Home
Posted By: Ky221 Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/14/18
This has been hashed out before I know but my searching isn’t turning up much, this post may not either. We will see.

If you were putting togther the most perfect rifle that was ever put together for coyotes and deer only,
a rifle that was gonna be carried more than shot. How would you go about it? A 243 or a 25-06 would make a lot of sense and be easy but this is the fire afterall. Would you go with one of the fast twist 22 centerfires? Bump
Up to 6mm? What stock and optics setup would you go with? Barrel contour? Etc etc

This is pretty broad and has lots of gaps I know. I’m just looking for anything at this point. Be as specific or as vague as you’d like
25/06 or 240 weatherby
Posted By: atse Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/14/18
243, or 6 creed, 8 twist barrel, fiberglass stock, good scope, 105 bullets. Can't beat it. I have the 243.
Originally Posted by Ky221
This has been hashed out before I know but my searching isn’t turning up much, this post may not either. We will see.

If you were putting togther the most perfect rifle that was ever put together for coyotes and deer only,
a rifle that was gonna be carried more than shot. How would you go about it? A 243 or a 25-06 would make a lot of sense and be easy but this is the fire afterall. Would you go with one of the fast twist 22 centerfires? Bump
Up to 6mm? What stock and optics setup would you go with? Barrel contour? Etc etc

This is pretty broad and has lots of gaps I know. I’m just looking for anything at this point. Be as specific or as vague as you’d like

For the traveling hunter or a Kentucky "homebody"....?

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: ingwe Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/14/18
Gary...a fast twist ( 1 in 8) in a .22-250...your choice of maker, but Tikka is high on my list...
25-06!!!!
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/14/18
Verminator. Let’s say the Kentucky homebody. I don’t see a trip for predators or deer outside of my home state anytime soon.

Tom- I had a tikka, was a nice rifle, shot really well. It was a 243. Probably should have kept it.
.338 WIn Mag- what was the question again?
Posted By: jk16 Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/14/18
If you run all the numbers -ballistics, component costs etc for deer and varmints-the 243 wins hands down. It's not even a contest.

And while a 1-8" twist is great ,its not needed.. A Sierra 95g TMK will stabilize just fine in most 1-10 rifles and at 3,000FPS + with a .500 BC it will do anything you need done at longer ranges.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
25-06!!!!

^^^^This^^^^
Posted By: ingwe Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
25-06!!!!

I've got one of those now!

I gotta go shoot it!
Growing up in western KY, 300 yards was a long shot. You really had to try to find a shot further than that.

If that is still the case, the .243 is more than you need. But, what does need have to do with anything.....

I would say Remington M-7 Predator in .243, or Kimber Montana.
Top it with a 3-9x or 3.5-10x in whatever flavor of scope that you prefer.
Considering shots are not likely to be very long where you live, I'd be inclined to agree with Ingwe. A fast twist 22-250 or AI is a monster on deer and coyotes. An 8 twist 22 Creedmoor would be cool also, if ever standardized. Fast twist .224's are all my family uses these days on our Missouri farm and nobody has any complaints.

For deer the 62gr TTSX @3400fps (SAAMI) or 3600fps (Ackley) is incredibly handy, pretty much point and click out to 300yds when sighted properly. I will mention that when using that bullet, we make sure to always break at least one shoulder. Bloodtrails generally suck with monos and with .224's even more so. They don't run far when rib shot but can be tricky to find in heavy cover....

For coyotes we like the 75gr or ELD-M or A-Max and used to be all we shot from our fast twist .224's. They kill deer with authority using the traditional lung shot and mangle coyotes from any angle. It really is a do-all bullet and I could happily run it for everything but for deer I've come to prefer the non existent meat damage yielded by the Barnes...

X-VERMINATOR
What stock and optics setup would you go with? Barrel contour? Etc etc
Be as specific or as vague as you’d like

My primary .224" is an 8" twist .22-250 AI. It is built on a SA Rem 700, Brux #2 @22", McMillan Mountain Rifle Pattern, Talley LW's, Timney trigger and a 6x42 Leupold with a M1 turret and windplex reticle. To me it's perfection for the coyote and deer hunting I do around the house.

Daughter is also shooting an 8" twist 22-250 AI, SA Rem 700, Pac-Nor #2 @22", McMillan Mountain Rifle Pattern, Talley LW's, and a 6x42 Leupold with Custom Shop dots to match the 75gr A-Max at 3250fps (fireform). The dot's also match the 62gr TTSX @3400fps (fireform) pretty closely out to 400yds, though we try to keep our shots on deer to within 350 with that bullet....

I had both of these rifles chambered with the same reamer so every time she pulls the trigger she is fireforming a Lapua case for my rifle and I don't have to over work the brass. Works out great for me and she is none the wiser.....grin!

The boy is right handed but left eye dominate, so I turned him around to shoot lefty at a very young age. For him I had Pac-Nor true up a LH Rem700 SA and screw on a 22" 8" twist #2, again chambered in .22-250AI. His stock is McMillan Compact pattern and the scope is a Leupold 3x9x40 VX-II with a M1 turret, Talley LW's and a tuned factory trigger. He does all his own fireforming using the A-Max's and like the rest of us, uses the Barnes for deer.

Wifey is a fair weather hunter but likes to contribute to the freezer when she can. For her, I bought one of the Wittaker special run 8" twist Ruger Americans in 22-250. I tuned the trigger down to 2.5lbs using the spring swap trick and put the barreled action into a Boyds laminate and mounted an old M8 6x42 with duplex reticle. This rifle has never seen anything but 62gr TTSX's around 3400fps. She is smitten and does quite well with it.

Pretty hard to beat a 7 to 8lb fast twist, high steppin' .224" if you ask me.............

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: hanco Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/15/18
Creedmoor, 25-05, 257 Weatherby.
How about a 6mm-284? Currently getting 3495 fps with 95 gr classic hunter. AND 4100 fps with a 55 gr nosler ballistic tip. All from a 24" barrel.
I cannot believe the 25-06 isn't extinct by now. 6mm's and 6.5's do everything and more.
Posted By: SKane Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/15/18
Originally Posted by atse
243, or 6 creed, 8 twist barrel, fiberglass stock, good scope, 105 bullets. Can't beat it. I have the 243.

This is where I'd lean as well.
But I'd caution that I've yet to land on the perfect anything – far too many chamberings that I need to get out of my system, so take my opining with a grain of salt. smile
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/15/18
Lot of good suggestions here........

As much sense as the 6mils make I’m really leaning toward a fast twist 22-250AI
Posted By: SKane Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/15/18
Nothing wrong with that choice!
Ky221,

My usual choice for yotes & WT is my Model 760 Remington pump in .244 Remington or my 760 in .300SAV with GCCB.
(My beloved Darla would choose her Model 7615 for both sorts of game.)

Coyotes & deer just aren't that hard to kill. = May I remind you/everyone that the old-school .22 Hornet as taken MANY of both species & that doesn't even consider the equally old-school .22 Savage HP.

Furthermore, IF the typical range is 100M or less, I might well reach for my .300 SAV & load it with my 170grain PBCB loads at about 1400FPS that are a "clone" of the .32-40WCF.

yours, tex
Deer make lots better eating than 'yotes.
trplen,

I never had a yen to try to eat a yote, though I've had all sorts of meat dishes OCONUS over the last 50 years. - Venison is my favorite game, followed closely by bear.

yours, tex
You could get a Barret Fieldcraft in 243 7-twist and be done with it.
257 Roberts (assuming that you hand-load). Pre64 M70 action, custom barrel of your choice, Micky stock.

I think I’d go .22 Creedmoor. Nearly identical capacity to 22-250 AI but won’t need to fireform.

John
30-06 will kill the hell out of coyotes and deer too.Many bullets to pick from.
Most of my cowboys down on the ranch preferred the .25-06. They hunted both desert mule deer and Coues whitetails, but the owners paid $10 per coyote tail, so a lot more coyotes than deer were taken.

When I put together a rifle for hunting deer and coyotes, it was a lightweight .257 AI on a Mexican Mauser action. Given the need, I would probably do the same thing again. It's also a very good cartridge for pronghorns.
The .25-06 was here be the c reed and will be in use when the creed is forgotten..
Posted By: keith Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/16/18
The 6.5 Creed would do it all, many good rifles being sold today, very long barrel life, easy to shoot. However, the 6.5 will make a mess out of a pelt.
Get what you want to kill deer with, if it will kill deer it will kill coyotes.

A bud was shooting the 75 AMax at 3550 fps with RL26 from his long barreled, fast twist 220 swift a couple summers ago. That thing was a monster. He was at least as successful on the 1200 yard steel plate as I was with a .243 and 105 AMax. We happened to run into an older gentleman at another shooting range one day who was shooting the same bullet with the same powder from his 22-250AI at 3450 fps. That was his preferred gun for 1,000 yard steel.

If a .224" rifle is legal for deer is your area, a 22-250AI should work just fine with several bullets. And the 75 ELD at such high velocities just might be the ultimate coyote slayer.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

I think I’d go .22 Creedmoor. Nearly identical capacity to 22-250 AI but won’t need to fireform.

John

Depending on brass , it might be a smidge greater capacity !

Why ? Shoulder diameter of the CM at .462", is as much as .010" greater than the AI chambering.
I've seen & measured AI's that weren't even .450" Nominally it is .454" Depends on the reamer.

Less body taper can effect the useable capacity fairly significantly.
Comparing 30 degree to 40 degree shoulder angles is deceptive.

Is the 22 CM standardized ?
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/18/18
A fast twist 22-250 is my truck gun or an AR, depending on my mood. Both are great for hogs, yotes, and deer.

You definitely have lots of great choices. Fast twist 22s, 243, 6mm Rem or CM, 6.5 CM, 260, and many others.

If deer make up 50% or more of the intended use, I would lean hard towards the 25-06. I have a #1 stainless varminter with a 26" barrel that I love. I would use it with zero hesitation for what you want. 25-06 is made for that and is no slouch for a deer only setup. You will not be disappointed in a 25-06 but get at least a 24 inch barrel. Theybare just loud with less. If you want less, consider a different cartridge.
I had this discussion with myself when I had my first custom built. I selected the .240 Weatherby, but I had always wanted one. Its definately built to carry, although it is not Kimber light, more of a standard weight, with a good barrel and 27" long to try and wring out a bit more speed. Its been a great rifle. I would suspect that you could build a great carry rifle with a 24 or 26" barrel and a good stock that will meet all of your needs. Its a great caliber. I bought another one since then when Cabelas had the Accuguard on sale, and it is a great rifle as well.
Posted By: hanco Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/18/18
A 270 wouldn’t be a bad choice.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by Oakster
I had this discussion with myself when I had my first custom built. I selected the .240 Weatherby, but I had always wanted one. Its definately built to carry, although it is not Kimber light, more of a standard weight, with a good barrel and 27" long to try and wring out a bit more speed. Its been a great rifle. I would suspect that you could build a great carry rifle with a 24 or 26" barrel and a good stock that will meet all of your needs. Its a great caliber. I bought another one since then when Cabelas had the Accuguard on sale, and it is a great rifle as well.

Good call on the 240 WBY. A WBY UL in 240 WBY or 25-06 is a sweet handling dual purpose setup. Those rifles are sweet. Like you said, not Kimber light but very handy. Might be a bit better than the Kimber if someone was concerned about a rifle being too light.
I really can't see an advantage to the 22-250 (AI'd or not) over a 243 win. I have both and load for both and I'm just not seeing it.
Most perfect? Coyote and deer?

Hmmm. It’d be 5.56 to 6.5 in caliber. Case capacity in the 40 to 55ish range. ROT at 8 or so. I think it be barreled 20-22 inches.

It’d weigh about 7#’s or so ready to go and loaded.

I’d have a glass stock fitted as well as some nice walnut. If not around the salt regularly, then rust blued cro mo. If so, stainless.
So what the OP is saying is he needs either a 6mm Rem or a 257 Roberts. Every body knows that anything x57 makes it instantly classy.
Originally Posted by bludog
I really can't see an advantage to the 22-250 (AI'd or not) over a 243 win. I have both and load for both and I'm just not seeing it.

I can for coyotes. Run the numbers on a 75 ELD at 3450 fps vs any .243 load. Out to 600 yards, a 95 TMK at 3200 or a 105 Berger at 3000 both lose in drop, and windage is basically a wash between all three- I doubt many coyotes are taken much further than 600 yards. And if you want to compare shorter range barn burners, the 55 NBT at 4000 and a little change loses again to a 40 NBT at 4400+. (These numbers would be for the AI.)

I've never used a 22-250 on anything bigger than a coyote, but lots of members here who I trust to not be full of [bleep] have no problems with .223's and 22-250's on deer. Although I probably wouldn't try it with either of the two loads I previously mentioned...
Add one more vote for 25-06.

Having said that, let me just add that 30-06 does a really handy job on both.

This, since Kentucky deer can get pretty big (so I hear, anyway). You have bears too, right?
I had Norene firearms out of Montana build 3 AR-1O`s in 243 Winchester with I believe 1-10 twist,24 inch barrels, so these rifles would shoot 70 grain BT Noslers all 3 of these rifles shoot excellent. as a dealer I sold 2 and kept one. the reason I decided on 243 is ammo is easy to find in any store if I run out. its nice 2 have a little faster fire power on coyotes sometimes if you get chance at more than one or miss these rifles have work very well too.good luck with your choice,Pete53
Posted By: atse Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/20/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348

This, since Kentucky deer can get pretty big (so I hear, anyway). You have bears too, right?

The 105s aren't so much needed to kill deer per say, but work really well, if you are shooting past 400 yds, on targets, or hair. They really buck the wind well, and kill extreme!y quickly. If you only have a 9 or 10 twist barrel, just load 95 grain nosler BT and call it good. Most of the bears I killed with the 243 were with 70 nosler BT and yes they worked quite well.

Lots of things would work. Not sure you need a cartridge on the '06-length case, but it wouldn't be wrong. In factory cartridges, I'd look at the 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, any of the 6.5's (especially the Grendel), the 6.8 SPC, the 7x57, 7-08, the 300 BLK (if you might ever run a can), the 300 Savage, 308 Winchester, etc. Sky's the limit with wildcats.

As for the rifle, I'd look really hard at a 22" Kimber Montana with a 2.5-8x Leupold.

Okie John
6 creedmoor, 7.7 twist and stock up on H4350 and 105 grain hybrids....
Originally Posted by seven_miller
Originally Posted by bludog

I can for coyotes. Run the numbers on a 75 ELD at 3450 fps vs any .243 load. Out to 600 yards, a 95 TMK at 3200 or a 105 Berger at 3000 both lose in drop, and windage is basically a wash between all three- I doubt many coyotes are taken much further than 600 yards. And if you want to compare shorter range barn burners, the 55 NBT at 4000 and a little change loses again to a 40 NBT at 4400+. (These numbers would be for the AI.)

I've never used a 22-250 on anything bigger than a coyote, but lots of members here who I trust to not be full of [bleep] have no problems with .223's and 22-250's on deer. Although I probably wouldn't try it with either of the two loads I previously mentioned...

OK, I guess I wasn't really considering coyotes at 600 yds, But, I'll definitely concede that one to you. I guess, for my uses, and in my experience, I prefer a 243. But I know there are plenty here who use and like the 22-250. Both will work. Thanks for pointing that out.
Originally Posted by southtexas
257 Roberts (assuming that you hand-load). Pre64 M70 action, custom barrel of your choice, Micky stock.

^^THIS^^..... Mine's a fauxTI. Great choice but truth is a 243 will do the same with some advantages over the 25cal.
Posted By: micky Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/21/18
If you are going to build an AR for this, the new 224 Valkyrie might be appealing.
Barrett Fieldcraft in 6mm Creed with a SWFA SS 3-9x42 or NF SHV 3-10x42
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
6 creedmoor, 7.7 twist and stock up on H4350 and 105 grain hybrids....

Good call....;)
I'd size it for deer and out of the 22's or 6mm I'd pick the 6mm. The 6 Creedmoor would get my pick over the 243 for it's ease of loading long bullets in a short action magazine, something the 243 is challenged with. I have a 6 creedmoor barrel coming that's going to be a 7 twist so I can shoot the 115 DTAC and the new 110 matchking.

I shoot coyotes with whatever I have in my hand at the time. I've shot them with just about everything other than a 22 rimfire and never had one take a step. They die easy so I wouldn't worry about a "best" coyote rifle, it's whatever you hit them with.
I know that a Creed is always the answer.... So please, Please, PLEASE don't tell anybody how amazing the 25-06 is with 100r NBT's & RL19 on the very game you asked about.
Our deer aren't huge....bucks will weigh 150-200# dressed out. There are heavier bucks but they aren't extremely common.

A fast twist 22 centerfire will do what you are wanting to do. I've killed lots of bucks, and does, with the 223, 223AI, 22-250, 22-250AI, 243, 243AI, 25-06AI. Killed them with berger vld's, nbt's, Amax's, tsx's, Vmax's, scirocco II's. Favorite is probably the 223AI with 62TSX's and farthest kill on deer was just over 450yd's with that combo. I think it was 4 deer killed over 400yds with the 25-06AI and none died any faster than the one with the 223AI/tsx did. The 1-8"tw 22-250AI is a good one, but I'd still go 223AI if forced to choose. Deer just aren't that tough. Good luck in your search.
How about the 25 creed with 100 grain NBT’s
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/25/18
Originally Posted by 25creedmoor
How about the 25 creed with 100 grain NBT’s

Great call splitting the difference between a 6 and 6.5 both being better that what you're talking about
Well, I get 3,350 FPS with that bullet and Lapua brass

Or if ya want 3,200 with the Berger 115

And they both kill very, very well.

Plus it duplicates 25-06 velocities in a short action. But don’t mind me ——-
I took the time to read more of the post than the header now, so here goes. The 6mm CM would get the nod from a practical standpoint. It'll come with a fast twist barrel from the factory, fitting ammo loaded with long bullets in a 2.8" mag is no problem, and factory ammo should be really easy to come by. It makes a lot of sense as a dual purpose cartridge. Well...as much sense as dual purpose cartridges ever made, really.

The 25-06 makes a solid choice as well, for a few reasons. First would be the availability of used rifles. Let somebody else eat the depreciation. Second, at least mine works great with necked down 270 brass. This is fairly easy to get for free. Lastly, the .25s are out of fashion, have been for some time, and probably won't be making a comeback. That makes people that own them happy little iconoclasts. That last one could just be me, though.

Now if you're going to go with a full on, genuwine, kustom rifle, how about resurrecting an oldie but a goody 6mm? I'm talking about the 244 belted rimless magnum. H&H introduced it back in 1955. Someone in the company thought a necked down full length magnum case would work great with 100 gr bullets. Put a slow twist barrel on the thing, use the super-slow powder of your choice, and buck that short action trend.
Here is my solution to same requirements for KY White tails, coyotes, and other targets of opportunity around the farm...

[Linked Image]

> LH Rem 700 KS barreled action - because I had it
> .270 - because if I didn't reload, I could find ammo anywhere. And, it doesn't kick as much as a .30-06. Yes, I am becoming a recoil puzzy in my old age.
> Pacific Research Rimrock stock - Because I like the ergos.
> HS Precision Gen1 DBM - I do not carry a loaded rifle with me on a regular basis. The DBM makes it easy to grab a rifle out of the gun case and insert the magazine while headed to the back door.
> Leupold 2.5x8x36 - Zero rounds on game with a variable scope dialed above 6x. The 8x is overkill for me. German #4 to make it easier on the old eyes.
> 7lbs 6oz as shown. Can get down to 7lbs if I swap aluminum BDL bottom metal in place of the HS unit and mag.

Have killed a couple truck loads of KY WT's with a .243. Nothing wrong with .243's. Still have several. But I can dial a .270 down to 6.5 CM recoil levels, or dial it up to full-on elk medicine. This is what I built for the quarry you listed above in Pendleton County, KY. And, if I decide to go back to Colorado to elk hunt again, it fits that bill as well...
Posted By: GregW Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/26/18

Thanks for the laugh!
GFY
Classy way to introduce yourself to the forum.
I felt like my honesty had been attacked.

Don’t much cotton t being called a liar.
then this ain't the place for you......
Late to the party, but I'd put together an 8" twist or faster 6 Creedmoor or 6x47.
Posted By: GregW Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/27/18
Does the 6.5 Creed duplicate 6.5-06 speeds in a short action?

Nah, but that's not it's point...
I felt like my honesty had been attacked.

Don’t much cotton t being called a liar.

The 25 Creed would a case capacity close to the 250 Savage, right? Which would be less than the 25 Souper, or the 257 Roberts, And, yet it is equivalent to the 25/06?
You fellas haven’t experimented with the lapua brass with the small primer pockets, have you?
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I believe you are correct, Sir.

My friends and I still value honesty and integrity.. I thought this was a place where those virtues were held in high esteem, perhaps I was mistaken.
Posted By: 222ND Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/27/18
I’ve got a sako l579 with a custom 8 twist 26” barrel with close to the exact contour of the factory barrel. I’ve used it primarily for coyotes and deer with a few antelope also. Shoots a 95 Berger at 3185. I could not hope to improve on this except with a little better case design like a 6 crredmoor. I’ve got about 1100 rounds through it and it still shoots good. As a side note, my chamber is tight and after about 4 loads on a case the case needs to be inside neck reamed. This probably wouldn’t be an issue a 6 creedmoor case. Also the 95 vld is not to bad on coyote pelts if that is of concern.
Posted By: szihn Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/27/18
I tried to make one rifle fill both bills well, but I gave up a long time ago. Back in the late 80s and early 90s good coyotes hides sold for as much as $80 per hide average and you could not blow big holes in them if you shoot for money. I got a 222 Rem (SAKO rifle) and never looked back.

Deer were killed with all kinds of rifles, but my "hide gun" was my 222. None of my "Deer/elk rifles did as well for hide hunting except for one that I will tell you about shortly.

I shot enough coyotes in 4 months of 1988 to pay for a 2 year old Toyota Land Cruiser in like new condition, with a brush guard, winch and a few extra goodies, and I paid in full, in cash.
If I had shot those coyotes with my 243, 257 Roberts, 7X57, 270, 30-30, 30-06, 308s or 35 Remington I am sure I would have made about 1/3 or maybe 40% as much.

The only other rifle I ever used that did real well on coyotes for hide money is one that might surprise many. It was my 375H&H shooting 300 grain solids. It dropped them and never tore up a hide, but the bullets cost enough that you didn't want to miss much. Even reloaded ammo was a bit pricey. I have to say it was excellent, but no better on the hides then my 222, and the 222 cost WAY less to shoot.
But for a "one rifle for everything" (if there is such a thing) I think the 375H&H was the closest thing I ever found.

It's a long ways from what most men think of as a coyote/deer gun.
Something in 6mm
Posted By: Boxer Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/27/18

And they both kill very, very well.

Besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Congratulations?!?

Now in fairness...southtexas is as Stupid as you,which is impressive upon multiple levels,none of which you Drooling Dumbfhuqks could begin to understand. Hint.

In a nutshell,the Kreedmire is farrrrrr closer to a 22-250AI/250AI parent,than it is a 22-250/250,as case capacity goes. It happens to boast some of the best brass in da' bidness (Alpha) and small primer pockets don't do anything,other than mandate a firing pin hole bushing job and a turned pin...of which I have more than a bunch. Understatement. Hint.

I get it,that you are another Cross-eyed Drooling Dumbfhuqk and Humor Points are awarded wellllllll in advance,for the confession that you are a Texan. Laffin'!

Anywhoo,as nice as the Kreedmire's mechanical aspects are,it will NEVER in a million fhuqking years,run with a Twat-Six,due the substantial difference in case capacity. Can't/won't/don't,none of which is subjective,though I do enjoy your Day Dreaming Bullschit. Hint.

1000 words beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Hint. Google it. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Drivin' Virgin false shoulders to form 260AI's in a 8" 24" Hart. Nice place to be,but it assuredly do NOT run with my 1-8" 6.5-06,with ANY boolit,up to an including 147's in beautifully formed cases. That no matter the primer or flash hole sizing,whether it Alpha or Lapooey. Hint.

Not that you could ID a S/A from a L/A. Hint. laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If only because Clueless Fhuqks crack me up and I getta kick outta their Imagination and Pretend,I'm rather at ease in extrapolatin' relative case capacities and their performance. Pardon my shooting a "smidge" and being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

No thang,to tote a couple/few rifles of like bore sizing,that just "happen" to differ in case capacity and note the difference(s) in their performance,due them differences. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. Laffin'!

At like(sane) pressures,the 270 on the far left,don't/won't/can't run with a Twat-Six on far right of frame...let alone Kreedmire(4th from left,because you'd never find it without concise directions). The 6 Grendel will outpace it a CH,the 6BR has a leg up on the Grendel and on it goes in succession. 270,6BR,6 Grendel,6 Kreedmire,243Win SALAMI,243Win Aye-Eye,6-284 and 6 Twat-Six. Mainly Hornie 105 HPBT's,though there's a 105 'Max and a 108 ELD in the fray. Hint.

[Linked Image]

All 1-8" or faster. Bart',Brux,PN,X-Caliber,Criterion,ARP...though in fairness,I've a buncha' others. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Now coming full circle and talking S/A 25-06 performance dupe,I can only speak to (3) 25-284's in the larder...though in fairness,I prolly shoot some Bob,Better Bob,25-06AI and 257Wby too. Hint. Why does the 25-284 dupe 25-06 performance? Is it because of primer sizing or flash hole diameter? Not no,but fhuqk NO. It's due simply to like case capacity,making like velocity,at like pressures. Re-hint. Same goes the 6-284 and the 6 Twat-Six extrapolation,for like reason(s). Re-re-hint.

To make your Delusional Fhuqking Fantasies even funnier,dangle some pics of your Pipe Dream,note the particulars of same(twist,throat,COAL,mounts,glass,barrel make/type/length),because it WILL be funnier than fhuqk if you are STUPID enough to "try". Hint.

Back to the REAL World,there are multiple routes that'll reliably arrange splendor,in both .224" and .243" bore sizing. A .257" of like capacity,simply cain't hang,because of the stellar projectiles on both sides of it's bore sizing and none available to it. A 243 will stomp a 25-06,as will a 6 Kreedmire,if only because I shoot them all and then some. The Berger .257" 115's .483 BC is very easy to trump. Hint.

I'm rather at ease with a 1-8" or better 223AI squirtin' 75 ELD .467BC Smooches at 3150fps from a 21" Lever' fueled spout(have 'em in 7,8,9,10,12 and 14" for conversation). Same goes 8" RPM 20" 22 Grendel Krunchenticker ASC fed Smooches with same,at like speed. My SALAMI 1-7" Rock 22-250 scoots 'em at 3300fps,from a 21" spout. My 22-250 Aye-Eye's launch 'em at 3450fps in my 7" RPM 23" Krieger and 3500fps on the nose in my 24" Hart. Starting from scratch and backing up a coupla hunnert rifles,I'd go 22 Kreedmire on a .473" Donor and reap the Alpha splendor at 1-7".Wouldn't change a thang,upon a .378" Donor and rock 223AI.

In .243",I'm more than "comfy" with a 270 in either 7 or 8" RPM(have both) and groove upon their 18" and 19" spouts respectively. An 8" RPM 20" 6 Grendel feeding 108 ELD magfed ASC Smooches,will reliably fhuqk with heads and I've only got a couple of them. Tough to whoop a 6BR whether in 7 or 8" RPM(have both) and I'll happily trade FPS away,to reap it's incredible Accuracy,Precision and Consistency. The 6 XC ain't horrid,but mechanically,I prefer the Kreedmire...though one can use Alpha Kreedmire Virgins to eek same(have only shot 'em in 7 and 8" RPM). The 6 Kreedmire is a nice way to fly,but I only have 'em in 7 and 8" RPM,both slated to 108 ELD's and their .536BC at 3050fps. No flies on a 243Win SALAMI,as I prolly have a few of them too(grin). The 243AI is a nice way to fly,though none of mine are faster than 8". The 6mm Rem and 6mm Rem Aye-Eye are EPIC pieces of fhuqking schit BT/DT and have all the T-shirts. The 6-284 is fairly fabulous,but starts taxing a S/A purty good in COAL latitude,even when fed with binderless AICS mags...which I of course do. Have 'em in 8 and 9" RPM...with 8" being where it's at. I'd mebbe say sumptin' about a 23" Montucky 8" RPM Brux contour dupe,wearing a shorter shoulder in Twat-Six and 105's at 3350fps with 105's,but it's a L/A. Ooops. Hint. Laffin'!

Disregard the 110 Sugar Smooch in the 6BR,despite it's .617BC billing. Never could accrue anything nearing "faith" in a Sugar of any ilk,when it comes to non-CNS Terminal Effects. My 7" shoots 'em purty happily,yet shy of 108 ELD magnitude,so their an easy pass...though a Quarterbore KILLER. Hint. Google it. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Always a fhuqking HOOT...when yet another Clueless Lying Fhuqk shows up,to talk out her ass...you are doing "great"!

Bless your heart.

GOOD talk.

Laffin'!

Wow +P++!
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I believe you are correct, Sir.

My friends and I still value honesty and integrity.. I thought this was a place where those virtues were held in high esteem, perhaps I was mistaken.

Did you realize that this is an internet forum?

While the 24HCF isn't a black hole of virtues, the anonymity of the keyboard tends to bring out the worst attributes of loutishness in some people.

However, most of us have been called worse things by better people, so if you take the personal attacks with a grain of NaCl and take them for what they are worth you'll be OK.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Coyotes/Deer. Your thoughts? - 02/27/18
You fellas haven’t experimented with the lapua brass with the small primer pockets, have you?

Small rifle primers are usually good for another 200fps.
25C: well you’ve now seen the worst that this forum has to offer, in the form of Boxer. If you can ignor him, as most of us do, you will do fine here.

Larry: it’s good to see that your interpersonal skills are at least consistent.
Guess I’ll give this another try..

I have a number of SPF actions, yes they are a Rem clone, however, they have an .068 firing pin. So when running higher pressure loads the primers won’t pucker or pierce as easily. Also using CCI 450’s which seem to resist pressures better than many others. The 6.5 creed LAPUA brass with the small pocket has more brass supporting the case head and resists case head expansion better than any domestic brass I’ve ever used.

My 25 has a. Bartlein barrel. Perhaps it’s a “fast” barrel but the velocities reported are accurate.
I have worked with 6mm versions enough to have a considerable data base to compare its performance with the .25.. both are great cartridges. I absolutely do not recommend any loads or pushing the envelope, I’m just reporting what I’ve done.

Boxer may have a different opinion
Guess I’ll give this another try..

I have a number of SPF actions, yes they are a Rem clone, however, they have an .068 firing pin. So when running higher pressure loads the primers won’t pucker or pierce as easily. Also using CCI 450’s which seem to resist pressures better than many others. The 6.5 creed LAPUA brass with the small pocket has more brass supporting the case head and resists case head expansion better than any domestic brass I’ve ever used.

My 25 has a. Bartlein barrel. Perhaps it’s a “fast” barrel but the velocities reported are accurate.
I have worked with 6mm versions enough to have a considerable data base to compare its performance with the .25.. both are great cartridges. I absolutely do not recommend any loads or pushing the envelope, I’m just reporting what I’ve done.

Boxer may have a different opinion

If you’re running 25-06 velocities from a Creedmoor sized case, you are running very high pressure. No way around simple physics. Just because your setup doesn’t show pressure signs, doesn’t make it safer.
Agreed
© 24hourcampfire