Home
Posted By: Zengela Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/28/17
I'm just wondering... My ma is in the hospital with heart troubles so I'm trying to deflect. So my thoughts drift to a Remington 7 in 250 Savage. Yeah or neh? Would make a cool rig? Get a 243 and rechambered/rebore or have to go with a 223? Is the chamber of the 243 too thick? Better to go with a 22-250? Well, I don't know, I do not own a 7. But I've always been drawn to that little action.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/28/17
I believe Remington offered the Model Seven in 250 Savage from the custom shop at one time.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/28/17
Food for thought for you ( to enable your rifle looneyism...)

This is a Model 7 CDL that was a .22-250...I was able to locate a 22inch barrel off a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in .243, put the two together and added an English red pad.No reason you couldn't do the same with a .250 barrel...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/28/17
I'd be adding a new barrel to it and not thinking about reboring etc. Get a 7 in any of the standard cartridges and have a new barrel screwed on.
Posted By: Jamesd1187 Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/28/17
No reason not to get one done if that is what you want. Just remember not to shoot the donor, the model 7's I've shot have been pleasant carrying and all shot well if the barrel was allowed to cool.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/28/17
I've never encountered a Model 7 that wasn't butt heavy as issued. I've replaced every barrel with a slightly larger contour.

All things being equal, the 700 is a better mousetrap than the M7
Posted By: DoeSlayer Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/28/17
In the late 90's, a gun shop in Jacksonville FL had a sale on .308 syn/ss Model 7's. I sent the rifle to Ray Montgomery and he rebarreled it to .250 Savage AI. I put a 4X Leupold on it and killed a bunch of deer with Speer 100 gr bullets. Why I got rid of it...????
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/28/17
The only rifle that Remington ever cataloged as a regular production 250 Savage was the 700 Classic in 1984. Since those take-off barrels aren't all that common, you're probably going to have to go with an after-market barrel. Good luck with your build!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/29/17
You can't easily convert a 223 to 250 Savage.

Cheapest route would be to find a beater 243, have the barrel set back 1/2 inch and rebored to 25 caliber and chambered for 250 Savage.

It would be an awesome gun, however you got there. If you go with a rebarrel, get it at 20" with dupe of the factory KS contour.
Posted By: mathman Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/29/17
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Cheapest route would be to find a beater 243, have the barrel set back 1/2 inch and rebored to 25 caliber and chambered for 250 Savage.

It would be an awesome gun, however you got there. If you go with a rebarrel, get it at 20" with dupe of the factory KS contour.

Are you sure just getting a new barrel fitted and chambered wouldn't beat that by a bit, and be better off with a better barrel too?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/29/17
Yeah, a new barrel fitted would be cheaper, easier and mo better.
Posted By: Zengela Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/29/17
Its all good. Problem is my rifle loony brain spins faster than my wallet! Been wanting a 250 Sav, 257 Bob, 300 Sav, 358. Need a 2nd and 3rd job, or find a sugar momma to fund me.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/29/17
I'm a 25 caliber junkie. I'm 25Cal on another board. I've owned rifles in 250 Savage (several); 250 Savage AI; 257 Roberts (several); 257 Roberts AI; and 25-06. I currently own two 25 caliber bolt action rifles, both Savage Axis actions with E.R. Shaw barrels screwed on. The first wears a 250 Savage barrel, bought from MidwayUSA for something around $135. I had a gunsmith buddy with a barrel vise screw it on using a go-gauge I bought from Midway as well. It shoots like crazy - very accurate and excellent velocities. I liked it so much that I had bought another Axis donor rifle and ordered a 257 Roberts barrel from Shaw directly. I had that barrel screwed on, and it shoots very nicely as well. Savage actions are easy to rebarrel - no gunsmithing required.

Regarding the idea of a Model Seven barreled to 250 Savage (or 250 AI), a friend had a stainless Model Seven in 308 rebarreled to 250 Savage using a Hart barrel. The barrel is 20" long and factory contour. He asked me to develop some loads for it, and I did. It shoots great, but velocities are lower than my 250 Axis with 24" barrel. No matter, it is a really nice little rifle, and prettier than my el cheapo Axis rifles.

Regarding the 250 AI, mine was on a standard Remington 700 BDL short action receiver in a #2 contour, 23" long. I don't have a lot of data on the rifle as I sold it. Don't ask why. I killed one woodchuck with it, no deer. The AI version adds another 100-150 fps to the standard version. The 250 Savage case is perfect for the Remington short action. However, I think the ideal short action 25 caliber round is the 25 Souper, the 243 necked up to 257. It is every bit the equal of the 257 Roberts in a shorter, more accurate package.

I also have a Savage 99 F in 250-3000 with 1 in 14" twist rifling. It shoots pretty good, but nothing like the Axis, and it won't shoot 100 grain bullets with anywhere near the accuracy it shoots 87s and 90s.

The 250 Savage Axis rifle is a sweetheart. It will send a 100 grain bullet out at 3,000 fps using only 39.5 grains of H4350, and accuracy is excellent. It will put 10 75 grain VMAX bullets into an inch at 100 yards. I haven't worked much with heavier bullets as I don't really need to. That's why I have the 257 Roberts.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/30/17
I can't find myself liking the ugly to my eyes Savage Axis, but have recycled a few small-shank Savage and Savage-specs barrels on Savage 110 series actions and, more recently, on Marlin X gun actions.

I agree with you on the 25 Souper being a premier option in short action rifles. Currently I only have one 25 Souper, a Ruger 77 RSI that has been rechambered from 250-3000. It previously been rechambed to 250AI, but I could never get it to feed very well and since I had access to a new 77 RSI 250-3000 barrel, I decided to try the 25 Souper. It feeds and shoots great in the little Ruger.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/30/17
Originally Posted by mathman

Are you sure just getting a new barrel fitted and chambered wouldn't beat that by a bit, and be better off with a better barrel too?

Reboring is cheaper by a few hundred dollars when I've checked around and actually get quotes for total cost of the project. Whether it is a better option, is up for debate.

Since the Seven is a common Remington threading, one could get a "remage" barrel nut barrel, and do most of the work their self to save money. But 250 Savage is probably going to be a special order anyway.

In the end, I'd get PacNor to install a 20" KS-contour barrel twisted 8 if they make one.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/30/17
http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-price-list.php
Every Shaw barreled rifle I've had has been a great shooter.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/30/17
Pretty good prices listed there at Shaw.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 07/31/17
Had one.....sold it. Now have a custom 700 and love it!! Hint.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 08/01/17

Problem with that approach is... There is a lot of speculation done by folks who've never done it. I have had numerous barrels rebored by the "Wizard off Turtle Road" and he tells me he cannot rebore up just one caliber... It must be two, minimum. In other words, if one starts with a .243 Win. then it must be bored to .264, at least. My next job for him is to rebore a Remmy LVSF barrel in .22/250 to 6.5 Creedmoor. Should be awesome when I get done. smile
Posted By: LCHunter1 Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 08/01/17
I have a Model 7 made with a 22" Pac-Nor barrel and a 15oz stock from MPI in Portland, Oregon. Caliber is 250 AI and I love it. Had the trigger spruced up and set a 2.5lbs. More accurate than I am. Seems to do everything the way it should and I couldn't be much happier. It's just a dream to shoot. Go for it.
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 08/01/17
Originally Posted by LCHunter1
I have a Model 7 made with a 22" Pac-Nor barrel and a 15oz stock from MPI in Portland, Oregon. Caliber is 250 AI and I love it. Had the trigger spruced up and set a 2.5lbs. More accurate than I am. Seems to do everything the way it should and I couldn't be much happier. It's just a dream to shoot. Go for it.

i have a Model 7 in .250savage , also Pac-Nor w/ 20" tube, mountain rifle contour....and it too sits in an MPI stock.......and, also have a remmy custom shop model Model 7KS in .250Savage, which IIRC had belonged to 257Heaven.....

Not sure why i have both, i guess if one is good, then too many is just right.

They are a pleasure to carry & shoot, and the kill stuff nicely.
Posted By: wil Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 08/11/17
I have a Model Seven stainless which Mark Penrod re-barreled with a heavier contour, 20" Krieger and put in a H&S Precision stock. Wonderfully accurate, well-balanced. I want to do another in 358 Winchester at some point. I like 'different' cartridges. And I have several Model 7s, if you include the 673 as well.
I too would re-barrel. A Mod 7 x 250 Savage would be about the perfect treestand rifle.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Rem 7 in 250 Savage? - 08/16/17
Buy a M7 in 260. Shoot good 100gr bullets. Done
Tell everyone is is a 250 expanded, lengthened and improved.
Put blue tape on the barrel, that will give it cool factor.

I know, you want a 250, not just the, or improved, ballistics.
© 24hourcampfire