Home
As in the title, I'm in the process of fitting a High Tech/Basner/LAW stock to a Win. Mdl 70 in 300WM. I've got pillars on hand; should I use them or no? Reasons for or against?

Thanks all!
John
Pillars are never wrong.
Originally Posted by Brad
Pillars are never wrong.

Right!
Done. Pillars it is. Thank you, gentlemen.

John
Mark Bansner who builds the stocks has told me that aluminum pillars add nothing to his stocks. They are a good addition to a wood stock because wood will compress over time. The synthetic materials in the action area will not compress.
I have built enough of them, but I give up
https://www.brownells.com/manufacturers/high+tech+specialties/index.htm

They are too much work to get smooth and painted.

They already have what looks like a G10 pillar.
Mark has told me the same thing he told RinB, and in general pointed out that installing pillars in stocks that don't need 'em can cause more problems than they supposedly cure. He does it when installing stocks for customers who insist on pillars, but otherwise doesn't.

I've followed Mark's advice when installing several High Tech stocks on my rifles, and they've all shot very well without pillars.
I've done many HTS's and have never installed aluminum pillars. I have opened the action screw holes, marine tex'd pillars around pilot screws, then opened the mt pillars with a drill after cleanup. It has worked very well for me, especially when adding and ADL front adl guard screw bushing. It's a lot less trouble than it sounds like and results in perfect contact.
© 24hourcampfire