Home
I have a newer Remington 700 sps long action that has been wasting safe space so I have decided to build a rifle. I have ordered a Shilen Match Grade SS #3 contour .30, 1/10 twist barrel and plan to chamber in 30-06....Cant explain why, I have no need for one, never liked the cartridge, and really don't see myself hunting with it, but I guess it could be a nice accurate loner rifle.

Anyways, wanted to get some feedback good or bad about Shilen Match barrels.(I can always return the barrel before we start work) Can I still cerakote over the stainless finish if I desire? The number 3 contour finishes about .625 at 24" - thick enough to flute? Would that offer any real benefit? Lastly, are shilen barrels picky or when done right do they shoot well?

I plan to load a 180 nosler Partition dummy round just shy of magazine length (So it will still feed) and chamber based on that round/dimensions.
I have two Shilens, a 340 in a #5 with deep flutes and a #3 in 358 Winchester. Both shoot very well and neither is fussy.
Have five here in the safe and not a turd in the bunch. They all have shot great and clean up easy.

Yes you can cerakote it.
I have always had great luck with shilen barrels. My .280AI has a SS # on it and its an absolute hammer.
Got three and all are absolute hummers. All shoot consistently in the twos with no problem.
Shilens have always treated me well. I'd advise you to check with them before having it fluted.

Oh, and by the way, the '06 will take anything on the North American continent!
Shilen's are very good barrels. In 32 years of Smithing I have never had one come back for any reason.

Shilen barrels are the only barrels I keep in stock in my shop. I will order and install any barrel the customer wants.

Wade Hull of Shilen will make special runs of barrels if the tooling is available. A few years ago I made and chambered a few 1919A4 barrels in 8X57 out of SS so the MG shooters could use the cheap eastern European corrosive ammo. A call to Wade got the ball rolling because he had to use 1.5 inch SS to have enough material to match the original contour of the 1919 barrels.

Shilen barrels is a class act. IME
have had excellent luck with shilen barrels.

Ed
I have had only a sample of one and it was a great barrel !
I have 8 right now. Never had an issue with any. Been thinking about a Bartlein, but just to try somthing different. One thing I do like about Shilen is I can usually get them fairly quick through "The Barrel man. " good prices and service.Google " The Barrel man" not an endorsement but he is a great guy to deal with . Never had a problem. These guys have been building barrels for a long time. Regarding fluting I think they say on there website that if you flute it, your warranty is void. Other than that they shoot if they are screwed on right. Never had a smith tell me not to use one.

This group is from a Shilen #-3 1-10 twist.

[Linked Image]
Their Select Match barrels are probably the best in the industry. Out of 7 shillen barrels, never a problem.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

This group is from a Shilen #-3 1-10 twist.

[Linked Image]

You wouldnt by chance be willing to share a picture of the rifle? Like to see what a finished #3 contour is looking like.

Okay, here are a few pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's all I have uploaded.
This rifle was made by Brown Precision.

It has a nice balance. Feels nice in my hands. It now has a Leupold VX 6 on it.

This rifle has always shot great.
Just got a #3 back from IT&D they screwed on a 700SA and chambered 25-284. Will be a while before I get to shoot it.
I've never owned a Shilen either. Based upon input from Dennisinaz I just purchased a Shilen 6mm 1:8 for a 6x47L project (6.5x47L necked down to 6mm).

Sure hope it works. Going to use a Defiance Rebel action, have not decided on a trigger yet. Probably going to use a McMillian stock.

Still thinking about glass also.

Wish me luck.
I have three of their barrels. They will shoot better than I can hold them. They are easy to get to shoot.
I also have only a sample of one but it's a good one. My 400 Whelen wears a Shilen barrel. Entirely happy with it.
[Linked Image]

Here is a group from my .280AI with a #3 Shilen zero check target.

I put first the shot right on the money then I totally flubbed the second shot and then the next two went where they were supposed too.

At the point this group was shot the barrel had been about 250 rounds without cleaning.
I've got one on my M70 280 AI, a winny fwt contour, it's been a great shooting barrel, no complaints at all.
I have installed hundreds of Shilen barrels over the last 40 years and have always been happy with them. When I started gunsmithing, the most popular aftermarket barrels were from Shilen or Douglas. Both were and are excellent barrels.
I have re-contoureda ton of Shilen barrels and have never has one warp or change measurably. The same goes for those I have machined octagon or half octagon; no apparent distortion and they shot well. GD
Mine is a Shilen 30" 264WM 1 in 8 twist and 6 grove shoots great.

[Linked Image]

Randy,
Can you tell me where to obtain some of the targets you depicted? I like.
I was able to read the website on his target.

http://www.precisionplustargets.com/hiviztargets2.htm
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

You wouldnt by chance be willing to share a picture of the rifle? Like to see what a finished #3 contour is looking like.

[Linked Image]

This is a #3 finished at 20" on a Model Seven. It's perfect, IMO, for a 35 caliber bore.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

[Linked Image]

Randy,
Can you tell me where to obtain some of the targets you depicted? I like.

Looks like mathman helped out with your request.

Here is the Link
I really like those targets.
I will be hosting the annual Shilen Swap Meet on April 23rd. I will post an announcement in a week or so.
Have a few Shilen barrel rifles and quite happy with them. Gents I shoot with on a regular basis at range we're members certainly don't hesitate to buy one. Couple of years ago we went to the Shilen Open house held in February. When walking into their place, a couple of other range members were leaving and each were carrying at least four barrels they'd purchased off Shilens rack of barrels accumulated since their last open house that were canceled orders, kinda rejects and etc. I would buy two of them....yep, they shot well for me.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I will be hosting the annual Shilen Swap Meet on April 23rd. I will post an announcement in a week or so.

I'm sure this thread should help with the Swap Meet.

I'm a fan of their barrels. I have wore one out, and have five rigged and ready to go in my safe.
I've never seen one that didn't shoot. I'm sure there might be some out there, I just haven't seen them.

Take care.
When I purchased a Shilen prefit for a Savage Precision Target Action, it arrived after a few months, but I found it wouldn't fit the action threads. Apparently Shilen cut the threads a bit oversize (maybe for a trued action with 0.010" oversize single pointed threads). The recoil lug also wouldn't fit. I called Shilen, and they asked that I send the barrel back and include the action so they check what went wrong. They returned it in about two weeks, assembled, with the caliber designation engraved on the barrel (federal regulation). When I ordered a subsequent barrel, I mentioned that the first return cost $95.00 UPS fees, which they said was their fault, so they discounted my order by that amount.

It's when things go wrong you can judge a company, and Shilen certainly lived up to customer service. Both barrels, and those I had from earlier builds are great shooters. Shilen, Hart, Brux, Krieger, and Pac-Nor are all among the better barrels in my experience.
Doug ,I think Sincair has some real similar.

I having my favorite 270 wby rebarreled as we speak with another shilen. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by huffmanite
Have a few Shilen barrel rifles and quite happy with them. Gents I shoot with on a regular basis at range we're members certainly don't hesitate to buy one. Couple of years ago we went to the Shilen Open house held in February. When walking into their place, a couple of other range members were leaving and each were carrying at least four barrels they'd purchased off Shilens rack of barrels accumulated since their last open house that were canceled orders, kinda rejects and etc. I would buy two of them....yep, they shot well for me.

Huffmanite,
There are no rejects in the barrels sold at the swap meet. They are kind enough to replace barrels that people change their minds and want something different. They are not machined and carry the same warranty as all their barrels
Have one shilen on a semi custom 7-08 rem 700. Blueprinted, Timney trigger Hs Precision stock, shoots like crap. All my other guns will out shoot this one whether a factory or semi custom. I have a couple Kriegers, and soon a Lilja and a couple coopers. The Coopers, Kriegers, all clean very nice. That shilen is rough and nasty. It's going to get a quality barrel soon. Just have to decide on a Kreiger or Lilja. You could pay me to take another Shilen!
Stainless or cromo?
Originally Posted by Pstores
Have one shilen on a semi custom 7-08 rem 700. Blueprinted, Timney trigger Hs Precision stock, shoots like crap. All my other guns will out shoot this one whether a factory or semi custom. I have a couple Kriegers, and soon a Lilja and a couple coopers. The Coopers, Kriegers, all clean very nice. That shilen is rough and nasty. It's going to get a quality barrel soon. Just have to decide on a Kreiger or Lilja. You could pay me to take another Shilen!

So you contacted Shilen and they said what? Kinda like you and Manner's stocks.
Sample of one from 1985, #3 CM .22-250 is still rolling along. It shot bug hole groups for years, now about an inch and a quarter. Thinking that i might need a new one ....

Contacted the Smithnand never heard back. I am going to have another recrown it and see if it shoots. If it doesn't it'll be rebarreled to a better quality barrel. They are rough inside compared my other barrels. Not sure what I said about Manners stocks. With except Tom Manners was great to deal with even though I didn't buy one from them based on price. The box mag added quiet abit. McMillan Edge at about 19oz for $644 was hard to beat. I did try to order a manners for my Cooper but they won't inlet one for them.
Well, I appreciate all the feedback. Really sounds like Shilen makes some good barrels. My project is underway and should be completed by end of March.

I am having the barrel finished at 24.5" but we are taking .50 off the shank and the rest off of the end. That way even at a finished length we should be around .635-.640 at the muzzle which should be perfect.

Barrel is going on an a blueprinted Remington 700 sps action, timney trigger, and setting in a BDL McMillan Classic Edge stock. Barrel is going to be bead blasted for a matte stainless finish.

Simple, yet hopefully accurate, and will be an amazing loaner rifle to whoever needs it. Will top it with a 3-9x40 euro optic zeiss conquest.
If you shoot that new rifle very much, It might not become a loaner.

It just might shoot some small "Bug-Holes"

Wishing good luck with your rifle.

Contacted the Smithnand never heard back. I am going to have another recrown it and see if it shoots. If it doesn't it'll be rebarreled to a better quality barrel. They are rough inside compared my other barrels. Not sure what I said about Manners stocks. With except Tom Manners was great to deal with even though I didn't buy one from them based on price. The box mag added quiet abit. McMillan Edge at about 19oz for $644 was hard to beat. I did try to order a manners for my Cooper but they won't inlet one for them.

Sounds like you have a great smith. I don't anybody has a right to bitch about a product until you give the mfg. a chance to address any perceived problem.
Yes, I read all your crying about Manners and company.
I have contacted Shilen a half a dozen times over the years regarding barrel questions etc and found their customer service to be just fine. Honest, informed etc. the two smiths I have used to install them always commented that they were always great to work with. The distributer I have used " The barrel man" has nothing but good things to report as well. I have a number of friends that have more than one with zero complaints. Buy with confidence, shilen would not have lasted this long without doing things right.
Butch you want to buy a 7-08'shilen for $275.00 less than 50 rounds? Be a heck of a price:... Chambered and crowned... That a heck of a deal.
Seems you don't value anyone else's experiences or opinions. Then you become very aggressive towards them. Sorry you feel your so much better than the rest of us. You can't tell me shilens are of the same quality and finish as lilja and Krieger. Ever scope each one? Anyway I am glad you feel so much better attacking me. Have a great day.
Exactly as I thought. Just using the forums to cry. Same as you did with Tom Manners. At least you contacted him. Yeah, I am better than you. If I have a problem I give the MFG a chance to help me and it works. I have scoped and handled way more barrels than you will in 5 lifetimes. When I was in the barrel business I sold 1000-1500 barrels a year. The barrel makers are concerned with customers problems and will address them. Yes a bad barrel gets out from time to time, but I've never known them not to take care of it. I have used several Bartlein, Kreiger, Rock, the original Broughtons, Hart, Shilen,LW,Obermyer, and Douglas. I've only used one Lilja and it shoots well.
First off you don't know anything about me. It so nice when people ask for an opinion and you get attacks for giving you opinion and experiences. So you up to buying my 7-08 barrel. Be happy to sell it to you. $275 seems like a great price. Might even go 250. Chambered and crowned. It's a 4 contour.
Stainless?
Yep
I have a few Shilens, all small stuff, 17, 20 and 22 cals. All of them have shot exceptionally well.
I know a couple of national champion highpower shooters that have not had issues with Shilen...

I have a USED shilen on a 6x6.8 SPC done by a smith that knows his stuff, that shoots awful nice groups for a used tube on an AR...around .5moa
Sample of two that I know of personally. Both slow twist 22-250s to replace shot out varmint barrels. Both shoot very well. In fairness, they are not on benchrest guns but I know .5 inch 5 shot groups at 100yds are the norm for both of them off a rest. They both clean easily and don't copper up quickly. Both owners are very happy with what they got.
Is there some reason the parties involved in the chitslinging contest here feel the need to do it in the open forum rather than via PM? Just saying, this seems to happen a lot here lately.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Is there some reason the parties involved in the chitslinging contest here feel the need to do it in the open forum rather than via PM? Just saying, this seems to happen a lot here lately.

This is a great question.... As far as I feel forums are a great place to gain information from others experiences. I read and depend on and value people's opinions especially on here. Forums have a tendency to go south when individuals are allowed to attack and stifle the the ideas, opinions and experiences of others. I have never anywhere attacked a person because of their opinions. I listen to what they have to say and if I disagree I except that. Then search out information as to why they may have come up with thier conclusion. Forums are here for people to learn from others. There is a way to have constructive healthy discussions and then there is not. If you go back and read. I never attacked nor did I put down anyone in this thread. Sad to say someone seems to enjoy attacking me. Now hopefully we can move on.
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I have a newer Remington 700 sps long action that has been wasting safe space so I have decided to build a rifle. I have ordered a Shilen Match Grade SS #3 contour .30, 1/10 twist barrel and plan to chamber in 30-06....Cant explain why, I have no need for one, never liked the cartridge, and really don't see myself hunting with it, but I guess it could be a nice accurate loner rifle.

Anyways, wanted to get some feedback good or bad about Shilen Match barrels.(I can always return the barrel before we start work) Can I still cerakote over the stainless finish if I desire? The number 3 contour finishes about .625 at 24" - thick enough to flute? Would that offer any real benefit? Lastly, are shilen barrels picky or when done right do they shoot well?

I plan to load a 180 nosler Partition dummy round just shy of magazine length (So it will still feed) and chamber based on that round/dimensions.

You will like it and it may just end up being your go to Big Game Rifle
There are some here whose sole reason for visiting this forum is to attack others. The profanity, name calling and crude sexual innuendos are pretty juvenile, most adults have outgrown that kind of behavior when they graduated from junior highschool. Too bad that there seems to be a group on this forum that finds this kind of behavior entertaining to the point of encouraging it.
Gunswizard I agree with you 100% untill moderators start banning these individuals to where they don't have anywhere to start that crap unfortunately it won't stop. Come on moderators let's make these forums a place for the majority to enjoy not the minority to ruin
First off you don't know anything about me. It so nice when people ask for an opinion and you get attacks for giving you opinion and experiences. So you up to buying my 7-08 barrel. Be happy to sell it to you. $275 seems like a great price. Might even go 250. Chambered and crowned. It's a 4 contour.

I buy barrels a lot cheaper than that and can chamber it myself.
I know enough about you by reading your posts.
Butch, Just for you I'll do $170 for a select match grade stainless barrel. Chambered, threaded and crowned. No labor for you. now that is a great price even for you.
they used to be all the rage but it seem fads have changed...I doubt you will be disappointed...the barrel maker is only part of a great rifle it need to be properly machined and chambered and on a good action with a properly bedded stock and mounted scope...don't forget about the jerk behind the trigger...
I'm building a 308 and will have it finished today, I'm using the # 17 Shilen Contour SS Select Match barrel 1&10. I chambered it yesterday and still have it in the lathe. I will polish, bead blast and cut and crown today. I will post the results when finished. I love Shilen Barrels and will take them over any other brand.
Originally Posted by bea175
I'm building a 308 and will have it finished today, I'm using the # 17 Shilen Contour SS Select Match barrel 1&10. I chambered it yesterday and still have it in the lathe. I will polish, bead blast and cut and crown today. I will post the results when finished. I love Shilen Barrels and will take them over any other brand.

What reamer did you use? SAAMI? M852? Palma?

The official SAAMI minimum chamber seems sloppy to me. Why have the throat be two full thousandths over bullet diameter?

Why is the neck so large? The largest loaded necks I've measured are .340" on some LC66 ball ammo. Everything else, including the thicker Lapua, Federal, and several LC match vintages have all been .338" or smaller.
Originally Posted by mathman

The official SAAMI minimum chamber seems sloppy to me. Why have the throat be two full thousandths over bullet diameter?

Why is the neck so large? The largest loaded necks I've measured are .340" on some LC66 ball ammo. Everything else, including the thicker Lapua, Federal, and several LC match vintages have all been .338" or smaller.

Mathman,
I guess I missed on his neck dimensions. Did he post it on another post? What neck to chamber neck clearance do you recommend and why?
I didn't note him saying what reamer/diameter he used. My question was relative to SAAMI dimensions.

When I need to have one of my 308's redone it'll be with a reamer no larger than .342" in the neck and with a .3085" throat.

I know very accurate 308 rifles can be assembled with a SAAMI spec reamer. I was quite impressed with the test targets a friend of mine produced with a rifle he put together using a 3 groove Lilja and a SAAMI minimum reamer. But I see no good reason to stick with those dimensions for my purposes. I want to get all the good I can out of the pains I take to assemble straight cartridges, and I'd like to eliminate unnecessary slop in the set up.
Originally Posted by mathman

Standard 308 PTG with bushing finished today

[Linked Image]

Standard 308 PTG with bushing finished today

[Linked Image]

That looks like a rifle I'd be proud to bring to the range.
Not to bad for an Amature gunsmith. So far every rifle I have built has been a half inch group or better at 100 yards . will see what this one does next week
The load you mentioned in the other post ought to be a good baseline. It wouldn't surprise me to see it beat 1/2 moa out of the gate.
© 24hourcampfire