Home
Posted By: Kitch so Much for Coopers - 06/09/14
I thought I'd price a particular Cooper model and caliber and write to see how long their turn around time would be on a Classic or Custom classic. This was the response...

"On a Classic it will be right around 6-8 months. A custom Classic or Western Classic you are looking at 12 months minimum."

Maybe I should try to find one on the auction sites. frown
Posted By: slg888 Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/09/14
Worth the wait.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AMRA Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/09/14
I don`t know what caliber and finish you want but here are 3
for sale here in Alabama.
http://www.marksgunsearch.com/40
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
Check Gunsamerica.

Search both Cooper 52, and Cooper M52

Lots of nice ones there. First Stop has a bunch listed.
Posted By: ab_bentley Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
First Stop Guns.

Adam
Posted By: Steelhead Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
You could probably make a low ball offer on Rancho's Forbes...
Posted By: outlawlineman Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
Cooper is for sure worth the wait!!!!
Posted By: geedubya Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
FWIW

[Linked Image]

I mainly buy models 21, 22 and 38. I buy them pre-enjoyed at a value. To my mind in that regard they are one of the best values to be found in a production rifle.

The two above for instance. The model 21 Varminter took me 10 years to find it at the price I wanted to pay.

The model 38 Classic in 17 Ackley Hornet I looked for for about 16 years.

Was it worth it.

20 vartarg

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've not shot the 17 AH yet, but here are the two test targets and a couple more that were supplied by the previous owner.

[Linked Image]

I'd say yeah!. But, bear in mind I also bought a bunch more along the way while I was watchin' fer these.

If you could find a model 52, pre-enjoyed for $1,600 or less I don't see how you could go wrong. I may be off a bit as I mainly buy pre-enjoyed single shots.

Here at the Campfire, GunBroker, GunsAmerica and First Stop would be my recommendations.

Best,

GWB

Posted By: EricM Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
Those dogs will hunt, GWB! Nice shooting!!

Eric
Posted By: safariman Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
GW,

That second rifle down is a BEAUTY! Exactly what a nice varmint rifle should look like. Shows that accurate rifle do not have to be made from buttugly synthetics.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
Glad the guy that was running Cooper got the boot for donating to Obama's campaign.
Posted By: gene270 Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
cove creek and hendershots usually have quite a few for sale and both have web sites
Originally Posted by safariman
GW,

That second rifle down is a BEAUTY! Exactly what a nice varmint rifle should look like. Shows that accurate rifle do not have to be made from buttugly synthetics.

Sir,

I know everyone wants a rifle that is a one-holer. In my experience, true one hole groups are an aberration rather than a reality. I tell folks I operate within a narrow band of mediocrity. Don't do any thing real good, don't do anything real bad. Pretty much the same with shooting groups. Being in my sixties, my ability to shoot itty bitty groups seems to be on the wane. However, even taking into consideration my meager abilities, of the more than two dozen Coopers that I've had the opportunity to develop loads for,all of them were capable of sub-inch groups at 100 yds. The brass for the ammo was not weight-sorted, the flash holes and primer pockets were not uniformed and were loaded typically using RCBS full length die sets. Scopes used range from 2.5 x 8 to 5 x 16 power.

Cooper model 22 Varmint Extreme, Chambered for the 308 Win.

[Linked Image]

and some groups fired during load testing

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IIRC they were shot back to back on the same afternoon. I find that IMR 4320, Varget, Tac, and RL 15 work well in the 308 Win. Just have to determine which a particular rifle like.

here is the rifle

Another, the only lefty Cooper I ever owned, and the only left hand bolt action I've ever owned. I never realized how nifty it is to shoot a left bolt rifle right handed. You can place your right hand over the scope, hook your thumb over the bolt, and draw it back, use your left hand to pick up a round and place it in the receiver. For bench shooting it's the berries.

Model 21 Varmint Extreme in 223 Remington

[Linked Image]

and one of five targets supplied by the original owner (all were basically mirror images of this group)

[Linked Image]

and a primer test I did one afternoon.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/group%20pix/IMG_9376.jpg[/img]

IIRC these groups were shot out of a fouled barrel with five minutes or so between the groups for barrel cooling, no cleaning.

Last one, I promise........

Model 22 Montana Varminter, 6.5 x 284

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/mtv1_zps4c3c3c2e.jpg[/img]

100 yds.
[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/group%20pix/IMG_8316_zps41969ca1.jpg[/img]

200 yds.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSCN7824.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSCN7825.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSCN7828.jpg[/img]

Anywho, perhaps you get the picture.

GWB

Posted By: safariman Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
Great shooting, 65 or not! And the wood on that 308 is spectacular. I have a tigerstripe Walnut stock on my bench gun in 223, and it was the handle that made me buy it. It needed a new barrel right away, but I didn't mind. It is still one of my favorite rifles.

Thank you for sharing all of this,

MARK
Posted By: ejo Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
I have bought from CoveCreek and they were great to deal with. I would be surprised if you couldn't find something you liked in their inventory.

I still am upset I didn't buy the 338-06 cooper that I fondled in their shop a couple of years ago.
Both Cove Creek and First stop will do installment sales on rifles. Have done so with each.

GWB
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
Originally Posted by slg888
Worth the wait.

[Linked Image]

if that's an "06, I have its twin....
Posted By: cooperfan Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
Mich-i-gun in St Clair Shores MI

They have a lot of Coopers
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/10/14
I almost bought this one myself a few times, but the Jackson Game stock doesn't fit me as well as the Classic.

The wood is pretty nice, but it doesn't have any upgrades. Even so, it is a very good price on a Jackson Game, and it is in the 270Win which I believe is your preference.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=421491138

You just can't go wrong with a Cooper.

Posted By: Kitch Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/14/14
That primer experiment was one I wanted to do myself but haven't to date. Interesting to see the standard Remington and CCI primer seemed to give the better groups over the BR variety.

BTW-Gorgeous rifles you have there young man! At an approaching 69 I can say that. wink
Posted By: geedubya Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/14/14
In the past I have typically used federal match primers across the spectrum.

I've not done a test on the 17's and 20's to confirm those results.

I have been loading with the CCI 400's as of late on my small caliber stuff.

Best,

GWB
I've used both the Remington 7 1/2 and CCI BR-4 primers and can't tell a dime's worth of difference.

I looked over the Coopers on Cove Creek and didn't see a 7x57 at all. That's what I was looking for. There were a couple of good looking 22-250's in the Montana Varminter, however.
Posted By: geedubya Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/14/14
now that you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing a Cooper in 7 x 57. Quien Sabe, maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

[Linked Image]
Cooper Model 22, Montana Varminter, 7mm-08

I know it wouldn't have the same sex appeal, but you could find a model 22 as the one above, or the Classic stock style, or repeater in a model 54 in 7mm-08.

My first Synthetic Coopers picked up recently. Both are Model 22's. The Fugly laminate is 308 Win. The Phoenix is in 22-250.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB
I think they only offer the 7x57 in the Model 22 in it's various styles. A Classic would be good but the wait is most long from what they told me. I'm getting too old to wait a year for anything.

Too bad the Cove didn't show any. that would be one of the best places to find one. Nothing at Guns International either.
Posted By: drover Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/14/14
Originally Posted by Kitch
I think they only offer the 7x57 in the Model 22 in it's various styles. A Classic would be good but the wait is most long from what they told me. I'm getting too old to wait a year for anything.

Too bad the Cove didn't show any. that would be one of the best places to find one. Nothing at Guns International either.

The 7x57 is available in the model 22 and also the model 52. I have a model 52 7x57 with the Schnabel stock, blued receiver and stainless barrel. It has been setting in my safe for a couple of years and I still haven't gotten around to shooting it, having too much fun with my smaller caliber Coopers.

drover
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/14/14

Will this do. Pretty wood.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Co...m-Order-7MM-Mauser-.cfm?gun_id=100419775
Posted By: Kitch Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/15/14
The 7x57 is available in the model 22 and also the model 52.

Their website doesn't show the 7x57 available in a Model 52 or 54.

http://www.cooperfirearms.com/our-rifles/95-model-52

I saw the one on GunsInternational but a 7x57 in a Varmint Extreme just doesn't seem right. A .222 or 22-250 but not a 7x57. Just a mental thing, I guess.
Posted By: drover Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/15/14
Unfortunately the Cooper website is rarely updated, difficult to navigate and is practically useless.

Their latest catalog does show the 7x57 as being available in both the model 22 and 52. Mine was made in 2012 so they have been doing it for a while. The 7x57 is not a common caliber in Coopers but I doubt that I have the only one they have ever made.

drover
Posted By: geedubya Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/15/14
[quote] a 7x57 in a Varmint Extreme just doesn't seem right.

10/4

A classic, custom Classic or Western classic.

Somehow I don't think of beavertail forearms when I think of 7 x 57's.

GWB

Posted By: woofer Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/15/14
Hendershots

May be your huckleberry...

They have an Excaliber in 257Roy smile

W
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/15/14
The Cooper rifles lack many of the features I prefer for a hunting rifle such as a three position wing safety that controls the firing pin, CRF, and others.

I have used a battery of M70's, 99's & others since 1957 and have what I want.

When SS with Syn. stocks came out the Kimbers filled that want.

Here is a 308 Montana that shoots as good as it gets and cost half of the $2400 cooper $$.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Swifty52 Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/15/14
Got 3 of them thar Coopers, all bought brand spanking new. Bottom one with AAA wood. Didn't give over 1600 for any of them.

[Linked Image]

10 shots @ 200 w/223

[Linked Image]

left target is 5 @ 100 w/ the Swift, Right is 5 with 223.

[Linked Image]

As far as the Varmint extreme, I would guess you would probably have the only 7x57 guaranteed to shoot 3 shots into 1/2" or better @ 100.
Posted By: Kitch Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/16/14
Didn't give over 1600 for any of them.

How did you manage to swing that?

Here is a 308 Montana that shoots as good as it gets and cost half of the $2400 cooper $$.

As good as it gets? Apparently you didn't see the other targets here via the Cooper.
Posted By: geedubya Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/16/14
Didn't give over 1600 for any of them.

How did you manage to swing that?

Kitch,

I stopped counting at two dozen. I buy pre-enjoyed model 21, 22, and 38 single shots. I've only paid over $1,300 for one Cooper, that was a Varmint Extreme in 308 Win. for which I paid $1600 IIRC. Most have been in the $1,100 to $1,250 range. Add $70 for transfer and shipping to those prices. The 308 Win fugly laminate I paid $1,100 for the rifle, and the 7-08 MTV and the Phoenix 22-250 were $1,225 and $1,250. If you watch here, GunBroker, GunsAmerica you can pick them up reasonable. I have no problem with single shots, and when it comes to the sub calibers, 17, 19, and 20 they have no equal for that price.

I've owned 7 Kimbers, a bunch of Weatherby's, Remingtons, Rugers, Brownings, Winchesters,MRC's, Savages, T/C's Mausers and Sako's
To my mind, the quality of the wood, fit, finish, trigger and accuracy make the pre-enjoyed Coopers a great value.

Best,

GWB

Posted By: Sheister Re: so Much for Coopers - 06/16/14
Speaking of nice Coopers-
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=422864197

I love case hardened and great walnut and Cooper seems to do it best these days....

Bob
© 24hourcampfire