Home
Posted By: gene270 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/13/18
if you had a rifle that was going to get a new barrel and had a choice between these two which one would you pick and why....advantages/ disadvantages if there are any
Posted By: smokepole Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/13/18
I'd look at brass availability and quality as the biggest difference. Norma makes SAUM and Hornady just started making WSM. I know the Norma is good, don't know anything about the Hornady.
Posted By: JPro Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/13/18
Originally Posted by gene270
if you had a rifle that was going to get a new barrel and had a choice between these two which one would you pick and why....advantages/ disadvantages if there are any

What rifle and mag box length?
Posted By: gene270 Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/13/18
ultra light arms...3.00 inch mag box
Posted By: hanco Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/13/18
7 WSM
Posted By: Adamjp Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/13/18
SAUM.
Does everything you need it to do. Brass is available from Norma which means it is very good quality. Slightly shorter case length helps with balancing handloads with overall length and jump/jam of VLD bullets in a typical box magazine.

WSM.
Does nothing more than the SAUM, but uses more powder to do it. Brass is unavailable, except maybe from Hornady, which is fairly poor quality. Quite long case length (longer than even the 300 WSM) hinders use of VLD bullets in a typical box magazine.

I reckon 7mm SAUM is likely to outlast the 7mm WSM if only down to the wildcats being built from it.
Posted By: fredIII Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/13/18
I have one of each, the 7wsm is getting 3070fps with 180 eldm 23” Barrel
7 saum is getting 2980 fps with 160 accubonds 22” Barrel
Of the two with Norma 300 wsm brass available don’t take much to make7mm wsm.

My pick would be 7wsm.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/13/18
7mm WSM !!!
Posted By: jeeper Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/13/18
Originally Posted by gene270
ultra light arms...3.00 inch mag box

7 Saum
Posted By: Brad Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18
WSM
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18
6.5 PRC 😉
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18
WSM
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18
7 RSAUM will handle all the hunting you will ever do.

I have hunted with nearly every 7mm. My preference is the 7 Wby.
WSM brass is far more available than the orphaned RSAUM, and the WSM case takes best advantage of a 3” magazine... some of the newer powders turn the WSM into a beltless, SA 7mm RM.

But I have no use for either smile
Originally Posted by Brad
WSM brass is far more available than the orphaned RSAUM, and the WSM case takes best advantage of a 3” magazine... some of the newer powders turn the WSM into a beltless, SA 7mm RM.

Because you prefer your 308, right?
Yes!

But I do have a 300 WSM.
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18
The SAUM, without a doubt. Brass is very easy to find.
Yes!

But I do have a 300 WSM.

smile
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18
WSM...
Posted By: beretzs Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18
WSM... not tough to make brass out of 300 WSM...
Posted By: Gunaddict Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18
Saum
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18

Ha 280AI and don’t look back
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/14/18
Having had both, I'll be doing another SAUM when life allows.

I've seen the reports of Hornady making WSM brass, which doesn't excite me the least bit after the last couple weeks loading their 6.5 SAUM offering.
Hate to say, Hornady brass is sub-par.
Posted By: noKnees Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/15/18
Saum, Its more loved by the target community which means it will likely hang on longer.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/15/18
On a 3" box, I'd go 7 WSM and build it around 300 WSM brass necked down with false shoulders, no neck turn.
Posted By: fredIII Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/16/18

Brad is, The reason the left wins against hunters over and over. So take the [bleep] word whit a grain of salt and a bunch of GFY.
Posted By: hanco Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
I like the 270 WSM more!
Posted By: GregW Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by hanco
I like the 270 WSM more!

Which makes zero sense....
Posted By: SKane Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by GregW
I like the 270 WSM more!

And don't expect any sort of rationale. grin
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by SKane
I like the 270 WSM more!

And don't expect any sort of rationale. grin

Cuz there is no rationale.

There isn’t a lick of difference on game between all three.

There may be a difference in other things, such as availability of components or factory ammo, but nearly all of those would favor the .270 WSM except for all the bullets available for the 7MMs. They won’t kill any better than existing .277 bullets, though.
Posted By: fredIII Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
I kinda like The 7mmwsm with 180 eldm at 3070 but if half the wind drift at 500 over a 270 wsm with the best bullet offered is the same then you have this figured out.
Still waiting for the nxs3-15 so I got bored and put a b-1o on order in Moa as well I will let you know how I like the two.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by fredIII
I kinda like The 7mmwsm with 180 eldm at 3070 but if half the wind drift at 500 over a 270 wsm with the best bullet offered is the same then you have this figured out.

Dang man maybe I am babying my 7 WSM. I got a 26.5" barrel and settled on 3080 fps. Went up to 70 grains of 26 and got well above 3100 fps but since 7 WSM win brass is like unicorn tears I was hoping to get some extra firings out of it of course now that Hornady is selling brass for it maybe I should just say screw it and hammer down. smile

Either way I do dig the way it bucks the wind. I need all the help I can get in that regard. smile
Posted By: smokepole Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
WSM brass is far more available than the orphaned RSAUM......

Not in 7 mm.

Absolutely agree that 7mm has way more bullets available, especially at the heavy end of the spectrum. The .270s simply cannot compete there.
Posted By: SKane Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

Absolutely agree that 7mm has way more bullets available, especially at the heavy end of the spectrum. The .270s simply cannot compete there.

That seems like a rationale to me. smile

Bullet availability and BC are pretty big deals....
Posted By: Brad Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by smokepole
WSM brass is far more available than the orphaned RSAUM......

Not in 7 mm.

I'll have to disagree, I said "far more available"... Right now I can go to the local GS and buy Winchester, or Hornady in 7mm WSM, or order Bertram. Winchester and Hornady are pretty affordable.

7 SAUM is available from Remington (good luck finding it) Nosler and Norma (expensive options), none of which are available to me locally, and I live in one of the nuttier gun nut corners of the globe.

I actually prefer the design of the SAUM over the WSM, but in a 3" magazine I'd still lean to the WSM. I believe it's available on more shelves, and it certainly has more gas if 75 fps means anything.

Key words "right now." That's the only reason Hornady's recent introduction of 7WSM brass was noteworthy.

Yes and no.

For performance on game at hunting distances, BC superiority rarely gets a chance to show itself. And there isn’t exactly a dearth of .277 bullets ..... there are plenty and the vast majority of them are hunting bullets rather than match bullets, which make up the bulk of the heavy, high-BC 7mm bullet selection.

Of course, it’s more of a philosophical decision and we all have our own beliefs. For hunting, I personally would take the shorter flight time, better trajectory and proven penetration and bone-breaking ability of a 140 TTSX over a 180 ELD-M with nary a thought. Since there is nothing a 7mm 140 TTSX can do that a .277 130 TTSX cannot, there is no rationale for choosing one over the other based on performance on game or availability of good hunting bullets.

For punching paper at 600 yards and beyond, the heavy 7mm match bullets obviously have an advantage. Those bullets don’t have to (and aren’t designed or expected to) bust the hip and off shoulder when the only shot presented is the south end of a north-facing bull elk.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18

Yes and no.

For performance on game at hunting distances, BC superiority rarely gets a chance to show itself. And there isn’t exactly a dearth of .277 bullets ..... there are plenty and the vast majority of them are hunting bullets rather than match bullets, which make up the bulk of the heavy, high-BC 7mm bullet selection.

Of course, it’s more of a philosophical decision and we all have our own beliefs. For hunting, I personally would take the shorter flight time, better trajectory and proven penetration and bone-breaking ability of a 140 TTSX over a 180 ELD-M with nary a thought. Since there is nothing a 7mm 140 TTSX can do that a .277 130 TTSX cannot, there is no rationale for choosing one over the other based on performance on game or availability of good hunting bullets.

For punching paper at 600 yards and beyond, the heavy 7mm match bullets obviously have an advantage. Those bullets don’t have to (and aren’t designed or expected to) bust the hip and off shoulder when the only shot presented is the south end of a north-facing bull elk.

What is a hunting distance?
Subjective?
Better be close or those two things apply. If it is, why you need a WSM anyway?
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What is a hunting distance?

In 42 years of hunting, my farthest shot on game is 435 yards. It also happened to be on the largest game animal I’ve ever killed, a massive 6pt bull elk that had to be near 1,000 lbs on the hoof. Taken with an impressive, lightning bolt DRT with a 125 NPT fired from a pet 700 custom job in 6.5x284. Only one other critter at 400 yards, a 14” Pronghorn buck taken with the same rifle and a 120 NBT.

My largest deer, a great 4x4 Mulie, happened at 385 yards with my .270 Weatherby Magnum shooting a 130 NPT. Everything else has been between 30 and 300 yards.

I guess for me, “hunting distances” means out to about a quarter mile, or so. I can’t imagine it’s much different for anyone else, and more than likely much shorter for most. The only exceptions I’d imagine would be those who actively seek to shoot animals at long range as a hunting style.
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Dang man maybe I am babying my 7 WSM. I got a 26.5" barrel and settled on 3080 fps. Went up to 70 grains of 26 and got well above 3100 fps but since 7 WSM win brass is like unicorn tears I was hoping to get some extra firings out of it of course now that Hornady is selling brass for it maybe I should just say screw it and hammer down. smile

Either way I do dig the way it bucks the wind. I need all the help I can get in that regard. smile

That’s RL 26 at 65grains in a 23 1/2” Obermeyer 1-8twist. Brass is federal it’s heavy compared to the Winchester stuff I have.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/18/18
A 1/8” 270 WSM wouldn’t exactly suck. I wouldn’t choose it over either 7, but 145 ELD,150 VLD and the 170 EOL ain’t exactly ashtrays.

I used the 170 in a 270 win this year on a deer, tad over 600 yards.. first time I’ve used the 270 in 10 years.
Originally Posted by rosco1
A 1/8” 270 WSM wouldn’t exactly suck. I wouldn’t choose it over either 7, but 145 ELD,150 VLD and the 170 EOL ain’t exactly ashtrays.

I used the 170 in a 270 win this year on a deer, tad over 600 yards.. first time I’ve used the 270 in 10 years.

How fast are you pushing the 170 eol.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/19/18
2730 matches up with ballistic AE. RE26, 22” barrel

never chronographed that one,not a bullet I’ll continue to use in the win; I just wanted to shoot something with them and my 270wby wont stabilize them.
Posted By: fredIII Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/19/18
Copy that I got a 270win with a lilja 1-10 shoots 140 and 150 very well but she would not stabilize that 170 on top of Everest.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/19/18
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

That’s RL 26 at 65grains in a 23 1/2” Obermeyer 1-8twist. Brass is federal it’s heavy compared to the Winchester stuff I have.

Thank you sir!! I must have a slow barrel or yours is speedy. Either way a 180 ELDM going 3050+ doesn't suck I just apprently need 3 more grains of powder to get there than you do. smile
Posted By: fredIII Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/21/18
My barrel is very very fast I could not be happier.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: 7mm wsm or 7mm saum - 01/21/18
My barrel is very very fast I could not be happier.

For sure...luckily RL26 is so dense that even with 3 more grains its still not even close to a compressed load and still room to work up. Thanks for the info!
© 24hourcampfire