Home
Posted By: darrenk75b Stock Painting - Again - 09/07/17
All,
A while ago many of you sent stocks my way for painting. Life circumstances forced me to step away from that endeavor. Well, some new changes mean I have some more time available, and will start accepting work again. I would have bumped my old thread, but unfortunately all my pictures are on photobucket and I haven't transitioned them all over yet. If you are interested, shoot me a PM and we can discuss the specifics. I will remain reasonably priced as was the case previously.

A few examples of previous work:
[[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/07/17
Darren,
I hope its Ok if I add some more pictures of your work, this is one of my favorites!! Good to see you painting again smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/07/17
Thanks Frank. Certainly don't mind the added pics.
Posted By: shootAI Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/07/17
This is great. I will have to get a few together for you Darren
Posted By: Higginez Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/07/17
Yeah man!
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/07/17
Another favorite, olive green base with black & tan speckle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Alright, I missed out last time!
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
Darren,
Looks like great work. What paint (s) are you using, what is an average cost, and what is the best way to schedule? PM, email, etc.? Thanks!!!!
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Darren,
Looks like great work. What paint (s) are you using, what is an average cost, and what is the best way to schedule? PM, email, etc.? Thanks!!!!

PMs work fine to contact me, as does my email attached to my account here.

I use Duracoat, which is the same as Polane T, the paint used by most of the major stock manufacturers (McMillan, Manners, etc). Much more durable than standard spray paint.

A basic single color, or single color with speckles will run you $65. Prices will increase from there depending on the complexity of the pattern. For example, a Flectarn camo like Oregonmuley's above will run on the order of $125. These prices also consider that the stock is essentially ready to spray when it arrives. Additional prep work, like sanding a stock, removing old paint, etc will run a bit more but is on a case-by-case basis. The above does not include shipping either, which is generally on the order of $15 per stock.
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
What is the difference in painting and having a stock hydro-dipped? I hope that's not a dumass question.
Posted By: Danny1788 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
Hanco look up hydro dipping and you will quickly see they are completely different processes
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds very reasonable. I have been wanting to try out a couple of wildcat patterns, and this might just be enough to motivate me to do so!
Posted By: unahunt Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
can't say enough good about Darrens work, my stock was same as Oregonmuleys.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
I'll be sending you some work! Will be in contact next week...
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
Will the paint job add any texture or "grippyness" to the stock? I have a Model Seven synthetic stock that is slicker than deer guts on a door knob.

Thanks,
John P.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Will the paint job add any texture or "grippyness" to the stock? I have a Model Seven synthetic stock that is slicker than deer guts on a door knob.

Thanks,
John P.

Not Darren but I know that he can add texture. The one I posted that is the Flectarn camo I asked if he could make it a little rougher since I hunt in the rain alot. Anyway, he did something now its perfect, Darren said its sort of like what you get on a Kimber, I know its much better than before it was painted.
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/08/17
Yes, texture can be added to the process, and can range from slightly grippy to "don't put my face on that or I'll have no skin left" abrasiveness. Some people like a little, some like a lot. I can work with your preferences.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/09/17
PM sent.
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/12/17
GREAT guy and GREAT work.

IF he would start doing Cerakote on metalwork, he could quit his day job for good. *hint*
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/12/17
This is certainly worth keeping in mind. Or Tagging!
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/12/17
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
GREAT guy and GREAT work.

IF he would start doing Cerakote on metalwork, he could quit his day job for good. *hint*

Not likely going to happen any time soon. I do get the joy of doing cerakote, on my own stuff at least. Grin
Posted By: sloone Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/12/17
Darren would you paint a stock using zolatone or chromaglast type paint.i like some of the different colors they have.
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/12/17
Originally Posted by sloone
Darren would you paint a stock using zolatone or chromaglast type paint.i like some of the different colors they have.

I'm not set up for those paints. However, I can mimic just about whatever combination they have. From my experience, the paint I use is generally more durable that zolatone anyway.
Posted By: nick54 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/20/17
Bumping this thread back up. Sent a Nula stock to Darren for a makeover. He received it Saturday, had it back in my hands Tuesday afternoon. Everything looks perfect on it. Great guy to do business with !
Posted By: rdobrow Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/20/17
Darren has done lots of stocks for me, rest assured he is top quality, and so is the paint he uses. Glad he's back at it!!!!!
Posted By: CJC73 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/21/17
how much would it be for a T/C encore stock and forearm, currently a plain black synthetic? in a realtree camo scheme or similar?
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/21/17
Originally Posted by CJC73
how much would it be for a T/C encore stock and forearm, currently a plain black synthetic? in a realtree camo scheme or similar?

PM Inbound
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/21/17
A few more pictures
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Keahi Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/24/17
Darren did a job for me and I can say that his work is top notch. Duracoat is some awesome paint. He’s got talent and he has a fast turn around time.
A true professional in his work.
Awesome. I had you do a few for me before and love them. I actually just sent you a PM to see if you'd paint one for me. Can't wait!

He does great work by the way
What is your turnaround time. Do you do any sanding or paint removal.
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/28/17
Currently, turnaround time is pretty short for a standard repaint. By short, we would be looking at within the week.

The type of prep work is dependent upon the quality of the stock I'm working with. The prices I've quoted so far are for stocks which are essentially ready to paint. I can do further prep, including sanding and previous paint removal. The amount charged for those services will depend upon the amount of time necessary to prepare the stock for paint. However, like I've stated previously, I try to keep my prices reasonable. I've done everything from repainting over the top of a brand new, perfect stock to having to do significant fiberglass repair or removal of multiple layers of previous paint prior to a fresh coat, and everything in between. Just let me know what you got, and I'm sure we can work it out.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/28/17
Darren, I am a tall guy and like a 14.5 -15.5 inch LOP on my rifles depending on the configuration. Is it possible for you to take a new Barrett Fieldcraft or Kimber Montana stock and add say 1" worth of lighter weight spacers and blend/contour/fill and paint over the spacers to make it look like a solid stock after painting and then fit a new recoil pad?
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/28/17
Originally Posted by haverluk
Darren, I am a tall guy and like a 14.5 -15.5 inch LOP on my rifles depending on the configuration. Is it possible for you to take a new Barrett Fieldcraft or Kimber Montana stock and add say 1" worth of lighter weight spacers and blend/contour/fill and paint over the spacers to make it look like a solid stock after painting and then fit a new recoil pad?

PM Inbound.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Stock Painting - Again - 09/28/17
Just noticed this thread. Darren does fabulous work and I'm glad to see him back at it.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Stock Painting - Again - 10/02/17
Darren, those are looking great.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Stock Painting - Again - 10/02/17
NICE work!
Tag.
Keep this in mind I remember you did this glad to see your back at it
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Stock Painting - Again - 10/07/17
Darren,

Have you ever done and animal prints? Tiger, leopard, anything like that?

Completely serious question...
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 10/07/17
No, I haven't
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Darren,

Have you ever done and animal prints? Tiger, leopard, anything like that?

Completely serious question...

Rifle stock to match your underwear?
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: Stock Painting - Again - 10/08/17
How about the mudflap chick silhouette?
I'll be sending you a few stocks after hunting season. Both McMillians. Do you offer LOP services with recoil pads?
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 10/13/17
I can do that.
Hello could you please email me your contact information I have some projects for you thanks Mike
Posted By: mikestaten Re: Stock Painting - Again - 10/31/17
Just got my stock back from Darren. Looks amazing. In this day and age it's rare for someone to exceed expectations and his work absolutely did. Made my Winchester Extreme Weather look like a high end custom.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Stock Painting - Again - 10/31/17
tag.
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 10/31/17
I’m mailing one tomorrow.
Just got two back...AMAZING work and fast turnaround! Honestly its nicer than the McM factory paint. Thanks a million!!! You've got a customer in me!
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 11/20/17
I should have mine back soon, can’t wait
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 11/20/17
Originally Posted by hanco
I should have mine back soon, can’t waut

Yes, yes you should wink
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 12/05/17
My stock came today. I don’t think it could look any better!!!

Thanks Darren
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Stock Painting - Again - 12/05/17
That turned out nice.....
Posted By: skilakjim Re: Stock Painting - Again - 12/05/17
Tag.
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 12/06/17
Exceeded my expectations
Posted By: CJC73 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 12/06/17
WOW! very nice! I need to get a stock to Darren. Really like that look
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 12/06/17
Me too, it looks even better in person. When my granddaughter sees it, I’ll be sending hers.
Posted By: Bullman57 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 01/11/18
Tag
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 01/12/18
I had it at the lease last weekend, I had to clean all the saliva off of it!!
Posted By: Higginez Re: Stock Painting - Again - 01/13/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 01/13/18
Damn 😎 cool too
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Stock Painting - Again - 01/14/18
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
A few more pictures
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Was the middle Stock 700ks for Dick? It looks very familiar!
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: Stock Painting - Again - 02/27/18
Bumping this for anyone that had a stock painted by DarrenK.

I have one, and lent the rifle out to a buddy on a hunt. Stock paint came back with a couple nice "character marks", so I'm going to strip the paint and DYI a re-do.

Any tips on stripping the paint off a DarrenK painted stock? This one has a little grip to the paint.
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 02/27/18
I bet if you pm, he will tell you what to use, he might touch it up cheap for you.
Posted By: rdobrow Re: Stock Painting - Again - 02/27/18
yes Nick thats was mine, now yours, great job by Darren.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Stock Painting - Again - 02/28/18
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Bumping this for anyone that had a stock painted by DarrenK.

I have one, and lent the rifle out to a buddy on a hunt. Stock paint came back with a couple nice "character marks", so I'm going to strip the paint and DYI a re-do.

Any tips on stripping the paint off a DarrenK painted stock? This one has a little grip to the paint.

There's no touching it up eh?
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: Stock Painting - Again - 02/28/18
It probably could be, but I also wouldn't mind something new. If its easy to strip off and start fresh, thats something fun for the off season.
Posted By: C_ROY Re: Stock Painting - Again - 02/28/18
Has anyone heard from Darren lately? He has not posted here in a while. He painted 2 stocks for me the first of January and they were awesome as always. I mailed a check to him on January 16. The check has not cleared still. I texted him on February 8 to let him know the checked hadn't cleared and was just following up and no reply. I hope all is well. Nice guy.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Stock Painting - Again - 02/28/18
He's good. Probably way busy with his family and work.
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 02/28/18
Sorry guys, and thanks for the concern. I've been away a bunch lately.

OutdoorAg - sent you a PM. As with any of the stocks I've painted, if something happens to the paint, just shoot it back to me and I'll repaint it for you. Just cover the shipping. You are not beholden to the original scheme either.
Posted By: RGK Re: Stock Painting - Again - 03/01/18

OutdoorAg - sent you a PM. As with any of the stocks I've painted, if something happens to the paint, just shoot it back to me and I'll repaint it for you. Just cover the shipping. You are not beholden to the original scheme either.

I like that. Class act.
Bob
Posted By: Higginez Re: Stock Painting - Again - 03/01/18

Muddy Girl even?
Posted By: darrenk75b Re: Stock Painting - Again - 03/01/18
^^ Anything for you
Posted By: Higginez Re: Stock Painting - Again - 03/01/18
^^ Anything for you

You're a good friend.
Posted By: Spartacus Re: Stock Painting - Again - 03/24/18
You guys in Northern California are good people. Well, most of ya..
Posted By: magnum44270 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 04/07/18
nice work
PM sent darren
Any update from Darren? I sent a pm last month and haven’t heard anything...hope everything is ok
Posted By: Tretopr Re: Stock Painting - Again - 06/05/18
Sent him a stock to be painted 2 months ago. Havent heard a word back. Have called multiple times with no answer or msg returned. This guy is a fuggin flake. Just waiting for all the dog ate my homework excuses. To his credit he hasn’t cashed the chk I sent but I still have a stockless gun.
Posted By: tomk Re: Stock Painting - Again - 06/05/18
I just heard from him and he stated that he is back on it.

Appears his mom moved in their home and it was a bit more distraction than anticipated...:)
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Painting - Again - 06/09/18
I got a quick turnaround on mine.
I sent him a Tikka stock a while back and he was on it pretty quick. Textured, painted beautifully with a camo design and shipped back. It wasn't a two day turnaround but I never expected it to be and he communicated pretty well as far as how the progress was going. I will be sending him more work.......
Posted By: tomk Re: Stock Painting - Again - 06/18/18

Basic black with texture--just what the doctor ordered...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RinB Re: Stock Painting - Again - 06/28/18
Nice
Posted By: Brad Re: Stock Painting - Again - 06/28/18
Originally Posted by tomk

Basic black with texture--just what the doctor ordered...

Henry Ford approved!

Nice...
Posted By: tomk Re: Stock Painting - Again - 06/29/18
Grinning--yeah, he does nice work..I like the texturing.

I believe that is pretty close to Dober's barrel prescription on a 280, BTW...:)
Posted By: Brad Re: Stock Painting - Again - 06/29/18
Grinning--yeah, he does nice work..I like the texturing.

I believe that is pretty close to Dober's barrel prescription on a 280, BTW...:)

Looks right Tom... what are the specifics on you barrel?
24" no shank, 6.15 @ muzzle.

with weaver bases sans scope, it goes 6 # 3oz

Browning (FN) small ring 98 & Bansner

hangs nice even when panting like a dog...might have an inch too much barrel...;)
24" no shank, 6.15 @ muzzle.

with weaver bases sans scope, it goes 6 # 3oz

Browning (FN) small ring 98 & Bansner

hangs nice even when panting like a dog...might have an inch too much barrel...;)

I’d go 23” and rock on smile

What make barrel? I really like that rifle... perfect barrel weight.

.280?
Douglas air gaged, chambered 280 for 150/160g

Maybe you would like the g33 6.5x257 above it in pic better, as it has nearly the exact dimensions but at a 22 1/2" barrel. MG stock. Do prefer the look and feel of the Bansner, personally, fwiw.

Also prefer Darren's version of matte black and his texturing, too. Just as grippy, but less conspicuous.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the info Tom... the Banser, with a no. 2 or larger barrel, is my favorite stock.

My last 270 was 22.5"... that's a great way to go. Your G33 is nice!
Posted By: tomk Re: Stock Painting - Again - 06/30/18
Agree with you Brad, mine too. The fore end is a bit substantial for the lighter stuff. Have a Sheephunter an old boy converted for a 7x57 98--nice rig.

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 07/08/18
Tag
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Stock Painting - Again - 07/09/18
I don't mean to be rude but I hate to see nicely figured wood covered by paint. I'm old fashioned I guess but to me, nothing is better than some nice walnut and blued steel.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Stock Painting - Again - 07/10/18
Tag...
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Stock Painting - Again - 07/14/18
Tag.
Painting done right.
Have a stock on its way to Darren to paint.
My .458 Model 70 is Electroless Nickel plated so I need a color scheme that worked with that and did away with the boring green/grey finish I had.
There is a time to remove the walnut and get serious.
John
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 07/25/18
Originally Posted by Higbean
[Linked Image]

That looks great.
Posted By: rj308 Re: Stock Painting - Again - 07/25/18
Darren, Have you ever stripped the Dura-Touch coating off of a Browning X-B0lt stock and painted it? If so, does the paint stick well? Thanks, RJ
Just did another for me...that makes 3. Paint job is PERFECT...as per the norm!
© 24hourcampfire