Home
I had several boring black stocks and thought I would get out some sponges and Krylon camo paints and give it a shot. It was easier than I thought. Top is a Manners. Bottom two are McMillan Edge.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Very nice work!
An artiste!

Mike
Daaaang. Any details you can share on your process?
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
An artiste!

Mike

+1 - Nice work there 257. Those turned out nice - really like the one with the red recoil pad, slick!!
Originally Posted by CreekChub

^^^ THIS ^^^

Been thinking about doing the same to a couple of McM's that I have. A faux Manners Midnight Camo would be at the top of my list.

What type of sponge did you use?

That came out awesome!
Originally Posted by WiFowler

^^^ THIS ^^^

Been thinking about doing the same to a couple of McM's that I have. A faux Manners Midnight Camo would be at the top of my list.

I just ordered a bag of sponges off of Amazon - You get 6 or 7 small ones in a bag and free shipping. These:

Painting Sponges - Link Here

Rubbed the stocks down with a rag and some acetone. Taped off the pads. And used camo forest green and khaki flat paints. I just bought spray paint and sprayed it on my cardboard "drop cloth", dipped the sponges, and blotted the paint on. Way too easy.

What's really cool is I just noticed that the khaki sponge looks like a Zombie profile....so I'm now ready to kill some zombies!!

That middle rifle is the last rifle I own that Mickey Coleman built for me. I borrowed a 25-204 reamer and sent it to him with the barrel and action. He had it back to me in about 30 days perfect as can be. Kampfeld did some bolt work on it. Fun rifle and now it's pretty!

Damn those look amazing!
Originally Posted by WiFowler

^^^ THIS ^^^

It's been a couple of hours now since 257H posted this - I'm surprised I haven't gotten a text from you already showing three or four newly painted stocks. laugh
Those look great. Did you do one color and let dry before applying the other color. Are you going to clear coat over everything. Thanks for any more information.
Well done 257!
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Those look great. Did you do one color and let dry before applying the other color. Are you going to clear coat over everything. Thanks for any more information.

I was going to clear coat, but now maybe not. Seems tough enough and will get tougher when it cures. I did the olive drab first and waited maybe 15 minutes. It was mostly dry when I did the khaki.

Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Well done 257!

That means a lot coming from THE MASTER!! Thanks.
Great job 257, I think I'm gonna try this on a couple of mine
Nicely doneđź‘Ť
Awesome job. Thanks for posting that.
Looks really good. Just post your address now and people can send you their stocks! Give you something to do this winter
Is the base black or green?
Black stocks. I got the green too solid.....I guess the sponge didn't have enough holes in it.

Nice job!
Looks great 257! As you say, the green covers most of the black; I'd at least consider sponging a little flat black on there just for the added contrast. But heck man... those look great!

Ironically... I have a Manners with GAP camo waiting for me back home at the FedEx store... can't wait! It's a good look.
Damn, Nice job, those look great.
Looks great from my house. Congrats!!
Looks like they came directly from Manners. Great job and thanks for sharing!
Those look awesome! I'm gong with a manners on my next rifle just because I like their paint scheme so much. Very nice work 257!
Those look awesome
I really like the Manners camo pattern and you have done a great job duplicating it.

Well done
Dang, those stocks turned out really good. I'm going to give this a shot.
Those look great. Wish I had thought of that - I wouldn't have had to replace all my McM's with Manners.
Nice Job. Thank You for sharing your secret. I am going to buy the sponges and give it a shot.

I was inspired by 257heaven project so I ordered the same sponges and paint.

this was a borden stock that I painted black and tried my hand with the sponges. Taped off the recoil pad and it turned out pretty good. Thanks for the help 257heaven!!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very cool. I just took delivery of a tan Manners and will take dark brown and black paint to it. I will try to go a little more sparse with the sponge spots this time.

Painted another Manners today with dark brown and olive drab. Base stock was tan. Then shot it with some matte clear. Turned out okay, I guess.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
All those look fantastic. Very nice.
Incase anyone was wondering, yes you can do this to a Kimber Montana over the factory grey and it will look good. Used Krylon camo khaki and deep forest green. Really happy with the look:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The deep forest green does not "pop" against the grey stock - you get much more green out of it when applied to a black stock. That said, I like the look and thought the army green may have been too light.

I think you have to pick your colors like picking a McSwirly. My favorites have always been 1 lighter color and 2 darker colors that compliment. In this case, khaki is the light, and Kimber Grey/Deep Forest Green are the darks.

Kinda turned out like KUIU verde in some ways.
Originally Posted by Danny1788
I was inspired by 257heaven project so I ordered the same sponges and paint.

this was a borden stock that I painted black and tried my hand with the sponges. Taped off the recoil pad and it turned out pretty good. Thanks for the help 257heaven!!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Quick question. Any issue with the sponge paint filling in the checkering on the grip or fore arm of the Borden stock? I have a Pacific Rimrock stock (precursor to the Borden stocks?). It has really nice, fine, grippy, checkering. I have avoided painting it because I did not want to fill in the checkering.
Love the way the kimber turned out!
Thanks 17.

Got the off season itch to make some changes, and maybe paint is all it took.

Now, if it shoots the factory 270win ELX from Hornady into decent groups...I'll be a really happy camper.
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Incase anyone was wondering, yes you can do this to a Kimber Montana over the factory grey and it will look good. Used Krylon camo khaki and deep forest green. Really happy with the look:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks awesome!
Tag
I've got an unpainted edge adjustable game scout coming and hope to do the gap light greys .
Bump for those looking at the other thread...

So the black on these is actually the stock, not black paint?
The 3 of mine were black stocks and I used khaki and olive drab on the sponges. But no reason why you couldn't duplicate it with black and khaki on an olive drab stock.

I want to do my gray Kimber stock with black and khaki.
tag so I can try to do this...…

nice job!!

burt2506
tag
Tag. I was looking for options for a scuffed-up Montana stock.
It ain't difficult.
Tag to try also
Tag.....like the GAP job.
© 24hourcampfire