Home
Posted By: TC1 What's better than CeraKote? - 12/04/17
What else is out there? I'm looking for something that's thin, abrasion resistant and looks super nice. Right now I'm leaning towards a rust blue but if there is something that's tough but looks good I would like to hear about it.

Thanks!
Posted By: 30338 Re: What's better than CeraKote? - 12/04/17
Birdsong Black T is nice as is Black Ice out of Utah. Better than cerrakote? Not sure it is better, but it is super thin and is wearing well on several rifles for us. That includes both finishes listed.
Robar NP3
Black nitride. Also known as Tenifer, Melonite and probably a couple other proprietary names. It's actually a surface hardening treatment and adds no dimensional change like a coating so even the bore is treated. Extremely corrosion and wear resistant. I had H&M do a muzzleloader barrel for me. Looks like a good bluing and zero rust issues.

An explanation from their website:

"H&M Blacknitride+™, or Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, is the thermochemical that simultaneously diffuses nitrogen and carbon into the surface of ferrous metals. During the process, a two-part surface layer is formed, an outer iron nitride layer with a nitrogen diffusion layer below it. Nitrogen and carbon are absorbed by and diffused into the surface of the metal. Reproducible and uniform layers with a predetermined thickness will be formed on all areas of the metal. This process results in markedly improved surface properties on ferrous metal parts while maintaining dimensional and shape stability."
Terry,
I've had great luck with both Melonite and Birdsong black T.
Birdsong Black-T is easily the best in my experience.

Do a little google-fu and I think you’ll like what you find.

Dave
Hard chrome in a matte finish. I just sent a rifle off to Mahovsky's Metalife. Great prices and I've heard good things, so I'm trying them out. I had a vintage Brown Precision custom rifle that was hard chromed, and it was a great finish. I understand Brown Precision used/uses Metaloy.
What are you looking to put a finish on? I might as well go ahead and scout it out now lol.
Posted By: TC1 Re: What's better than CeraKote? - 12/05/17
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
What are you looking to put a finish on? I might as well go ahead and scout it out now lol.

Ha! This one will be a little out of the norm for me. It's a BRNO 21H action with a reworked bolt handle, ZG-47 safety and trigger. A 21" barrel chambered in 7X57 with integral quarter rib, front sight and sling swivel. To save cost I'm probably going with a plastic stock on this one and call it my 'rainy day rifle." The Birdsong Black T looks pretty interesting, I've been looking at some PVD finishes as well.

Here is the barrel blank I'll be using.
[Linked Image]
Sounds like it is going to be an interesting rifle when you have it done. Be sure and keep updates going on here.
When you decide what finish you want make sure you have a reputable person do the prep and application for you. That is just as important as the finish you choose.Keep us posted.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Robar NP3

Actually, Robar's NP3 PLUS is the very best finish there is. NP3 PLUS is many times more durable than anything else that's available.
Tag
Caustic blueing.. like D´arcy Echols does.
Posted By: keith Re: What's better than CeraKote? - 12/06/17
I have used Robars Black Chrome-Matt since the 80's, stuff still looks new.

Also, their Satin hard chrome is beautiful soft stainless look.
Another vote for Melonite. It holds up way better than CK for me.
Terry,
Be careful on the PVD. It is a great finish, but the recommended place called me and said they wouldn't do the serial numbered part after I shipped to them. They also wanted a check before sending it back for return postage. I kinda lost my temper in a big way. I had 3 discussions with them before shipping it to them. This was the place that Satterlie recommended and our bud, new guy, used on his Mauser Ti rifle. Work was fantastic, but just be sure and check them closely first. Melonite will treat your bore also and greatly increase your barrel life.
Some treatments can foul the rifle bore. Fortunately you have been around the block a time or two.
Posted By: TC1 Re: What's better than CeraKote? - 12/06/17
Thanks Butch!
Thinking of Melonite for the barrel and maybe Np3 or Black T for the bolt on the next one. Is this worthwhile or just complicating things?
Birdsong "T" finish, color depending on personal choice, as he does several.
Posted By: efw Re: What's better than CeraKote? - 12/11/17
Mahovsky’s Metalife...

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com
I have Cerakote on a few rifles and Birdsong's Black T on a handgun. I believe Black T is the better finish.

405wcf
Is Birdsong & Associates as they are now known, still doing the "T" finish for firearms? Their website still displays a price list from 2015, I tried contacting them via Facebook, several days ago, but no reply as of this morning.
Posted By: 30338 Re: What's better than CeraKote? - 12/18/17
I'd just call them. Lot of folks don't monitor facebook.

https://black-t.com/contact/
Originally Posted by smokinggun
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Robar NP3

Actually, Robar's NP3 PLUS is the very best finish there is. NP3 PLUS is many times more durable than anything else that's available.

It's certainly not as durable as Melonite or whatever you want to call it. I have worked on too many Glocks over the years as well as dozens of NP3 treated duty weapons. Melonite is harder than anything but carbide and diamond, no dimensional change and doesn't rub off- ever. Comes in any color you want as long as you want black...
Melonite better than DLC?
DLC?
Diamond like carbon coating
Only because it is in the bore as well.

There are some other really good products out there that I haven't used like NiB-X and PVD coatings. Black nitride finish is the only one I know that is used INSIDE the bore.
Tag
I am building a rifle right now on a defiance action. Just chambered it a couple of days ago. I am going to have it black nitrided. I would like to have the bolt NP3 plated but don't want to wait for Robar to do it. I have one Defiance rifle so treated all ready and it has no rust or visible wear after many, many days afield in heavy brush and rock. I sure like it.
© 24hourcampfire