Posted By: aalf 6.5 PRC - 01/18/18

Here we go.......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/18/18
Details man, details!!!
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/18/18

Patience Grasshoppah......
Posted By: Boxer Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/18/18
Assumin' no-turn and .125"-ish freebore,the PRC'd be a breeze in binderless AICS mags...though I've yet to see a piece of Hornady brass worth a fhuqk. My last batcha AM binderless AICS mags were supposed to be 308,but were in fact 300 Whizzum,so I had to go Old School with 42" bar and close rails.

After gunning multiple Kreedmires against my 6.5-06(147 ELD's in both),the Kreedmire's mild manners and astounding consistency,is an easy preference.Cain't hate on my 260AI and 2900fps 147's...but again prefer the Kreedmires to it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When thinkin'/talkin' Whizzum-esque stuff,I'm purty sweet on Montucky 7 Whizzum magfed 180ELD Smooches at 2950fps.

[Linked Image]

'Course...I shot alotta 7-08/162's this past week too and am more than a touch "comfy" with same,betwixt my mitts. Had the weather to really extrapolate 147/162/180's and a .796BC ain't tough to cypher.(grin)

1-8" 280 coming up next,as a dedicated 180 ELD Launcher,due the splendor of 700 L/A COAL latitude and the NO bullschit associated.

Film at 11:00.(grin)

Originally Posted by Boxer
Assumin' no-turn and .125"-ish freebore

Hornady specs are .188" freebore, giving an OAL of 2.940"ish.......

Mine's still a no turn, despite narrowing up the neck a couple thou, and stretched it to a .200' freebore........
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/18/18
What bullets are you planning for Al?

Interested to see how it works out for you. My largest chambering for a while has been a 6.5x47, but the bigger stuff retains SOME appeal, at times.
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
What bullets are you planning for Al?
Interested to see how it works out for you. My largest chambering for a while has been a 6.5x47, but the bigger stuff retains SOME appeal, at times.

Carl,

Concentrating on 140 VLD's vs 147 ELD's for starters & see where that leads.

I'm a big 47 fan, but this one was calling my name..........
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/20/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/20/18
Nice
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/20/18
I've got a PRC headed my way....
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/20/18
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I've got a PRC headed my way....

Cool......we can compare notes....
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by aalf
[Linked Image]

Long action 700?
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Long action 700?

Yup.....

Parts list consist of the stainless 700 long action, fluted bolt, 28" Bartlein 5R Remington Varmint contour barrel, tuned old style trigger, BDL bottom metal, McMillan Marksman stock, 30 MOA Seekins picatinny rail, Seekins medium high 30mm rings, and a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 HS ZS with the NP-R1 reticle on top.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/21/18
Good lookin iron..
Posted By: slm9s Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/21/18
The McMillan Marksman pattern is highly underrated. I seem to hardly ever see them mentioned.
Originally Posted by Judman
Good lookin iron..

Thanks.....
Originally Posted by slm9s
The McMillan Marksman pattern is highly underrated. I seem to hardly ever see them mentioned.

I whole heartedly agree. They are my number 1 favorite for a varmint/plinking/long range shooting stock.

Not sure why they don't see more love.........

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by slm9s

Never heard of that pattern
When they designed the A-5, they stole the forend dimensions from the Marksman, which was a copy off of the original Winchester Marksman pattern.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Gotcha, I’m liking that
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/22/18
But but but....the bolt handle is too big. smile

J/K great looking rifle AALF!! Hard not to like that setup right there.
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/22/18

Not much data out there yet except for Hornady and a blurb from GAP.

So........ I started low, shooting 1 shot each in 1 grain increments for a base line, then went to 3 shot groups, ending at 3199 fps with the 140 VLD's and 3128 fps with the 147 ELD's, all with H-1000.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/22/18
Nice that’s noticeably better that factory figures...
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/22/18
Very nice!!! How long did are you loading them? What did you spec the reamer to get ya?
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
What did you spec the reamer to get ya?

The print Hornady submitted to JGS had a .188" freebore. Since I was building on a long action, I didn't care about OAL, so I specified a .200" for a little more room for the 147's in case I settled on shooting them. Thought about going even more for the new Berger and JLK's coming, but chickened out.

Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
How long did are you loading them?

I'm .020" in the lands for starters, so 140 Bergers are 2.995" and the Hornadys are 3.010"
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/23/18
Thanks for the info....I like the sounds of that for sure!!
Posted By: Boxer Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/23/18
I'd of never guessed L/A on a S/A chambering,thus the impetus to lose freebore,so as to connect dots on S/A binderless DBM Smooches. I'll ALWAYS happily trade .075" of freebore,so as to set a L/A aside and rock a S/A.

.125" freebore would do it all. Kreedmire SALAMI .200" freebore is too much too,though easily nipped tidily,with binderless DBM's.

I shoot 147's in more than a few chamberings and cain't forget about that Alpha brass and it's splendor in Kreedmire,if only because ES/SD simply don't exist. Have a Fake MacAmillion Grayboe Terrain enroute,if only to see WTF and laugh a little...and it'll likely be another Kreedmire or BR. I'm more than wayyyyyy happy with a Kreedmire,well beyond it's transonic slip and have seen me do so daily.

Less is sooooooo very often more,especially with 30+ Mils remaining on an erector.

I sorta/kinda get where you were coming from,but I personally gotta have more than a few GOOD reasons to go L/A and Hornady brass,which'll easily be replicated in a S/A...ain't ANY of 'em.(grin)

Now as feed/function goes,I've long rated it purty high,mainly because I shoot a smidge. If it weren't a fret,I'd prolly nab a solid bottom S/A 700,go receiver diameter "contour",neutral FL bed the works,scallop a Weatherby-esque ejection port cut out and run it as a Play Toy. Too easy to connect all dots in a S/A,pay heed to things that matter(twist,COAL,throating) and ring the bell. Hell...I've seen me do it! OFTEN.

If'n a transonic slip were a focus,I'd simply grab one of my (3) Montucky 7 Whizzum's and bask in the sanctity of a 200yd zero'd 2950fps 180ELD staying super' to the 2050+ yard line,in even my atmosphere. No thang there and 22.3 Mils of erector travel,is barely 50% of a Fixed Fhuqker's erector travel,then there's 10 more Mils laying in wait on the windshield. Hint. 2050yd full value 10mph wind is a "whopping" 3.4 Mils. Ain't even "fair".(grin)

My "trouble" is,I've seen brass,twist,throat and COAL matter more than a smidge. It goes without saying,that once the novelty wears off,you'll come full circle back to the .123" throated S/A '47 and a OEM 'box Smooch,as a stalwart mainstay...if only because it'll reliably out Agg' same. The PRC's bane,is it SALAMI throating geometry and the great void in platforms that'll accomodate same,even without binders. While I certainly LOVE Hornady boolits,their brass is right at the bottom of the fhuqking heap and that don't sweeten an already heavily compromised deal. Spill your guts on how the new ride treats you.

As an aside,ain't it a hoot,that it's a not so curious constant,that plagiarism is as close as some folks can get?!?

Bless their hearts.

Laffin'!
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/23/18
This platform was barrel-less, so OAL length was a non-issue. Again, I only added .012" to the factory freebore dimension, which can be the difference in lot numbers. Doesn't matter if it feeds, as it's just a LR plinker. Regardless, the Crapmore can't hang with the PRC.

I've got 83 MOA remaining, zeroed at 200, and still stay super to over a mile......

My 47 reamer has .123" freebore, and stays under 2.750" hard in the lands, and latest rendition runs 130 VLD's at 3010 in John Holmes guise.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/23/18
Ahhhh the “crapmoor “!! Seems fitting, grin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 300stw Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/24/18
any companies announced there actually chambering a rifle at the shot show yet
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 01/25/18

Next up, I concentrated in the middle of the spectrum, starting at 3025 and ending at 3144 with the Bergers, and beginning at 2945 and ending at 3063 with the Hornadys.

It was only around 30*, but I kept the ammo in the truck to keep it around 65* during testing. Due to the nasty little quartering tail wind making it a challenging day, I broke tradition and tested at 100 rather than the normal 200.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: 6.5 PRC - 02/11/18
Originally Posted by 300stw
any companies announced there actually chambering a rifle at the shot show yet

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/new-sauer-100-pantera-rifle-6-5-prc-shot-show-2018/
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ech-pantera-fieldshoot-cherokee-atacama/

Posted By: dave7mm Re: 6.5 PRC - 02/13/18
Nice model 33....

dave
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/04/18

Time to update & fix a couple missing pics.....

First pic was the reamer:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/04/18

Second pic was the pile of parts:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/05/18
After multiple rounds of testing, I found decent loads with the 140 VLD's at 3125, and 147 ELD's at just under 3000, both off the lands for best accuracy.

However, I still wasn't satisfied, so I ordered up a big box of Sierra's new 150 grain Matchkings to test.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/05/18
I like that rifle and it would be about perfect for my long range steel and deer needs.

I was actively on the search for an action to build a PRC when I came across a very well built 6.5 WSM. Gap tempest, 27” 1:8 benchmark, McMillan HTG with adjustable cheek, Seekins metal with binderless Accurate Mags. I’m getting 3300 out of the 140 vld and 143 eld-x, 3250 with the 147’s and groups have been into the .2-.3 on work up.

Simple pass of 270 WSM brass through the Dies and away it goes.

Will still probably build a PRC for fun but it will be much harder now.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/05/18
Nice AALF, as always give the report when done...
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/05/18
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I was actively on the search for an action to build a PRC when I came across a very well built 6.5 WSM. Gap tempest, 27” 1:8 benchmark, McMillan HTG with adjustable cheek, Seekins metal with binderless Accurate Mags. I’m getting 3300 out of the 140 vld and 143 eld-x, 3250 with the 147’s and groups have been into the .2-.3 on work up.

I'd say you did alright.

This action started life as a 25-06, turned first into my 7x300WM, and now the PRC, so anything fatter in diameter was off the table, as I didn't want to open up the feed rails as would be needed with SAUM/WSM hulls.
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/06/18

As mentioned earlier, I ordered the reamer with .200" freebore, as I wasn't concerned with overall length building on a long action. I knew Hornady's specs were .188", and luckily my 6.5-284 reamer was the same, so I seated bullets in the 6.5-284 chamber & extrapolated seating depth around .020" in the lands in the PRC case.

So then I made a couple of dummy rounds with 140 VLD's and 147 ELD's to compare. Knowing the hazards of specing to the longest bullet could pose a problem if I couldn't get it to shoot, I set the reamer up for the Bergers, and resigned to the fact the Hornadys would seat quite a bit deeper.

I called up JGS, specified the .200" freebore and narrowed the neck up a couple thou, and ordered the reamer.

This is the results......L to R......140 VLD - 147 ELD - 150 SMK:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/06/18
Boy that 150 is a slick lookin sumbitch.

Looks are not deceiving in this case.....
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/06/18

This action started life as a 25-06, turned first into my 7x300WM, and now the PRC, so anything fatter in diameter was off the table, as I didn't want to open up the feed rails as would be needed with SAUM/WSM hulls.

I have a spare magun 700 action in my safe which I what I would probably use to build the PRC and I would spec it damn near exactly like you did. Of course that new John Hancock action appears to have a lot going for it with a nice price as well. And now having a tempest I am definitely a fan, love my buddies defiance as well.
love my buddies defiance as well.

That medium length Defiance would be the cat's ass for the PRC.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/06/18

Might have to do a 6.5 badger for these new heavy 6.5 boolits....
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/07/18

Might have to do a 6.5 badger for these new heavy 6.5 boolits....

Good luck with that......

One guy has blown up the 150 SMK's at a lot less velocity than the Badger is capable of, although a 7.5 twist, but only 2930.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/07/18
Smack on here has a reamer, think he was runnin 160 matrix at 3450.150’s at 3600 wouldn’t suck, if you can hold em together.. grin
A nine twist might let you play at 3500-3600....I don't know.

We all realize barrels are a consumable product, but I want more than 500 rounds of barrel life.

I already have 400 down this tube......
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/07/18

aalf you mean like this..........
.[Linked Image]
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/07/18
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

That’s the one sir.

I am really liking this Tempest more every time I shoot it. The big round bolt knob took a bit to get used to but man is it smooth as butter and feeds like it has eyes

[Linked Image]
How ya like that kahles Matt?
I could get a lot a killin in....
Maybe the 156 bergers will hold up betta
Posted By: fredIII Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/07/18

That’s the one sir.

I am really liking this Tempest more every time I shoot it. The big round bolt knob took a bit to get used to but man is it smooth as butter and feeds like it has eyes

[Linked Image]

243wssm brass is on its way the model seven is boxed up and kiff sent me a reamer print for Scott. Going to put a 8.4 t Boots on it as it’s probably the last one that I will ever have the chance to obtain. It’s really looking like 260 AI speed with tons of box to use on the long stuff. Going to eat creeds.
I had a pint of whiskey in the freezer for you and you could have ask in person.
I’m going to crash your range really soon.
Eating creeds ain’t hard, your scared to come to the hollar.... Matt will never be the same if he follows suit. Hell gtf outta king county for sure.... grin
PS where’s steelhead and and the lying fuucking bushelor????? Grin

.[Linked Image]

Hell ya.......

What's max OAL?
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/07/18
Defiance says 3.2 I like having the extra room but not really needed with the .081 freebore, but if I ever decide to go with a longer freebore this action will be nice to have!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by fredIII
[Linked Image]

Whatzat?
Defiance says 3.2 I like having the extra room but not really needed with the .081 freebore, but if I ever decide to go with a longer freebore this action will be nice to have!

Another option for guys wanting to run this cartridge with a longer freebore in a 700 long action, is to go with PT&G's detachable bottom metal that fits factory BDL inlets.

In the reviews, a guy noted that OAL was limited to 3.428" in his, making it a peachy fit for the PRC.
PS where’s steelhead and and the lying fuucking bushelor????? Grin

I thought steelhead was at your place.

As to whooping a creed I’m fixing to do it with more case and a shorter action. Just because I can/ It’s the only way to make a model 7, 7saum useful.
NXS 3.5-15x50
Posted By: irfubar Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/07/18
Fred,

I think Alf was asking for details on the rifle you pictured?
Details man ,
It’s a Remington 721, action is bored .709 Ptg bolt at .704, it’s tight, M16 extractor. Modified the split sear to open on safe. Re sprung it’s good enough. Has a benchmark #6 at 24” 9T 5grove PTG bottom and sits in a manners T. It was my uncles only worldly possessions when he passed. He would be proud and it ain’t a safe queen. The bases are 20moa Nightforce and the Warner low rings hold the 3.5-15 nxs right where I like it.
iMR ssc7828 58.5 grains, CCI 200, Norma brass and 162 ELD-X at 2940. Shoots in the .3”.

Pictures from 2016 but she got a work out in 17 as well.

[Linked Image]

I’m way off topic now. LOL.
I’m way off topic now. LOL.

It's the fire, it's expected.....ha ha.....

Glad to see uncle's prize carry on.
I'm re-posting this pic again to make it easier to compare seating depths to overall lengths,
when seated in the lands with .200" freebore:

(L) 140 VLD - 2.995"

(M) 147 ELD - 3.010"

(R) 150 SMK - 3.090"

[Linked Image]

So I loaded up some test loads with H-1000 and the Sierras, & gave them a go. With the shorter bearing surface of the 150's I figured I could go a hair more than where I did with the Hornadys. When I got to 3125, they shot damn good, but was on the edge of too much.

A day later I tested them again, and while bolt lift was snug, I could chamber fired brass with ease.

I finished up with this target:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/07/18
How ya like that kahles Matt?

It’s been with me for a few years and I can’t quit it. MSR reticle that isn’t very cluttered so I love it for long range shooting and hunting as I have no practical use for the tree reticles. It’s perfect on the WSM and the works was indeed at Fred’s 2 weekends ago, had to watch his nephew didn’t steal it and my 22/410. 😁

243wssm brass is on its way the model seven is boxed up and kiff sent me a reamer print for Scott. Going to put a 8.4 t Boots on it as it’s probably the last one that I will ever have the chance to obtain. It’s really looking like 260 AI speed with tons of box to use on the long stuff. Going to eat creeds.

Like I said at the house if it does what I think it will it will be a head scratcher why it was never a factory round.

your scared to come to the hollar.... Matt will never be the same if he follows suit. Hell gtf outta king county for sure.... grin

Not much spooks me. Fred and his kin tried to kill my liver via bottles and it hung in like a champ. I’m actively planting seeds in the wife’s head to move south ASAP, I’m sure I can convince Fred’s wife to help if I promise to babysit him more.
Posted By: fredIII Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/08/18
This is the 147eldm. She will fit just fine with room to spare. The 130 Berger might be to short. 😎
[Linked Image]

Next to a 7wsm for scale.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/08/18
Fred that’s a wicked looking bastard
Word on the street is Jud is looking to build a 6.5 maybe he can fall in love with this one. It will shoot 108 at 3500. LOL.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/08/18
6.5 wssm?
Smith should have everything needed in a couple days. Then just wait my turn.

Yes 6.5wssm. On a model 7. Was waiting for brass for about the last year but grafs delivery this afternoon fixed that.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/08/18
That should be a dandy Frederick!!
Aalf talked to smack, aka Landon he got 200 rounds outta his badger fore the snout took a [bleep]... grin
As a practical light weight back packing rifle it should be superb. As a rifle for the kids to learn and hunt on it will be excellent. It should be a 260 ai equivalent in a light and compact youth sized package and I figure it should be stellar across the board. The parts set is great and any kid would love it.
Aalf talked to smack, aka Landon he got 200 rounds outta his badger fore the snout took a [bleep]... grin
160’s at 3400 would definitely be hard on a throat. Can’t see the 6.5 wby or any of them pushing much over 3200 being kind to the throat unless a guy kept it cool.

I suppose me and Aalf will both be seeing how 3100-3250 treats then as well. Mine still looks great at 250 down it.

Just do a 6.5 wsm You will like it and everything with fur will hate it.
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/08/18
My turn.....

So the next time out I decided my current load was too warm for my liking, so I aborted the shoot and went back to the drawing board.

I consulted notes & targets from earlier, loaded up a few more test rounds, and gave them a go. Ended up at the next lower node running the 150's at 3025. Went home, cleaned the gun, and loaded a bunch to test at distance.

Next morning I got to my spot while there was still light wind and frost on the ground, letting me drive to 600. I dropped off that target, drove back to 100, and dropped off the other. Got my stuff all set up, and shot the first three out of the clean/cold barrel, dead on 1.1" high.

Jumped in the truck, picked up the 100 yard target, dropped it off at 200, drove back, and shot 3 more. 1st hit the 10 ring, 2nd a half inch low, 3rd out to the right, dammit.

By this time, the sun was warming things up too much to drive, so I walked out, moved the target to 300, walked back, and shot 3. Wow, now I know why the 3rd at 200 blew right. I hadn't realized how much the wind/mirage had picked up, despite being calm at the bench.

Walked out to 300 & moved the target to the 400 line, came back & shot 3, holding center still. Mirage was running hard enough that I only spotted the 1st round at 2:00 o'clock off the red, the other two I couldn't see. I decided to shoot the 600 next before moving, so after waiting a few minutes to cool the barrel, I launched 3 at the top 600 yard target, of course not see a thing through the spotting scope.

Walked down to 400, moved the target to 500, then on out to the 600 target to see where/if I even hit it. Cool, I caught the right edge. Hump it back to ground zero, and get on the 500 yard target. By the time I got back, the sky had clouded over, and I hadn't realized the wind had temporarily laid down. I held on the red ring on the left at 9 o'clock, & ripped off 3. The mirage had went away also, so I could see those 3 nestled together at 7 o'clock through the spotting scope. WOW!

So I immediately dialed the scope, moved to the lower 600 target, held center, and shot 3. Staring through the spotting scope, the light mirage finally cleared out, and I saw the impacts.......F'ING A!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Targets at 400 and 600 yards:

[Linked Image]

600 yard target:

[Linked Image]
Nice work aalf...
Good shooting aalf that is way above average.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/08/18
Now you are going to have to buy another barrel just to have something to work on until spring. Think load development on that one is in in the bag
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 03/08/18
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Now you are going to have to buy another barrel just to have something to work on until spring.

Latest snow just threw spring a curve. However, I was thinking maybe I should get another in reserve cause I'm going to wear this one out if I don't find a load soon.

I have 400 rounds down the tube now, and the throat still looks great through the borescope.

This Hornady brass is some good schitt too.

Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Think load development on that one is in in the bag

I think you're right. I have everything loaded ready to go long when spring breaks for good.

Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 PRC - 04/25/20

Another look.......
© 24hourcampfire