Home
Posted By: avfromvt 03 custom - 03/18/18
So i dont have an 03 and always wanted one (minus the safety which doesn't clear any scope ever made). Found this one locally and was told this was a griffin and howe stocked customized rifle (not sure on stock maker). No caliber marking until i pulled it out if the stock and it was marked under the barrel (flusststhal krupp essen barrel 270 cal) . Interesting rifle beautiful stock with metal grip and butt, canjar trigger, G&H side mount quick detach scope base and really nice fit and finish overall. Thought i would share

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 03 custom - 03/18/18
Wow... Very , very nice!!!
Posted By: sbrmike Re: 03 custom - 03/18/18
Nice looking piece. I have a beater Rem M1903.
Posted By: ismith Re: 03 custom - 03/18/18
Looks like a John Hutton stock.
Posted By: avfromvt Re: 03 custom - 03/18/18
researching last night i could see the gun being sent to G&H for the stock and side mount. Not sure about the barrel work otherwise why wouldn't they stamp it with there mark. I need to get the safety converted at some point does anyone have any recommendations of someone good that could convert it to either a lower wing or winchester type safety.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: 03 custom - 03/18/18
Ed La Pour makes a great M/70 style safety, I have one on my custom Springfield 1922 M2.
Posted By: Jkob Re: 03 custom - 03/19/18
Ed Lapour is presently out of stock on those three position ones. You could convert that to a two position one.
Posted By: ctw Re: 03 custom - 03/19/18
Any chance we could get a picture of the mount? Particularly the base.
Posted By: avfromvt Re: 03 custom - 03/19/18
After a little research i think i am going to switch the safety out even with higher rings clearance is going to be an issue. The base is a dovetailed rail the quick detach side mount slides into.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ctw Re: 03 custom - 03/19/18
Sure looks like it was done at G&H .

I read somewhere that a Winchester 70 safety could be fit to the 03 ?
Posted By: mequirky Re: 03 custom - 03/20/18
Give Pam and Doug Fincher a call. He did my Mauser safety for me and does great work, 936/275-9042.
Posted By: efw Re: 03 custom - 03/22/18
I had a Chapman/Wisner Model 70-style two-position safety available through Brownells installed on my custom 03-A3 in 6.5-06 & had custom S&Ks fitted which really set it off beautifully.

That really is some specimens you have there congrats and thanks for sharing I’m turning green here... just gorgeous!
Posted By: avfromvt Re: 03 custom - 03/22/18
Found a local smith who i felt was competent to do the buehler style safety conversion. Will post some pics when i get it back and put some glass on it.
© 24hourcampfire