Home
Hello,

I recently purchased this custom built on an FN action. The previous owner gave me as much history as possible. It was built in 1959 the metalwork by Barney Conlin of PA and the stockwork by Hal Hartley and is chambered in 358 Win. It appears that the stock has the lines of other Hal Hartley stocks. I was wondering if any members might have a Hal Hartley stocked rifle for comparison?

Here are pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Can't say anything about it other than it is very nice. Jealousy burns in my heart... grin
Beautiful rifle. Well executed...
7x57Hunter;
Good morning to you sir and thanks for sharing the photos of your new rifle.

While I'm sorry to say I know less than nothing about the history of who built that stock, I can say after fooling with more than a few stocks over the years and examining quite a few more that whomever it was that built it knew what they were doing.

Very, very crisp lines in the flow and the checkering job is perfect as far as I could tell from the photos. cool

Congratulations on the new rifle and all the best to you this winter.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by 7x57Hunter
Hello,

I recently purchased this custom built on an FN action. The previous owner gave me as much history as possible. It was built in 1959 the metalwork by Barney Conlin of PA and the stockwork by Hal Hartley and is chambered in 358 Win. It appears that the stock has the lines of other Hal Hartley stocks. I was wondering if any members might have a Hal Hartley stocked rifle for comparison?

Here are pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful. "Blackburn" stamped inside the floorplate? Just curious. I'd like to see a close-up of the bolt side of the action and the barrel stamping/engraving.

Wondering also what the length of pull is?? Surely the recoil pad was added later.

NIce little flip-up peep, too.

That is a beauty.
Beautiful rifle. Still looks fresh too!
Gorgeous rifle.
That's a Hartley...Carolina Maple at it's best!Looks like you
got his re-worked swivels as well.Nice touch

I no longer have my rifle,but I've seen a lot of them in this area.
Mine was a 6mm Remington, also on a FN action.
Thanks for the comments guys, I am very happy with it, this is my first "custom".

No markings on the bottom metal (that I could find).

LOP is just over 13.5"

Here are a couple more photos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very, VERY nice rifle there! As others have stated, executed awfully well.

I hope that you are planning to hunt with it and kill some stuff. I would really like to see some photos in the near future of you and that rifle standing over a freshly dead big game animal.

I was about to ad over a freshly dead Demonrat, but the Landrieu race seems to indicate that those are getting to be a bit rare down your way. Might need to let 'em alone for a while... grin
Yes, I need to get to the range to fire a few shots on paper. Our landowner deer season is open until Dec 31 so hopefully I can get one this year!

That is a very nice looking rifle.
Custom rifles of this vintage are great examples of simplicity being elegant. Straight lines where they should be and curves likewise. Modern practice is to incorporate more sharp lines and edges into the design. While this can look as good, it is not as practical a the smooth contours of Hartley's stock. Carry a piece of sharp-edged lumber in your hand then carry a piece of doweling and tell me which one feels best.
If I made that stock today, I would be perfectly happy with it. GD
Very nice rifle in a cool chambering.
Originally Posted by 7x57Hunter
Hello,

Here are pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll take it.
Very nice snag......beautiful rifle. Enjoy.

MM
Greydog: I agree this rifle just feels "right".
I'm Smitten...Dad was a big Mauser Fan,especially the FN's n VZ 24 BRNOS CZECH made.So I followed suite...still hava a bunch of his customs...ScottyO.
Also...this has a 20" barrel...I think he is spot on with his stock proportions so that it still looks good.
© 24hourcampfire