Home
Curious to hear everyone’s input on this as I’m debating between the two options below in 300 Win Mag. Actions are being chosen because of the CRF.

Option 1:
M70 Action, preferably with the old style trigger.
Something like a Lilja #2 barrel
McMillan Edge Stock

Option 2:
Kimber Montana

The Kimber basically checks all the boxes, even comes threaded with a muzzle break. Only downsides are the trigger is a box housing design and the LOP is a little short (would probably add a spacer or longer pad to fix). I also know that it’s going to be way cheaper than the M70 build route.

Goal is to have a sub 8 pound when scoped 300 win mag for general purpose hunting. Is there any benefit to building a custom on a M70, aside from having something unique and personalized, when the Kimber is, more or less, already that?
Your scope choice will have a significant impact upon whether you can make weight with the Winchester. If you are planning a LRHS weight category scope, make life easier and go kimber. Otherwise, either will work and you already know the cost differential.

300 wm is where I start to really notice recoil. I think the kimber is a fantastic stock, but the 300 wsm is about where I draw the line on the 8400. 300wm and 338 wm really get my attention in that platform.

Keechikid may weigh in as he bought a very nice 300 wm in an Echols legend here a few months back which met your weight criteria. If I were going m70 and had time to wait, that is the route I would go (legend in edge.)
My 300 H&H comes pretty close to what you're planning, it's a pre 64 M70 action, Lilja #2 @24" Echols legend stock, factory BM and with a swaro Z3 3-10x42 on top in comes in at 7 3/4 lbs, shoots and handles wonderful.

From their respective home pages, each in 300wm

Win 70 fwt - 7lbs-4oz
Montana 6lbs-13oz

A Win 70 fwt in 300wm is only 7 oz heavier than a Kimber Montana. If you swap out for an Edge or Banser, I'm betting you're looking at equal weight for both, which is something I would not have guessed. Someone more knowledgeable may know, but I'm guessing the factory wood stock is around a 1/2lb heavier. Your Lilja #2 will add a few ounces, but if you go blind mag with the Win 70, you're probably close to even again.

Personally, I'd start searching GB for an older Win 70 with the original trigger.
Originally Posted by minengr

From their respective home pages, each in 300wm

Win 70 fwt - 7lbs-4oz
Montana 6lbs-13oz

A Win 70 fwt in 300wm is only 7 oz heavier than a Kimber Montana. If you swap out for an Edge or Banser, I'm betting you're looking at equal weight for both, which is something I would not have guessed. Someone more knowledgeable may know, but I'm guessing the factory wood stock is around a 1/2lb heavier. Your Lilja #2 will add a few ounces, but if you go blind mag with the Win 70, you're probably close to even again.

Personally, I'd start searching GB for an older Win 70 with the original trigger.

Yes, I would think that bedded into a McMillan, a model 70 would be superior except for new trigger
I owned a Kimber Montana in 270wsm. It shot poor groups before I sent it back to Kimber.
They did nothing but provided a three shot target at 1.25” and said it was in spec. It was a 50 yard group.
Sold it, and never looked back or at another Kimber.
Can't tell you 'your' right answer...only mine. Definitely less money to go with the Kimber if it matters...yet so special to have your own. This rifle weighs 7#'s as it sits. Will hit 8 with the scope...It's only a pussycat 6.5 SAUM, not sure how much lighter you really need to be on a 300 Win Mag. I guess the answers depend on how much you hate your money and how much you hate your shoulder.

[Linked Image]

and just to show this is not a 'moment of weakness', here is the other Winchester, this one a 6.5 CM I've hunted for a few years...do what's in your heart. It's just rifles, man.

[Linked Image]
If you can wait a semi custom M70 is what I would do probably go with a Bartlein "0" contour but I wouldn't try to get the weight down too much less than eight pounds which I think is about right for a magnum rifle.
Does it absolutely have to be a 300 WM? I have a Montana in 300 WSM, and as AKwolverine noted, recoil is quite manageable in that rifle.
I have a Model 70 XTR Stainless in 300 win mag 26" barrel which I just found in a not so local gunshop that is unfired. It is 1992 manufacture and weighs 7lbs 8 ounces. I am going to put it in a Bansner Model 70 stock(when I can find one) add one piece aluminum bottom metal and call it good. Factory tupperware weighs 31.5 ounces . So far I am 540 bucks into it .

I was looking long and hard at a Kimber 8400 338 that was lightly used and decided against it .
The Win for sure............not really even a close decision, IMO.

I have a M-70 Sporter w/24" barrel in an Edge Compact Classic with Conetrol mounts & a Leupold 2.5x8 & it weighs 7 lb 15 oz.

Using a FWT action & a lighter contour barrel & a reasonable scope & mounts will get you there.

MM

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by handwerk
My 300 H&H comes pretty close to what you're planning, it's a pre 64 M70 action, Lilja #2 @24" Echols legend stock, factory BM and with a swaro Z3 3-10x42 on top in comes in at 7 3/4 lbs, shoots and handles wonderful.

Yep, excellent choice there. I also have a semi custom pre 64 built on the H&H receiver, that is now a 338WM. The thing is 8 pounds all up and drives tacks. When I had the Swaro 3-9x36, it was 7 3/4 pounds. That's right around the weight the OP is looking for. A light barrel and stock make a lot of difference when it comes to lightening a model 70. Forgot to mention my 338 wears a Brown PoundR, which is very light and rigid. The ergo's of the stock really help to mitigate the recoil of the magnums. One warning I have about using a hunter's compact edge. They really don't help to soak up magnum recoil... A stock's comb that is more parallel to the axis of the bore, and with less drop, usually mitigates recoil better. Kimber has a really well designed stock, very similar to the brown poundR, I use on my 338..:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You could always try a Bansner on a model 70 as well, they have similar ergo's as the kimber montana stock:
[Linked Image]

As for just going out and buying a Kimber montana, well you takes your chances there.. However, some guys here have been pretty good at rolling the dice lately... wink
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Can't tell you 'your' right answer...only mine. Definitely less money to go with the Kimber if it matters...yet so special to have your own. This rifle weighs 7#'s as it sits. Will hit 8 with the scope...It's only a pussycat 6.5 SAUM, not sure how much lighter you really need to be on a 300 Win Mag. I guess the answers depend on how much you hate your money and how much you hate your shoulder.

[Linked Image]

and just to show this is not a 'moment of weakness', here is the other Winchester, this one a 6.5 CM I've hunted for a few years...do what's in your heart. It's just rifles, man.

[Linked Image]

Nice rifles..
Originally Posted by Sevens
Curious to hear everyone’s input on this as I’m debating between the two options below in 300 Win Mag. Actions are being chosen because of the CRF.

Option 1:
M70 Action, preferably with the old style trigger.
Something like a Lilja #2 barrel
McMillan Edge Stock

Option 2:
Kimber Montana

The Kimber basically checks all the boxes, even comes threaded with a muzzle break. Only downsides are the trigger is a box housing design and the LOP is a little short (would probably add a spacer or longer pad to fix). I also know that it’s going to be way cheaper than the M70 build route.

Goal is to have a sub 8 pound when scoped 300 win mag for general purpose hunting. Is there any benefit to building a custom on a M70, aside from having something unique and personalized, when the Kimber is, more or less, already that?

M70 - and definitely with the NH trigger..
The advantage to going with the Winchester is you stand a better change that it will shoot well. Kimber does put out shooters but they have a well known reputation for spotty accuracy. I've debated this exact scenario except I want a 280 ackley. I'm a big fan of model 70s but have had concerns that it would end up too heavy
Everyone gets hung up on the NH trigger. Great design in theory, but in practice they where made of cheap cast parts and really suck. Even after you have a good Smith like Redneck work them over they are nothing special. On my Classics I always run Jewell triggers. I currently have 5 digit classics, 6 digit classics and an early BACO gun in my possession. It's no contest on which is the better gun quality wise-the BACO by a mile.
A model 70 EW in 300wsm is the perfect blend of weight and balance IMO. I have and would take one over a Kimber any day of the week.
I really like pre-64 and, especially pre-war Winchesters. I have built a lot of rifles based on these actions and some of them, I really liked. Having said this, a friend of mine has a little Kimber and, if I was starting over, I'm not sure I would build myself a rifle at all. It is light, slim, balances well and carries well. One of these in 308 would do anything I need a hunting rifle to do. It wasn't that many years ago that you could not have given me one but today, anyone who would like to give me one is welcome to do so. The slim action makes possible a slim stock which makes a rifle which is much nicer to carry.
As far as triggers are concerned; the fewer parts, the better the trigger, in my view. In the end, if the trigger works, it's a good trigger. GD
If the kimbers weren’t so hit or miss, it would be a no brainer. That being said, I’m putting together a classic stainless featherweight in a blind mag edge stock. Will post up what it weighs when it’s finiahed.
My M70 SS Featherweight 30-06 in a Mc Edge, weighs 6 pounds 8 and 1/2 ounces with Warne bases and no scope. With the Minox ZE1x5x24 IR scope (17 ounces) ( for drive hunts) and Recknagel tactical rings mounted, the rifle tips the scales at 7 pounds, 13 and 3/4 ounces. Perfect for me. RJ
Originally Posted by Jackalope
If the kimbers weren’t so hit or miss, it would be a no brainer. That being said, I’m putting together a classic stainless featherweight in a blind mag edge stock. Will post up what it weighs when it’s finiahed.

What are you using for a trigger guard?
Originally Posted by BWalker

What are you using for a trigger guard?

The factory aluminum blind mag trigger guard.
Good thread and lots of useful suggestions. I definitely believe you should buy/build the rifle you want, regardless what all of us suggest. However, I might rethink the 300wm choice, considering the '06 or possibly a 35 whelen instead. Regardless, let us know what direction you go!
I’ve owned a pile of both M70’s and Kimber MT’s. Having said that, you couldn’t give me an 8400 MT 300 WM. Talk about an ungainly rifle! Skinny barrel applied to a fat stock. A pregnant carp sucking a straw. No thanks.

Were I building a 300 Mag and wanted it light, I’d build a 300 WSM on an M70 action, have whatever maker mimic a Douglas no.2 barrel contour, and drop it in a Echols Legend (Edge fill) stock with PT&G recontoured al bottom metal. Get some Talley x-Lows and mount a reasaonably light scope (like a Leupold 3.5-10x40). With a Butler Creek Mountain Sling and three rounds you’ll be around 8lbs.

I prefer the open M70 trigger.
Tough call. I’m starting to wind down and actually might get down to a 2 gun battery. Not including rimfires of course.
I’ve have both and just finished a custom Win70 300wsm. It’s a 24”proof carbon, McMillan HTG edge elk rifle. I am currently looking for a short action standard bolt to build a matching 20” 6.5cm or 18” 308 for deer. If I can’t find one I’ll probably go with a Kimber, but I like the older style trigger on the win more and the price for a donor Win is a lot less then a donor Kimber.

Ymmv. But I’d prefer Winchester over Kimber for a build.
I would also say that I’ve had 4 different Kimber Montana’s and they all shot great, but were hard to shoot.
Originally Posted by dale06
I owned a Kimber Montana in 270wsm. It shot poor groups before I sent it back to Kimber.
They did nothing but provided a three shot target at 1.25” and said it was in spec. It was a 50 yard group.

I have never owned a Kimber and after talking to a Kimber Rep at a big gun show several years ago, there is a second verse! I never will!!!!!
Finished mine up this morning. 6.66 pounds as shown. I think it gives a fieldcraft a run for its money let alone a kimber.

[Linked Image]
Nice!

Tell me about the rifle... is that the factory FWT contour, or is it a bit heavier?

Chambering?

Funny, I've thought about filling in the checkering on my McM Edge... I prefer a smooth stock.
Factory .308 classic stainless featherweight cut to 20”. I really like the filled checkering too. It was kind of a pain to do, but was worth it in the end.
Did you do the filling? Bondo?

What's your color pattern?
I did. I filled it with Devcon 10110. Color is woodland brown base with matte black and snow grey specks (duracoat).
I did. I filled it with Devcon 10110. Color is woodland brown base with matte black and snow grey specks (duracoat).

You do the painting yourself?
Yes. There’s a build thread in the gunsmithing section of snipershide.
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/lightweight-hunter-build.6906646/

That turned out really well. Nice job.

So bare rifle was about 5 pounds 14 oz?
Fantastic job man!
[Linked Image]
That's a nice rifle Jackalope.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/lightweight-hunter-build.6906646/

That turned out really well. Nice job.

So bare rifle was about 5 pounds 14 oz?

Thanks guys. My scale said 5.8 pounds before scope/rings so you’re pretty close.
Very nice rifle. Should pack very well.. I'm not even going to ask how it shoots, since you also did a write up at the hide. Probably glassbedded and fine tuned the trigger and good crown after barrel was cut. I can see it shooting very well...
Originally Posted by dale06

I had a similar experience with Kimber. A Classic .308 had a tight spot 2" from the muzzle that I could see with the Hawkeye, feel with a patch. I would shoot 1 1/2" at best. Kimber said that was w/i their spec. Well, not mine, not with a .308. A slightly heavier Broughton 5C barrel turned it into a half inch tack driver. The slightly heavier barrel shifted weight forward. Still light, but balances better. I had gotten the gun used for a good price, so the Broughton didn't put me under water regarding value. I could sell it and recover costs.

Now regarding the .300 WM. Before building an ultra light .300 WM, you may need to shoot one before spending a bunch of money on something you may not like. I traded for an Ed Brown Damara .300 WM. Ed developed the 704 action, which is a CRF round bolt, pretty neat design. Ed said his light barreled magnums (Damara) shot better with a brake, so all his magnum Damaras had a muzzle brake. I'm not much of a muzzle brake fan, but after shooting this one a time or two without it, didn't take long to put it back on.

The McM made stock is identical to their Hunters Edge, Ed's paint pattern is proprietary and the gun came equipped with a Jewell trigger. I've heard he used Shilen Match barrels and finished these rifles with one of his proprietary coatings. LAW bought the 704 design and Ed's tooling when he dropped his rifle line. I don't know if their guns are quite up to what Ed built. I hear reports both ways.

This gun with the heavy Victory scope is 8#'s 7 oz, but carries well and doesn't feel that heavy. Without the 20 oz scope it's an ounce or two over 7#'s. I would not want a lighter 300 WM. To me, the Victory is worth the extra weight.

IMO and IME.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My 308 M70 Fwt - 1996 prodution. 2-7x33 LRD on top in Talley X-Lows:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With its previous 6x36 in Weavers:

[Linked Image]
Now, I could really like that one... cool

DF
© 24hourcampfire