Home
Thinking about trying to do a lightweight, mountain rifle build using a Shilen #1 barrel. Seems a lot of people use the #2 barrel, but I am looking for something similar to a Remington Mountain Rifle contour. Can't seem to find any pictures of rifles using a #1 contour. Would be interested in seeing any pictures or builds using a Shilen #1 or other #1 /FW barrels.

Also forgot to ask...any practical hunting difference between the match and select match barrels? Looks to be about 70.00 difference in price between the two.

Thanks,
Ansley
Redneck used a shilen winny Fwt contour on my pre 64 M70/280 AI build, it's been a great rifle for me.
I can't remember if it was a "select match" barrel or not.
I've used many, many and have sold a few thousand Shilen barrels over the years. I personally would not spend the extra on a select match for a hunting rifle. You will never know it. Remember the max length that a #1 will finish at 20".
Thanks for the info. I was thinking by the specs that the barrel would finish at 22". I did not realize it would be 22" to start with...I may have to think more about this or look at some other manufacturers as I was looking for a 22" finished barrel.

I don't know how I missed cutting off 1" off each end of the barrel. It is written in red on the contour page...
Originally Posted by SWGAShooter
Thanks for the info. I was thinking by the specs that the barrel would finish at 22". I did not realize it would be 22" to start with...I may have to think more about this or look at some other manufacturers as I was looking for a 22" finished barrel.

I called Stan Taylor at Douglas when I did my Pierce Ti rifle. He fixed me up and it shoots well.
Thanks again, Ti clone is what I am shooting for so that gives me another option to research.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Thoughts on Shilen #1 barrel - 12/17/17
Pacnor makes a nice mtn rifle contour.
Bartlein's 0 contour is a good compromise. A little more weight in the shank and then goes as a straight taper like a feather weight without the first taper.
I think you can order the Shilen #1 longer as a custom item but maybe not, worth a call to them. Shaw will dupe the Mtn. Rifle contour. If other Shaw barrels shoot the way my Forbes does I would have no reservations on using their barrels in the future.
My Borden 280 AI sports a Lilja #1. The rifle weighs just under 7#. It was cobbled together by Kampfeld Kustoms. Wuz gonna post a picture but the website is holding my pictures hostage.
Anyone have any thoughts of using a #2 contour and fluting the barrel? What would be the smallest contour that could be safely fluted? Any pictures?
The No 2 Shillen with the shank cut right back is a fine option at 22 inches
I have a Shilen #2 on my 243 win, and it is Match vs Select Match, and it is plenty accurate for hunting. Most groups are sub MOA, largest are still not bad..Very pleased. And while not heavy at all, it is about 1/2 pound heavier than a Douglas #2 in 284 win of same length. About 42-43 oz for the 23" Shilen vs 35 oz for the Douglas. Couple ounces of that is probably due to the bore.
Thinking about trying to do a lightweight, mountain rifle build using a Shilen #1 barrel. Seems a lot of people use the #2 barrel, but I am looking for something similar to a Remington Mountain Rifle contour. Can't seem to find any pictures of rifles using a #1 contour. Would be interested in seeing any pictures or builds using a Shilen #1 or other #1 /FW barrels.

Also forgot to ask...any practical hunting difference between the match and select match barrels? Looks to be about 70.00 difference in price between the two.

Thanks,
Ansley

A Lilja #1 will get you the length you need... And they're excellent barrels. http://riflebarrels.com/barrel-contour-data/

And here's their factory copy of the Rem Mtn contour: http://riflebarrels.com/wp-content/uploads/remmtn24.pdf

As to Shilen's contour - I have no idea why they feel the need to cut off 1" of shank.. IMHO, that's silly.. Most barrel makers do want at least 1/2" off the muzzle end; that I can understand.. But the shank? Bah...
My Brown Precision 7mm-08 Kevlar has a 20" #1 Shilen Match barrel and it is fine for what I use it for. It weighs just under 7 pounds with a 1.5-6x42 30mm Zeiss scope. Brown Precision tapered my stock M700 7mm RM 24" barrel to a #1 taper for my mountain rifle and that one goes under 7# with a 30 mm Euro scope too. I carry them more than I shoot them, so a #1 works for me, but for a longer range rifle I might go with a #2 for a little more weight up front.
Posted By: keith Re: Thoughts on Shilen #1 barrel - 12/19/17
Many old time gunsmiths would not offer an "accuracy guarantee" with less than a #5 contour, #4 was minimum.....just say'en. Some people can shoot and reload better than others, like Redneck.
I used a #1 Shilen on a LH M700 action in .270 Weatherby for many years. The finished length was 24".

Attached picture DSC_0421a.jpg
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
I used a #1 Shilen on a LH M700 action in .270 Weatherby for many years. The finished length was 24".

Maybe in the olden days, years past, but they haven't offered one that long in many years if ever.

I don't know how I missed cutting off 1" off each end of the barrel. It is written in red on the contour page...

Had Melvin at Nula rebarrel my Forbes with one of his Douglas barrels , a #1 at 22 inches and it has probably at least 1 3/8 of shank. Gun shoots real good.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

Maybe in the olden days, years past, but they haven't offered one that long in many years if ever.

I'm sure you're right, Butch. I had that barrel installed nearly 25 years ago. If I remember correctly, the blank was exactly 24", and was intended to be 22" finished. We used the whole thing. It shot just fine.
Interesting. I called yesterday to inquire about a special order #1 to finish at 22” and they told me it could not be done as barrel would be too thin. Almost have settled on a #2 as a compromise but I am still researching other manufacturers.
I just chambered a Shilen barrel a couple of days ago that was supposed to finish at 26-27" and it came 31" long.
My 6.5x257AI has a Pac-nor mountain rifle contour that's 24". Fits the factory stock perfectly, but adds a little out at the end for better balance.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Thoughts on Shilen #1 barrel - 01/01/18
I've found that a lot of the old school barrel makers have what almost borders on paranoia about lightweight barrel contours. You often have to fight to get a long skinny contour you can buy standard on a production rifle, Winchester or Remington or Tikka, especially. But if the big makers (esp look at the lightweight Tikka fluted contours) can get away with it, hard to see why a custom outfit can't do it better.
Originally Posted by TX35W
I've found that a lot of the old school barrel makers have what almost borders on paranoia about lightweight barrel contours. You often have to fight to get a long skinny contour you can buy standard on a production rifle, Winchester or Remington or Tikka, especially. But if the big makers (esp look at the lightweight Tikka fluted contours) can get away with it, hard to see why a custom outfit can't do it better.

Tell me how thin a contour Remington offers and the length of the skinny one.
© 24hourcampfire