Home
Posted By: ilikeguns 270-250 sav or 6.8-250 sav? - 04/29/18
I was looking at my excess brass and wondering if there were such a caliber out there as the 6.8-250 or 270 -250. and what it would be called?. the 6.8 spc is a neat cartridge as is the 250 savage but what if the 250 savage were to be necked up to the 277 bullets, ran a 8 or 9 twist and could run lets say 80s to 130s grain bullets. I think it would be a neat cartridge. if anybody has any info, a name or even have one of these I would like to hear about it thanks

ackley's book listed some of those... 250 Savage necked up to 270...

along with the 257 Roberts necked to 270....

that was from back in the 1950s....

to me the logical 'wildcat' would just be using the 308 case instead...
aka 270 Redding...
sounds like a good idea,just don't go crazy and make it a gaymoore!
I know there was a 270 savage but that was off the 300 savage case.
Sorry, Can't help you with personal experience but if you decide to do it, first consider making your .250 savage brass look like the .250 savage AI...then neck it up to .270 caliber. This should come close to the 7-08 in performance.....and that's not bad at all.

You will have something unique and perfectly functional for deer and even elk hunting.
Originally Posted by vapodog
Sorry, Can't help you with personal experience but if you decide to do it, first consider making your .250 savage brass look like the .250 savage AI...then neck it up to .270 caliber. This should come close to the 7-08 in performance.....and that's not bad at all.

You will have something unique and perfectly functional for deer and even elk hunting.

That's a pretty good idea.
Originally Posted by Seafire

ackley's book listed some of those... 250 Savage necked up to 270...

along with the 257 Roberts necked to 270....

that was from back in the 1950s....

to me the logical 'wildcat' would just be using the 308 case instead...
aka 270 Redding...

What velocity with a 130 grain bullet would you expect it to give you John?
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
I know there was a 270 savage but that was off the 300 savage case.

I think that one was called the .270 Titus, it was supposedly designed for the 99 Savage. I think the .270 Redding would be smarter these days, with all that 7mm/08 brass you could neck down. Either way, it would be splitting hairs.
I have a bin with over 300 pieces 250 savage brass so brass isn't a problem...probably oughta just sell the brass and forget it lol
I have a bin with over 300 pieces 250 savage brass so brass isn't a problem...probably oughta just sell the brass and forget it lol

In fact....that just might be the very best (and at least most economical) answer.
Sell the brass and buy a used 270 Win.

Or a 7-08 or Creedmore...
have a 270 and don't like it and dont use, it accurate as all get out but don't use it, had a 7-08 and 6.5 creed and sold em because I wasn't impressed. currently have nula's in 223, 280ai, 338x284, and 450 marlin. was just pondering a gap bridger between the 223 and 280ai.
Some things just beg the question "WHY?"
why what? why the 6.8x250 savage? why I don't like a 270 win? why do I have that many nulas? please elaborate on the why you are reffering
I'd research getting dies BEFORE going any further! That will most likely shine some light on your path.
why what? why the 6.8x250 savage? why I don't like a 270 win? why do I have that many nulas? please elaborate on the why you are reffering

[Linked Image]

Because it's been done.
It seems like you are taking a long, hard road to get a 6.5 creedmoor.

I'm not bashing the project , but I don't see how going from .264 diameter bullets to .277 diameter bullets in the same weight class will make any difference in performance.
^^^^^THIS.
thanks armednfree, in my original post I asked if such a caliber was out there and what it would be called, I figured it had been done already so now I know what its called.

dude270 I think the creedmoor is about the most useless idea the ammo makers have bestowed upon us in a long time...a 260 rem or 260ai will do what the 6.5 creedmoor does and a 243 and 243ai will do what the 6 creedmoor does. I have had a 6.5 creedmoor is a Kimber mt ascent and wasn't impressed with any aspect of the cartridge. if I want a 6.5 cartridge id rather dig my 264wm out of the back of the safe.
Posted By: 280fan Re: 270-250 sav or 6.8-250 sav? - 04/30/18
The cartridge(s) you are describing were also covered in the article from Gun Digest Annual 1969 on page 140. Mr. Hood used a Powley Computer to come up with some tabbycat cartridges to use for meat guns as opposed to wildcat super boomers to shoot across canyons. Once again we're only about 50 or 60 years late to the party.

Wildcats & Tabbycats, Charles N. Hood, II
This is beyond CBHS, getting into ACDS territory.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 270-250 sav or 6.8-250 sav? - 04/30/18
What game and where do you hunt, distance/conditions?

The Kimber Mt. Ascent is designed as a lightweight/flyweight hunting rifle and may well fail to show the accuracy potential in the CM.

The virtues of this round are many. It will not impress those who enjoy, or tolerate heavier recoiling, louder blasting magnum class rounds.

Some folks as 280fan mentions, like modest rounds, others something that gives confidence, via that higher recoil, as perceived greater reach/lethality. Depends on the application....game and distance.

I've had 7 mags, 243s, 260s.....and many more smaller and larger. For 99% of MY use, I have no desire for a 7RM, or 264. That said, for the hunter who wants to grab a rifle, if it's accurate with the chosen ammo, a magnum like the 264 are very capable, IF the shooter does not flinch and pull shots off vitals. Some hunters do not practice enough, as I have witnessed their shooting skills. Many want to OVER-GUN thinking purely in paper statistics ie. 300 WM owners. Their owners for the most part have been less impressive in their shooting skill. I realize there are others who do well with heavier recoiling rounds and they do well.

In the end, all that really matters is putting a good bullet thru vitals. However one accomplishes that task, is subjective. I've smiled watching deer drop at 400 yds with a 6mm BR. THAT impressed me, just as having firing sub 1/2" group at 330 yds......from a Ruger #1 at that.

A Creedmoor is one of the most accurate factory cartridges and encourages practice and shot placement, due to mild recoil and blast. Ammo affordability for non-handloaders also helps.

Not much has not been tried by wildcatters, and the few that survive the test of time, after commercialization do so for a reason. The Creedmoor has been well vetted, based on that huge offering of ammo and arms by the industry.

A gent who has owned a plethora or rifles and cartridges, and taught me handloading decades ago, was an adamant 264 fan.......until the past few years. He leaves the 264 now, and chooses to use an H&R in 25-06 that had a trigger job. Less recoil, resulting in smaller groups for him increasing his confidence, and he hits and drops his deer clean on pipeline shots. So it is I think MANY of today's Creedmoor fans.......they want shootable rounds of high accuracy potential. An HONEST Survey of a large # of hunters, might give a telling story on hits/misses and recovered vs lost game. Many blame a cartridge then UPGRADE to a larger round compounding the #1 problem. Getting rounds on target...thru vitals.

If you have a great 264 and shoot it well - no reason to not use it. I admire it's performance, just personally not had the need I suppose, in how I hunt.
a 260 rem or 260ai will do what the 6.5 creedmoor does and a 243 and 243ai will do what the 6 creedmoor does

Not really. The real advantage a 6.5 or 6mm creed has over the 243 or 260 is the is the sharp shoulder angle. That is much easier to headspace to. Also the 260 rifles had too slow a twist, yes Remington screwed that up. Not as bad as the 244 Remington, but bad enough.
thanks armednfree, in my original post I asked if such a caliber was out there and what it would be called, I figured it had been done already so now I know what its called.

dude270 I think the creedmoor is about the most useless idea the ammo makers have bestowed upon us in a long time...a 260 rem or 260ai will do what the 6.5 creedmoor does and a 243 and 243ai will do what the 6 creedmoor does. I have had a 6.5 creedmoor is a Kimber mt ascent and wasn't impressed with any aspect of the cartridge. if I want a 6.5 cartridge id rather dig my 264wm out of the back of the safe.

What do you think will impress you about .277 caliber bullets coming out of the same parent case as a 6.5 creedmoor?
in my original post I simply asked if there were such a cartridge as a 6.8-250 savage or 270-250 savage and some info on it? we are at two pages now of opinions on how great other cartridges are or are not especially the creedmoor garbage. out of all this BS came one guy that could answer the question with a name of it and a couple with ways to where info could be found. this is why I hate posting about stuff is too many people value their own opinion on why "what you are doing or trying to do is wrong what they do is right" I never said I was building a rifle, I didn't ask for opinions on creedmoors or 308 based 270s. I don't know why everyone feels the need to give their opinion on stuff other than the what the post is about.
Conversations ramble this way and that, just roll with it and pay attention to or ignore different parts as you please.
So to clarify, you have an interest in a fast twist 6.8x250, which could launch HEAVIER bullets at slower speeds than a 308 case....all else equal.
Yet in 6.5 or 6mm, you prefer the 308 case. I get the brass thing, and you said you could sell them to fund another option.

Just trying to understand what factors impress you about a given round, since you "currently have nula's in 223, 280ai, 338x284, and 450 marlin."
Originally Posted by 65BR
So to clarify, you have an interest in a fast twist 6.8x250, which could launch HEAVIER bullets at slower speeds than a 308 case....all else equal.
Yet in 6.5 or 6mm, you prefer the 308 case. I get the brass thing, and you said you could sell them to fund another option.

Just trying to understand what factors impress you about a given round, since you "currently have nula's in 223, 280ai, 338x284, and 450 marlin."

Sound to me like he has a wondering mind. Kind of "what if" and a postulation. Inquiring minds want to know. I like that, those people I can enjoy talking to. Other wise I quickly find them to be a dullard.

The dullards talk about people.
The common talk about events.
The intelligent talk about ideas.
The 6.5 Creed is not really new. Slight alteration of a former wildcat. The 6.5 Redding S.A. Being clear, there is nothing you are going to do in this field that has not already been done. Slight differences, no meaningful differences.
If I had a surplus of .277 bullets and 250 Savage brass, I'd think about selling the bullets and set up a faster than standard twist 250 Savage barrel.
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Sound to me like he has a wondering mind. Kind of "what if" and a postulation. Inquiring minds want to know. I like that, those people I can enjoy talking to. Other wise I quickly find them to be a dullard.

Given your intelligence, Feel free to address my comments to the OP, FOR the OP. My inquiring mind wants to know.
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Given your intelligence, Feel free to address my comments to the OP, FOR the OP. My inquiring mind wants to know.

Actually I agree with you, both posts. Not much else to say. Other than the OP himself diverting from the original post. The point of conversation here is not a linear thing, it tends to take tangents. As long as it's not idiots taking stupid potshots at each other it's fine.
Nothing wrong with a .250 Savage....and a fast twist barrel.
Posted By: powdr Re: 270-250 sav or 6.8-250 sav? - 05/07/18
I have a friend in Wyoming doing this very thing. He's using the 250 Ackley Improved case and wants to shoot the 100-120gr 270 bullets. He's doing it on a Mauser and will do most all the work himself. powdr
Looneyism at its finest.
I was just searching for 270 Savage dies to put a barrel to use. I have a SR Mauser and a S/S fluted barrel threaded for a SR Mauser. I need dies before I decide what to do with it. The 270 Redding (308 case) could be too much pressure once the rifle leaves my hands (unless I put the barrel on a Turk action). 270 Savage and Titus use the 300 Savage case. 270 IHMSA uses the 300 Savage case. RD Reamer lists a 250 AIx270 reamer for rent. I have an acquaintance that will let me use his 270 IHMSA reamer. Like I said, all I need is reasonably priced dies to help me make my decision.

I plan to call it a 6.8 Creedless
Some people have too much time on their hands.
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Some people have too much time on their hands.

Or will execute all kinds of contortions to achieve somewhat sub-Creedmoor performance without having admit they "succumbed to the hype" and got a Creedmoor. grin
I plan to call it a 6.8 Creedless

Why shortchange the poor cartridge? If truly as useless as some say the obvious moniker is 6.8 Feckless.
270 Titus

[Linked Image]
Every conceivable gap has been filled to deth....but we like to tinker..a 270-250 savage would be sweet...I always thought the 270-308 would be nice too...before the 6.5 rage came on...there was a genuine gap between the 25s and the 270...but for good reason..the 257 Roberts and 25-06 were wonderful and if you wanted a little bigger the next step was to 270 -or 284..ya see we really didn't need anything in 6.5. Could have just settled for higher bc bullets in .257. But think how many guns and ammo have been sold due to the magic new cartridge ....
© 24hourcampfire