Home
Posted By: Ebby Which 6mm? - 02/27/17
I'm doing some trading and have pretty much any short action chambering at my disposal. Gun currently has .243 chamber but can easily become any of the SA 6mm's and could also be rebarreled to most anything short action.

I'm not hurting for anything and have both SA and LA in standard and Mag in most all the calibers from .22-.375.

I don't have a short action .257 or .277 but neither of those excite me much in SA.

I have a standard .243 that doesn't get used much. I am leaning towards keeping it 6mm and going with .243 Ack or 6mm Ack or standard or 6mm creedmoor. 6x47 is also a thought.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5-284 and 26 nosler so I'm good with 6.5's

I have 7/08 and .308 and .223 covered

I have a .300 WSM but not 7mm wsm or anything smaller

Not much in SA above .308.

Any thoughts?

Lee

Posted By: Owl Re: Which 6mm? - 02/27/17
I have an old Savage Model 10 chambered in the 6x47 (lapua). It has a CHEAP $29 ER Shaw over-run barrel on it. Shoots okay. Have only tried a few different loads and 2 powders. So far best is right at an inch, maybe a tad bit smaller.

I'm in the middle of a build for another 6x47L

Defiant action
Shilen #4 barrel
McMillian Hunter stock BDL
Seekins Bottom Metal/detachable magazine

I'm hoping that it's a shooter.

As for .243's. I have 2 - they're okay. If I ever decide to do anything with them... maybe cut the chamber to an .243AI ?
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Which 6mm? - 02/27/17
Built one of my Grandson a 6X47 Lapua. It is very accurate.
Posted By: 805 Re: Which 6mm? - 02/27/17
Main purpose of rifle? Bullet of choice? A 6 creedmore is a great choice!
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Which 6mm? - 02/27/17
CATBIRD 6mm-270Winchester,I'm somewhat of a speed freak.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Which 6mm? - 02/27/17

mild mannered.....efficient..

6XC.......

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6xc/
Posted By: Ebby Re: Which 6mm? - 02/27/17
No real purpose of the rifle. I'm sure I'll shoot deer and coyotes with it. Not a real heavy gun. The kids will use it as well for deer and the like.

It is not something that I had purpose built. I had a gun for sale and it was offered as trade bait. It's a nice gun that was a new build and unfired. Gunsmith is willing to rechamber for free in something 6mm or I can buy a barrel and get anything I want in Short Action.

Just tossing ideas around.

Lee
Posted By: 805 Re: Which 6mm? - 02/27/17
6 creedmore or 243win setup for 105s is how I'd set it up assuming it's an 8 twist.
Posted By: Ebby Re: Which 6mm? - 02/27/17
Currently its a .243 set up for 105's with an 8 twist

Go 6mm Creed, Ackley or leave it as is?
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Which 6mm? - 02/28/17
I don't think you'd accomplish anything by setting back and rechambering. It's fun to think about though.
Posted By: 805 Re: Which 6mm? - 02/28/17
I say keep it and see how it shoots. 105vld and 7828 shoots lights out in my 243!
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Which 6mm? - 02/28/17
This is easy. Just ream it out to 6mm 284. I have two of them. It is my do it everything gun.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Which 6mm? - 02/28/17
Leave it as is, and shoot it out.
Posted By: GJN Re: Which 6mm? - 02/28/17
I have two 6mm Ackley's and it is a great round. However I would strongly recommend a long action for this cartridge to take advantage of its full potential. If I was building a 6mm on a short action I would go with either the 6mm Creedmore or the 6.5x47 necked down to 6mm. I have a 6x6.5x47 Lapua and it is extremely accurate.
Posted By: Ridgegoat Re: Which 6mm? - 03/01/17
+1 for 6mm creedmoor. Hornady is making factory ammo with their 108 eld m in it now.
Posted By: SKane Re: Which 6mm? - 03/01/17
Originally Posted by Ebby
leave it as is?

Yes.

I'm beginning to think I'm far too pragmatic to hang out here. whistle
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: Which 6mm? - 03/01/17
I've got 6BR, 243, 6/284. I like them all.
Posted By: woodson Re: Which 6mm? - 03/01/17
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

This. Buy a schit pile of 105 bthp and rl17. Whore it out shooting it as though it was a 223.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Which 6mm? - 03/02/17
Originally Posted by woodson

This. Buy a schit pile of 105 bthp and rl17. Whore it out shooting it as though it was a 223.

Yep.
Posted By: longbarrel Re: Which 6mm? - 03/04/17
6 mm/244 Rem. Faster than the .243 and easier on the throat.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Which 6mm? - 03/05/17
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Ebby
leave it as is?

Yes.

I'm beginning to think I'm far too pragmatic to hang out here. whistle

Say it ain't so laugh

Back on topic - 6mm Creed gets my vote.
Posted By: aalf Re: Which 6mm? - 03/05/17

6x47 Lapua......
Posted By: tucsonan Re: Which 6mm? - 03/05/17
Has anyone lived with the new Norma dasher brass? I love the BR with 95's, and another 100+ fps wouldn't hurt my feelings any, but the only things I've read anout the Norma talk about the rim thickness being excessive. Would love to find that their new brass is load-and-shoot, and didn't have their typical soft primer pockets.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Which 6mm? - 03/07/17
The .243 with R26 and 105s is getting some pretty impressive speeds well into what used to be AI and .244 territory.

Shoot it out as is and then decide when it is ready for a new barrel.

Don't know about the Norma Dasher brass but I think it would be worth it to form with Lapua as it will last as long as anything available. The only other I have used that was comparable is RWS but it is hard to find and expensive when you do.

I get up to 30% more loads with Lapua so it helps justify the cost.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Which 6mm? - 03/07/17
243AI
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Which 6mm? - 03/20/17
I have 6mmBR, 243Win, and 6mmRem reamers and have built rifles for myself.

I have a 243AI that someone else built.

The latest was in in Sept 2016 I built a lightweight rifle in 6mmBR.

The nice thing about 6mmBR is the tiny groups either Rem or Lapua brass.

[Linked Image]
October 2016

6mmBR 95 gr Nos Bal Tip moly 29 gr IMR-4166 2800 fps chrono 27" Pac Nor super match 8" twist barrel
Posted By: scallop Re: Which 6mm? - 03/20/17
I have always been interested in a 6BR hunting rig. However, I was uncertain if there were any feeding problems when using a 6BR in a BDL style magazine setup.

Any body have any experience with the 6BR feeding from a BDL style setup?

Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Which 6mm? - 03/20/17

Another vote for this ^^^^. After it is shot out, then rebarrel it for "what ever" floats your boat at that time...
Posted By: RinB Re: Which 6mm? - 03/20/17
Well
I am not very clear about what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want something that is used for shooting targets, shooting varmints, or hunting big game?

For big game velocity kills, bore diameter kills, and bullet weight kills. If you are using a 6mm on big game, I would look for the most velocity. For accuracy, one of the smaller 6 mm will fill your needs.

Based on your statements, you really don't need anything new.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Which 6mm? - 03/20/17
I'd shoot it out.
Wont take long as its a 243.
Then.
6mm Dasher.
dave
Posted By: keith Re: Which 6mm? - 03/22/17
243 with R#26 and 105 class bullets is impressive, to say the least!

If You play with the idea of a set back to a different caliber, then you should measure the shank to see how much Straight you have to work with.

I would shoot it out as is, start saving money for barrels and stocks of a contour of your design.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Which 6mm? - 03/22/17
Yes. I have a Remington 700 short action with a #4 weight 24" 6 BR barrel on it. It will not feed from the magazine. It is wonderfully accurate and fun to shoot, but it's not a repeater.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Which 6mm? - 03/22/17
The 6mm Remington is a better design than the 243! Sharper shoulder and longer neck means less throat damage. Also it can be loaded faster than the 243 or the same speed with less pressure.
But since you already have it as a 243, is it worth the trouble to rechamber? Only you can make that decision.

As far as AI versions, I don't think they are worth messing with, other than improving that dreadful sloping shoulder of the 243.

I suspect that if you are limiting your hunting to Tennessee, you probably don't need a more powerful cartridge than the 243 though.

BTW:I currently own 2 6mm's and one 243. I've been shooting 6mm's since the early 60's -- getting over 55 years now.

Posted By: coleridge Re: Which 6mm? - 03/23/17
6BR can be made to feed. Just takes a little tinkering.

Look up Mike Bryant conversion, for the BDL know-how.
© 24hourcampfire