Home
Posted By: fishnut X Caliber barrels - 02/01/17
It's time to re barrel one of my rifles and a local gun smith is recommending an X Caliber barrel but I've had no experience with them. It's going to be an 8 twist 243 24". What are guys thoughts on these barrels?
Posted By: SBTCO Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/01/17
I put the same barrel on my kids .243 (stainless). Shot fine with factory Fusion ammo 1"-. Haven't rung it out yet with hand loads but... I live in the Flathead Valley where X-Caliber is located and have been to their operation. Seems to be clean and well organized.
Posted By: Hess Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/01/17
I'll be curious where this thread goes in that I'm interested in getting a barrel from them as well. Seems like their prices are very fair. Lots of fluting options too, if you're into that.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/01/17
Tagged. Thinking of ordering one of these for a 223 build.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/01/17
I'm thinking of using a savage drop in for a creedmoor build.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/02/17
Are they button rifled or cut rifled?
Posted By: gzig5 Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/02/17
Pretty sure X-caliber are buttoned. I've heard a lot of good things about them in the smaller bores but not a lot of reports for 6mm and larger. I don't know of a cut rifled barrel available for less than $300 other than from a re-borer and they are starting with your material.
Posted By: bbassi Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/07/17
FYI - they have a February sale going on. buy one, get the second 1/2 off if you order on line.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/07/17
Originally Posted by bbassi
FYI - they have a February sale going on. buy one, get the second 1/2 off if you order on line.

I almost ordered one for a 35 whelen project a few months ago. That pricing makes it hard to turn down
Posted By: msinc Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/08/17
I only have experience with one. I have a Ruger American 223 that just wouldn't shoot. I got an Excaliber barrel, threaded and chambered it and now it shoots fantastic. I should add that I also changed the stock and trigger. Could have had a Kimber for what I got in this thing.
The barrel showed zero flaws in the bore when I scoped it. You would have to buy a Shilen select or Pac-Nor super match to see a bore that looks this good. All that said, I am not shooting hot loads and I am already seeing what looks like throat erosion. It is slight and the rifle still shoots perfect, but I probably only have 250 rounds through this barrel. The 223 is not generally known to be a barrel burner...that's one of the biggest reasons the Army selected it. I always have heard stories of certain brands of barrels being "soft"...back in the 80's many people said that about Shilen. It seems like 416 stainless is 416 stainless. But there is the issue of heat treatment and also knowing for certain that what they ordered from the mill is really that alloy. I have been told that Bartlein is the only barrel maker that pays for and gets the steel certificate from the mill.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: X Caliber barrels - 02/13/17
Originally Posted by bbassi

Only through Feb 14. I did a mock order and the shipping on two sporter barrels was $60!(I guess is is $30 flat shipping per barrel). Ouch, I'll pass on that.
© 24hourcampfire