Home
Posted By: kingston GunWerks GRB action? - 06/21/18
Has anybody used one? At $850 and 27.5 oz. including either a one or two piece base, they look like a real bargain.

https://www.gunwerks.com/store/gun-parts/gunwerks-grb-action
Posted By: kingston Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/21/18
I just got of the phone with GunWerks and they’ll do a barreled action with the following specs for $1500 delivered.

GRB SA - $850
Proof Research, Stainless Steel, 5R, 6.5mm, Sendero Contour, fluted - $625
Shipping - $25
Posted By: Danny1788 Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/21/18
Ive built a few rifles with the GRB actions. For the price they are great actions, very smooth and fit and finish on the actions were very nice. They have dual cocking cams for the firing pin and this makes the bolt lift very smooth and light.
Posted By: Judman Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/21/18
Dunno about a carbon snout but the action looks like a solid deal..
Posted By: kingston Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/21/18
Originally Posted by Judman
Dunno about a carbon snout but the action looks like a solid deal..

That price is for a SS bbl. CF is $475 more.
Posted By: Higginez Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/21/18
Kind of a bummer they are using their own threads. Savage small shank or even Remington would have been a smart move.

The Bighorn Origin is cheaper and has a bunch more features I want in a custom action, although it won't be out until the end of summer.
Posted By: Boxer Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/21/18
Originally Posted by Higbean
Kind of a bummer they are using their own threads. Savage small shank or even Remington would have been a smart move.

The Bighorn Origin is cheaper and has a bunch more features I want in a custom action, although it won't be out until the end of summer.

Spot THE fhuqk on. It is an EPIC Goat Fhuqk to use a "proprietary" thread,on a 700 footprint,but is exceptionally fhuqking funny!

It'll come as a "surprise",only to THE Droolingest Of Fhuqks...that wrapped spouts do not come in S/S and fluted.

Laffin'!

The action is an easy pass.
Posted By: kingston Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by Boxer
Originally Posted by Higbean

Spot THE fhuqk on. It is an EPIC Goat Fhuqk to use a "proprietary" thread,on a 700 footprint,but is exceptionally fhuqking funny!

It'll come as a "surprise",only to THE Droolingest Of Fhuqks...that wrapped spouts do not come in S/S and fluted.

Laffin'!

The action is an easy pass.

Connecting the dots..
[Linked Image]

Hint...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/23/18
Hig, The Big horn and their barrel nut might just be the ticket.

I’ve got to figure out if there are any barrel contour limitations with the nut. I’m itching to use a McMillan I’ve got in hand, that looks to be inletted for an M24 contour. Long story, but I bought it described as inletted for a Shilen #7HV.
Posted By: Higginez Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/23/18
The A5 I grabbed cheap with a Sendero inlet had zero issues with the nut fwiw.
Can I get a contour as heavy as the M24 taper that’s compatible with the nut?
Criterion contours

– Sporter
– Heavy Sporter
– Lite Varmint
– Varmint
– MTU
– Bull Barrel

Shilen

– Sporter
– Heavy Sporter
– Varmint
– Bull Barrel
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/23/18
According to Stocky's, the proof carbon sendero is close. Read the 'note'.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/barrels.html
Thank you both. I saw the bit on Stockys re: Proof’s Sendero contour being close to M24, but didn’t really understand how it could be in the case of a Savage Pre-fit as the Sendero contour has a shoulder and the M24 is straight taper.

In looking at Criterion’s contour chart (copied below), it looks like Savage small shank max bbl. diameter is 1.0625”. An M24 contour starts with a 3” of 1.250” in diameter shank, then from 3” to 26” tapers down to 0.90”. Therefore, as I’m understanding it, even the heaviest contour small thread Savage barrel will be a little sloppy when dropped into an M24 barrel channel inlet. The resulting reveal would be particularly noticeable immediately after the nut.

Maybe I’m over thinking it, but it seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to use a stock I got a good deal on. This particular stock might be more trouble than its worth. We’ll see.

For reference:
[img]http://precisionrifleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/barrel-contour.png?w=645[/img]

[Linked Image]
Personally, I wouldn't care if it was particularly noticeable, as I would be the only one who would particularly notice. And wouldn't give a rat's ass as long as it was floated. But if someone that gave a rip was to particularly notice and it bothered him a bunch, I'd tell him to get his bedding stuff ready, and fill it the fugg in......
It’s a McSwirly, so a patch’n fill might bother me more. The NGAF thing is certainly an option—function before fashion and all.
I hope you never see the channel reveal on the ruger ultralite in a LSS. You'd probably keel over right there.....grin
That gun is straight up sexy.
You could always go shouldered.

Mine has a gap for a couple inches.

You might just barely be able to see it when shooting if you opened your left eye and focused it right there, but I haven't tried.
Yet another application for the DeerView Mirror.

[Linked Image]

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/deerview-mirror?a=308877
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/23/18
Aren’t these relabeled Stiller actions or do they actually make their own actions these days?
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/23/18
They are their own now.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: GunWerks GRB action? - 06/24/18
One can look and see....the only thing the GRB and Stiller have in common is there both stainless steel!
© 24hourcampfire