[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thats Nice!!
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's nice. Looks like a classic trying its best to imitate a pre 64. I'll bet it shoots damn well too.. I do love the brown and red combo on the stock. One of my favorite color schemes..
Extremely nice!
Brown seems to be a trend

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

7 mag, Mark Penrod metal work
Originally Posted by utah708
Brown seems to be a trend

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

7 mag, Mark Penrod metal work

That's a beauty. I like the fact they give you the option for a left cheek piece....
Before photo.

[Linked Image]

After
[Linked Image]
D'Arcy's stock, Redneck's barrel/action work and I did the rest.
Pre 64 M70 300 H&H, #2 lilja, love the thing.....

[Linked Image]
Hard to go wrong with something like that.
Bump for more Legend pictures!
Two hydrodipped Legends. I explained to the dipping guy how the grain should run up through the grip--I thought he did a pretty good job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A .338 Win that I carried to Africa.

[Linked Image]
This is a 375 H&H that went down the road for being too heavy.

[Linked Image]

I retrospect, I wish I had not dipped them. The film fills in the checkering too much.
Three that I used to own. I made the move to lighter rifles. The 7 Mashburn to a 7 pound all-up 280, and the 358 to a 7 1/2 pound 9.3X62. And the 6mm to a lighter 6mm! grin

L-R: 6mm Rem, 7 Mashburn Super, 358 Norma.

The 6mm Rem is a 1947 M70 transition action. Blackburn bottom metal, Brux #3 SS 8-twist 24" barrel, Legend Edge stock. The metal is Gunkoted to resemble a matte blue finish. A 3.5-10X40 matte CDS in low DDs. With the #3 barrel it weighs 8 pounds 11 oz.

The Mashburn is a virtual copy of BobinNH's baby. M70 Classic action with Wisner extractor and Williams bottom metal. Pre-64 trigger, follower and mag spring. Custom bolt handle. Krieger #2 9-twist 24" barrel, Legend Edge stock. A 3.5-10X40 matte B&C in low DDs. It weighs 8 pounds 5 oz.

The 358 Norma is a M70 Classic Stainless action with Williams extractor. Slimmed bottom metal, pre-64 follower and mag spring. Pac-Nor 12 twist barrel. Legend standard fill stock. It used to be a 24" barrel, I had it shortened to 22 1/2". Lost about 50 fps, but it feels better in the thick stuff. A 1.75-6X32 with Premier Reticles #4 reticle. 8 pounds 7 oz.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Two hydrodipped Legends. I explained to the dipping guy how the grain should run up through the grip--I thought he did a pretty good job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A .338 Win that I carried to Africa.

[Linked Image]
This is a 375 H&H that went down the road for being too heavy.

[Linked Image]

I retrospect, I wish I had not dipped them. The film fills in the checkering too much.

It looks very cool though for what it's worth.
Kaleb--

I thought it was cool, as well. But I didn't want anybody duplicating them without having shared the downside of globbing up the checkering.
My Penrod built 280 Rem.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
wow, very nice!
Damn. Gorgeous.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
My Penrod built 280 Rem.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2 thumbs up. Looks fantastic!!!
I had Gene Simillion build me a .338 Win Mag with a Winchester Model 70 Stainless Classic in an Echols Legend stock. Brown w/black flecks and red pad on the stock. Black cerokoat on all metal. Williams bottom metal and all the stuff Gene does to a Model 70 including a four round magazine capacity. Leupold VX-6 2-12x in Gene's mounts.

Gene e-mailed me last night that he would have it at his booth in Vegas for SCI, I'm not going so maybe someone could get a picture and post it.
Simillion M70 7mm Mashburn Super

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Simillion M70 7mm Mashburn Super

[Linked Image]

Bob.... That is a very nice rifle.
Whitebird: Thanks. It is the best 7 mag I've ever owned.

Gene did a great job.
Thanks guys.

And Bob, I always liked that rifle. Very nice!
Probably about as close as I will get to a working pair of legends... Both Pre-64's.

Top is an 338 Alaskan done by Gene Simillion... and bottom is a custom done by Mark Penrod in 7Mag. Asked Mark to do every functional improvement he would do to a pre-64 for his own rifle. Trigger, safety, truing, races etc. etc. Both Legend stocks. Gene did the load development and stock work etc. on the top one.

[Linked Image]
Nice stuff on here guys!
Great thread and spectacular rifles.
My "near" 416 Rem.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love the 416 and others. Yea!
Here is my pre-64 moose rifle, a 9.3x62 in a carbon fiber Legend stock and virtually every piece of metal done with a different finish by D'arcy in order to see which works the best

[Linked Image]
Thanks (again) Phil, love that picture/rifle....
Phil. What is the rod sticking out of the stock.
Phil. What is the rod sticking out of the stock.
Not Phil, but it looks like a mount for a light.

Cheers
Closest I will come to a Legend in foreseeable future. LH M70 in a Legend stock. Lilja #4 chambered .300H&H, with Pre-64 sight set on barrel. If I had it to do over, I would drop back at least to a Lilja #3. Possibly a #2 like handwerk's rifle above.

[Linked Image]
All top notch rifles here, from what I've seen... I wish GSSP would show his 9.3x62mm...
Who did your sight installation work on the 300 H&H nice rifle.
While I also am not Phil, it is a Picatinny rail. Mount a light where you punch the end of the light to turn it on, and you have the slickest and quickest rig imaginable. Install the rail carefully and you can merely shoot to the center of the light spot at "fight stopping" ranges. When I took my .416 Rem setup to Zim, the leopard guides thought it was a grand idea.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Who did your sight installation work on the 300 H&H nice rifle.

Jeff Hankins at Hankins Custom Rifles, Dry Ridge, KY.
[Linked Image]

Pre-64 270.

Chet
Beautiful rifles fellas. I'm still waiting on my Legend stocked MSM. I also have a 338 Alaskan getting a Legend.

Keep them coming.
[Linked Image]
Someone inform me on the Legend stock, would it be appropriate on a featherweight?
Bt, the stock design is wonderful, but for me it's best with a #2 barrel or larger.
I like my featherweights in a mcm compact as I feel the legend forend is too wide for the lighter barrel profiles, but thats just me, others with Fwts. seem happy with the legend and a light contour.
Thanks handwerk, it looks a little big in the forend for a light contour. Im leaning towards the mcm compact. The pics I have seen of it seem more condusive to the featherweight.
Originally Posted by bt8897
Someone inform me on the Legend stock, would it be appropriate on a featherweight?

Echols has built his Legends with the Krieger FW contour (.560@22")

..then theres this M70 of Pathfinder76, thin tubed/Legend stocked:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/11205629/Win_70_Pre-64_build_questions
A Brown Precision looks better and feels better with a featherweight contour of 22" or longer.
Here is the newest real Legend made for my daughter. It is a 416 rem built on a stainless G series M-70 with Edge stock and weighs 7# 13oz with the Leupold 2 1/2 compact and the Echol's designed picitinny rail mount on the barrel for a Surefire

[Linked Image]

Two days after leaving SCI she and I stopped in the desert near Wickenberg and she fired a full box of ammo offhand at grapefruit sized chunks of quartz from 40 to 60 yards away and missed very few. Those 400 gr bullets turned quartz boulders in white mushroom clouds!
wow thats pretty nice .cool about pulling over and shooting.

Interesting comment. I have a couple of Rimrocks (w/checkering) that I have given some thought to having them dipped. Liking the KUIU V2 patterns (Verde & Vias) and Desolve Bare.
Originally Posted by 458Win
Here is the newest real Legend made for my daughter. It is a 416 rem built on a stainless G series M-70 with Edge stock and weighs 7# 13oz with the Leupold 2 1/2 compact and the Echol's designed picitinny rail mount on the barrel for a Surefire

[Linked Image]

Two days after leaving SCI she and I stopped in the desert near Wickenberg and she fired a full box of ammo offhand at grapefruit sized chunks of quartz from 40 to 60 yards away and missed very few. Those 400 gr bullets turned quartz boulders in white mushroom clouds!

That is a wicked rifle.. Looks like the 2.5X Leupold made it's way on that rifle as well! Too cool!
I have a "near legend" being built right now by Lee aka "redneck" right now. When its done, I will post pics...

G series Stainless 70 action tuned up by lee - 338 win mag
Williams Extractor
Super Grade 1 piece bottom metal
Shilen #3 barrel at 24"
McMillan Supergrade Stock
Talley steels
Cerakoted Graphite Black
Zeiss hd5 2-10x

Close as I can afford to a legend, but should be a damn nice rifle.
© 24hourcampfire