Home
Posted By: dale06 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18

Anyone made a 223 ackley improved from a Rem 700 in 223?
If so, was it necessary to make any modifications to make it feed properly from the magazine?
Thanks
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
Nope
Posted By: irfubar Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
After years of reading here how great the 223 AI is in the Rem 700 I decided to build one. What a mistake, the feeding is glitchy, the firing pin hole is to large and I cant get above average 223 velocity.
Why did you have the firing pin hole enlarged?

You can get above, but it's not dramatic. Not trimming 837 cases is nice.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I thought that was one of the 82 trick moves to make it shoot.... ha ha

Seriously though, the primers creep back into the firing pin hole and some primers are pierced with half a grain above standard 223 loads. And I am getting virtually no velocity increase?
And maybe a third of the time rounds hang up feeding.
My next move is to send it off to have the firing pin bushed . An extra $100.00 geez
At least the bolt handle hasn't fallen off yet....... wink
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
Originally Posted by dale06

If so, was it necessary to make any modifications to make it feed properly from the magazine?
Thanks

Had three built on 700 actions. The only way I found to get them to feed really well was through the use of AICS mags.
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I thought that was one of the 82 trick moves to make it shoot.... ha ha

Seriously though, the primers creep back into the firing pin hole and some primers are pierced with half a grain above standard 223 loads. And I am getting virtually no velocity increase?
And maybe a third of the time rounds hang up feeding.
My next move is to send it off to have the firing pin bushed . An extra $100.00 geez

Not sure who did the work. Guess I've been lucky, four 223AI's and no problems.
I can see the merits of it otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Sometimes things don't work out as planned.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
As far as the bolt bushing thing - I've taken to having all Remington 700s bushed.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
irfubar

what's the problem w/ the feeding?

David
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
I've got 2 built on 700s and they have fed fine.

One did need the firing pin brushed, but I knew that from the doner 223 , it would crater bad even with factory ammo
David,
The feeding problem isn't bad, a few rounds hang up , they do feed just not as smooth as I like. I pulled the barrel and beveled the back of the chamber and that seemed to help.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
Gotcha on the feeding.

In my limited experience it will be worth it to get the firing pin bushed. Hope you get it sorted.

David
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
There are a few tweaks that can help, depending on what/where the bind is. Sometimes more bevel helps, sometimes not. The nose of the bullet hits the top of the chamber while the case is still held by the lips and camming on the feed ramp or barrel. When it finally clears it’ll pop up. Try bending the box to release sooner or later depending on what it’s doing. You can also bevel the ejector if the rim is hitting it on its way up the bolt face. A cell phone camera on slow motion video mode helps see what’s going on. Sliding a fitted cylinder into a hole at an angle just doesn’t work as well.
Originally Posted by Shooter71
There are a few tweaks that can help, depending on what/where the bind is. Sometimes more bevel helps, sometimes not. The nose of the bullet hits the top of the chamber while the case is still held by the lips and camming on the feed ramp or barrel. When it finally clears it’ll pop up. Try bending the box to release sooner or later depending on what it’s doing. You can also bevel the ejector if the rim is hitting it on its way up the bolt face. A cell phone camera on slow motion video mode helps see what’s going on. Sliding a fitted cylinder into a hole at an angle just doesn’t work as well.

That is good info. Thank you
Posted By: Jackalope Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
Originally Posted by Shooter71
Sliding a fitted cylinder into a hole at an angle just doesn’t work as well.

Story of my life.
Posted By: Sheister Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/25/18
Never had a problem with my 700 223AI. Barrel work was done by ITD and it has been flawless since I got it back quite some time ago. Velocities are well above .223 speeds and accuracy has been superb in mine. Might be something to bring up to the gunsmith when the work is done to be sure it is addressed while he has it on his bench to work on..

Bob
Posted By: ingwe Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/27/18

Thanks

Ive converted two of them to AI

No mods necessary..
Posted By: RHutch Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/27/18
I need to bush my bolt. Who is recommended?
Posted By: 257heaven Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/27/18
Got two here and they feed just fine. I modify the mag box for longer COL, but don't mess with anything else.
Originally Posted by RHutch

Send them to Gre-Tan.
Originally Posted by Sheister
Never had a problem with my 700 223AI. Barrel work was done by ITD and it has been flawless since I got it back quite some time ago. Velocities are well above .223 speeds and accuracy has been superb in mine. Might be something to bring up to the gunsmith when the work is done to be sure it is addressed while he has it on his bench to work on..

Bob

Wished IT&D was still doing business many times! He did a great job and inexpensive. I have a 223AI that he barreled and it shoots lights out!
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/27/18
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Send them to Gre-Tan.

+1
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/27/18
I'm going to switch actions and have my BRUX 1:8" 223 re-chambered to 22-250. Be easier than all the above. smile
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/27/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Send them to Gre-Tan.

+1

+2
Posted By: Nrut Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/27/18
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I'm going to switch actions and have my BRUX 1:8" 223 re-chambered to 22-250. Be easier than all the above. smile

Yeah but, even if you download your 22-250 to .223 AI speeds it still wouldn't be cool.. whistle
Posted By: ingwe Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/28/18
Originally Posted by Nrut

Yeah but, even if you download your 22-250 to .223 AI speeds it still wouldn't be cool.. whistle

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is that....
Posted By: Sheister Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/28/18

Tell you what, build the 223AI and get the 22-250 and see which one you are shooting most after a while. I have a 22-250 that is very accurate with 40g BT's and a 223AI with the same bullets and only a couple hundred feet slower. The 22-250 sits in the gun safe these days and the 223AI gets to stretch its legs on a regular basis.... your results may vary... wink

Bob
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/28/18

Tell you what, build the 223AI and get the 22-250 and see which one you are shooting most after a while. I have a 22-250 that is very accurate with 40g BT's and a 223AI with the same bullets and only a couple hundred feet slower. The 22-250 sits in the gun safe these days and the 223AI gets to stretch its legs on a regular basis.... your results may vary... wink

Bob

That may be true, but I'm thinking this rifle will be for deer anyway so not see a ton of use. I have a Tikka 223 Varmint for range blasting so all set there. Got all winter to ponder it. smile

I've been though a few wildcats in my younger yrs and pretty much done with that. Not really needing as much "cool" these days anyways. smile
Posted By: deflave Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/28/18
I built my son a .223 AI and it fed like schit. I would get it working again and it would go back to being fickle.

Re-tubed it to standard .223 and haven't looked back.
Posted By: Nrut Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/28/18

Bob

That may be true, but I'm thinking this rifle will be for deer anyway so not see a ton of use. I have a Tikka 223 Varmint for range blasting so all set there. Got all winter to ponder it. smile

I've been though a few wildcats in my younger yrs and pretty much done with that. Not really needing as much "cool" these days anyways. smile

Just pulling your leg SuperCub..
For hunting I also would favor a fast twist 22-250 or better yet a 22 Creedmoor if available..
Won't take a chance on a 700 in .223 AI due to the feeding problems some here seem to have..
Kimber maybe but not 700..
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/28/18

Bob

Just pulling your leg SuperCub..
For hunting I also would favor a fast twist 22-250 or better yet a 22 Creedmoor if available..
Won't take a chance on a 700 in .223 AI due to the feeding problems some here seem to have..
Kimber maybe but not 700..

I wouldn't let a few on the 'Fire scare you. More than a few here had to walk away from pussy cuzz they couldn't get that figured out either.

The retard factor is high. When your book case has binders full of shot targets, you've forgotten about pussy.
Posted By: Nrut Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/28/18
Deep...
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/28/18
I have a Model Seven that was a little finicky on feeding AI'd rounds...but it was kinda touchy with regular as well. If you reference the start at the start thread a lot can be cleared up with little effort.

A few years ago I decided to give detachable mags a try. Had an ADL Manners stock that a .223AI rode in sent off, inletted, and returned. I still prefer a blind mag for carry, but the centerfeed mags cure a lot of ills and allow you to burn more powder per minute when you're killing steel.
Posted By: joejo Re: 223 AI feeding - 10/29/18
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I have a Model Seven that was a little finicky on feeding AI'd rounds...but it was kinda touchy with regular as well. If you reference the start at the start thread a lot can be cleared up with little effort.

A few years ago I decided to give detachable mags a try. Had an ADL Manners stock that a .223AI rode in sent off, inletted, and returned. I still prefer a blind mag for carry, but the centerfeed mags cure a lot of ills and allow you to burn more powder per minute when you're killing steel.

I agree that the center feed should help alot. I used a wyatts center feed mag box in a 6br 700 clone to get feeding issues sorted out.
Posted By: FVA Re: 223 AI feeding - 11/08/18
I've a model 7 done by GAP that doesn't feed well. They told me from the outset it was a some do, some don't proposition.
" Sliding a fitted cylinder into a hole at an angle just doesn’t work as well." is the issue.
That is the reason Holland has his own version with a touch of taper.
Centerfeed mags seem to be the no modification feeding solution.
Posted By: keith Re: 223 AI feeding - 11/10/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Thanks

Had three built on 700 actions. The only way I found to get them to feed really well was through the use of AICS mags.

+1

Center feed mags are not an issue on

Tikka

otherwise mods are needed, none of my 700's will feed well with the AI, and I do not want to change the feed rails, as these are switch barrel rifles
Posted By: DLSguide Re: 223 AI feeding - 11/10/18
Why build a 223 AI. Just buy a 22-250 and enjoy life.
Posted By: keith Re: 223 AI feeding - 11/10/18
223 AI with 27" barrel=28g of H335 with 50g at 3800

22/250 with 27" barrel with 38g of Benchmark is 3900 fps(work up to your load in this!)

Figure 10g more powder with the 22/250

However the 22/250 will excel in spades in 69g bullets and heavier
Posted By: Sheister Re: 223 AI feeding - 11/10/18
If you've ever shot a 22-250 for a long day of chuck shooting or pdog hunting, then tried the 223AI, you would never shoot the 22-250 again unless your 223AI barrel got too hot to shoot for a little while. After a long day of chuck shooting prone with the 22-250 my shoulder would be pretty sore for a couple days. The 223AI is just enough difference to not bother me in the same environment. The specs above are real world specs also. I shoot 40 G BT's at around 3950 out of my 26" barrel, the 22-250 is only about 150 fps faster, same bullets.

Bob
© 24hourcampfire