Home
Posted By: Holston Pricing a custom to sale - 03/05/18
Any tips?

I've searched classifieds that have sold and things seem to be all over the map.

Just curious on where to start pricing.

Thanks
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/05/18
Start over what you want to get for it. Then slowly keep coming down bit by bit until you get a buyer. In addition, if you start over what you really want for it you can take an offer for a lower price. People always like to get a lower price than the asking price.
Take what it cost you and subtract 25%. You won't ever get what you put into it. JMO.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/05/18
what are you trying to sell.....
Posted By: mudhen Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/05/18
The problem with selling custom rifles is that the value is whatever someone is willing to pay. Most of the time, that ends up being + or - 50% of what it cost to build it, but customs by well-known makers do sometimes appreciate in value. As 22wrf said, start with what you want to get for it and see where you end up.
Posted By: Judman Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/05/18
Originally Posted by mudhen
The problem with selling custom rifles is that the value is whatever someone is willing to pay. Most of the time, that ends up being + or - 50% of what it cost to build it, but customs by well-known makers do sometimes appreciate in value. As 22wrf said, start with what you want to get for it and see where you end up.

Yes it’ll make you sick.... I build for specific applications/uses anymore and don’t plan on selling them for this reason..
Posted By: 30338 Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/05/18
Never sell, just rebarrel customs.
Posted By: Holston Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/05/18
Thanks, sounds like I was in the ballpark on what I was figuring.
Posted By: Holston Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/05/18
Originally Posted by gene270
what are you trying to sell.....

.223 AI, but it will be a while, going to get a stock issue taken care of first.
I think the 50% +/- is the more realistic scenario, unless built by a big name custom 'smith or a vintage classic like a Griffin & Howe.
Originally Posted by 30338
Never sell, just rebarrel customs.

Best advice on this thread.
Holston If your custom is classic blued steel over real wood I may be able to give a value range on it if it is made by a well known custom builder. Sorry. I don't do plastic. PM me.
Posted By: Holston Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/08/18
Plastic unfortunately, and I’m just trying to help a buddy price it.

Built locally, would probably be a hard sell on here due to having a slow(1/12”) twist.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/08/18
A guideline I use is price it at the cost of the parts, less if the chambering/twist/ number of shots makes the barrel of dubious value. Then price it at the value of the stock and the action.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/09/18
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I think the 50% +/- is the more realistic scenario, unless built by a big name custom 'smith or a vintage classic like a Griffin & Howe.

Yup, not even the Chosen People can make money selling their used custom rifles.

On the other hand, they can be great buying opportunities for the rest of us.
Posted By: okie john Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/09/18
All of this is pretty bad news, but it's true in general. Unfortunately, the market for custom long guns is unusually soft right now, so that makes things even worse.

Okie John
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Pricing a custom to sale - 03/16/18
That guy on TV from Field and Stream magazine said that custom rifles without fancy wood stocks are not a good investment.

Sounds like jewelry to me.

I am not in the gun biz, and I am trying to build myself only synthetic stock rifles.

Guns appreciate at 3% per year compounded [background inflation like Gold and guitars]
© 24hourcampfire