Home
Posted By: czech1022 Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909 - 03/31/19
I just picked up a custom Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909, and I don't know a thing about the many Mauser 98 variations. I am assuming the 1909 is a good receiver to use for a custom build. Am I right?

The receiver is marked, "DEUTSCHE WAFFEN-UND" and "MUNITIONSFABRIKEN BERLIN". Were all the Argentino 1909s made in Berlin?

Problem #1. The safety is on the wrong side! Is there an easy way to reverse it without having to go to a gunsmith?

Problem #2. It's chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, and I'd much rather have a 7x57, .280 or .280AI. I have a 7x57 Mauser barrel in the closet - can I just pull the 7RM barrel, replace it with the 7x57 and expect it to feed without a problem? I'm vaguely guessing that the builder might have had to work on the feed rails to make the 7RM feed.

Pic of the safety:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by czech1022

Were all the Argentino 1909s made in Berlin?

No they were not.

Originally Posted by czech1022
.. I am assuming the 1909 is a good receiver to use for a custom build. Am I right?

Yes. good and preferred by many, but they still require a substantial financial outlay to bring
the complete action up to spec. if a person is planning a top flight/high standard build.

If you used say another great action like a Brazilian 1908.. gave it a full grind of all surfaces
to true the whole thing up, have the inside rails and surfaces hand stoned/polished, etc, etc,
and put all the best modern upgrade goodies on it, you wouldn't know whether it was originally
a 1909 or 1908 or some other military Std.98.

The manufacturing standard of 1909s and 1908s mostly just means there is less to contend with
if doing a full high level Mauser action build.

ITs the same reasoning that top guys like D'Arcy Echols will carefully select which Pre 64 M70
to use for a build, cause some are terribly rough from the factory.
Posted By: Jkob Re: Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909 - 03/31/19
Problem #2...If it already is a 7mag, the bolt face, extractor and feed rails have probably been altered. I would bet it cannot be made to work with your 7x57 barrel
Exactly what I needed to know - I'm now looking at 48gr of H4895 for 2700-2800fps with a 150gr Partition. That should get done anything I need it to do!
But there should be no problem at all going to an awesome cartridge like the 264 WinMag. Simply a necked down 7mm Remington Magnum.

...or sell it to someone who would do the same.
Maybe you need to read the Rev Mike thread on 1909 set back from soft actions before you spend a lot making it nice looking.
© 24hourcampfire