Home
How, where, why, when did this insanity start?

A cut stainless sporter replacement barrel from one of the "major Wisconsin" barrel makers, NO can do..........

The proverbial forbidden fruit, The unicorn,

Insanity..............
Sorry you’re upset about it, but Why is this a big problem?

I don’t know why Kreiger or Bartlein, whichever you’re referring to, doesn’t do super light contours but there’s plenty of button blanks from places like Lilja or Benchmark for your pencil barrel needs. If I’m not mistaken, the point of using a cut blank over button is for precision, and barrel life. These are concerns for guys building match rifles, or custom varmint guns. Of course I would want a custom hunting rifle to be as accurate as possible but a #2 contour ultra light isn’t going to be a bench or match rifle anyway, and how many rounds will you be shooting through a big game hunting rifle per year really?
I’ve got a cut rifled Rock Creek #2 6.5mm 8 twist in my safe,so I’m guessing it can be done.
Brux does a #2 as well as Rock Creek.
Chip, we were typing at the same time!
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I’ve got a cut rifled Rock Creek #2 6.5mm 8 twist in my safe,so I’m guessing it can be done.

Stainless?
Originally Posted by Huntr

Where ya been?

Look up............
Originally Posted by Huntr

Again, Stainless?
The on-line order form for Brux does not give the option for Stainless contour under #3....
I have at least one, possibly two Brux #2 stainless & two Mountain rifle dupes from Rock Creek, along with a #2 from them as well
Call them up
Kenneth,
Call them. I am staring a a SS #2 blank from them as i type this, ordered it no problem.

Just havent been on here as much, how have you been?
A cut rifle barrel last longer? Did you glean that from the "Internet" or can you refer me to a scientific paper on it?
Originally Posted by Kenneth
How, where, why, when did this insanity start?

Kreiger started that stupid crap because they got it in their head that stainless would fail at low temperatures, despite there never having been a case of it happening. Bartlein was started by guys that used to work at Kreiger so they brought that idea over with them. I'm not sure why Brux followed suit, they haven't been around that long.

I've got a Bartlein #2 in 6.5mm, I had to call Frank and plead to get them to make it for me, the first guy I talked to said no. I live in Mississippi and once the temp drops below 30F I'm inside the house. Worrying about how much cold a rifle barrel can take is right up there with what kind of snowmobile to buy on my list of worries.

Rock Creek has been the place to go for a light contour stainless barrel because I think they'll make you any contour. Mullerworks is a cut maker and they probably would too since he works with Rock Creek. Hawk Hill is another cut rifling maker and their website shows they'll make a #2 for calibers up to 6.5mm and a #3 up to 30 cal. Most of the button rifling makers will make any contour in stainless.

I personally think the cold weather thing is an excuse because they don't want to sell light barrels. Heavier barrels are easier to get to shoot well and they want to keep their reputation for accuracy intact. If someone puts a #1 contour on their 300 ultramag and it shoots poorly then it's blasted all over the internet that Kreiger makes crappy barrels and they don't want that.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
A cut rifle barrel last longer? Did you glean that from the "Internet" or can you refer me to a scientific paper on it?

You replied to the OP, but since neither Kenneth or anyone else besides me mention barrel lifeI assume your pissy reply is aimed at me Butch.

I didn’t say I have extensive experience that cut rifles last longer, or scientific evidence they perform better than button rifled blanks. Those claims are what one could gather from reading rifle forums, it’s what “they say”. But that bit of internet “knowledge”, right or wrong wouldn’t influence me too much if I was selecting a blank for a build, I’d most likely go with what my riflesmith of choice recommended.

I only brought it up to suggest it seems there are lots of sources for light contour quality blanks other than said Wisconsin barrel maker that won’t do light SS contours...

Sorry to derail thread Kenneth, good luck finding what you want
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

No worries, open debate here, all in good clean fun....

Actually waiting for some insensitive meanie to call me a sissy girl that can't make simple decisions.

(eye roll)............
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've got a Bartlein #2 in 6.5mm, I had to call Frank and plead to get them to make it for me, the first guy I talked to said no.

Rock Creek has been the place to go for a light contour stainless barrel because I think they'll make you any contour.

Understood, I had called Rock creek maybe a year ago, asked about a sporter weight and if they could copy factory contours, they actually seemed offended by the question,
Now Chris says he has Rock duplicates of factory.
Bartlein also said no.
Go figure.
I just got through reading your other thread & see you're trying to dupe a factory contour. That adds another dimension because not all makers can do that. Some have old school lathes so they stick to their standard contours, others have CNC lathes with the factory specs programmed in so they just hit a button and it spits out a winchester profile barrel. Then you add in the ones with the silly rules about small contour stainless and it gets hard to find one. I'll throw out that while I generally tend towards cut barrels the most accurate rifles I've owned have had buttoned barrels and there are more button makers that'll dupe factory contours. If it came down to choosing between stainless/chrome moly and cut/buttoned rifling I'd pick the stainless buttoned barrel every time, I don't want a chrome moly barrel on anything.

I also see you're building on a M70. You mentioned you're in or near Wisconsin so I'd call Randy Gregory at Accuracy Unlimited in Medford WI. He's a M70 guru and can steer you the right direction. I'd personally rather have a gunsmith fit the barrel than the barrel maker, especially one that knows M70's like Randy. With the barrel maker you don't really know who's doing the gunsmithing, he might or might not be good with the action you're barreling.
I just got through reading your other thread & see you're trying to dupe a factory contour. That adds another dimension because not all makers can do that. Some have old school lathes so they stick to their standard contours, others have CNC lathes with the factory specs programmed in so they just hit a button and it spits out a winchester profile barrel. Then you add in the ones with the silly rules about small contour stainless and it gets hard to find one. I'll throw out that while I generally tend towards cut barrels the most accurate rifles I've owned have had buttoned barrels and there are more button makers that'll dupe factory contours. If it came down to choosing between stainless/chrome moly and cut/buttoned rifling I'd pick the stainless buttoned barrel every time, I don't want a chrome moly barrel on anything.

I also see you're building on a M70. You mentioned you're in or near Wisconsin so I'd call Randy Gregory at Accuracy Unlimited in Medford WI. He's a M70 guru and can steer you the right direction. I'd personally rather have a gunsmith fit the barrel than the barrel maker, especially one that knows M70's like Randy. With the barrel maker you don't really know who's doing the gunsmithing, he might or might not be good with the action you're barreling.

Crow Hunter, I see Accuracy International makes their own cut rifle barrels, or at least they give the impression they make their own.

Have you ever used one? Thoughts?
Have Mullerworks cut rifled barrels in Winchester Featherweight, #1 and #2 contours....none have tried to kill me yet.
Theres factors like steel used, caliber and reamer design play alot more to do with barrel life than cut or button.

You replied to the OP, but since neither Kenneth or anyone else besides me mention barrel lifeI assume your pissy reply is aimed at me Butch.

I didn’t say I have extensive experience that cut rifles last longer, or scientific evidence they perform better than button rifled blanks. Those claims are what one could gather from reading rifle forums, it’s what “they say”. But that bit of internet “knowledge”, right or wrong wouldn’t influence me too much if I was selecting a blank for a build, I’d most likely go with what my riflesmith of choice recommended.

I only brought it up to suggest it seems there are lots of sources for light contour quality blanks other than said Wisconsin barrel maker that won’t do light SS contours...

I guess I got your goat. Not my intent, just wanting to know why you would say that.
Anyway, Douglas was the only maker that would make a 28" pencil blank for my Ti 280AI.
Them there cut-rifled barrels are ALWAYS more accurate.....another drink of beer....ALWAYS!!

Happy Turkey Day!!!
Kreiger started that stupid crap because they got it in their head that stainless would fail at low temperatures, despite there never having been a case of it happening. Bartlein was started by guys that used to work at Kreiger so they brought that idea over with them. I'm not sure why Brux followed suit, they haven't been around that long.

I've got a Bartlein #2 in 6.5mm, I had to call Frank and plead to get them to make it for me, the first guy I talked to said no. I live in Mississippi and once the temp drops below 30F I'm inside the house. Worrying about how much cold a rifle barrel can take is right up there with what kind of snowmobile to buy on my list of worries.

Rock Creek has been the place to go for a light contour stainless barrel because I think they'll make you any contour. Mullerworks is a cut maker and they probably would too since he works with Rock Creek. Hawk Hill is another cut rifling maker and their website shows they'll make a #2 for calibers up to 6.5mm and a #3 up to 30 cal. Most of the button rifling makers will make any contour in stainless.

I personally think the cold weather thing is an excuse because they don't want to sell light barrels. Heavier barrels are easier to get to shoot well and they want to keep their reputation for accuracy intact. If someone puts a #1 contour on their 300 ultramag and it shoots poorly then it's blasted all over the internet that Kreiger makes crappy barrels and they don't want that.

A while back, I called Boots Obermeyer for one thing and ended up talking with him about a bunch of things. One of them was cold embrittlement of 416R stainless steel barrels. Apparently there were a few cases of barrels failing in extremely cold weather. The post mortem analysis led to some barrel makers decided that they would not produce thin barrels in 416R (most notably Jack Krieger). I would guess it's just risk mitigation. It wasn't even a cut rifled barrel that failed! I sympathize with them...as a barrel maker, you cannot predict in what conditions your barrels will ultimately be used in. I might tell them I live in Hawaii and have no intention of hunting in cold weather, but at some point I might sell the rifle to someone in North Dakota, and the barrel maker gets tagged with the potential failure. Krieger will sell you thin contours in 4140 or whatever CM they're using these days, so I don't think it's a profit margin thing. Obermeyer was the old grandpa of barrel makers, with pretty much everyone doing single point cut rifling tracing a direct lineage back to him; Jack Krieger, Mike Rock, Muller, Geoff Kolbe, so I trust what he says.

Regarding barrel life; cut vs buttoned. Frank White of Compass Lake Engineering provides barrels to shooters in my game, Service Rifle competition. Frank's observation is that the Cut Rifled Kriegers provide about twice the accurate life of the Buttoned barrels in this particular use. To be more specific, the Kriegers he was selling provided double the round life shooting 10 shot (maybe 20 shot) MOA out to 600 yards with 224 heavies than the Douglas buttoned barrels in his and his customer's experiences. When I first became aware of this observation he was selling Kriegers and Douglas. This statement has persisted through different brands of cut and buttoned barrels.

I guess I got your goat. Not my intent, just wanting to know why you would say that.
Anyway, Douglas was the only maker that would make a 28" pencil blank for my Ti 280AI.

No problem at all sir. Like Kenneth said, open discussion, all in good fun etc. Happy Thanksgiving
Rock Creek #2, stainless.

[Linked Image]
Joel, what type of finish is on there?

Did they copy the factory contour for you?

A Rock creek #2 actually appears to be a true featherweight contour,

If they wouldn't copy at .800 and .600,

their #3 is .815 and .625........Which would not be a problem for me.
Originally Posted by Brad

Crow Hunter, I see Accuracy International makes their own cut rifle barrels, or at least they give the impression they make their own.

Brad,
I haven't used one of his barrels. I had him do a M70 with a Brux barrel several years ago. I think he's only set up to make 30 cal barrels and I haven't heard any reports on them. Sorry I don't have more info.
Originally Posted by Brad

Brad,
I haven't used one of his barrels. I had him do a M70 with a Brux barrel several years ago. I think he's only set up to make 30 cal barrels and I haven't heard any reports on them. Sorry I don't have more info.

AI used to spec their barrels through Bartlein.
Originally Posted by ChrisF

A while back, I called Boots Obermeyer for one thing and ended up talking with him about a bunch of things. One of them was cold embrittlement of 416R stainless steel barrels. Apparently there were a few cases of barrels failing in extremely cold weather.

Chris,
The only ones I'm aware of were a batch of Sako and Tikka barrels that had some fail and that was traced to bad metallurgy from the steel mill. They happened to be stainless but it was the substandard steel, not the stainless part that was the problem. I'm not a metallurgist or a barrel maker so my expertise on it stops there.

There are tens of thousands of stainless M7 remingtons and M700 mountain rifles with pencil thin barrels running around in cold weather and they're not blowing up. There were also a bunch of stainless M70 featherweights built and they're not blowing up. Hart, douglas, pac-nor, Lilja, etc have made a bunch of skinny stainless barrels and I've yet to hear of one failure in cold weather. Anything can fail if stressed enough but from a layman's perspective the overwhelming evidence from the decades they've been on the market is that skinny stainless barrels in cold weather aren't a problem.

These makers are free to set their own rules and we're free to purchase from someone else who will make what we want. In my admittedly non-expert opinion it's a solution in search of a problem.
Kenneth,

Happy Thanksgiving! Sorry, didn't see your post yet!

It's a Cerakote finish, Graphite Black color.

I ran down and measured, it's about 0.800 6 inches in front of the receiver and 0.620 at the muzzle (24 inches). When I got it I noted it was a smidge bigger than their advertised #2, but it fit the stock well and it shoots damn lights out.

I'm confident they would make a particular contour for you if desired.

I think another cut rifled maker that will make skinny barrels is Peterson Rifle Barrels out of Arizona. No first hand experience with them.

v/r
Joel
Originally Posted by ChrisF

A while back, I called Boots Obermeyer for one thing and ended up talking with him about a bunch of things. One of them was cold embrittlement of 416R stainless steel barrels. Apparently there were a few cases of barrels failing in extremely cold weather. The post mortem analysis led to some barrel makers decided that they would not produce thin barrels in 416R (most notably Jack Krieger). I would guess it's just risk mitigation. It wasn't even a cut rifled barrel that failed! I sympathize with them...as a barrel maker, you cannot predict in what conditions your barrels will ultimately be used in. I might tell them I live in Hawaii and have no intention of hunting in cold weather, but at some point I might sell the rifle to someone in North Dakota, and the barrel maker gets tagged with the potential failure. Krieger will sell you thin contours in 4140 or whatever CM they're using these days, so I don't think it's a profit margin thing. Obermeyer was the old grandpa of barrel makers, with pretty much everyone doing single point cut rifling tracing a direct lineage back to him; Jack Krieger, Mike Rock, Muller, Geoff Kolbe, so I trust what he says.

Regarding barrel life; cut vs buttoned. Frank White of Compass Lake Engineering provides barrels to shooters in my game, Service Rifle competition. Frank's observation is that the Cut Rifled Kriegers provide about twice the accurate life of the Buttoned barrels in this particular use. To be more specific, the Kriegers he was selling provided double the round life shooting 10 shot (maybe 20 shot) MOA out to 600 yards with 224 heavies than the Douglas buttoned barrels in his and his customer's experiences. When I first became aware of this observation he was selling Kriegers and Douglas. This statement has persisted through different brands of cut and buttoned barrels.

Chrisf, what type barrels have produced the winners the last say 3 years at Perry? I know Frank is pretty good, but I know others in his class that disagree.
Those claims are what one could gather from reading rifle forums, it’s what “they say”.

Forums say it probably because CR barrel makers say it...

from Bartlein FAQs;

Do cut rifled barrels last longer than button rifled barrels?

'In our opinion and many others both experienced shooters and even people who use ammunition test barrels the answer is yes'.
Chrisf, what type barrels have produced the winners the last say 3 years at Perry? I know Frank is pretty good, but I know others in his class that disagree.

Winning at Perry is not the question on the table...and not the same as length of accurate life.

...however, to answer your question; the winning barrel at Perry for the last 10 years have been whatever the AMU is shooting. ...and by all accounts that would include both cut and buttoned rifling. When the Marines were fielding a competitive team that would exchange wins with the Army, they were shooting Kriegers.

Earlier you had asked if there were any studies or authoritative words on the statement on the longevity of Cut vs Buttoned. Sadly, I think we'd in the sporting world would be hard pressed to find someone that did the work that you're asking for. If you think about it, the arsenals are probably the only entities with the motivation and resources to do this kind of work. Cut and button rifling are in the domain of small, boutique production in that sense. If the work was done, it was probably comparing broach, hammer forging and other high production volume barrel manufacturing.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Stainless?

Yes sir
I had a SS #3 Rock Creek was one of my favorites at the time, using Bartlien 2b lately both very good barrels!
Looking at 2 Rock Creek SS barrels now. One is a Rem Mountain Rifle dupe in 25-204. Other is a #2 in 250AI.
H.S Precision has Stainless cut rifled blanks in very light contours and fluted if you want.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Looking at 2 Rock Creek SS barrels now. One is a Rem Mountain Rifle dupe in 25-204. Other is a #2 in 250AI.

Apparently, There was a personal change at Rock a while back, I wonder if that was the jackwad that I had talked to,

You guys that had these stainless #2's and Mountain rifle 'dupes' made at Rock, About how long ago?

Those who had factory contours duplicated, did you need to send the barrel in?

I tried calling all 3 major players in this area yesterday, all closed for the Holiday.
With the application being a hunting rig.....why the insistence on a cut rifled barrel?

Apparently, There was a personal change at Rock a while back, I wonder if that was the jackwad that I had talked to,

You guys that had these stainless #2's and Mountain rifle 'dupes' made at Rock, About how long ago?

Those who had factory contours duplicated, did you need to send the barrel in?

I tried calling all 3 major players in this area yesterday, all closed for the Holiday.

The #2 I have was a more recent production after the new ownership. I don’t see anything smaller than #3 on their ready to ship list. But they don’t normally have many ready to ship. I did not send a barrel in to duplicate. They should have all the factory contour specs already.

I have a few spare Rock std sporter blanks in different calibers that I’ve had for awhile.
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
With the application being a hunting rig.....why the insistence on a cut rifled barrel?

Why not?

Why not?

Well, for one reason....you're not considering some really good barrel mfgs. that make exactly what you're looking for. -Al

Why not?

Well, for one reason....you're not considering some really good barrel mfgs. that make exactly what you're looking for. -Al

Well, be specific then,
What am I missing?
Well, be specific then, What am I missing?

You must have a reason(s) for insisting on a cut rifled barrel. List them and their attributes relative to a buttoned barrel and we'll go from there.

Accuracy? Life? Fouling? Something else I'm missing for a hunting rig?

Thanks! -Al
People always use competition as the measuring stick for button vs cut. A good barrel is a good barrel I assure you there is one very good shooter who switched to a button barrel about a year ago. Theres more button barrels being used than you know.
Well, I don't know, How are factory barrels made? button or no?
I do know I currently have not a single cut barrel, Just would simply like to test the waters...
Seems like my wishes of a stainless, cut, #2 or factory contour is an option, so why not?
First thoughts were to drive to Bartlein, drop off an action, return in months to pick up. Seemed easy at the time.
Given the option of stainless over CM, yes, SS wins.

And lets reread my original post. never "insisted"It had be stainless, rather,
Was wondering how my Stainless barreled Winchester M70 '06 was available to the public,
but aftermarket barrel makes said no way.......

What I would like?
An accurate barrel that requires the least maintenance, A contour that closely resembles what I have now, love the balance as is, not really interested in any 'new' surprises,
A barrel that puts the first shot POA along with the next several consecutive shots, this one does not.
Least amount of grief, research, phone calls and shipping. Depending on what choices we make, Door to door could be 6 months to possibly a year

Cost, Don't even care to think what I've spent on this rifle, at this point just want it done to the best ability of all/any who work on it.
Originally Posted by sherm_61
People always use competition as the measuring stick for button vs cut. A good barrel is a good barrel I assure you there is one very good shooter who switched to a button barrel about a year ago. Theres more button barrels being used than you know.

You know how many tournament fishermen switched from Mercury to Evinrude?
They didn't catch any more or any less fish....

You know many World class Archers switched from Hoyt to Matthews or vice versa?

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.......

But if I'm investing another 1K into a rifle, can't I have it my way?

Sleep just seems to come easier that way.
It's your money spend it how you want, doesn't matter to me.
Okay....

Here's my 250 Ackley with a Hart #2 (buttoned):

[Linked Image]

Two of my 5 shot groups @ 100 with the BIB 88's.

[Linked Image]

The Sierra 87's, 100's, and Nosler 85's and 100's never go over 1/2" for 5 shots or over 3/8" for three.
I don't have anywhere near the experience with barrels as some who have commented. That said I have them and have had great pleasing results from Rock Krieger Bart Lilja and Pac Nor. I can't tell any difference between button and cut. One of the Bartliens seems to clean the best(even compared to other cut barrels from same and other makers) and the easiest no fuss just wildly accurate barrel has been a Lilja.

If I wanted a stainless barrel smaller than a Bart 2b I wouldn't think twice about calling Lilja.
Guys, I've known Al for several years. He is very knowledgeable and a Good guy. Trust his knowledge.
Your correct Kaleb the majority cant shoot the difference between good cut or button including me. People read stuff on the internet and swallow hook line and sinker. BR shooters dont tell the whole story of what equipment there using. The vast majority of us can just buy a barrel from a reputable company and be just fine. They ALL make a dud once in awhile.
I would be more concerned about who was chambering it than the barrel.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
and have had great pleasing results from Rock Krieger Bart Lilja and Pac Nor. I can't tell any difference between button and cut. One of the Bartliens seems to clean the best(even compared to other cut barrels from same and other makers) and the easiest no fuss just wildly accurate barrel has been a Lilja.

You just made my decision process so much not any easier........

Thanks?
Guys, I've known Al for several years. He is very knowledgeable and a Good guy. Trust his knowledge.

Ok, is Al the Gunsmith I'm actually looking for?
Butch you shoot competition I believe,
You about to tell me some epiphany?

It's cold windy and rainy here, 3 to 6 on the way.....
I have nothing else to do today but chat....

Ya, I'm that bored.
Originally Posted by sherm_61

I would be more concerned about who was chambering it than the barrel.

No doubt.

Ok, is Al the Gunsmith I'm actually looking for?
Butch you shoot competition I believe,
You about to tell me some epiphany?

It's cold windy and rainy here, 3 to 6 on the way.....
I have nothing else to do today but chat....

Ya, I'm that bored.

Kenneth, I don't know if Al does work for the public. If I didn't do my own I sure wouldn't worry about Al doing it for me. I'm using a Lederer cut rifle barrel on my BR rifle at this time in my PPC. I'm using a Rock Creek cut rifle in my 30BR varmint for score shooting. Now, James Lederer and Paul Volsted were working at Rock at that time. They left a few years ago. I mostly use Shilen and Douglas for my hunting rifles. My philosophy for a hunting rifle is a true less than a MOA shooter, cold, hot, clean, dirty, or whatever the rifle or weather condition happens to be. I'm not a range whore. I don't burn up barrels and components trying for the last .050" of accuracy. I'm not saying that living at the range is wrong, it just ain't my deal.
I'm just kinda glancing at a couple useless FB games and am bored.
I've had 4-5 Harts that shot really good,1 really good Rock Creek I have an older Broughton that is a laser, but my most consistent and easiest to work up loads for have been My Bartliens, these days Bartlien makes my decision process easy!
Rock #2 in 257, #2 in 6.5, #3 in 7mm and #3 in 338. all of them shoot better than me.
Wild question here but, What manufacturing process do the Major Gun company's use to make barrels,

button or other?

If anyone has talked to Rock lately, what was the estimated turnaround time?

Bartlien is still around 6 months.
Wild question here but, What manufacturing process do the Major Gun company's use to make barrels,

button or other?

If anyone has talked to Rock lately, what was the estimated turnaround time?

Bartlien is still around 6 months.

Most mfg. use hammer forged process to do their barrels.
Thanks for the nice words, Butch. Your own products and service speak volumes, as well.

My hunting rifles use Hart, Shilen, Lilja, Rock and Krieger. All have performed exceptionally well.

On my BR rigs, I drifted to the cut rifled barrels for the repeatable amount of a slight gain twist at the last two inches before the muzzle....the cut rifled process giving more control to that than the button process. -Al
Thanks for the nice words, Butch. Your own products and service speak volumes, as well.

My hunting rifles use Hart, Shilen, Lilja, Rock and Krieger. All have performed exceptionally well.

On my BR rigs, I drifted to the cut rifled barrels for the repeatable amount of a slight gain twist at the last two inches before the muzzle....the cut rifled process giving more control to that than the button process. -Al

What are the advantages to this gain in twist the last 2 inches before the muzzle?

Which barrel manufactures are doing this?
Did you call Rock yet?

What are the advantages to this gain in twist the last 2 inches before the muzzle?

Which barrel manufactures are doing this?

Kenneth, Bartlein does gain twist. Frank Green, Bartlein, did and 8 groove, LH twist, gaintwist RF barrel for me.
Did you call Rock yet?

Timely Question.
5 phone calls today, one person actually picked up, Brux. Also Brux did reply to last weeks email......
Here is the response in the email....
"The smallest we can do is # 3 medium sporter
Thank You,
Ken"

So much for Brux, has mentioned I also called them today, Talked to whoever and asked why they won't do a sporter weight stainless......"safety reasons"
Ok, scratch brux at this point.... He did ask what caliber, I replied .308 So maybe .277 is cool. .284 must be the red haired step child. .308 get the fug out welfare case....

Rock also reply by email.....
"Ken, we have a factory winchester profile on our CNC, I'm not sure if it
matches your barrel though as they have a few, we can copy yours for a
$50 fee, otherwise the smallest I'd recommend for a 300WSM would be a #3
sporter, which is .625"@24". We currently are running around 5 months
lead time."

Noteworthy, he did not say NO! Just recommended going heavier than I want to.....
We'll see what tomorrows email reply is.......
Also Called Hart, seems like he might be able to do it all, no answer, and I generally don't leave voice mails either, so tomorrow we be back at it.
Give Pac-Nor a call
Pac-Nor makes excellent barrels. Their .30 cal. stainless is available in a #2 contour. -Al
How you guys feel about Pac-nor doing barrel and chambering? They should be pretty good at it by now..........
Hart and Shilen are your one stop shops. Don't think pacnor does bedding, but I wouldn't hesitate to use their barrels or smith services.

If I were you, I'd order a Rock, Brux or Mullerworks in your Contour if they will dupe it, or their closest Contour to yours, then send it off to any good smith (I can suggest a bunch if you go that route) and have them adjust your barrel inlet, bedding, perfect the feeding, and Cerakote if desired. This is really very simple, don't over complicate things.
Originally Posted by jowens
Hart and Shilen are your one stop shops. Don't think pacnor does bedding, but I wouldn't hesitate to use their barrels or smith services.

If I were you, I'd order a Rock, Brux or Mullerworks in your Contour if they will dupe it, or their closest Contour to yours, then send it off to any good smith (I can suggest a bunch if you go that route) and have them adjust your barrel inlet, bedding, perfect the feeding, and Cerakote if desired. This is really very simple, don't over complicate things.

Not Shilen.

http://www.shilen.com/pricesServices.html
Today's update, 'cause I just know you all just filled with anticipation regarding my 'uge dilemma.......

Rock will duplicate my contour, but they want the barrel, (understandable), which means I need a smith to unthread before shipping, totally do-able......

Or, Also talked to Hart today, the Lady on the phone knew her stuff, I was impressed with that to be honest,

Anyway, I can send the rifle to Hart, 7 to 9 months later I should have my rifle back, all steps done by Hart......

Trust me, I could still complicate the issue, somehow?

But why would I........
Hart...
Does rock have a 30 cal Blank they can turn for you? They keep a good bit of blanks ready to contour from my experience with them. If so:

Shoot redneck here on the fire a PM and tell him what you want to do. Have him send your factory tube to rock, have a barrel in 2-3 weeks from rock if the Blank is in stock and only needs contouring and finishing, then whatever time redneck needs. He just chambered me a barrel, and Bedded it in record time.
Does rock have a 30 cal Blank they can turn for you? They keep a good bit of blanks ready to contour from my experience with them. If so:

I was told 5 months,,,, That's all the info I was given.....
Is it that Kreiger will not do stainless barrels with "cut rifling" less than #3 or do they not do any barrels in stainless less than #3? Their sister company, Criteron, produces very lightweight barrels for Weatherby Ultra Lightweights and those barrels are also fluted, but the are not cut rifled.
I haven't talked to Krieger....Not sure what their status is....On their website, stainless .308 starts with #5 (hell no)
CM anything goes including #2.......

Bartlein and Brux are similar, Stainless barrels need significantly more meat,,,CM, again anything goes.

I was told 5 months,,,, That's all the info I was given.....

Rock lists several barrels available in inventory on their facebook page.

Inventory on hand, these barrels are ready to be shipped or can be ready to ship the same day.
6mm:
#3 Sporter 9T-$280
1.25 for 2.5" taper to .825"@24", 25" blank 13.6T-$260ea

6.5mm:
AR15 Heavy(.975-.936-.905) Rifle length 8T 26" blank-$225

7mm:
#6 Sporter Fluted for 28" FL, 34" blank 8T-$405

308:
AR10 threaded for extension 11.27T 25"-$290
AR10 .750 gas block 11.27 25"-$265
#4.5 Sporter 12T Fluted for 15.5"Finish 20"blank-$355
#6 Sporter 10T-$280
AMU/MTU 8T 21"-$245
Light Palma 10T 28"-$285
#5 Sporter 1.250" Breech 10T Flute 28" Finish-$410
AMU/MTU 9T 31"-$325

338:
M24/M40 9.4T Left Hand 28"-$285
Heavy Palma(+) 9.5T 26.75"-$280
3-1.300 Straight CrMov 9.4T 28" blank-$280ea

These barrels are all match grade hand lapped cut rifled barrels. 27" length unless noted otherwise.
If you would like one of these or have any other questions please call the shop, 608-862-2357.
Thank You,
From the Team at Rock Creek Barrels.
Had a good chat with Bartlein, They simply will not make any SS barrel less than 2b dimensions.... This gentleman says it is all about liability, in the fact that he has personally seen SS barrel(s) that have been compromised in the colder weather,

I offered drinks, dinner and a reach-around,,,,,,,,#2 SS from Bartlein ain't happening.

Pac nor is 12 weeks out,

At this point, either send it to Pac Nor for everything including stripping the BlackT and reapply Cerakote,

Or send the original barrel to Rock for duplication, 5 months later send the stock, action and new barrel to Lee, he completes the metal work, then possibly back to Birdsong for new BlackT....
That’d be an easy choice for me. PN.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
That’d be an easy choice for me. PN.

x2

And I’d not have a single worry if it would shoot great.
I've had 1 rifle rebarreled by Pac Nor. They did a good job, and the barrel shoots well.

I wouldn't do it again (the same way). The rifle evidently had a crooked factory barrel first, and Pac Nor's barrel is straight. As a result the original bed job needed touched up, but I didn't know that until I got the barreled action back from Pac Nor, and I sent it off for a bedding touch up. I would now talk with Pac Nor and make sure they could touch up the bedding.

If they didn't work on bedding stuff I would send it to Lee. And just because I know he does exceptional work I would probably send it to Lee anyway.
Jeezus Fhuqking Gawdd...the OP's STUPIDITY is fhuqking Mind NUMBING!

Since her first Whining Post,I coulda had Greg on the horn,cited the make/twist of the spout which made me warmest/fuzziest and setting on his shelf,have him mail it directly to my Plumber,had it contoured how ever the fhuqk I wanted,installed and back to me...in a week total. I'da had the fhuqking thing half wore out by now!

I've got spouts by EVERY Manufacture thus far cited and more that ain't been mentioned yet,which were turned to my contour specs,from an obviously bigger contour. More than a few of which,were fluted to boot(both before and after). Hint.

I wouldn't order a fhuqking thing in this Day & Age...because it's already setting on a shelf,ready to roll. Would LOVE to see a video of her "sneaking up" on a glass of water,or trying to tie her own shoes! I'm fhuqking CRYIN',I'm Laffin' sooooooooooo fhuqking HARD!!!

Bless her heart.

Wow +P++!

Kudos to DUMB Fhuqks doing their best!

Laffin'!
Maybe I missed it, but best I can tell the OP would like a #2 contour, S/S, cut rifled .308 bore barrel?
yep.
Originally Posted by Boxer
Jeezus Fhuqking Gawdd...the OP's STUPIDITY is fhuqking Mind NUMBING!

Since her first Whining Post,I coulda had Greg on the horn,cited the make/twist of the spout which made me warmest/fuzziest and setting on his shelf,have him mail it directly to my Plumber,had it contoured how ever the fhuqk I wanted,installed and back to me...in a week total. I'da had the fhuqking thing half wore out by now!

I've got spouts by EVERY Manufacture thus far cited and more that ain't been mentioned yet,which were turned to my contour specs,from an obviously bigger contour. More than a few of which,were fluted to boot(both before and after). Hint.

I wouldn't order a fhuqking thing in this Day & Age...because it's already setting on a shelf,ready to roll. Would LOVE to see a video of her "sneaking up" on a glass of water,or trying to tie her own shoes! I'm fhuqking CRYIN',I'm Laffin' sooooooooooo fhuqking HARD!!!

Bless her heart.

Wow +P++!

Kudos to DUMB Fhuqks doing their best!

Laffin'!

oh whatever...........................
Pardon Reality,yet again colliding with your Fantasy. Congratulations?!?

Got purty quiet...didn't it?!? Hint.

There's a constant with gals like you and that's when it is all said and done,there will have been a fhuqk of a LOT more said...than done.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................
No worries, open debate here, all in good clean fun....

Actually waiting for some insensitive meanie to call me a sissy girl that can't make simple decisions.

(eye roll)............

stick, you're 10 days late....

slowing down?
It's your Imagination...Pretend with it as you MUST. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You're perpetual CLUELESSNESS,is never not Hilarious!

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............

Somebody let Lil Fish of the leash. laugh
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............

Somebody let Lil Fish of the leash. laugh

Them (3) letter words are fairly tough to spell. Congratulations?!?

Nothing is FUNNIER,than you TRYING to nip heels.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................
kinda thought I might deserve more of an original tongue lashing.....

Your standard copy and paste reply is fairly worn out,

You been using those same lines since '99, try to freshen it up a little.
Granted I am not much of a speller. frown
kinda thought I might deserve more of an original tongue lashing.....

Your standard copy and paste reply is fairly worn out,

You been using those same lines since '99, try to freshen it up a little.

What/why would it change? Your kchunt is still bolted squarely to the couch and you've yet to turn a lick. Congratulations?!?

There's a constant with gals like you and that's when it is all said and done,there will have been a fhuqk of a LOT more said...than done.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

When people call you, probably not looking for an English major.

Don't slight yourself...as you aren't much of anything. Congratulations?!?

Mebbe cite how many times a day you think about me,or mention my name.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!...............
It will get done, zero doubt there.....

Thanks for the help?

When people call you, probably not looking for an English major.

Queeneth,

You DO suck a mean ass...if only because it's the ONLY "move" you've "got". Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!............
Actually feeling honored here, getting all your attention.

Don't slight yourself...as you aren't much of anything. Congratulations?!?

Mebbe cite how many times a day you think about me,or mention my name.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!...............

Last count was 662 times per day when combining thinks and mentions. laugh

That would be an average as some days are better than others.

Name dropping Lil Fish has opened many doors. grin
John Squirms,

Just what sorta Goat Fhuqk(s) are you trying to unload upon the UNsuspecting,as per late,with your uncanny Ass Sucking Abilities? Congratulations?!?

No slighting your taste in men,nor how hard you fall...when in the throes of a Man Crush. I reckon when forced with the Reality of being you,Imagination and Pretend are the ONLY "moves" you've "got".

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............
John Squirms,

Just what sorta Goat Fhuqk(s) are you trying to unload upon the UNsuspecting,as per late,with your uncanny Ass Sucking Abilities? Congratulations?!?

No slighting your taste in men,nor how hard you fall...when in the throes of a Man Crush. I reckon when forced with the Reality of being you,Imagination and Pretend are the ONLY "moves" you've "got".

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

laugh

[Linked Image]
Cain't blame you for rattling your Pom-Pom's,while riding the bench. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

I have a Krieger #1 contour in 30 caliber. I called him and told him what I wanted. He asked me where I lived and where I was going to shoot it. He shipped me one the next day. Had it on the shelf. Hasn't blown up yet!
When did
Pig Dick get his one-a-day restriction lifted?

Won't be long until Daddy Rick has to slap his hand again.
Dealin'Suck,

The only "barrels" you "know" about,ain't germane to the conversation. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............
POS Fhuqking Krieger,from today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I LOVE deep blued finishes and luxurious oil finishes.

[Linked Image]

Laughing!...................
Ooops! Not quite zoomed in enough,for you Cross-eyed Droolers.

[Linked Image]

Your pictures are similar to your cliche's..
Repetitious.
Grandpa sugar tits. Oh! the mongoloids Family Blood line continues.

John never figured you to be a chubby chaser. LOL. You must have a drinking bet with someone.
Guys, Have at it........

This thread is done anyway.
Your Whine is incessant and you've yet to turn a lick. Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that you greedily read my every word and gawk my every Splendid Pixel,from the confines of your Couchbound Kchunt. What were the "odds"?!? Hint.

[Linked Image]

1000 words.

[Linked Image]

You Whining CLUELESS Kchunts are a hoot!

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............
Guys, Have at it........

This thread is done anyway.

Sweetheart...you never came even CLOSE to getting the ball rolling. All you've done is Whine and set with your thumb in your ass. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..................
👍
Keep it up.....
and I'll cancel our fishing trip.............
It's your Imagination,Pretend with it as you MUST.

I haven't caught a fish...since this morning.

[Linked Image]

Nor eaten it,since last night.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Laughing!..............
On this thread alone, stick has used the word, "laughing" just slightly less than CNN used the term,"Russian Collusion", during the election.
PLEASE find me "mistaken"...as I assure you the ramifications of that Delusion,will be funnier than fhuqk and yet again at your expense.

Hint.

Laughing!...........................

[Linked Image]

Most hurtful thing you've posted here,

sniff...........
My fingers are in your nose,leading you around as I please.

Tomorrow,you'll still be no closer to obtaining a barrel,that a Jerry Lewis Telethon could have in hand in a coupla days. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laughing!..............
[quote=Big Stick]My fingers are in your nose,leading you around as I please.

On the contrary.......

seems you cant leave this thread.
I've the lead and you are trying your best to keep pace...which is the ONLY reason,it's soooooooooo fhuqking FUNNY!

Only Queeneth THE Dumb Fhuqk,is stumped by a barrel. Congratulations?!?

Bart' #4 turned to Montucky,wearing reduced shank.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Laughing!...............
'Nother Bart' #4 turned same...6XC.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Laughing!..............
#7 Rock,turned same...223AI.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

PN dupe,shortened shank...7 Whizzum.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Laughing!..............
'Nother Bart' #4 turned same...6XC.

It's possibile this info could be useful,
Could someone translate ?

[Linked Image]

Nothing personal, but that rifle is hideous.
Brux #4 turned and reduced shank...270.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Brux #3,turned and reduced shank...Six Twat-Six.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint.

Mebbe a couple/few others too.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Muller #5,turned and shortened shank...6XC.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Laughing!...............
You Window Licking Do NOTHING Dumb Fhuqks are a hoot!

Bless your heart.

PN VS,turned and tapered shank...243AI.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Hawk Hill light turn,modest shank...264 Kreedmire.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Got purty quiet.

Be SURE to start more Threads,on ALL of the things you can't do,that are easy for everyone else.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Got purty quiet.

Be SURE to start more Threads,on ALL of the things you can't do,that are easy for everyone else.

things that are easy for everyone else?

That's where you got lost, thread was about why, all the major players you just mentioned, refuse to do.
Hmmmmmm...you AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqk,I guess all of the builds pictured/cited and in my mitts,don't "exist"...simply because you are too STUPID to know how? Congratulations?!?

Hint.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

How big is that fish? Heavier than the rifle
I'm sure I'll get called a do nothing kgunght or some version of it no doubt but I hope you get some help. Seems like you have a lot of talent that most here could learn from but aren't because of the deranged/ delusional nature of your posts. Dumpster fires that just drag post after post down.
Originally Posted by 65BR

[Linked Image]

Hint.

How big is that fish? Heavier than the rifle

Not much more than three-fold.

Fair sized Trout...............(grin)
LezzyV,

Sugar Tits! Your story is inspiring...crawling outta the dumpster and all. Congratulations?!?

You'd do well to simply shut the fhuqk up,take notes and apply same.

Hint.

Bless your heart...................
I thot those was smallmouth at first . Did you catch them on a mepps ? Purple nightcrawler works good to use to hooks tho
Them rifles not goin be worth nothing if you dont take care of them ,
SmallMouth are easy,because they hit Dry Flies.

[Linked Image]

I've never fretted using a Tool and it's prolly why my kchunt ain't bolted to the couch,like the rest of you gals.

Hint.

Hmmmmmm...you AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqk,I guess all of the builds pictured/cited and in my mitts,don't "exist"...simply because you are too STUPID to know how? Congratulations?!?

Hint.

I'll try this one more time, I'll even type real slowwwwwwwww,

You haven't posted a single pic of the contour, with the caliber in question, anywhere in this entire thread.....

Laughing?

The question is, was, a .30 cal mag in stainless sporter contour.....hint, re-hint, re-re--re hint.........

Guess i could post 30 pics if that would help your comprehension.

Thanks for the amusement.
Queeneth,

The long list of things beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension"...is simply hilarious! You needn't add clause(s).

Hint.

Bless your heart.

See how he I'd those rifles up?

That's what he does to brass also.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
See how he I'd those rifles up?

That's what he does to brass also.

Dealin'Suck,

You are in wayyyyyyyy over your head,along with your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Congratulations?!?

I see a "fair" amount of brass,in the course of things(understatement).

Hint.

Laughing!.....................
grin

You are so easy some would call you a whore.

We all know better.

No one would pay you, you're not worth it!

You're just a slut!

Dealin'Suck,

Justify your "means",however you must.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!....................
wink

Easy! wink
Imagination...ain't "real".

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................
grin
Dealin'Suck,

I'm "surprised",that Reality can't keep pace with your Imagination and Pretend. What were the "odds"?!?

Hint.

Laughing!.......................
sleep

All you got?

You aren't even worth much as a troll anymore!
Dealin'Suck,

I've "only" got a few hunnert barrels to extrapolate.

Be SURE to tell yourself,that which you most NEED to hear.

Hint.

🤡
Dealin'Suck,

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that you must plagiarize all replies...you "lucky" kchunt.

Hint.

Wannabe= frown

Me= grin
Dealin'Suck,

The LAST thing I'd wanna do,is steal the "satisfaction" of your Imagination and Pretend...if only because it's all you've "got". Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............
Stick, you sober today, or still talking Babylonian?
wink

Easy.
Be sure to shout if/when your kchunts leave the couch.

You "hard chargers" are a fhuqking HOOT!

Bless your hearts......................
Stay with me, don't leave now...... Only you and JeffO have the ability to turn average threads into legends.....

six twat six?
Only have (1) rifle so chambered.

Pardon Facts and Physics...sooooo reliably stumping you.

Bless your heart....................

🖕❤

🖕❤
© 24hourcampfire