Home
Posted By: Higginez Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Is anyone building custom rifles anymore?

Whatcha got headed your way?

I've got a Bighorn Origin and a Bartlein 2b 1-7" .224 slated to be an exact dupe of this .223AI.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Have a stainless Win 70 classic New Haven featherweight in 22-250 that's soon to be a 6.5 gaymoor. Have a #2 1-8 twist 6.5 Bartlein on the shelf, a new win 243 SS follower. All I need now is a Mcmillan edge stock to finish up for the components side and off to the gunsmith. Also have a ruger MK II stainless .223 in a zytel stock thats in need of a 1-8 twist barrel.
Posted By: bt8897 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
I have a pre 64 model 70 featherweight out right now for custom walnut and rust blue. My gun maker called me today, finished with stock just needs checkering. Hope to have it back in a couple of months.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Have a stainless Win 70 classic New Haven featherweight in 22-250 that's soon to be a 6.5 gaymoor. Have a #2 1-8 twist 6.5 Bartlein on the shelf, a new win 243 SS follower. All I need now is a Mcmillan edge stock to finish up for the components side and off to the gunsmith. Also have a ruger MK II stainless .223 in a zytel stock thats in need of a 1-8 twist barrel.

6.5 gaymoor?

I think you mean getmoor....
Posted By: irfubar Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
I am building a pre-64 M70 in 6.5-06 with a McGowen stainless #1 contour barrel. The Bansner stock is suppose to arrive next Thursday.
Leupold 6x42 with CDS.
Will post pic's when done, nothing fancy just a hardcore hunting rifle.
What bullet are you planning on?

I always thought a 6.5-06 made a lot of sense.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Hig,
I hope it likes the Nosler 142 LRAB. If not I have 130 & 140 Accubonds to try.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
White trash custom. Er shaw 257 Roberts barrel on a donor 700 action smile
Posted By: RinB Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Switch barrel
Lone Peak Ti action
Proof Carbon Sendero 6 CM 22” 1-7.5
Bartlien 6.5 HTG 22” 1-8

Sold 4 actions/1 rifle to finance this. Net decrease 4.

Down to 3 BG hunting rifles. Making progress.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
7mmSTW on Defiant action with Krieger #3, Jewel trigger, and Mcmillan stock.
280AI on Rem700 action with PTG bolt and safety

Those two will get finished by October.

Parts are coming in for 6.5-06 and other projects that may or may not get finished by October.
Posted By: nathanial Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Another 8x68S
Pre 64 H&H Action
Douglas SS #4 finished at 24 inches
McMillan Win Hunter in Edge.
S&K mounts/rings
S&B 3-12x42 PH
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
A pair of 6.5's coming in the next couple weeks(I hope). Another creed and a PRC. Bighorn actions, manners stocks, proof carbon barrels, triggertech triggers, ARC M-10 rings and LRHSi's.
Which actions and stocks?

Bottom metal?

Diamonds?

Who's doing the chambers?
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
ARC Nucleus (On Order)
Geissele Trigger
6.5 Creed NSS Prefit - Light Varmint
Grayboe Terrain
PTG DBM
SWFA HD 5-20x50

The barrel is currently on a Savage action, so I know it shoots. The action won't show up for a while, I just ordered it a couple weeks ago.

Was/Am thinking about doing a 1-7 22 BR, any thoughts?
22br in a 7 twist with 88's would be big fun.
Posted By: Cinch Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
My second 22 Creedmoor is in the works as we speak... will also get a few more 6 Creedmoors put together this year as well. I have a pile of parts just have to figure out what I want and get them sent in to my gunsmith...
Posted By: CreekChub Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
700 Ti
Benchmark 24” 1-9 fluted .280ai
Just getting coated and picking up this week
Fx-3 6x42
Pile of 140gr ballistic tips
Posted By: gene270 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
sent a forbes rifle off to Melvin for a new barrel and re paint.....284 winchester
Posted By: Judman Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Originally Posted by irfubar
I am building a pre-64 M70 in 6.5-06 with a McGowen stainless #1 contour barrel. The Bansner stock is suppose to arrive next Thursday.
Leupold 6x42 with CDS.

That’ll be a dandy!!
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Finish the hunting switch barrel "system" (hate that word)...

Manners EH1
Bighorn TL3
Add some more barrels and bolt faces as I feel an itch I need to please, most likely nothing bigger than a Mag Sporter and all short and threaded for a muffler. Through buying complete rifles for the most part. Had thoughts of an Origin for a spell, but the ability to swap barrels between two TL3s won out.

Moving to a lefty Bighorn TL3 and another T5A for the super sniper, steel ninja rifle..grin...
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Going to have a .270 Ingwe built. Just sent a dummy round and a sized case to PTG reamer to have a chamber reamer made.

As for the rifle,well,whatever used one I can find for a good price.

Going to buy a Leupold 6x and have their custom shop put a leopard on the top bell.

Barrel,don't know yet and the dies are going to be made by Redding.

Hoping to have it ready for next years hunting season.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Hoping to nab a Vudoo Hummer,to add to the larder(once they's unveiled)...while DREAMING of a 17 Whizzum version of same,to materialize.(grin)

Will do a High RPM 22 BR no-turn(88 ELD's),High RPM 22 Kreedmire(88 ELD's),High RPM 7-08 SALAMI(180 ELD's) and likely reel in another Fieldcraft or two,from the hip. The Heavy 6.5-06 will get it's spout pulled,to make way for a High RPM 280 SALAMI tube and 180 ELD's(147's nor anything else .264",can begin to hang).

Never could do the "swap" barrel thang,mainly because I tend to shoot 'em out. Have less than zero interest in hamstringing a known performer and am rather at ease in simply procuring more. Never have "shared" glass or spouts and like lots of each,laying in the wings...same goes boolits.

Can see building a couple/few more 10/22's too,if only for starters.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
What’s a good place to start with a Remage in 7-08 for hunting? 1 in 8” twist, sporter, 20” threaded?

Or, just buy a Fieldcraft?
Originally Posted by Boxer
Hoping to nab a Vudoo Hummer,to add to the larder(once they's unveiled)...while DREAMING of a 17 Whizzum version of same,to materialize.(grin)

Will do a High RPM 22 BR no-turn(88 ELD's),High RPM 22 Kreedmire(88 ELD's),High RPM 7-08 SALAMI(180 ELD's) and likely reel in another Fieldcraft or two,from the hip. The Heavy 6.5-06 will get it's spout pulled,to make way for a High RPM 280 SALAMI tube and 180 ELD's(147's nor anything else .264",can begin to hang).

Never could do the "swap" barrel thang,mainly because I tend to shoot 'em out. Have less than zero interest in hamstringing a known performer and am rather at ease in simply procuring more. Never have "shared" glass or spouts and like lots of each,laying in the wings...same goes boolits.

Can see building a couple/few more 10/22's too,if only for starters.

A fast twist 7/08 definetly is on the short list. My last was a 8.5 and 180s were marginal at 200' ASL, low tide... 8 this go around for sure. I savvy the FC 7/08 appeal though and that's one I could break for... Grin....

The shouldered barrels on the TL3 have taken a swapping pretty easy and impressed with repeatality so far. I've been within .1-.2 MILS between swaps using pre poked zero offsets.

Any Vudoo loads you want to share?

#OUTDOORLIFE
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/21/18
Originally Posted by Higbean

Bottom metal?

Diamonds?

A TL3 and a SR3. Both stocks are EH6A's.The TL is going in a genII minichassis with aics mags. The SR is going into a BDL minichassis with rem bm and Wyatts extended box for the PRC. Yup, Diamonds. Proof is doing the threading and chambering work on the shouldered prefits for Bighorn.
That's solid Don...
Yeah, those will be bad ass.
Posted By: Hesp Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
Just completed a 6.5-06 on a Ruger action. E.R.Shaw 24" stainless light weight sporter.1/8 twist. Load I have developed is with a Barnes 6.5 `120gr TSX. . Bullet seated .060 off lands.Once fired reformed 25-06 brass. 53 gr IMR 4350 reads 3277fps over my chrono. Fired one case 6 times & still snug primer pocket. Consistent sub 1" groups. I have been using this same bullet in my other 6.5's ( 6.5x308, 260Rem, 6.5x55, 264 mag ) for years. We have taken numerous elk with it & never recovered a bullet yet. Always complete pass thru.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
I am surprised how many 6.5-06's are in the works.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
I am surprised how many 6.5-06's are in the works.

I think the 6.5 Creed led to better bullets and the better bullets led to fast twist barrels being everywhere and that led to people revisiting old classics with better bullets and better twist barrels.
Posted By: Hesp Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
Me & mine have been shooting the Barnes "X" since they came out back in the 1980's. I don't know how many elk we have taken with that bullet. I remember the first elk my wife took with her 6.5x308 ( years before the 260Rem & no creed back then ) . The range was 197yds. Her rifle cracked & her bull dropped where it stood. That 120gr X completely penetrated thru both front shoulders.. We take one to two elk each season with one of our 6.5's & the Barnes now 120gr TSX. Never recovered a bullet,never lost an elk.
As to the 6.5x06 I see it as a well balanced flat shooting non magnum. Capable of taking mature elk with no problem with a tough bullet properly placed.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
A 400 H&H Mag on a New Haven classic 375 H&H action, the 16 twist #3 Krieger will finish at 25"s, LOP 13-7/8ths to a skeleton steel butt and grip cap on a beautiful stick of Claro, engraved cross bolts as well as a nice wrap around the grip and for end checkering job, NEGC barrel band sling swivel and wrap around front sight, with a fixed standing express rear sight will be filed on a 50 yard zero with 400 gr Woodleigh solids at a very comfortable 2150 fps, the Woodleigh Weldcore and Swift A Frame softs of the same weight will be loaded to the same speed.

A 1.5-5 Leupold in a set of Talley QD's with levers will round out the top with all metal done in a nice soft charcoal blue finish, want to build a really nice lightweight African stalking rifle in a not so common cartridge.
Posted By: lone wolf Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
Bighorn Origin action 7mm08
Hart #3 1-9 twist
Manners eh8 adl
TriggerTech Special
Not sure on glass yet.
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
6.5x47 Lapua
Pierce Ti action
Bartlien #3 8 twist
McMillan Edge A3 Sporter
Jewell trigger
Don't remember the bottom metal

7 Rem. Mag.
Bighorn SR2
Hart #5 9 twist
McMillan Game Hunter
Don't remember the rest.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
I have a barreled action (FN Mauser) in 22 Cheetah caliber. I have never shot it, or ever had a chamber cast made, so dont know shoulder angle, etc. Would like to have a smith screw a barrel on this , in maybe 25-06 or 7x57. Anybody on here that can do it, and aprox.cost?
Thanks,Ken
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
I have a nice custom 98 Mauser in 8mm that I brought back to life.
It will get hunted this fall.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/22/18
17-22/250 Savage 99 is together and test fired. Need to decide on wood and scope. Probably won't work on it until this winter due to work and family obligations. Also waiting on a .375 WInchester barrel.
Posted By: p3t3rsn Re: Whatcha building? - 07/23/18
Blaser R8 Classic Sporter with dual barrels/scopes:
- 6.5CM barrel standard barrel with NX8 scope + backup Leupold Vari-X Compact
- 375 H&H barrel with sights and NX8 scope + backup Leupold M8 2.5x

That mixed with my existing custom G33/40 in .30/06 with M8 4x and I think I am done.

RinB - think I may give you a run for the fewest BG rifles 😏
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/23/18
This year:

Kimber Montana Swede - Dave Bruno
Kimber Montana 6x45 -Dave most likely
Posted By: 222ND Re: Whatcha building? - 07/23/18
6.5 saum
19 contour bartlien to finish at 26”
700 long action
8x40 screws
Holland sporter made by McMillan
Talley rings
Nightforce 2.5-10 MOAR
Rem trigger for now

Nathan Dagley in Center ND is the smith, hopefully done the 2 weeks
Posted By: Craigster Re: Whatcha building? - 07/23/18
6.5x55 on DWM 98 action
Douglas #2, 1-9, 24"
Custom walnut wood
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33 Ultralight CDS
Timney trigger
Cold rust blue
Posted By: Judman Re: Whatcha building? - 07/23/18
Thinkin 22creed is in order, as well as as 6.5 fredrica....
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/23/18
I’d like to do a light 6br for myself. Have a Bat 3l in the shop getting a heavy varmint kreiger and masterclass stock, 6br. I really like that action.
Posted By: InternetGuru Re: Whatcha building? - 07/24/18
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Higbean

Bottom metal?

Diamonds?

A TL3 and a SR3. Both stocks are EH6A's.The TL is going in a genII minichassis with aics mags. The SR is going into a BDL minichassis with rem bm and Wyatts extended box for the PRC. Yup, Diamonds. Proof is doing the threading and chambering work on the shouldered prefits for Bighorn.

Similar specs to what I've been tossing around for a trainer/walking varmint build. Without having them to handle, I can't decide tween the EH3, EH6 or the SL. Leaning towards the EH6. May try a Geiselle trigger.

Putting together a more basic 243 for my daughter as well. May end up a 6CM before it's done.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/24/18
I really wanted to try the SL, for the PRC hunting rifle. But decided on the EH6A(on both) for the adj comb for a switch barrel set up. Didn't really want the added forearm length of the EH6 for the short barrels, but in the long run, the looks of the too long stock don't bother me.
Posted By: rdd Re: Whatcha building? - 07/24/18
If any of you are looking for a McMillan stock that was set up for a SR3 short action I have one. Its a Hunters Edge with I think its called coyote ambush camo. Original was adl and I had Bighorn send it back to McMillan for me to inlet for bdl. While it was gone I found and bought a bdl and put my SR3 in it. So now I have a spare. In fact it is still sitting at Bighorn and never picked it back up yet.
Posted By: InternetGuru Re: Whatcha building? - 07/25/18
I really wanted to try the SL, for the PRC hunting rifle. But decided on the EH6A(on both) for the adj comb for a switch barrel set up. Didn't really want the added forearm length of the EH6 for the short barrels, but in the long run, the looks of the too long stock don't bother me.

I'm pretty set on the EH6 route with a chassis.Currently thinking 700 footprint, .223, 7-twist, bartlein 2b, 3b or light palma @ 22" with the Geiselle or triggertech trigger. Primary use will be positional shooting practice at my backyard range where I'm limited to 400 meters. A factory Tikka in the MCS-EHT is also tempting. A Micro-Fieldcraft in .223 would probably save me some coin if they existed.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Whatcha building? - 07/25/18
Originally Posted by Shooter71
I’d like to do a light 6br for myself. Have a Bat 3l in the shop getting a heavy varmint kreiger and masterclass stock, 6br. I really like that action.

Do you have a 6 Dasher reamer?

If so, what kinda free bore?
Posted By: BeardHunter Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
Just dropped a Nucreus in a Manners PRS1 with a Hawk Hill Savage prefit 6.5x47 Marksman contour. Was going to chop spout back to 20” or so but the damn thing is scary good as is.

Built a sr3 with a Proof savage prefit 223 in a Game Warden that is showing promise as well.

Origin will arrive in August I guess. I have a MPA chassis and a couple more Hawk Hill prefits sitting here but may dump it in an A3 for another prone groundhog blaster.

Have an urge for a 22 creed lightweight but need to score a 1:7 barrel.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
Nice.

I've got a Montana in 6 Dasher that wants to be a 22 Creedmoor.
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
Send me that Montana, it’ll be like seeing a high school girlfriend at a ten year reunion.
Posted By: jd9770 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
Getting a 300 Win Mag pieced together.
Rem 700 action
Christensen carbon fiber barrel
McMillan edge game warden stock
Timney trigger
Precision bottom metal
Posted By: BeardHunter Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
I’ve spent half my life waiting on a smith to scratch an itch.....I can get over barrel nuts for near instant gratification. Not to mention losing the heavy shank on a savage prefit moves the balance point back on a chunk. If bartlein 2b’s were more plentiful in the wild the world would be a batter place.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
Remington 280 (std chamber).
Remington Sportsman 78 trued action (bead blast blue/matte finish) with BDL bottom.
JC SS barrel (#2 contour 1:8" twist) 23".
Brown Precision stock.
Leupold 4.5-14 B&C
Nothing special, really.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
Just dropped a Nucreus in a Manners

I thought those were nuke-u-less.......
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
Kimber Montana, 223 AI, 21" Hart, 7" twist, 3-9x40 SWFA

David
Posted By: 1lessdog Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
Just this yr I have had 3 rifles built. All on Remington 700's.

6MM AI 1 - 13 1/2 Kreiger barrel 27 inch shooting 65 gr Nosler BT. Magpul 700R stock

22-6MM AI 1 - 14 Krieger barrel 26 inch shooting Hornady 55 gr Vmax McMillan stock

6MM BRX 1 - 8 Brux barrel 26 inch shooting Seirra 107 gr HP Magpul stock but but going to buy a McMillan stock.

They all shoot great, I couldnt be happier.
Posted By: hanco Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
A new pig trap!
Originally Posted by hanco
A new pig trap!

Way to go, Einstein....

Posted By: donsm70 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
I just had a local smith build a custom 260 Rem.

I bought a Herstal Dumoulin barreled action on here a year ago that was already chambered for 260 Rem.

I had the smith turn down the barrel, cut it to 23" and recrown it.

I picked a walnut blank and he shaped and finished it for me. I also found some ebony blocks on here for the grip cap and forend tip.

He added a Kick EEZ recoil pad.

He put 20 plus coats of hand rubbed oil on it. I then sent the stock to Washington state for checkering.

I have added a Trijicon scope for some Texas hog hunting this fall.

It shoots 120 gr Barnes Vortex factory ammo to less than 1".

I think it is a keeper, but certainly not a lightweight mountain rifle.

donsm70
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/26/18
My latest is in the mail back to me as we speak

Squared 700
Brux #3 1 in 8 twist chambered in 6br finished at 20.5"
McMillan MR stock with PTG. DBM for AI magazines
Will wear a 6x SS but might pick up a 3-9 SS on the black Friday sale.

I'm looking forward to this one
Yeah, Shaen sent me a pic.

It's a beaut.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Whatcha building? - 07/27/18
Gunner your rifle sounds awesome. I have a 6.5X55 Swede in the works. Using a 1909 Argentine Mauser action matched to a Douglas premium barrel at 23 inches. It will be a full stocked Manlicher using a nice piece of English walnut. It should be done in October but I'm gone grouse hunting for 6 weeks so if all goes well I'll get it in November get it sighted in and hopefully the barrel broken in for deer season.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/27/18
Thanks Hig. Shaen said he digs it too. Can't wait to see it.

Shaen rebarreled my Montana to 22-250 AI earlier this year and did an awesome job. His work is first class
Posted By: Tony_Soprano Re: Whatcha building? - 07/27/18
Patrick Holehan is finishing up a 340 Wby for me with his SOP Mod 70 in both wood and synthetic stocks.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/27/18
Just got my Ruger no. 1 back with a Brux 1-10 twist 224 dia. barrel,cut to 26 inch length and chambered in 220 swift, I did glass bed the forearm also,nightforce 4.5-14 x56 .this rifle will be used as my truck gun with 60 grain Nosler Partitions to save coyote hides for money using the better bullets,this rifle shoots without much testing of reloading ammo shoots 1/2 -3/4 inch 3 shot groups good enough for killin coyotes. also glad the 60 gr. Nosler B.T. shoots in the same place as the 60 Partitions at 100 yards, the nice thing about a Ruger no.1 it is 4 inches shorter than other type rifles,because it has a much smaller type receiver, so it swings easier in the truck,deer stand or any tight spaced areas. my speed with a 60 grain bullet is just over 3600 fps with my handloads and my once fired cases look just fine too out of this Ruger no.1.Pete53

Glad you keyboard boys caught that !
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/27/18
What does the barrel screw into?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/27/18
Originally Posted by pete53
Ruger no.1 is 4 inches shorter than other type rifles,because it has no receiver,

Is this gem worth saving?

Hey, pete. What does the barrel screw into? The buttstock?
Posted By: shootAI Re: Whatcha building? - 07/27/18
huntsman22 - You made me spit up my coffee
Posted By: SKane Re: Whatcha building? - 07/28/18
I actually don't know yet. About the only thing that's set is it'll be a short action and the flavor will be 6mm cal, in either Bartlein 2B or #3 / 1:8. And that the weight will be ample.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fredIII Re: Whatcha building? - 07/29/18
Originally Posted by SKane
I actually don't know yet. About the only thing that's set is it'll be a short action and the flavor will be 6mm cal, in either Bartlein 2B or #3 / 1:8. And that the weight will be ample.

[Linked Image]

6x47 would be a fun one.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Whatcha building? - 07/29/18
The 3F is near. 3F= 6.5 WSSM AI 40*
Should be a fun little shooter.

Going with a mod7 in mag face. high tech stock and obermeyer in #3b. PTG DBM. It’s getting a SAW brake hopefully 135 Berger at 3100 and 129 LRAB at 3200
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/30/18
Originally Posted by pete53
Ruger no.1 is 4 inches shorter than other type rifles,because it has no receiver,

Is this gem worth saving?

Hey, pete. What does the barrel screw into? The buttstock?

Hunts, it’s a truck gun. Barrel screws into the engine block. 😃😎
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/30/18

[Linked Image]

Looks like Petes rifle...😎
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whatcha building? - 07/30/18
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I started a rifle 4 days ago. Convert a Sav 111 from 7mmRM to 300WM.
I put a Shilen select match #3 taper 13" twist 308 barrel in the lathe and dialed it in.
I cut threads and chamber.
I have it headspaced with a piece of brass that measures 0.195" to the front of the belt. I have 0.005" clearance from bolt head to barrel tenon.
I cut the shoulder [no castle nuts for me] for a tenon length for a 0.225" thick recoil lug. That was a mistake. I do not have one. I ordered one from E Arthur Brown on Fri night with 2 day shipping.... that will probably be a week.
So for right now, what looks like a finished barrel breech is stuck in the lathe with me afraid to take it out until I get that recoil lug.

So I started working the stock in the mill.
I have a 52 ounce black painted Boyds pro varmint made of laminated wood that I milled out for a Whidden 20 degree V block with pillars.
I drilled out the action screw holes in the stock to take the pillars.

I suppose I could take out the accutrigger and install the Timney trigger.

Posted By: SKane Re: Whatcha building? - 07/30/18
Originally Posted by Beaver10

[Linked Image]

Looks like Petes rifle...😎

TFF

And maybe I should have gone with a Bunx barrel?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Whatcha building? - 07/30/18
I understand there is at least one .270 Ingwe under construction...
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Whatcha building? - 07/30/18
Not so much building as rebuilding.

A couple years ago I bought a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts. Brass eater. Fire once, resize/reload, fire again ... bad, bad ring around the case at the web. Best I can tell the chamber was under-diameter such that it was headspacing on the body taper, not reaching the shoulder. Thought it was dies so I got another FL die. No fix. frown So I went in to PTG last fall with a dummy case, a new .257 case with a 100 grain ballistic tip set to 2.81 inch OAL and told 'em I wanted a minimum SAAMI chamber with the throat cut so that bullet tapped the lands. It's at my buddy / ex B-I-L gunsmith's shop now.

1) Maybe shoulda gotten a new barrel but I finally got the factory barrel to stop fouling, cleans easy, so .. that's good.

2) Considered changing cartridges but I have 500 or so 120 grain partitions and enough H414 to push 'em .. and every .257 I've owned loved that combination.

If everything goes as planned, it'll be a load-em-up-and-kill-stuff gun, not a lot of load work needed. I've got a Leupold 2.5-8X B&C for it.

I have a new Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 which I'm working with. I'm figuring Leupold 1.75-6x for hunting timber.

Given that I've got short and medium covered, I think my next build will be something in the 7mm or .30 range, heavier, with an eye to long range. I might go in search of a BPCR type rifle instead. Haven't decided.

Tom
Posted By: RSM03 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/31/18
35 Whelen, sitting on a Douglas #3, Triggertech primary, Sunnyhill bdl metal and Leupold VXR 1.25x4. Still 6 months out on a Deviant ultralight and McMillan woody frown
Posted By: MikeS Re: Whatcha building? - 07/31/18
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano
Patrick Holehan is finishing up a 340 Wby for me with his SOP Mod 70 in both wood and synthetic stocks.

Please post pictures when complete!
Posted By: J23 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/31/18
Originally Posted by Shooter71

I have a Model 7 action with a .308 bolt face hanging around.. I've often thought about having it barreled and chambered in a 6mm BR or Dasher for a light little package. I was always afraid of having feeding issues though.
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Whatcha building? - 07/31/18
The 6br I just built for dude270 uses an accurate mag and primal rights internals. With some feed lip and mag catch work it was feeding really well. The same can be applied to a standard mag box and follower. A short barreled ADL 6br would be a sweet sleeper of a rifle.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whatcha building? - 08/01/18
I have built a number of 6mmBR rifles. I ran them all single shot. The heavier the better at the range, the lighter the better to hunt. I shot two antelope with the light one.
Rem700 short action, bansner stock, 6mmBR 95 gr Nos Bal Tip moly 29 gr IMR-4166 2800 fps chrono 27" Pac Nor super match 8" twist barrel'

But tonight I am building a Sav 111.
[Linked Image]
1) I am replacing the factory Sav 7mmRemMag barrel with a Shilen Select Match 308 barrel I have chambered in 300WM.
2) I am replacing the castle nut with a shoulder I cut on the barrel.
3) I am replacing the Sav factory injection moulded stock with a Boyds painted laminated wood pro varmint stock
4) I am adding a Whidden 20 degree V block. I have made them from scratch on a manual machine, but I will let Whidden's CNC make it.
5) I am replacing the Whidden pillars with ones I made. Almost the same thing, but I have to fool around making them over and over to get them the right length.
6) I am countersinking the front pillar for the action screw, and cutting down and rounding over the head of the rear action screw.
7) I am replacing the Sav factory 1/4-28 screws with 5/32"Allen head with Brighton Best 1/4-28 screws with 3/16" Allen heads. Almost the same thing, but I keep modifying the length, head height, and head cap radius.
8) I am replacing the Sav factory bolt handle with Glades handle.
9) I am replacing the Glades knob with a homemade knob with less mass, thermal conductivity, and specific heat.
10) I am blending the Glades handle square top with a deburring wheel so it has round corners
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/32665168
11) I am replacing the savage factory plastic trigger guard with an aftermarket metal one, because it will be compressed by the rear action screw.
12) I am replacing the Sav factory accutrigger with a Timney.
13) I am replacing the Boyds recoil pad with a Limbsaver
14) I am replacing the Sav factory stamped 0.187" thick recoil lug with a 0.225" ground lug.. if it arrives tomorrow.
15) I will grind a bevel on the front bottom edge of the recoil lug, as that metal is superfluous.
16) I will be replacing and bending the ridiculous little centerfeed magazine retainer clip

Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Whatcha building? - 08/01/18
6.5 saum

Waiting on the barrel and then all the parts go to the gunsmith
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Whatcha building? - 08/05/18
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
This year:

One down: Kimber Swede, VXR 2-7, 6lbs 7.5ozs.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: Whatcha building? - 08/05/18
Originally Posted by Brett_Mc
ARC Nucleus (On Order)
Geissele Trigger
6.5 Creed NSS Prefit - Light Varmint
Grayboe Terrain
PTG DBM
SWFA HD 5-20x50

The barrel is currently on a Savage action, so I know it shoots. The action won't show up for a while, I just ordered it a couple weeks ago.

Was/Am thinking about doing a 1-7 22 BR, any thoughts?

I broke down and ordered a 22 BR barrel the other day, to go on the Nucleus. Will be shooting the 88 ELDs primarily, and dabbling with the 95 Sierras. The 6.5 Creed barrel will just have to stay on the Savage.

Pac-Nor 3 groove Pre-Fit
1-6.5" Twist
Sendero Contour @ 22"
No Turn Neck (.254)
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Whatcha building? - 08/05/18
Still waiting on McMillan to send back the last one Parkerized Gew.98(DWM, 1917) 270 WCF #1 ER Shaw(24").
Posted By: irfubar Re: Whatcha building? - 08/09/18
Leupold 6x42 with CDS.

Just finished putting it together, haven't shot it yet.
Finished up at 7lb. 8 oz.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: Whatcha building? - 08/09/18
That’ll work!! Looks good

Just dropped of my soon to be 6.5-300 wby yesterday, I’ll post er up pretty quick
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whatcha building? - 08/09/18
[Linked Image]

1) 7-26-2018 I started Sav 111 convert from 7mmRemMag to 300WM with Shilen barrel

A week later

2) 8-3-2018 I started Sav 110 convert from 30-06 to 280AI with Bartlein barrel

Those two are in the above pic.

A week later

3) 8-7-2018 I started Rem 700 convert from 7mmRemMag to 7mmSTW with Bartlein barrel
I have threads cut, chamber cut, headspaced, barrel crowned, barrel with one layer of Aluma Hyde II paint.

A week from now

4) It will either be another Rem700, a Win 70, or a 98 Mauser... no more Savages before the October 2018 hunting season.
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Whatcha building? - 08/09/18
I’m about to start a .257 wby on a mark V action, Bartlein 2B, factory stock.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whatcha building? - 08/10/18
[Linked Image]

I just got this running. It took a week.

1980 Rem 700 ADL 7mmRM
Bartlein #3 9" twist barrel
B&C stock with Aluminum bed
Wyatt magazine, follower, spring, and bottom metal
PTG bolt with AR15 extractor
PTG 0.187" recoil lug.
Piece of 3/32" oil hardening drill rod for the recoil pin
Timney 510 trigger
Aluma Hyde II paint Coyote color on the barrel
Action screws made from modified Unbrako cap screws.

Note to self: Remington may have a 0.704" diameter hole 0.155" deep in the breech of their barrel for their 0.694" bolt head, but for PTG bolt with an AR15 extractor to snap over the extractor rim of a chambered round, that hole will need to be 0.725".
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Whatcha building? - 08/10/18
lots of gaymoores out there!
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Whatcha building? - 08/12/18
This year:

One down: Kimber Swede, VXR 2-7, 6lbs 7.5ozs.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Result are in! Factory Lapua 106 Scenars

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Keechi_Kid Re: Whatcha building? - 08/12/18
I'm thinking about building a stainless Winchester classic up into a 300 H&H. Probably start with a 375 H&H for the action. Thinking Echols stock, stainless Blackburn bottom metal. Barrel will likely be a #2 profile Pac Nor. Unsure on length but thinking 25" or 26". Have the smith do a checkered bolt handle and checker up the bolt release.
Posted By: skeen Re: Whatcha building? - 08/13/18
Originally Posted by Judman
That’ll work!! Looks good

Just dropped of my soon to be 6.5-300 wby yesterday, I’ll post er up pretty quick

Hey, Judman, was that you that ordered that purple McSwirly? What are you mounting up in that?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whatcha building? - 08/17/18
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

1) 7-26-2018 I started Sav 111 convert from 7mmRemMag to 300WM with Shilen barrel

A week later

2) 8-3-2018 I started Sav 110 convert from 30-06 to 280AI with Bartlein barrel

Those two are in the above pic.

A week later

3) 8-7-2018 I started Rem 700 convert from 7mmRemMag to 7mmSTW with Bartlein barrel
I have threads cut, chamber cut, headspaced, barrel crowned, barrel with one layer of Aluma Hyde II paint.

A week from now

4) It will either be another Rem700, a Win 70, or a 98 Mauser... no more Savages before the October 2018 hunting season.

It was a Rem700 with 26" finished Bartlein 2B 6.5-06 with Kiwi stock, PTG recoil lug, and home made concave recoil lugs.
Weighs 7# 3 oz
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I will start another rifle tomorrow.
5) It will be a Win 70 or a 98 Mauser or a ....
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whatcha building? - 08/19/18
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1949 Win M70 30-06.
It took me 1.5 days to get it rebarreled and restocked.
I have never painted a fluted barrel before this, I will see.
Posted By: CRS Re: Whatcha building? - 08/19/18
1. Rebarreling a Rem LVSF in 22-250 with a 1:8. Shot out the factory barrel.
2. Chopping and threading a Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor for suppressor use.

3. Stainless Model 70 classic action
338-06
Shilen #3 1:9, 22" threaded
PTG Aluminum bottom metal
McMillan Edge Hunter stock. Green with tan, black specs
Cerakoted some color of brown
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: Whatcha building? - 08/20/18
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1949 Win M70 30-06.
It took me 1.5 days to get it rebarreled and restocked.
I have never painted a fluted barrel before this, I will see.

That's a damn fine looking rifle.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Whatcha building? - 08/20/18
My long-term project is still percolating in the 'smith's dungeon:

6.5x55 SE
Lapua brass, Accubonds
Early 1920's Mauser action
Lothar Walther #1200 sporter profile, 1:8 twist, will be cut to 23.75 inches
Watt's Walnut exhibition grade American walnut blank duplicated to approximate my Rem 700 Classic stock, Schnabel tip
Talley fixed rings/bases
Dakota Arms Model 70 style shroud/safety
Dakota Arms Ken Howell (!!!) #2 swing swivel studs
Dressel grip cap
McFarland steel buttplate
Leupold 6x42 FX-3, Duplex

I plan to have the shroud/safety, scope rings, grip cap, butt plate lightly engraved then case hardened. Everything else blued, polish bolt body and new bolt handle to replicate the new Mauser hunting rifles; blue the extractor; polish trigger shoe

I don't have a target weight in mind, it'll be a sum of it's parts, this won't be a 'mountain rifle'.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/28/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/28/18
That'll do Josh. What LOP is that?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/28/18
My 1st Bighorn/Proof barreled action showed up wednesday. Bolted it all together and fired 8 rounds yesterday. 2 to sight-in, and 2, 3 shot groups. Both under 3/4.... I just used ammo already loaded for the Rugers. Good enuff, load workup done. Boom....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/28/18
Oh yeah.... I had a pair of LRHSi's for the customs. Used one last week to replace the busted Burris off the RPR. Bought a 3-12 LRTS for the new Creed.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/28/18
Originally Posted by 30338
That'll do Josh. What LOP is that?

It's 14"....

Little write up in the Hunting Rifles section.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/29/18
Great looking rifle there Don. Elk hunting with It?
Posted By: SKane Re: Whatcha building? - 09/29/18
Josh, Don - great lookin' rifles you've got going there.

Coming home next week. blush

6 Creedmoor

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/29/18
I’m building two rifles.

1. 300 RUM built on a model 70 classic action. #3 shillen select match with a McMillan stock that I picked up at a garage sale.

2. 284 Win built on a model 70 SS push feed classic action. #2 shillen select match with a McMillan edge stock and PTG aluminum bottom metal.
If the 284 is anything close to the 6.5x284 this will likely become my favorite rifle for most L48 hunts.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/29/18
Originally Posted by 30338
Great looking rifle there Don. Elk hunting with It?

Only if the PRC doesn't show up before season.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Whatcha building? - 09/29/18
Ya'll have some cool stuff coming together!

Finally got the 1-7" Shilen .22 br spout today.

21" Sendero or some schit.

[Linked Image]

Had a friend mill flats.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/29/18
After we get through October Deer and Elk here in Idaho, I will be starting a new project. I bought my buddies Rem 700 AWR 300 RUM as he just couldn't shoot that large of a rifle as well as he liked.

It has a muzzle brake and a timney trigger. I am going to send it to kampfield customs to deeply flute the barrel and bolt, add a campfire knurled knob, mini 16 extractor, side bolt release, and re cerakote the entire rifle graphite black.

The greyboe stock has already been replaced with a black edge mcmillan hunter - going to have that painted to something similar to the GAP camo. Will top it with 4-16x42 ATACR....May take me a few months and in stages - but should finish nice. I have already liquidated quite a bit to get this lined up.

Plan to run my 6.5 CTR and have one nice high end large 300 magnum. That combo should cover the sprectrum quite well.
Posted By: papat Re: Whatcha building? - 09/29/18
Been slowly working on the Norwegian Krag barreled action I picked up so many years ago. You can't have too many 6.5X55s. Stock should be here soon. Inventing in my head a bolt mounted peep. Metal will be rust blued. Stock is classic design and will be trimmed down as much as possible. Dreamed of doing this stuff after I retired. Now doing it. Next, a long slide 45acp or a 280 as light as I can make it. Haven't decided yet.
Posted By: GRF Re: Whatcha building? - 09/29/18
I'm not sure if this project falls within the boundaries of custom rifles, but here we go.

I acquired a mid 1970s push feed model 70 in .30-06. The rifle had not been overly cared for by the first owner, the second owned removed the few bits of rust and the little bit of blueing left and gave the barreled action a nice coat of black krylon. the stock was refinished with a very dark stain and then glass bedded.

Insufficient application of release agent resulted in a gun glued together. The second owner tried to separate the action and stock by drilling out the screw heads on the fore and aft actions screws with no success.

To date I have the barreled action and the stock separated and the paint off of the action.

Further plans are to polish the action and either blue it or do some sort of coating. Re-barrel in stainless; not sure what calibre yet, waffling around with .240 weatherby, 6.5x55, 6.5-06 or .270. The stock is rather chunky and will be going on the rasp diet and will be finished in a manner to show the wood grain. I will re-bed the action and seal the barrel channel with epoxy. Not sure what I'm going to use for a recoil pad.

Hoping to keep finished weight on the lighter side.

Its going to be a bit of a frakenstein thing when its done but the push feed model 70s can be made to shoot well. It is mainly just a cheap fun winters project.

I'll post pictures of Frankenstein when its done.
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Whatcha building? - 09/29/18
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I understand there is at least one .270 Ingwe under construction...

the true 7mm!
Posted By: Gasman Re: Whatcha building? - 09/30/18
A Montana in 300 WSM is turning out to be my all-around big game rifle and works very well for 95% of my needs, but for certain high wind, longer range situations, I'm building the following:

Win 70 SS Classic "Express" action
Broughton #3 fluted barrel, 1:9 twist, 26"
Manners EH3 stock
Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44

It'll be chambered in 30 Nosler, which to my mind is just a LA 300 WSM. If Federal ever gets around to releasing the 200 gr. TBT to the market, that'll be the bullet of choice.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 09/30/18
You only have 6 mils of wind hold with that scope. I hope it's enuff for the 'certain high winds' you expect.....grin
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Whatcha building? - 09/30/18
I have a M700 223 sporter with BRUX 1:8" bbl in a Bansner stock. Might replace the action with another and make it into a 1:8" 22-250.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Whatcha building? - 09/30/18
That should be a pretty nice shooting rifle, quality barrel and stock.
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: Whatcha building? - 09/30/18
[Linked Image]

7 RM Eddie Fosnaugh put together for me. Scope will be switched out for a NF ATACR 4-16X50 F1. Bighorn SR2, Hart #5 9 twist, Bix-N-Andy Tac Sport, McMillan Game Hunter.

[Linked Image]

GAP Hunter in 6.5 PRC. Not really a spec'd build since it already came the way I would of put it together plus, I didn't have to wait for it. Did change out the trigger to a Trigger Tech Diamond.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Whatcha building? - 09/30/18
Those are really nice MasterBlaster.

What do you think of the TT Diamond vs. Tac Sport?
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: Whatcha building? - 10/01/18
They're both great triggers but, and this is probably subjective on my part, the Tac Sport has the crispest most consistent break I've ever felt.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Whatcha building? - 10/01/18
Not what I wanted to hear.

smile
Posted By: kingston Re: Whatcha building? - 10/01/18
I’m having a hard time tuning the creep out of my Tac Sport. It does break crisp.
Posted By: jbuck Re: Whatcha building? - 10/11/18
Just got this one back from LRI. Winchester 300wsm with Mickey edge and proof sendero lite at 24”. I got it back 4 days before hunting camp so didn’t have time to work up a load. It shot 1/2” with the first box of factory ammo I tried. So far I’m loving it.

[img]https://flic.kr/p/2bRE6Jn[/img]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 10/11/18
I bet you do. Very nice.
Posted By: hatari Re: Whatcha building? - 10/11/18
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
My long-term project is still percolating in the 'smith's dungeon:

6.5x55 SE
Lapua brass, Accubonds
Early 1920's Mauser action
Lothar Walther #1200 sporter profile, 1:8 twist, will be cut to 23.75 inches
Watt's Walnut exhibition grade American walnut blank duplicated to approximate my Rem 700 Classic stock, Schnabel tip
Talley fixed rings/bases
Dakota Arms Model 70 style shroud/safety
Dakota Arms Ken Howell (!!!) #2 swing swivel studs
Dressel grip cap
McFarland steel buttplate
Leupold 6x42 FX-3, Duplex

I plan to have the shroud/safety, scope rings, grip cap, butt plate lightly engraved then case hardened. Everything else blued, polish bolt body and new bolt handle to replicate the new Mauser hunting rifles; blue the extractor; polish trigger shoe

I don't have a target weight in mind, it'll be a sum of it's parts, this won't be a 'mountain rifle'.

You need to talk to Pugs. He has a very simialr build working!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Whatcha building? - 10/12/18
My second Bighorn is ready for elk camp. 6.5 PRC

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire