Home
Posted By: 7mmMagnum Reamer for 6.5-284 Win70 SA - 04/29/16
I have an FN built Winchester 70 short action Featherweight that i'd like to turn into a 6.5-284 Norma.

I can get to 3.1" max by removing the spacer in the mag & i have a stockpile of Barnes 120gn TTSX's to use in it. Has anyone got any ideas about suitable reamer specs to make this work? I've been told this one will work, any thoughts?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 6.5-284 Win SA Reamer - 04/29/16
Speaking from experience, I wouldn't go to great lengths worrying about what reamer to use. Stick to the 'standard' 6.5x284 Norman version and press on.

The SA M70, with the proper mods will handle the 6.5x284 quite well. Again, speaking from experience, replace the mag box and follower with one from a M70 WSM. Likewise, replacing the bolt stop with one from a WSM doesn't hurt.

I've had 3, 6.5x284s (Norma). 2 were built on M700 actions - 1 LA, 1 SA. The 700 SA version (as a repeater) never really performed the way I thought it should. As a single-shot, it did well. The 3rd 6.5x284 was built on a SC M70 SA, with the aforementioned modifications. Functioned and fed well, and was a solid performer. The added magazine length of the SA M70 over the 700 SA DOES make a difference. In the end, someone else decided that they NEEDED the m70 6.5x284 more than I did and it has a new owner. The LA M700 6.5x284 is still under my roof.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: 6.5-284 Win SA Reamer - 04/30/16
I would call and talk to Dave Kiff at PTG.

You will get some knowledgeable answers (see above), and Kiff has sold more than one reamer and knows a bit about throating, etc.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 6.5-284 Win SA Reamer - 05/01/16

These days, I'd call Dave Manson at Manson. Chances are better that you'll actually get to talk to him and/or the product will be available and ship the same day. There's a thread elsewhere on the 'Fire that speaks to the customer service (or lack there of) at PT&G.

If you're set on a PT&G reamer, here's your huckleberry . . .

http://www.bullets.com/products/6-5mm-x-284-Lapua-Norma-Chambering-Finish-Reamer/T23207

Same reamer I've used on all my 6.5x284s, including the M70 SA version I spoke of above.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 6.5-284 Win SA Reamer - 05/01/16
My reamer lets me load to almost 3.1" with Bergers. It has a no-turn neck (.298" I think) and probably about a .160 freebore but I would have to look at my print to see for sure. Got this one back when you could actually get stuff from PTG like you ordered. Has cut a lot of accurate chambers.
Posted By: 7mmMagnum Re: 6.5-284 Win SA Reamer - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

You will get some knowledgeable answers (see above), and Kiff has sold more than one reamer and knows a bit about throating, etc.

Thanks for the advice, I've done exactly that.
Originally Posted by WiFowler

These days, I'd call Dave Manson at Manson. Chances are better that you'll actually get to talk to him and/or the product will be available and ship the same day. There's a thread elsewhere on the 'Fire that speaks to the customer service (or lack there of) at PT&G.

If you're set on a PT&G reamer, here's your huckleberry . . .

http://www.bullets.com/products/6-5mm-x-284-Lapua-Norma-Chambering-Finish-Reamer/T23207

Same reamer I've used on all my 6.5x284s, including the M70 SA version I spoke of above.

Thanks for the info above. Much appreciated.

I'm not set on a PTG reamer, but my gunsmith is.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
My reamer lets me load to almost 3.1" with Bergers. It has a no-turn neck (.298" I think) and probably about a .160 freebore but I would have to look at my print to see for sure. Got this one back when you could actually get stuff from PTG like you ordered. Has cut a lot of accurate chambers.

Thanks for that!

Would you mind sharing your reamer print with me? I'd like to show my smith and see what he thinks.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 6.5-284 Win SA Reamer - 05/02/16
You probably already know there is a slight difference between the 6.5x284 Win and the 6.5x284 Norma so depends on which type of brass you will be using on which reamer you choose. Same for the reloading dies.
Originally Posted by Tejano
You probably already know there is a slight difference between the 6.5x284 Win and the 6.5x284 Norma so depends on which type of brass you will be using on which reamer you choose. Same for the reloading dies.

Lapua Brass, Redding Deluxe dies.
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5-284 Win SA Reamer - 05/02/16

My reamer has a .188" freebore.

OAL with the Bergers loaded about .020" in the lands is 3.115"
© 24hourcampfire