Home
Posted By: DBLNUT Gunsmith to do a 250 Savage - 09/24/14
I have a short action 700 that has a Krieger barrel chambered in a 250 AI. I am tired playing with it and want to rebarrel to a standard 250. Anybody have any gunsmiths to recommend? I am in Western Pa.
Trigger time is a bitch.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Gunsmith to do a 250 Savage - 09/24/14
Here's a good one in Savage,MD.

http://www.gostomskisgunsmithing.com/
Dump the entire rifle and get another one.

That action lacks most of the features that knowledgeable rifleman demand on their hunting rifles.

It lacks: A decent three position safety that controls the firing pin, CRF, a bolt handle that will not break off and a safe trigger.

Look at M70's, Kimbers, Mausers etc.

You will get immediate delivery for this season and see what your getting.
My gunsmith out here who built my all time favorite 257WBY is a fan of the 250 Savage and has the reamer as well as experience building them. His name is Rob Shell. He also did the stock re shaping on my 340 Tyrannosaur that is oft complimented. PM me if you would like his contact info.
You have a PM.

PennDog
Why not post for the benefit of other on the fire?
Not western PA but Clarence Hammonds in Red Lion, PA would be who I would recommend. Great work, short lead times and reasonable pricing.
rdobrow,

I do not know....Tim Smith in Warren, PA (814)723-7583 - www.smithscustomguns.com was who I recommended. He is as good as any for what the OP is looking for and has been building a bunch of rifles lately for the Ridgway, PA 1000 yards silhouette matches. I went to gunsmithing school at Trinidad, CO with him in the mid-late 80's

PennDog

Mickey Coleman did a bang-up job on mine....but he's retired.

Posted By: Kaleb Re: Gunsmith to do a 250 Savage - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by Savage_99

That action lacks most of the features that knowledgeable rifleman demand on their hunting rifles.

It lacks: A decent three position safety that controls the firing pin, CRF, a bolt handle that will not break off and a safe trigger.

Originally Posted by safariman
My gunsmith out here who built my all time favorite 257WBY is a fan of the 250 Savage and has the reamer as well as experience building them. His name is Rob Shell. He also did the stock re shaping on my 340 Tyrannosaur that is oft complimented. PM me if you would like his contact info.

Yes, because you're not a total idiot
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Yes, because you're not a total idiot

It's wierd, its like the mindset of a liberal, but he is on our side? I think....
Jim Kobe on this forum. He does excellent work and is very prompt.
Would be interested in your 250 AI barrel.
Posted By: DBLNUT Re: Gunsmith to do a 250 Savage - 09/27/14
I ordered a Rock barrel today for my new one, I got lucky, they will be rifling 257 barrels in a week or two and when it makes it here it will be off to Tim Smith in Warren Pa to do the work. I am seriously thinking of buying a Stiller predator instead of putting the new barrel on the remmy.
Originally Posted by DBLNUT
I ordered a Rock barrel today for my new one, I got lucky, they will be rifling 257 barrels in a week or two and when it makes it here it will be off to Tim Smith in Warren Pa to do the work. I am seriously thinking of buying a Stiller predator instead of putting the new barrel on the remmy.

I wish I wouldn't have seen this. I may be calling Monday for a few more barrels. 2 weeks or even 2 months beats the heck out of how long I waited last time for a few Rock 257" barrels. But I guess it was worth the wait.....grin.

[Linked Image]
You could probably sell your 250AI. I have one in a ULA and love it. It's been easy for me to get to shoot good with the 80 Gr TTSX.

Starting 3rd from left........25-204, 250 Savage, 250AI, Bob and Improved Bob, and 257 Bee.

[Linked Image]

Nice 25 cal lineup there! Just missing a 25 Souper. cool
You don't have a 25-06?

I think I waited a year and some change for my Rock 9.5 twist 25 cal barrel also.

If I were going to order a 25 cal barrel right now it would be an 8.5 twist.
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
You don't have a 25-06?

I think I waited a year and some change for my Rock 9.5 twist 25 cal barrel also.

If I were going to order a 25 cal barrel right now it would be an 8.5 twist.

I've had a few through the years and just can't warm up to them. Not sure why.
Hard to not like the 25's.

I've had/have rifles in: 25/20, 25-35, 250 Sav, 250AI, 257 Roberts, 257AI, 25/06 & 257 Weatherby.
Originally Posted by woodson
Not western PA but Clarence Hammonds in Red Lion, PA would be who I would recommend. Great work, short lead times and reasonable pricing.

He's been my friend for 30 years and does flawless work.

http://benchrest.com/hammonds
Rock Creek did a 5R 9-twist #2 257 barrel for me that I chambered in 250Sav AI - first three shots with Nosler 115's grouped .226 at a 100. You made a good choice with Rock Creek
I like Greg Tannel at Gre'-tan Rifles. There's about a 6-8 month wait though.

http://gretanrifles.com/

You are still a fool.
Jim Kobe did a great job on mine.

[Linked Image]

Ruger 99, yes, this one is a mouser.
Originally Posted by DBLNUT
I have a short action 700 that has a Krieger barrel chambered in a 250 AI. I am tired playing with it and want to rebarrel to a standard 250. Anybody have any gunsmiths to recommend? I am in Western Pa.

As I suggested sell that cheap push feed and look at better designs.

Just sell that push feed and buy another rifle.

Skip the standard 250 as the cartridge is dead and you won't find ammo. Also skip the 1-14" standard twist.

Butch's rifle has a good action. It must be a 250 too?
Posted By: DBLNUT Re: Gunsmith to do a 250 Savage - 10/10/14
I heard Greg Tannel does nice work on rifles, he has bushed 3-4 firing pin holes on Rem bolts for me and has been nice to talk to and a quick turnaround.
i didnt think rock creek was accepting any new orders..........
© 24hourcampfire