Home
Posted By: mtnman1 New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Have been a fan of 7mm anything and decided I needed a mashburn, wanted a match to my 338 winny on a kimber Montana, so put together this Kevin Weaver built 7 Mashburn on a kimber Montana. Barrel is a #3 contour 9 twist.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Very sharp.. Great caliber too..
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Stock is hydro dipped with custom Weaver alum. trigger guard and black swivel studs.
Posted By: SKane Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
That turned out quite well!

What do you plan on feeding it?
175 partitions are on the docket for elk and high country mulies
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Excuse my non Elk hunting question, why not 160’s?
Posted By: gerry35 Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Gorgeous gun, the Mashburn Mafia on here will be most pleased with that rifle cool
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Excuse my non Elk hunting question, why not 160’s?

Will let the rig decide but my 7 mag likes the 175’s so will be starting there first and working backwards. Something about a 175 @ almost 3100fps that tends to make big critters weak in the knees.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Nicely done.
How are you liking the Meopta?
Posted By: rflshtr Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Kevin Weaver builds great rifles. Are you sure the 9 twist is enough for the 175 grain bullets? I am planning one with an 8 twist since I was concerned about stability with the 9 twist.
Posted By: 325Abn Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Beautiful rifle there!

Kevin's semi-local to me and i've seen other examples of his work - skilled artisan there....

In 7mm caliber 1-8.5 is the sweet spot for me. I'd not shoot heavier than 175grs and they'd be nicely stabilized at 1-8.5.
Posted By: Judman Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
That's a dandy Dale.
Posted By: RGK Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Nice one...gotta let me fondle it next time we hook up at Cabela's.
Bob
Have run long 180's in a 1 in 8.5 and heard of others running 190s so will see how the 175s do in the 1 in 9. Haven't tried it yet, in this rig but have a strong suspicion that they'll be fine. If not there are plenty of 160 to 168s to be had. Just got it all together and got some loads prepped so will see this weekend. As to the Meopta, Ive had good luck with a couple of others and had this one on the shelf. Glass is extremely good and the other two have been consistently repeatable. Becoming a fan based on small samples that I've tried.
Posted By: beretzs Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Have run long 180's in a 1 in 8.5 and heard of others running 190s so will see how the 175s do in the 1 in 9. Haven't tried it yet, in this rig but have a strong suspicion that they'll be fine. If not there are plenty of 160 to 168s to be had. Just got it all together and got some loads prepped so will see this weekend. As to the Meopta, Ive had good luck with a couple of others and had this one on the shelf. Glass is extremely good and the other two have been consistently repeatable. Becoming a fan based on small samples that I've tried.

Beautiful rifle for one. I also have a 7mm Mashburn Super built by Kevin. He is pretty much my one stop shop anymore for my rifle work.

You'll have 0 issues with a 175 bullet. I think even the long 175 Nosler ABLR will work just fine. I am running 175 Woodleighs and BBC's in mine. My current one is a 8 twist but my old one was a 9.5 that worked fine as well.

Not sure which case you're using but I have found RWS and WW cases worth the effort. Strong as all get out and just form up real nice.
Have a bunch of WW brass on hand and some forming and final load data from Bob before we lost him. Expect it to be pretty simple to get to the punchline. Love my 7 mag and expect this to be more of the same but better. Really pleased with the hydrodip. Looks as good as I coulda asked for.
Posted By: beretzs Re: New Mashburn - 03/06/18
If you need any data I’ve got let me know. Always willing to help out a fellow Mashburn Super shooter.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: New Mashburn - 03/07/18
Thanks! Much appreciated
Posted By: efw Re: New Mashburn - 03/09/18
Really cool rifle man I like it; Action & cartridge are perfect & that hydro dip is darn near exhibition grade wink !
Posted By: Switch Re: New Mashburn - 03/10/18
Who did the hydro dip? Love it. Contact info for Kevin Weaver?
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: New Mashburn - 03/10/18
Northwest Hydroprint did the dip.

Kevin Weaver

Posted By: Switch Re: New Mashburn - 03/11/18
Thanks
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: New Mashburn - 03/11/18
Beautiful rifle. I'm also a fan of the Nosler 175 grain Partition, they have worked great for me. I used them in two 7mm RM with a 9-inch twist. They make critters go down and die.
I'm also thinking about another "7" might be one like yours or, a -28-. I should go ahead and get a barrel headed my way.
Thanks for your post.
Take care
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: New Mashburn - 03/11/18
Kevin had done 2 Kimbers for me so far. Great craftsman!
Posted By: beretzs Re: New Mashburn - 03/11/18
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Kevin had done 2 Kimbers for me so far. Great craftsman!

Yes sir. Here’s the MSM Kevin did for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BIGR Re: New Mashburn - 03/11/18
Nice rifle beretzs, is that some type of Cerokote finish that he did?
Thank you

Yep, it’s a Midnight Blue Cerrakote on the metal. Turned out pretty decent.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: New Mashburn - 03/11/18
Let's tamp down this Kevin Weaver talk until AFTER all my parts get to him!

Kevin is an exceptional craftsman!
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

What parts are you waiting on Joel?
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: New Mashburn - 03/11/18
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

What parts are you waiting on Joel?

Scotty I can't wait for everything to come in!

Borden CM Timberline Magnum (ordered 12 Dec)
Jim Borden is going to install / time a Trigger Tech trigger / use a Wyatt's magazine
Krieger CM #2, 7 mm, 8 twist (ordered 8 Dec)
Dakota CM BDL style bottom metal (Kevin has on hand)
Initially an Echols Shrike stock (ordered before 8 Dec, I don't remember the exact date, I called D'Arcy)

I'm still debating Win style Super Grade swivel studs and Talley Peep / Hooded front sight. I will use Talley fixed bases / screw lock rings. Probably a Leupold 6x36 LRD. I'm thinking it's going to weigh about 6.5 lbs bare, about 7.25 lbs with scope. She might be snappy off the bench!

I'm thinking I'm going to have Kevin make a Wilson Seater Die, I have a 7mm Wilson Seater blank.

Then next winter I'm going to get a wood stock made, already have the blank, got it from Roger Vardy.
© 24hourcampfire