Home
Was at my gun club yesterday, they had a hardly fired, like new 700 BDL, .270 on consignment. Funny, back where I started in 1969. I bought it for $575.

Gun was made in 1995, so it has old style (the good one) trigger set at an atrocious 5lbs. I cleaned it up, barrel is pristine. Looks brand new. I'm shooting it today, If it shows accuracy promise, I will leave it alone and use it as a back up or loaner rifle.

OR, I'll buy a #3 Bartlien, Trigger, bed it and have a new rifle. The wood stock is very pretty except for the shiny poly finish, so I can live with it.

QUESTION, with the long action and .270 bolt face, caliber choices are many. What should I get>>>???

1. leave it .270, faster twist
2. 6.5 PRC
3. .22 Creedmoor
4. 6,5-284
5. 7mm-08
6. ???????
I rebarreled my 270 to a 30-06 and couldn't be happier.
My opinion would be that if it shoots good, leave it alone. If I were to rebarrel, I would go with a 6.5x55. You are fixin to swamped with favorite caliber suggestions. smile
Phil
6.5/270 if you have to have a new barrel.
If it shot good, looked good, I'd probably leave it as is.

Those old Walker triggers can be tuned to perfection. You can replace it, but you don't have to.

Just don't broadcast on the Fire that you like, shoot, or have a .270... blush

Lest your manhood be questioned... wink

Those stories of .270 bullets bouncing off are way over stated.

DF
I'd shoot it and bed it if necessary. Lots of good 270 bullets out there today. The 110TTSX can be driven really fast and new powders like RL26 can move the 140-150gr stuff at impressive speeds.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If it shot good, looked good, I'd probably leave it as is.

Those old Walker triggers can be tuned to perfection. You can replace it, but you don't have to.

Just don't broadcast on the Fire that you like, shoot, or have a .270... blush

Lest your manhood be questioned... wink

Those stories of .270 bullets bouncing off are way over stated.

DF

Yep,I bet it shoots. I would clean it good with a good copper and carbon solvent,and shoot it. I bet it will be easy to find a under MOA load.
Adjust trigger, bed action, free float barrel. More than likely you'll have a sub-moa rifle in a very practical cartridge.
Bald Hunter, Jpro is dead nuts.

110g tipped tripple shock with Win 760 shoots very small groups around 3400 fps, same bullet with R#17 is 3350, very small groups. Deer do not stop this bullet. Very flat shooting at 300 yards!

Bed the Rifle, freefloat the barrel, tune the trigger, done!

150g Nosler long range accubond with a hot load of Reloader 26 and a federal 210 is 3100-3150.

I have the exact same gun as you just bought!
Originally Posted by keith
Bald Hunter, Jpro is dead nuts.

110g tipped tripple shock with Win 760 shoots very small groups around 3400 fps, same bullet with R#17 is 3350, very small groups. Deer do not stop this bullet. Very flat shooting at 300 yards!

Bed the Rifle, freefloat the barrel, tune the trigger, done!

150g Nosler long range accubond with a hot load of Reloader 26 and a federal 210 is 3100-3150.

I have the exact same gun as you just bought!

I like light monos, magnum speeds in a conventional round. Have been shooting 130's in my '06's. They really smack WT deer and hogs. And, 3,100 fps doesn't hurt.

Keith is giving you some sound advice.

You can make a .270 do about anything you want with the latest powders and bullets. It's a different world, not your grandfathers deer rifle.

DF
If you're going to rebarrel it, the long action 700 is made for the 280 or 280AI.
85s at 3800+ turn the 270 into a 220 Swift on steroids. 110 ttsxs at 3400 make for a flat shooting all around load. RE26 and heavies like the 145 eldx or even the 170 Berger (wouldn't be a bit surprised if your rifle will spin them) will stretch its legs. Standard 130/140/150s on top of 4831 for a no nonsense, time tested load. All with the ability to shoot cheap factory ammo that is designed for the cartridge's velocity window, that can be found in about any backwater town. The 270 is an absolutely superb round.

Also, most of your choices for other rounds really won't work very well with the action. Action is too long to be ideal, or wrong bolt face. And the 6.5-284 won't add anything practical over what you have.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
And the 6.5-284 won't add anything practical over what you have.

And won't feed as well without some work.

DF

I’d leave it as a 270, impossible to improve upon perfection....
See how it shoots first. Take some 0000 steel wool and pumice to the finish then wax it but only buff it lightly.

The 270 Win. is perfection. I like the 270 WSM but it is not a huge step up from the Win. Some loads will do almost 250 fps faster while others are only about 50 fps faster. Add a longer barrel and the gap diminishes even more. A fast twist barrel would be interesting to shoot the 170 & 180 bullets. A longer barrel makes the Winchester a sort of belt less magnum. If I wanted more I would step up to the 270 Weatherby in a 1 - 7 twist barrel at about 26 inches.

The Rem. stock can be re-done nicely. I would see if RJ Renner would be willing to turn it into a proper looking stalking rifle with an antique finish. If the barrel was good I would stop there. I might have a Smith do the trigger as I botched the last trigger job from that era due to soft metal. The trigger Tech is a good hunting trigger as you can pour sand in it and it will still function, not so for a Jewell.

If you really wanted to be a looney you could do a 270 Screedmoor, but then you would have to hi jack every post to tell everyone how great it is.
sell it to me I will build a 6.5x284 norma
The 270 is optimal for 99%+ of us for 99%+ of the Big Game we hunt...

Originally Posted by Poconojack

I’d leave it as a 270, impossible to improve upon perfection....

Amen, they just keep working, almost a 100 years later.
I have a long barreled .270 on a 700 action.. The .25-06 on the same style has long been one of my three favorite calibers.. Lately I find the ,270 edging out my .25 of the middle caliber in my favorite three.. One thing I do plan to do is have some Accubonds loaded for elk hunting.. Not sure it will ever replace my old .300 as an elk round, but it is a great backup rifle..
For most of my hunting the.270 is fine, but I always take two rifles when I load the truck and more and more the .270 is in the truck..
Originally Posted by Brad

Well yes,but 280 gets you to 99.5% and 280 Ackley will make 99.9 easily. grin
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I already edged out those choices by adding + after the 99%... you're too late laugh
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I already edged out those choices by adding + after the 99%... you're too late laugh

Two years ago,I bought my daughter a rifle of her very own. She was 17 and it was Christmas. We went to
the local shop and tried about everything.

She picked a M700 BDL in 270. She said it just fit her the best. She is a 5'8'' college Cheerleader now and still loves
the rifle.

I have no plans to do anything to it,why spend money to screw it up?
grin
I'd say leave as is. I think putting a #3 Bartlein would add a pound or more to a Rem standard barrel contour. No thanks on that size tube. Figure a barrel costs $350 or so and smithing another $350 or so, that gets you to $1300. If it doesn't shoot great, sell it and buy a Fieldcraft.
I'd bed it, not for the accuracy improvement, but to stabilize it when the weather changes. Then I'd zero it for a fast 130-grain Partition handload and leave it alone.

There's a reason that most every maker sells a 30-06 or 270 that's a lot like the Remington 700 BDL or Winchester Model 70--they just plain work.

Okie John
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
If you're going to rebarrel it, the long action 700 is made for the 280 or 280AI.

My choice would probably be .280AI. .35 Whelen would be a consideration. Or possibly a .240 Weatherby. I did that once and though it didn't work out as well as I hoped,, I think the idea is good for a long action 700 with a standard bolt face.

Tom
25/06
Go big: 375 in some flavor, eg H&H. The world will be your oyster!
With the reported 3000 fps with RL 26 and a premium 150 gr bullet. in the .270 Win, what game animal short of grizz would you be undergunned? If it shoots, I would roll .270
Another vote to leave it as a .270 ...
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
Was at my gun club yesterday, they had a hardly fired, like new 700 BDL, .270 on consignment. Funny, back where I started in 1969. I bought it for $575.

Gun was made in 1995, so it has old style (the good one) trigger set at an atrocious 5lbs. I cleaned it up, barrel is pristine. Looks brand new. I'm shooting it today, If it shows accuracy promise, I will leave it alone and use it as a back up or loaner rifle.

OR, I'll buy a #3 Bartlien, Trigger, bed it and have a new rifle. The wood stock is very pretty except for the shiny poly finish, so I can live with it.

QUESTION, with the long action and .270 bolt face, caliber choices are many. What should I get>>>???

2. 6.5 PRC
3. .22 Creedmoor
4. 6,5-284
5. 7mm-08
6. ???????

If you switch the barrel out a Bartlein 2b would be a better contour!
6.5-06

2. 6.5 PRC
3. .22 Creedmoor
4. 6,5-284
5. 7mm-08
6. ???????

Not sure the 6.5PRC would be an option unless you want to open the bolt face up.

280 Rem or 280AI would be other caliber options.
Be different and do a 6.5-06!! Opens up a whole new world of bullets over the 270. Additionally, it's a breeze to load for and will cycle flawlessly with zero mods.
OR, I'll buy a #3 Bartlien, Trigger, bed it and have a new rifle. The wood stock is very pretty except for the shiny poly finish, so I can live with it

You could accomplish this route for $200 less than your current investment. Find a true donor action thats less than pristine. Never owned a 270 700 that would not shoot. Seems a shame to dismantle the purty rifle. At the very least someone else may want it as is.

PTG is offering 700 actions. 1 pce Sprial fluted bolt with M16 extractor for similar money. If you want a project.... All up to you. I would pick a bullet as said above and move on with life with my 270.

W
Update:

I ordered a Trigger Tech Special

My 100yard range was closed cuz of flooding and was bad, so shot it at 50 yards, 3/4" with American Whitetail 130gr. The scope on it is awful, so I ordered a new Leupold Freedom 2-12X40, inexpensive but has great reviews.

Once I get the trigger , scope mounted and the front sight removed (it had no rear sight). I'll shoot it at 100, and go from there. I'll try and remember to get some pics too.

Who strips these stocks and does oil finishes? Does this look good or like crap?
I recently had a Rem 700 270 rebarreled to 240 weatherby.
how about the 6.5x30-06 seems to be some good info on this caliber and brass is easy to come by. One time through the sizing die and you are ready to shoot
280 Remington
I'd recommend keeping the 270 Win, but depends on your field/hunting preferences. However if you want a real jewel and reload I'd step it down to a 6mm-06 w/ 1-7.5 twist and 26"barrel. A light recoiling and superbly potent laser beam is always valuable in the bean field.

2. 6.5 PRC
3. .22 Creedmoor
4. 6,5-284
5. 7mm-08
6. ???????

The world is your oyster.
I'd consider leaving it a .270 but I'd run it through its paces before rebarreling. I could like the 6.5x284 too but you only have to please you.

If you want to retube with a #3 Bartlein and plan on using the original stock, you best plan on doing some serious hogging to the barrel channel. laugh
I used to shoot both a 270 Winchester & 270 AI in a 15” Encore handgun. The 270 did 2850 with 130’s. The AI did 2950 with 130’s. Both were great, fun shooters that I SHOULD have kept.
Why not a 1:8" 280?

I was going to get a fast 270 as the OP mentioned but had all the loading kit for 280 so decided that was a better choice for heavier bullet selection.
6.5/06

140g Berger Hunting or 142g Nosler long range Accubond at 3150 using R#26 if you upgrade
Either 8 twist 270 Win or 6mm-06
Uh 338-06 and go whack whatever.
6.5-06. My6.5-06 24" bbl. Hornady 129 gr bonded, 3150 FPS. 120gr Barnes TSX 3277 FPS. Plentiful, inexpensive available new or once fired brass. I use once fired 25-06 brass. Run brass thru a 6.5-06 FL sizer & load.. Any game a 270 will take with a 130gr bullet the 6.5 will do with a 120gr. Barnes 120gr TSX takes elk with no problem. No feeding problems. Will do any thing a 6.5x284 or 6.5PRC with do with readily available & less expensive brass. A joy to shoot...
At the price you paid (fair price for a nice rifle) I would be hesitant to use it as a donor. Most of my donors are from rifles that I bought dirt cheap so I didn't feel so bad putting money into them.

I love the '06 based cases and the 700 is a great platform.

One of my favorite project rifles right now is my 6mm/06 with a 25" 1:9 #3 Bartlein. It pushes the 105 Berger at 3300-3400 which is deadly on deer sized game and smaller. I built it for long range coyotes but have probably killed as many deer and antelope with it than coyotes.

[Linked Image]

I also have a 6.5/280 AI in the works right now. It is also a Rem 700 with a #3 Brux that I hope to run 140s around 3100. It doesn't offer a lot of benefit over the 6.5-06 but with factory .280 ai brass available it is an easy wildcat and should have some performance gain. If nothing else brass shouldn't need much trimming.

Another project I recently completed that might be of interest is a .257 Roberts AI. It is clearly in the "interesting but doesn't do much a standard cartridge won't" category. Performance is on the bottom end of the .25/06 range but it is a light recoiling rifle that seems tailor made for deer sized game at reasonable ranges. Mine is a model 70 but a long action 700 gives you lots of room to seat whatever bullet you want. Mine feeds well from a .30-06 donor with no modifications.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If I didn't have a 6mm/06 and a 6.5/280AI I would have just done a .25/06 or the AI version but I always worry about someone jamming the wrong cartridge in the wrong gun since my wildcats aren't head stamped properly.

Another simple option would be to send your .270 to JES to get rebored. For around $250 you could have a nice .338-06 or .35 Whelen. He did my Ruger. He was fast and the rifle shoots well. I shoot 158 grain pistol bullets over Trailboss for .357 Magnum rifle type performance. Works great for cheap plinking. I shoot 225 sierra for deer and have shot 225 TSXs which should work for anything with a heartbeat.
© 24hourcampfire