Home
Not sure what forum to ask....

Anyone own one of these? Thoughts?
I have one, but have used it very little. The throat from the factory was extremely long, and I was unable to get groups that were acceptable to me. I have since had the barrel set back and the crown re-cut, but have not had the time to play at the range again. Mine is admittedly a sample of one.... ymmv.

Good luck,
David
I shot the 5R years ago in H.P. comp. Was supposed to be the cat`s meow.. Barrel was made by Obermeyer, 26 inch long,SS, 1x10 twist, and fitted to my, 40-x. Put 10k rounds through it. I can`t say it got me more x`s than the original Rem. barrel.
What are you thinking is better about them?
I think if you can find them for a good price, they are worth the bump in price over the standard blued steel heavy-barrel 700 .308 rifles. Some like the stocks, some do not. I am in the "do not" crowd. But they fetch about $225-250 online, which helps with the cost of an alternative stock. The only other possible downside is the typical mile-long Remington .308 throat, but most examples seem to shoot well in spite of it.

I bought a used 24" model last year, had it cut back to 22" and bead blasted dull, and put it in one of Mag-Pul's ugly 700 DBM stocks. I also swapped in an old-style SS trigger. It's not a picky rifle and it is easy to shoot. At the end of the day, it's an SS 700 with maybe better than average accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Only pic I have was when we popped a really big freezer-doe at the end of last season. This rifle likes 168gr Ballistic Tips and 155gr Scenars pretty well.
I sure wouldn't pay a penny extra for the 5R land profile. I've known of the profile, but just learned today what 5R means.
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I shot the 5R years ago in H.P. comp. Was supposed to be the cat`s meow.. Barrel was made by Obermeyer, 26 inch long,SS, 1x10 twist, and fitted to my, 40-x. Put 10k rounds through it. I can`t say it got me more x`s than the original Rem. barrel.
What are you thinking is better about them?

A couple of years ago I had a Rem 700 LTR that would stack bullets all day long. I got greedy and traded it away. I thought this might be a possible stainless replacement?
I had a 24" it shot decent and was a nice rifle. I didn't care for the stock either and it went to a friend who liked it.

Here was a typical group with cheap factory ammo with one pulled.

[Linked Image]
My intention was to buy this and add a jewel trigger and bed it in a McMillan A-5.
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I shot the 5R years ago in H.P. comp. Was supposed to be the cat`s meow..
Barrel was made by Obermeyer,..

Mike Rock orig. supplied Remington with the 5r, before Remington started making their own version.
Rock, Krieger and Chanlan skilled themselves at Obermyer.
I`ve gone to PAC-NOR now for all my barrels. Have about ten in various cals. Both in CM and SS. Been very happy so far.
Again as far as the 5-R, think if the OP still had questions, I would suggest he look to the brnech rest crowd...bug holers, if they find that profile bennifical, try it.
Originally Posted by Supertrucker
My intention was to buy this and add a jewel trigger and bed it in a McMillan A-5.

Why not get a 700 Varmint SF and do the same? The difference in the list prices would nearly cover the McMillan.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I sure wouldn't pay a penny extra for the 5R land profile. I've known of the profile, but just learned today what 5R means.

I know this much, 5R Rock on my 308 is the most accurate 308 I've ever shot.

Not sure that it helped, it did not hurt.

I can also say that I"m convinced that odd number of lands/grooves helps with pressure issues. Which makes me lean that way especially for solid copper bullets
I had one of the 24" 5Rs in .308.

It was the most accurate, easy to load for factory rifle I've ever had. All I ever did to it was lighten the trigger and tighten the action bolts.

That being said, the ergos were terrible for me. I could never get comfortable with that stock in any position.

Unless you just love the stock, I'd not pay the premium they bring over the other heavy .308s. I listed mine for not much less than new price and sold it very quickly.

That rifle did have the longest throat I've ever had on a rifle.
I bought one a few years back and have had a lot of fun with it. It is without a doubt the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. I didn't like the way the stock fit me so I sold and replaced it. After that I replaced the trigger with a Jewel and put a Badger dropbox on it for some reason. The rifle is consistently accurate and a lot of fun to shot. I would recommend one.

[Linked Image]
The 5 R models have a throat that is a mile long, and the ones that I have worked with shot, not so good till they were rechambered with a reamer with .090 long, then they were tack drivers.
I have one in 300 Win mag and one in 26 Nosler. Both great shooters and clean easy.
I have one in 308.

I feel that any quality ammo that I feed this rifle will at least shoot okay (1" at 100 yards). I own and have owned many rifles that will out shoot this one with their favorite load. But in my 5R, all the loads I have tried of at least average hunting grade shoot the same (about an inch at 100 yards). I value this rifle for its indifference to what it's being fed, not necessarily for the group size it turns in.

While I don't intend to start a urinary olympiad on the subject, I will say that my confidence in the factory trigger Remington provides is non-existent. My X-Mark Pro is in the landfill somewhere since I replaced it with a Timney.

I recommend the rifle highly. My buddy has one in 300 Win Mag and he has had success with it as well. Best of luck!!
© 24hourcampfire