Home
Pondering a build just for heavier bullet options...90-115?

1:8 or 1:7.5 or?

Grooves?

Thanks
I only run 105 Amax and VLDs so I get by with 8T.
No way I'd be building any 6mm these days slower than a 7 1/2 twist.
Yup.
I’d go straight 7 if it were me.
Never know what the future hold for bullets nowadays.
Would 1:7 over stress anything around 90? Is gain twist worth it? I just don’t envision shooting true varmint bullets, but even my ‘varmint’ hunting for totes, cats, and foxes would likely get 85gr at the lightest....more likely just whatever LR deer or target load I’m running. I don’t worry over pelts or shoot a lot of those. More concerned with a LR range/form work gun that’s a good medium/long deer/hog poker. Contour and length questions would be next, but I’m pondering 23-24 and #2/3...depending on weight....medium heavy spotter. Don’t want a 9-10# gun, but7-8 is right there.
You're not gaining anything with the 7 twist. It would be for bullets we don't even have yet. I can stabilize 115DTACs with an 8 twist.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
You're not gaining anything with the 7 twist. It would be for bullets we don't even have yet. I can stabilize 115DTACs with an 8 twist.

The 115 DTAC isn't ideally stabilized in all environmentals in an 8 twist.
Correct Jordan.
I’d rather be ready for a (hypothetical) 119gr ABLR, while giving up nothing, than be topped out at any current 105 hunting bullet. DTACS probably aren’t my best choice for hunting, but somebody should come along with something. Wish there were long 25s 😉
Why don't you just go with a 1:4 twist then.
Take a look at the Hammer bullets they recommend a 1-6 for their 110 VLD type bullet. In the 6mm AI the 115s will shoot in a 1-8 but I wonder if I am giving up much BC value or terminal performance by not having the optimal twist? David Tubbs I think shoots mostly 1-7.5" or 1-7.7" in the 6XC with the 115 DTAC though not sure what he is using now.

depends on your barrel builder........

don't over look the 6XC with a 7.5 or 8 twist......

much more barrel friendly........

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6xc/
Have killed a lot of critters with a 1x8 twist 6mm and 105 gr. Scenars, Rio7
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Pondering a build just for heavier bullet options...90-115?

1:8 or 1:7.5 or?

7.5 or 7. There are several 6mm bullets that need a 7 twist, the 110 sierra matchking and 115 berger vld require them according to the makers.

I recently put together a 6mm creedmoor using a 1:7 criterion barrel on a bighorn origin action. It's a hammer using the 105 berger hybrids I had sitting around.
This is just my opinion but I have been tinkering around with fast twist 6mm's for about 20 years and to me a 1-8" twist with 105-107gr bullets is just about right with a 5 or six groove barrel. faster twist, less grooves, heavier bullets, more velocity just make everything more tempermental and not necessarily better.
I shoot a standard 243 with a 22” 8 twist Douglas barrel and 105 Berger hunting bullets and have had excellent luck out to 1000 yards. I like the 105s at 2900 they do well. Heavier bullets would be cool but not sure anything heavier than a 105 in a 243 is needed.
Got a 7 on mine but think I would have been just fine with a 8 or 7.5. A 108 eld is all I will need to shoot due to their badazzness
I’m at 168 ft above sea level and the 7 will twist everything I can feed it.
Thanks for all the replies and insight

I’m not to sure about the hammer bullet suggestion, after I looked them over. Seems a 357 pistol bullet could have a better BC than what they tout. Might as well just shoot an 85 TTSX way faster. It probably has a better Bc. ???
The other question: if I stumbled on an 8 twist rig for a good deal, should I turn up my nose and build my own 7-7.5 twist, or just Rick it and see how heavy it’ll go?
If starting from scratch I'd do a 7 project 7.5 twist. but I wouldn't miss out on a good deal on an 8" twist.
My 243AI is an 8 twist and handles any 105 I've tried along with 108 ELDs.

If my heart were set on 115s I don't think I'd risk a 1 in 8".
I'd buy this one if I were in the market.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13420198/Searchpage/1/Main/905986/Words/%2B243+%2BAI/Search/true/re-rem-700-243ai-shilen-tanners-ol-rifle#Post13420198
Saw that and pondering it. My rationale for the 243AI was it seemed best combo of longish MPBR/point and shoot vs LR bullets for work past that vs on MED game vs recoil....but maybe it was faulty logic? Happens.
Your thought process makes sense to me. There is a lot to like about a 243AI.

you didn't mention it but if I were starting from scratch, without dies and brass, I'd pick up a nice 6mm creedmoor and never fireform the first piece of brass
While logical, I was thinking I could more readily find 243 off the shelf for plinking, and then have brass for my loads? 6CM just isn’t as common around here, not that it matters if I go AI, LOL. I also thought I’d be able to run a 243ai a good bit faster out of the gate? If I throw out the longer mpbr use for hunting speed on stuff at medium (0-350) range, I could just go 6 or 6.5 cm?

Overthinking is a pastime with me on some gun musings. Should probably just buy a 6.5cm and go shoot more. LOL
The 243 AI never made sense to me. Apologies to it's fans. It seems to be the long way around to 6mm Rem. performance and you still have the short neck and shorter barrel life. The 6 CM pretty much equals the standard 243 but with better barrel life and possibly better accuracy. The 243AI may do away with pressure excursion associated with the standard case. But these I have not noticed and it makes a convenient excuse for the flyers.

I would go with a 7.5 twist 6 Creed if I was starting from scratch. I would consider an even faster twist if I wanted to try the Hammer bullets. But I will probably not do this as I have so much 243 & 6mm brass. But a 22 CM may be on the list soon if I do one I will twist it for bullets up to 95 grains.

The 6.5 would work pretty well for what you described.
Any AI, w/ a short bbl never made sense to me. In my view, an AI is done for velocity increase. Why compromise that w/ a short bbl???
6 creed will run at about the same speed as a 243AI

Order a couple hundred rounds of hornady black 6 creedmoor ammo any you have excellent ammo and ready made brass.

The big benefits of the 6 creedmoor compared to the 243 AI is lack of fireforming and having a round that will seat the long, heavy bullets close to the lands while fitting in the magazine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to tear my 243 AI apart to rechamber to a creedmoor but I also wont rebarrel it to 243 AI again. I'm shooting both now and the 6 creedmoor leaves nothing on the table that I can see. Just my .02
+1 to everything Dude270 said.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
+1 to everything Dude270 said.

Count me in on that.

I'd not pass up a .24 caliber rifle with a 1-8 if it otherwise was what I wanted, but for a build where I totally had my way, it'd be a 1-7 just like my Fieldcraft, with the exception of a BR rifle, which will likely never happen.

My $249 Walmart Vanguard is a 1-10 of course, which is fine for the 100gr PHs, NPs, and varmint bullets I'll shoot in it. Gonna save wear and tear on the FC, I'm thinking.
Pass the 224 Kreedmire and 88 ELD's with their .545BC.

Hint.

Pardon my shooting it all.

Re-hint....................(grin)
Bullets matter more than headstamps and I've said that for a very long time. But the biggest knock I have on the 243AI is with the parent case having little taper, there really isn't much gain going AI with it. Why mess with it when you have other options that are more efficient, easier on brass, nice long necks, and show excellent accuracy as a given. The 6 Creed , 6.5 creed, and Stick's .224 Creed will do anything you want to do with less hassle. Look for the best bullets first, build the rifle around it. IMO. If that means a 7 twist for the highest BC bullets you plan to shoot, start looking for a barrel, then an action, etc..... Heck, a 6 Remington wouldn't be any worse than a 243AI but you still don't gain much over a 243 in the end.

Bob
Trading 20grs of mass to "reap" a lesser velocity and lesser BC...really ain't much of a fhuqking Sales Pitch.(grin) The .224" 88,CRUSHES the .243" 108. Full stop,end of "discussion",due the simplicity of Facts and Physics. Hint.

I only have (3) Seex Kreedmires and "only" shoot the bore size in everything from 270 to Twat-Six/6-284. Hint.

The 6mm Rem is absolute Dog Schit,only eclipsed in Dumbfhuqktitude,by the 6AI.

Twist Rate,Throat Geometry and COAL latitude,are the baselines which connect dots. Drop a ball and you's wayyyyyyyyy second fiddle. The 6mm Rem cain't connect schit,but Stupidity. Hint.

I'd rather shoot 6BR than 243AI,mainly because I've a few of each.

Hint.................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Trading 20grs of mass to "reap" a lesser velocity and lesser BC...really ain't much of a fhuqking Sales Pitch.(grin) The .224" 88,CRUSHES the .243" 108. Full stop,end of "discussion",due the simplicity of Facts and Physics. Hint.

I only have (3) Seex Kreedmires and "only" shoot the bore size in everything from 270 to Twat-Six/6-284. Hint.

Twist Rate,Throat Geometry and COAL latitude,are the baselines which connect dots. Drop a ball and you's wayyyyyyyyy second fiddle. The 6mm Rem cain't connect schit,but Stupidity. Hint.

Hint.................

Oh! the security guard cull shoots it all. LMFAO. Hint. Post a pic of you in uniform sugar tits.
Originally Posted by fredIII

Hint.................

Oh the security guard cull shoots it all. LMFAO. Hint.

In fairness.

"guard" IS a "big" word for you.

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint................
Oooopsie!

Slowwwwwwwwww 6mm Day here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Oooopsie!

A new higher RPM 224 Grendel spout just fell out of a box,not long ago.

[Linked Image]

Pass the 88 mag fed Krunchenticker Smooches and hold the Fluff.

Pardon my shooting it all...................
TSA has more juice. To funny rentaCOP.
Glad your broke azz could finally afford a bottle little boozey courageousness for the return 😂. Hint.

More guns less kills that seems to be the bald headed knob polishers only move.
Oooopsie!

[Linked Image]

What Barrel is that?
Slow day for the Mail...likely due the weather.

Purple Reign is barking.

[Linked Image]

As is yet another 88 ELD Launcher,despite the bruises.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ain't fretting things that go bump in the night.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Do tell more,about your Minimum Wage trevails and your WELL founded Insecurities.

Hint...................
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Oooopsie!

[Linked Image]

What Barrel is that?

'Nother Harrison,in increased RPM.

His bolts are Skookum too...I've a "few".(grin)................

[Linked Image]
LMFAO. Glocks and RMRs seem to be the standard but congrats on the effort. Hint suppressor sights seal the deal.

[Linked Image]
PS, Raise your hand if you actually hunt for anything!
LOL. Not you sugar tits put your hands down looking for couch change don’t count.
Optics that travel the slide,don't live as long as them that don't. Hint.

Now you "know".

You cain't even suppress your Stupidity.

Hint................
A security gaurd. Oh fûck can’t make that [bleep] up. No wonder you refuse to pay the X her dues.
Pardon Reality,colliding with your Fantasy.

Daily.

Hint.

Laughing!.....................
sugar tits needs a 🍩. I’m crying it’s so funny. What do you do for a living sugar tits. Are you keeping a close eye on those rascally polar bears. I hear they have sticky fingers.
Pardon Reality,colliding with your Fantasy.

Daily.

Hint.

Laughing!.....................

You should do a spoof you tube series. call it meat beater! it can be about all the hunts you go one each year.

That couch has to be getting lonely and sticky.

Ooopsie.

Unit One and it's a Marvel.

[Linked Image]

Laughing!............
Here’s to you playing on the computer on date night. LOL.

Got to sleep 2 am comes early.
Takes time to assemble wares,that you can only dream about.

Hint.....................
Unit One at 50yds. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pardon my shooting it all.

Hint................
Ooooopsie!

'Nother Unit One...but only 100++ years old. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint...............
Oooopsie!................

[Linked Image]
R&D.

[Linked Image]

You'd need a co-signer for the muzzle tape.

Hint....................
The results of HUNTING. LOL.

[Linked Image]

Good talk sugartits hope you pass out on your back tonight. Grin.
You GOTTA "convince" yourself of something.

Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!..............
ULTIMATE sand bagging!

[Linked Image]

Laughing!...............
[Linked Image]

If you had hair. LOL
Plagiarism and GoogleFu,are as close as you'll ever get...if only because it is all that you've "got". Hint.

"Luckily" for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute".

Bless your heart..................
👨‍✈️VS🤡. It’s getting to easy.
Way too easy...mainly because I've Mad Skeelz.

[Linked Image]

Hint...................
© 24hourcampfire