Home
Posted By: bonefish Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/04/15
Other than a POI shift, anyone have feedback on these units?
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/04/15

A friend of mine has one. He said it works just fine.
Posted By: shooter42 Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/05/15
I have one. it works well. I have found out that some rifles the poi is more than others again proving each rifle is a sample unto itself.
Posted By: whitebread Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/05/15
I have one and it works well. Getting all the data in spreadsheet form is extremely useful. As for POI shift, I have found it really depends on the barrel. I have some rifles where it has no effect on POI or group size...and others where it will shift POI by 4" and throw bullets all over the place. Generally, my M40 type contours are stable and something like a tiny Kimber barrel does not fare so well.

It hasn't replaced my Chrony, but it is much more convenient and I can use it in the rain.
Posted By: prm Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/05/15
It certainly is convenient! I like mine so far. I have the very basic model. I don't think it's ever missed a shot and based on Brian Litz's test I believe it to be accurate. It does shift on the barrel a bit so you have to check it after each shot. That is on a thin Kimber Montana barrel. I don't know about group size and POI shift for sure. I plan to actually shoot groups one after the other to see what happens with and without. My initial impression is that POI has not shifted much if any. The sensor is very light.
Posted By: Bbear Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/05/15
I have a V3 that I really like. Most of my rifles shoot to the same POA/POI with or without it attached. A couple it moves the group and on one it opens it up a bit. Still, beats waiting for a cold line to go mess with the Chrony I had.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/05/15
I have one and like it for the way I use chronos.

If you like to measure every shot while working up loads with several rifles, one of the chronos with screens would probably be more convenient.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/05/15
Sounds like a winner. My needs for a Chrono are not elaborate. Convenience of use will go a long way toward my bringing it to the range. I ultimately am loading for hunting use not competition.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/05/15
Mine is modified to be a bench top model. It sits on the shooting bench. Therefore, all adjustments can be made without encroaching the firing line. All of it fits in a tackle tray in my shooting bag. I have used it in the rain, cold & bright sunlight. No quirks. Love it.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/05/15
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Mine is modified to be a bench top model. It sits on the shooting bench...

Got any pics? Have tossed this idea around a time or two myself.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/06/15
Only picture I have. I have since modified it to do away with the plywood extension. It works great!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/06/15
I have one, love it. If you pay attention to how it should be set up you will never shoot it. It is accurate too. I punched in my real fps from the magnetospeed into strelock and checked the dope and elevation and it was nuts on.
Posted By: 79S Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/07/15
I need to get one because the range I go to a public one gets crowded and setting up a chrono is a real pain in the ass. This would cut down on set up time and not feel rushed either.
Posted By: prm Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/07/15
The public range benefit is huge. I like the idea of having it not attached to the barrel. I may have to play with that.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/07/15
Originally Posted by prm
The public range benefit is huge. I like the idea of having it not attached to the barrel. I may have to play with that.

I have surveyed a non-modified bayonet. It would not be hard to arrange a bench top mount for it without having to modify the unit.

The ease of setup at the range is the #1 reason I made the switch from my pain in the butt Oehler 35P. Loved the MSpeed so much I sold the Oehler. I can adjust the MSpeed without ever encroaching the firing line or needing a cease-fire..
Posted By: CharlieSisk Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/13/15
I use this as my main/only chrono. I have not experienced the POI shifts others have mentioned. Maybe depends on the individual rifle.
Charlie
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/15/15
My friend said he has no shift with his. He was using it on his 6.5 X 300-WSM with his barrel having a 5.5 contour.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/19/15
Anybody here have insight on when the Sporter model will be available? I'm awaiting an email response from them.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/19/15
I am fairly sure it is available now but sold out.
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/20/15
Sporter is in-stock at LaRue.

http://www.laruetactical.com/magnetospeed-sporter
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/20/15
I like my magnetospeed a lot, and it gets a fair amount of use. I've seen both POI shifts and accuracy changes with it attached, no question. As such, I only shoot with it to capture velocities, as I don't trust those shots to confirm zero or accuracy.

Thought I was settled on a chrono, but I will say the Labradar has my attention...
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/20/15
Originally Posted by TexasTBag

Thanks!
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/20/15
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
Thought I was settled on a chrono, but I will say the Labradar has my attention...

Me too, IF it's ever brought to market...
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/20/15
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

Me too, IF it's ever brought to market...

For the last two years, if not three, there has been promise after promise of delivery dates. Set backs are the norm for the LabRadar vendor. He goes to the SHOT Shows and I believe its all he can afford to do for generating interest. I wouldn't look for it to ever hit the market. Considering this I would not trust customer service either if you ever did get one.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/22/15

Thanks!

I checked with them and they are on backorder.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/22/15
What's the difference between the $300+ V3 and the $189 Sporter?

DF
There's a chart here.
Posted By: midget Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/22/15

Thanks!

I checked with them and they are on backorder.

Check with Brownells, they had them in stock when I ordered one last saturday.
Thanks, Sinclair has them too and I ordered one from them earlier today.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 05/22/15
Yup,

I have had mine about three months. I don't think it has missed a shot. It does change the point of impact to a degree on some rifles which has changed the way I work up loads. I now try to find the max load with the chrono and then fine tune loads, seating depth ect. w/o it. At that point chrono for es etc.

It has saved time and I can shoot in any conditions and not worry about missing a shot.

Lefty C
Posted By: old_willys Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/03/15
Originally Posted by 79S
I need to get one because the range I go to a public one gets crowded and setting up a chrono is a real pain in the ass. This would cut down on set up time and not feel rushed either.

That is why I bought mine several years ago, it is the older V2 but works great and allows me to check my reloads without waiting hours for a range break...
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/03/15
I got my Sporter model today. Any tips on selecting the right sensitivity?
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/04/15
I got my Sporter model today. Any tips on selecting the right sensitivity?

If I'm not mistaken, the sporter has three sensitivity options: reg, hi1, and hi2. It might be worth giving REG a try with typical cup/core or monoliths being pushed "hi-power" rifle fast. The higher sensitivity kicks in when pushing things like slow lead slugs or small projectiles over the chronograph.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/04/15
[Linked Image]

I just got one.
I could not get it attached to a revolver.
I got it on a 22 rifle and it worked well.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/04/15
Ordered the Sporter model from Brownells this AM. With shipping was in the $180 range. Look forward to trying it out.

PACT is still working on my replacement unit that won't perform as well as the old '80's that died and was replaced. So, when I evenutally get it back, it may need to go down the road. They let me have it pretty cheap, so I should be able to get most of that investment back.

DF
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/07/15
I took my Sporter out for its maiden voyage this morning. It was easy and convenient to set up, which will be nice when there are others at the range. It did slide some on my MR contour barrel, even though I had the nut cinched down tight. The bigger question mark I have though is why the three loads I shot over it read higher than my Oehler, and not by just a little. A 223 with TAC and a 270 with Hunter both averaged 95 fps while a 300 Savage with TAC averaged 54 fps faster than they did previously over my Oehler. Next time I'll have to shoot both in tandem to see how they compare.
Posted By: mistem Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/10/15
I have the Magneto V3 and my bet the reason it is faster.....it's measuring the speed 2 inches from your barrel. Your other chronograph is probably in the at least 5 feet range smile
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/10/15
Good thing you put a smiley at the end cuz the 10 foot difference in where readings are taken would only account for about 8 of those fps. Could be lighting issues as I do most of my chronoing as the sun's coming up. However, I try to do it when it's cloudy to minimize sun angle. Or, it could just be due to inherent variations in small sample sizes. Will be interesting to see how readings compare from the same shots.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/11/15
Just got the Sporter from Brownells. Had them throw in a Sinclair heavy varmint rest for good measure. Rest is nicely put together for the price.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/14/15
Will be interesting to see how readings compare from the same shots.

I was able to do this this morning. I had the MagnetoSpeed on the muzzle while shooting through the sky screen window of the Oehler. Sky conditions were perfect for the Oehler- nicely overcast. Below are the individual shot readings, in the order fired. Velocities for the Oehler are instrumental readings, so muzzle velocities would be about 10 fps higher. MagnetoSpeed readings are the top line of each. The average difference between the instruments for all shots is in the low teens with differences decreasing as bullet diameter increased. I'm impressed!

223 Rem
M 3025, 3056, 3033, 3011, 3020 Ave. = 3029
O 3008, 3031, 3012, 2988, 2992 Ave. = 3006

M 3045, 3043, 3052 Ave. = 3046
O 3021, 3020, 3023 Ave. = 3021

6mm Rem
M 3178, 3179, 3237 Ave. = 3198
O 3153, 3150, 3215 Ave. = 3172

M 2996, 3053, 3017 Ave. = 3022
O 2968, 3030, 2995 Ave. = 2997

25-06 Rem
M 3330, 3344, 3346, 3341, 3370 Ave. = 3346
O 3314, 3323, 3322, 3315, 3345 Ave. = 3323

270 WCF
M 2986, 2967, 2984, 2955, 2949 Ave. = 2968
O 2964, 2946, 2965, 2935, 2931 Ave. = 2948
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/14/15
I'm impressed!

So am I..............those are very consistent correlations.

MM
I have the V3 and, yes, there are definitely advantages to a separate system (ie, the Chronys, or any light-diffusing system), but is anybody frustrated like a I am with recoil necessitating every-shot adjustment and re tightening on the barrel?
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/15/15
I haven't experienced a need to adjust after every shot but the most I've fired is five rounds before switching it to another barrel. It has slid forward after those five though, particularly on my MR contour barrel. Nowhere near what I'd call loose however.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/15/15
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I have the V3 and, yes, there are definitely advantages to a separate system (ie, the Chronys, or any light-diffusing system), but is anybody frustrated like a I am with recoil necessitating every-shot adjustment and re tightening on the barrel?

What about the magic blue tape made famous here on the Fire.

I would think a wrap or two on the barrel before attaching the V3 may solve your problem.

I have the Sporter, but due to the continual rain we've been having, haven't had a chance to see what it will do.

DF

Could work DF and good idea. But wait--a $ 300 techno chine that then needs the famous blue tape to hold the thing on the barrel?

We're we a little anxious to get this out on the market fellows? As the ESPN football coverage crew is want to say, "C'mon Magneto!"
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/16/15
Mine works perfectly...no shot to shot tightening, even on pencil like barrels. Get the right spacer, back out the adj knob as far as it goes. Tighten the strap and then the adjustment knob GTG
Best chrono I have ever used bar none.

Lefty C

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/16/15

Could work DF and good idea. But wait--a $ 300 techno chine that then needs the famous blue tape to hold the thing on the barrel?

No way to be "Fire cool" without that blue tape... cool

Just finding more uses for it... grin

DF
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Mine works perfectly...no shot to shot tightening, even on pencil like barrels. Get the right spacer, back out the adj knob as far as it goes. Tighten the strap and then the adjustment knob GTG
Best chrono I have ever used bar none.

Lefty C

I've tried that lefty- but can't seem to ever get it "that" tight.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

No way to be "Fire cool" without that blue tape... cool

Just finding more uses for it... grin

DF

Are you any relation to Red Green? grin
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/16/15
Blue, just blue... cool

DF
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/17/15
George,
Maybe the hardness of the rubber varies.....might be a time for ol blue, or maybe some rosin?

Lefty

LefIy-, in Red Green parlance, "the women have never found me too handy," but I'm always ready; have some ever present duct tape and the very fashioninable 'Ol Blue ready to go.
Posted By: pointer Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/19/15
I'd bet a small piece of doublesided scotch tape would keep it in place.

I'm really wanting one of these chrono's. I think they'd work perfectly for my needs.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/19/15
Originally Posted by pointer
I'm really wanting one of these chrono's. I think they'd work perfectly for my needs.

No better time than now. And free shipping on orders >$150 with code j2k. Brownells.
Posted By: pointer Re: Magnetospeed Chrono - 06/19/15
Thanks for the info! But right now, I am that broke...
© 24hourcampfire