Posted By: colodog Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/09/14
I didn't remember where my Bold triggers was made so I checked them at Brownells, Made in USA. $55 so they won't seem cheap. grin
Link Here
Thanks colodog. That is exactly what I was looking for. A new Bold trigger is now on order. smile
Posted By: youngbill Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/09/14
The bold triggers have worked for me as good or better as the timneys.

Don't forget to look at the Alaska Arms trigger:

http://www.alaskaarmsllc.com/MAUSER-REPLACEMENT-TRIGGER-MODEL-STYLE/dp/B00BBJKJTG#.U20QwVfLIpk
Posted By: jstevens Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/10/14
Timney and a 3-pos safety M70 style is the way to go on a Mauser.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/11/14
Another plus one for both Bold and Timneys. Can't go wrong with either.
Posted By: EdM Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/12/14
Originally Posted by jstevens
Timney and a 3-pos safety M70 style is the way to go on a Mauser.

For less than $100 as the OP requested?
The new BOLD trigger arrived today. Can't wait to install it!

I love gun projects. smile
I can't tell any different in results between the Bold and the Timney. I think the Bold is underrated, at least in my small experience.
Well, got the bold installed finally. Should have bought the Timney. frown
Posted By: Craigster Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/13/14
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Well, got the bold installed finally. Should have bought the Timney. frown

What was/is the problem? I've used a half dozen or so Bolds over the years. Other than a bit of wood removal they were all drop ins. I'm thinkin' if you had a problem with the Bold, you probably
would have had the same problem with a Timney.
First, the safety lever is so long it completely blocked the bolt from opening/closing. While bending the lever outward/downward to provide clearance for the bolt, the knurled thumb knob fell off the lever. It was poorly soldered on. The lever now sticks WAY out to the right. After the lever was adjusted, I epoxied the knob back on.

Next, the pull weight was about 8 lbs. When I backed the weight adjustment screw out 2 turns, it fell out bringing the threads from the aluminum body with it. I had to screw it back in farther than I wanted to reach the remaining threads and ended up with a heavier pull weight than I wanted. I didn't dare tighten the jam nut for fear of stripping the remaining threads out of the body.

In all, I am quite disappointed. I'm debating whether to return the bold and spend the extra coin for the Timney, or just shorten the weight adjustment screw to get the pull weight I want. Poor quality pisses me off!
Posted By: z1r Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/15/14
As BR said, the safety lever on the Bold is both too long and bent incorrectly to fit into the stocks of rifles whose trigger the Bold is designed to replace.

The lever sticks out too far to clear the inletting and sticks up so high it will hit the bolt shorud on say a Mk X. Whereas, the Timney is a drop-in replacement on the Mk X.

I will no longer install the Boyds triggers. In the few instances where I've had issues with a Timney, they were very helpful and responsive and quickly had things sorted out. Can't say the same for the Bold.

The trigger of a rifle is not a place you want to scrimp on.
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/18/14
And, if it appears the thing was not going to work for you, you shouldn't have been bending on it. You should have returned it the way it was. If I were the store I wouldn't take it back!
Posted By: Craigster Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/18/14
Good to know, never used a Bold or Timney with the side safety.
My original point on not fooling with cheap triggers.

They won't take it back after you've worked on it.

If I was stuck with that situation, I'd tap the stripped out screw to the next larger set screw, get a weaker spring and tweak it until it worked. I have a box of springs I got years ago from Brownell.

If it had creap I'd hone the sear bearing surfaces glass smooth, careful to keep the surfaces true.

I think I could make it work. The extra $40 bucks a Timney costs will make all that fixing time pretty cheap hourly labor. If on a professional basis, you'd starve.

And that would definitely be my last of those triggers.

IMHO,

DF
Originally Posted by 22WRF
And, if it appears the thing was not going to work for you, you shouldn't have been bending on it. You should have returned it the way it was. If I were the store I wouldn't take it back!

You don't ever have to worry about me returning something I bought from you.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 05/20/14
I grind off the Mauser rear hump and reduce the spring.
I add a Win M70 type safety.

That is cheap [$32 and the best solution], if one has the tools, tooling, and can get the safety.

Brownells is out of stock.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/safety-parts/safeties/two-position-safety-kit-prod9916.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=WISNER
Posted By: Glen71 Re: Mauser Trigger Question? - 06/02/14
I've got an Ed DeLorge M70 2-position safety kit (for Mausers and Springfields) that I would sell. It appears to be similar (if not identical) to the Chapman kit that Brownells carries. $30.00 shipped.
© 24hourcampfire