Home
Posted By: skybuster20ga Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
Im buildingva .358win on a 700sa.
Ive been in touch with two barrel makers to barrel my action. One says a rem #2 the other says a rem #5. Im a little stumped on why the difference in thought? One says finished barrel will be about 2lbs the other "just shy of 3 lbs".
Btw, its 19.5" and straight fluted.
Any help would be great!

-Brandon
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
VERY poor chambering and you are in well over your head,upon many levels.

Hint.................
Posted By: tomk Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
What is your target finish weight? Stillhunting or stand?

For a walking around thumper type whitetail rifle, a #5 will be heavy.
Everyone's "#5" is different,as are there "#2's".

Hint...............
Posted By: noKnees Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
In a 358 a douglas #2 is going to be pretty lightweight, a #3 is will be normal sporter like and a #4 will be a little heavy/weight forward. This based upon a 20" unfluted barrels. My guess is a fluted #5 is going to be a little heavy although would work great as a tree stand or blind gun.

For a general walking about gun I would do #3 or fluted #4. As a rule I would prefer to have a small cylinder say 1" to keep the weight down and forward.

As Stick says every maker seems to have his own lists of contours, my numbers would work for a Douglas contour, you can look up the profiles and compare to the barrel manufacturer of your choice.
Posted By: skybuster20ga Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
I was hoping for around 7 1/2lbs scoped.
These were called 'remington' contours by both makers.
Build a 21" 7-08,1-8" and live a little.

Hint...............
Stick, maybe of you didnt act like such a douche bag on every thread you chime in on, your babble might actually be considered. Granted, im sure you know far more then i do on most subjects but if i read tomorrw that you tried to suck start a 12ga ide feel no sorrow.

The rest of you guys, thanks, as always.
crybuster,

Pardon Facts upsetting you so,as you boldly schlep STUPIDITY to places it's never been before. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Melting Snowflakes are a fhuqking RIOT! You'd do well to shut the fhuqk up,holster your VERY tender feelers,take notes and fhuqking apply same.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................
Posted By: tomk Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
Right-the 5's are a bit larger...:)

Contours

Personally, would forego the flutes, but each to his own. Have gone with shorter shanks to shave a bit of weight.
Helps to pick a good chambering,with the best bullets available and simply build for balance/handling.

She's in wayyyyyyyyy over her pointy head.

Hint.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
with a 358 winchester being the target chambering I doubt he is worried about the best bullets and trajectory and to each their own most people do own more than one gun in one chambering......

I have always liked douglas tapers for the barrels i own so I use mostly hart barrels and a #2 non fluted or a number #3 fluted would be my choice
Stupid isn't ever smart.

Hint..............
you are right stupid isnt very smart ....but if all he shoots is 150 yards a 358 isnt stupid, it would be stupid if he was looking to shoot much farther though
The hart barrel jack reccomended rem #5. Maybe he was mistaken. He had been busy that day? He figures finished weight around 2lbs with a muzzle dia or .700"
I'm fairly certain,that a 7-08 will cover the 150yd line,just as handily as the 15" line.

Hint.............
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by skybuster20ga
Stick, maybe of you didnt act like such a douche bag on every thread you chime in on, your babble might actually be considered. Granted, im sure you know far more then i do on most subjects but if i read tomorrw that you tried to suck start a 12ga ide feel no sorrow.

laugh laugh
Don't spook the hole...she's doing "great". Hint.

LAUGHING!.................
the #5 hart finishes .700 at 26 inches not sure where it would be at 19.5 but it would be to heavy for my taste

#2 lightweight
#3 middleweight
Remington magnum taper for my heavy barrel

these would be my choices
Fluted Hart #5.

[Linked Image]

Hint...............
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
@OP,

If you know the weight of your stock, your action, bottom metal, scope and mounts, you can use either the PacNor or the Lilja barrel weight calculator to "thumbnail" the weight of your barrel for all up weight. Either calculator will let you bit-twiddle length, contour and flutes to get close to your target weight. they may not be perfect. But, they will get you in the ball park. My recommendation would be to shoot a little UNDER your target weight since my builds always seem to come out a little heavier than planned.

Good luck with your project !

PacNor Calculator - Web page

Lilja Calculator Download - 3rd Bullet Down
Hart #2 Recontoured to Montucky dupe(bottom rifle). Upper was a #7 Rock,contoured same.

[Linked Image]

Hint..............
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
Stick doesn't know anything that can't be Googled. Except maybe how to ruin equipment.
Fluted MTU Hart(bottom).

[Linked Image]

Pardon my shooting it all...and then some.

Hint.............
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Barrel contour help - 03/15/19
You still can't outshoot a little girl
Hart #3...third from left.

[Linked Image]

Hint.............
State troopers know you stole all that stuff?
Pardon my making more in a day,than you do a month. Your very WELL founded Insecurities,are a fhuqking ghoot! Hint. Congratulations?!?

What do you "do" for a "living" again? HINT.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............
I heard they won't let you drive the crummy anymore cuz the crew is tired of tapping wood blocks to the pedals so your stubbies can reach
Hart #4 in this fray.

Hint.............

[Linked Image]
Purty quiet.

LAUGHING!.........
Posted By: SKane Re: Barrel contour help - 03/16/19
I was hoping for around 7 1/2lbs scoped.
These were called 'remington' contours by both makers.

skybuster,

Apologies if I missed it - which stock will you be putting the rifle into?

A Rem Mag contour in a lightweight stock with modest 12-14oz scope will pretty easily land at your desired weight.

If going the Hart route, consider a #3 (shallow flutes) - maybe even a #4. I'd steer very clear of the #5. shocked
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Barrel contour help - 03/16/19
Fluted Rem Mag Contour(Rock).

Hint..................

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Barrel contour help - 03/16/19
Sky buster,
I agree with SKane. I built a 358 with a Douglas Rem mag sporter contour barrel. It’s a nice handy deer thumper.
Posted By: skybuster20ga Re: Barrel contour help - 03/16/19
The stock is a boyds laminate CDL style. Finished it weighs 1lb7oz.
The action with lug is 12oz
'buster...you Whining Clueless Fhuqk.

Hint.

LAUGHING!............
Posted By: SKane Re: Barrel contour help - 03/16/19
The stock is a boyds laminate CDL style. Finished it weighs 1lb7oz.

That's considerably lighter than any laminated stock I'm familiar with - are you sure about the weight?
She's a Schit Show. Hint.

LAUGHING!..................
Skane, your right, it weighs 2lbs 11oz.
I weighed my mod seven laminate for comparison and that weighs exactly the same. Not sure where my other weight came from. My mistake.
Stick, im not sure what/who you think you are but i can tell you this for sure. There is no way possible you speak to people in the real world the way you do online because im certain you would have that stupid looking foo-man-choo smacked of your little greasy face. Atleast in my neck of the woods.
Why dont you hop off my thread since nobody makes any sense other then yourself?
Posted By: Shadow Re: Barrel contour help - 03/17/19
I had a 358 Win built a number of years ago. I used a Sako AII action and a Pac-Nor #4 barrel finished at 22", (about .650 at the muzzle) bedded into a Brown Precision Kevlar Stock. I had a Leupy 1.5x5 Vari X III with a German #4 Reticle in Leupy Sako Rings. I don't remember the weight but it balanced real well and handed fine. I loaded Barnes 200 X Bullets, over a heavy load of Alliant RL-12 (no longer made). Wish I still had it as it was a fine mid range timber rifle....Good luck with yours.

And don't let the tundra troll get you down. He's just loud, bulling and generally obnoxious, but he also has some good advice, and is very skilled, if you can pick up his kernels of wisdom out from between the bat guano.......
Posted By: Judman Re: Barrel contour help - 03/17/19
It’s not hard to cut to the fuucking chase and just order what ya want..... 5 weeks, 2 days at the smith.... oooops

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Barrel contour help - 03/17/19
I enjoy Droolers "spec'ing" blueprints. Hint. LAUGHING!

I've more Custom Rifles laying in wait,than you Clueless Kchunts will ever see.

Hint......................
No blueprint given dummy, just citing how unfuckingbelievably easy it is to order what happened want right out of the gate.....

Hint

Laughing...........
[Linked Image]
JudLady,

"All" of "your" wares in a stack,wouldn't rate the first fhuqk.

Bless your heart for chasing heels and nipping same,you Brokedick Fhuqk.

Hint...................
[Linked Image]
Few things as "compelling" as drunken PM's.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................
Again last week you claimed I pm’d myself

Lying fuuck
JudLady,

You poor poor(literally) Brokedick Fhuqk...be SURE to Imagine ALL that you can Pretend. Hint.

How much did you "make" last year?

HINT.

LAUGHING!..........
Touch a nerve eh??? Haha
JudLady,

You couldn't begin to pack the contours down the hall!

"Luckily" you can DREAM about them!

HINT..................
Top it little man!!! Haha
[Linked Image]bbva compass branch near me
Oopsie!.................

[Linked Image]
Oooopsie traded my food stamps for (2) weeks in Kauai!!! Haha
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Barrel contour help - 03/17/19
Can't laugh any harder than that picture of you. F.U.C.K that's funny of a stubby little mutant that can't do anything but sit in his filthy trailer house and play on his computer impressing NO BODY. I mean you are on here 20 hours a day doing NOTHING and proving it. A simple little loser beyond all imagination.
Posted By: Adamjp Re: Barrel contour help - 03/17/19
Talking about "number" profiles is a waste of time.

For any calibre your minimum thickness will be calibre plus 90 thou each side. Tapering from there back to the action dia which is fairly common on a Remington 700.

So, for your 358, your minimum dia at the muzzle is 540 which is just a hair over Remington Mountain Rifle profile. FWIW the original Rem600 barrels were 18.5in and .610 at the muzzle. These came in a 350 Rem Mag.

Standard Remington Sporter would be nice, but IMHO the Remington Magnum profile will be more suitable at about .650 for your chosen length. This profile chosen as your stock may not be as light as some and the slightly heavier barrel will give you a better chance of having a rifle that balances nicely. Read up on rifle balance, but the short version is about 4 inches from the trigger is where a stalking rifle should balance.
Posted By: skybuster20ga Re: Barrel contour help - 03/18/19
Thank you boys for the guidance. Ive pretty well narrowed it down to pac-nor to barrel my action and probably cerakote it.
The stock is a boyds brown laminate with ebony fore end and black pad. Any of you boys have any experiance with cerakote colors as far as what closley matches luepolds matte black?
I was also toying the idea of doing the action and barrel a lighter color, tan maybe and the bolt black? Its too much fun with too many choices.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Barrel contour help - 03/18/19
Closet match to Leupold Black in Cerakote, in my view is H-190 Armor Black

https://www.cerakote.com/finishes/H-190Q/armor-black/

Good luck with your build....
Posted By: skybuster20ga Re: Barrel contour help - 03/20/19
I ended up using pac-nor and their #3 with a short shank. Hopefully itll work out okay. If not, so be it. Better luck on the next one!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Barrel contour help - 03/24/19
I ended up using pac-nor and their #3 with a short shank. Hopefully itll work out okay. If not, so be it. Better luck on the next one!

Never heard of one.

Hint...............

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire