Home
So cheap is a relative term, but I just ran into what I thought were some good deals on them components to make it happen.

I started this process when I found a Brno 21 on an auction site for $700 complete with vintage Leupold scope.

[Linked Image]

Bolt handle had already been bubba’d , pad added and stock had been refinished, so I don’t feel bad about using this as my base. I was able to sell the vintage scope for $300 so that puts me at $400 in the rifle. About a month after I purchased the gun I found three Dakota safeties at another auction and was able to buy then sell them, making enough profit that I only had to add another $100 to have a new safety and bolt handle installed.
[Linked Image]

I purchased a semi inlet stock to use as a template for my final stock which will be this one I found on ebay that came from a clearance of a deceased gunsmith estate. Cut in 1965, $320!!!
[Linked Image]

Should have my stock back from duplication this week, can wait to get it. I will end up selling the original stock and bottom metal to help defray some more of the cost.
This is going to be awesome!!
Looking forward to your updates as you complete your 7x57. That stock blank is beautiful.
I like your quote, "cheap is a relative term". My guess your end product will be anything but cheap...sure looks to be on the way to first class!
Beauty! That blank looks great.
Keep us updated. Looks like this is going to be a beauty!
Every now and then I run into a pretty nice custom 7x57mm built on a Mauser 93 or 95 for a good price.
bt8897,Where did you source the semi inlet from?
Originally Posted by 1911a1
bt8897,Where did you source the semi inlet from?

Hatchers in Australia
bt8897, do you do the bolt handle and safety install yourself or did you get a smith to do it? They look nice.
That's going to be a dandy! Awaiting updates.
Got it back from duplicating, inletted, grip cap and plate installed. Now to start the sanding!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

With a little mineral spirits
[Linked Image]
Great looking stock! I'd love to see more pics.
Sharp!
Gorgeous piece of wood. I love the open grip, too.
Love that Open Wrist! Beautiful wood too. I hope it shoots well for you pard!
Thanks for the compliments! I have got the stock sealed and one coat of finish applied, still have to sand in several more coats. I have started shaping the bottom metal, filing a radius on the trigger bow and smoothing it out. Debating on sending the bolt out and having it checkered???
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gorgeous wood on that one - wow!
Wow! Well done!
320$ for that stock blank was one heck of a bargain!

What sealer and finish are you using? Also I take it you are wet sanding the finish in to fill the pores ?

I'm asking because I've just finished sealing a stock I'm working on and have applied one coat of oil. I'm considering wet sanding myself.
Stunning. You've done a great job......I'm envious.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
320$ for that stock blank was one heck of a bargain!

What sealer and finish are you using? Also I take it you are wet sanding the finish in to fill the pores ?

I'm asking because I've just finished sealing a stock I'm working on and have applied one coat of oil. I'm considering wet sanding myself.

I used Dalys Ship n Shore to seal the stock and Im using Timberlux to finish. I used to use Dalys for both but the one stock I finished with Timberlux seemed to be a little easier to use than Dalys Teak oil. And yes I will be sanding in the finish
So I have a couple of coats of finish sanded in, looks like its only going to take a couple more-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Beautiful rifle. Checkered bolt would be a nice accent but it doesn't improve functioning if you palm the bolt. Who did the stock duplication?
Sweet rifle
Looking good!
Thanks for the compliments. I have completely finished the stock, second time I have used Timberluxe and am pretty happy with the results. I have rough shaped the bottom metal, need to do the final polishing before rust bluing. I am a little curious about a French Grey finish, anyone have any experience with it? Does it provide much rust protection?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That’s a pretty stock!
Looks amazing...well done. Who is going to do the checkering for you or will you do it yourself?

Fwiw I wouldn't checker the bolt and I would go pretty sparse on the stock checkering. Less is more imho. French gray looks great... it so does a well used and aged standard rust blue. Can’t go wrong imho
Not sure if it is the same but on a couple of my shotguns I have a matte nickle coating that some call french grey. It provided good corrosion prevention but is not that durable and once worn then corrosion is an issue. I have to polish with Flitz at least once or twice a season. I have also seen matte finished chrome for a similar look and if hard industrial chrome the corrosion protection is one of the best.

These are sort of faux French finishes. The original was just an acid etched bare steel. Later it was either bluing or case hardining with the color removed by acid treatment. This would give some protection but not much, much less than the nickle or chrome. If I had anything color case hardened I would want the color. Treating with casenet also produces a french grey effect as it is case hardening with out the colors. It improves wear resistance but not much better than bare steel as far as corrosion resistance.

On that rifle I think cold rust blue is the way to go as everything else is classic.
Originally Posted by bt8897
Thanks for the compliments. I have completely finished the stock, second time I have used Timberluxe and am pretty happy with the results. I have rough shaped the bottom metal, need to do the final polishing before rust bluing. I am a little curious about a French Grey finish, anyone have any experience with it? Does it provide much rust protection?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is one of the prettiest rifles I've seen. I used this on the receiver of my 99 Savage that had been bead blasted. I rubbed in three coats, inside and out, and it was still a bit rough. I called the company and was told to apply a few more coats till smooth, then bake at 350 for 40 minutes. It's worked like a charm.[Linked Image][Linked Image]
neat Savage
who did the stock work for you?
I had a retired gunsmith duplicate it and I finished it
Well I have completed all that I can do. I rust blued all the metal and rings this weekend, now I just have to have it checkered. Grand total invested $1070. I was able to sell the original stock and bottom metal this week which helped. I will probably have another $400 in checkering but it will have to wait, my checkerer is really backed up right now. I was hoping to come in around the same weight as the original gun 6 lbs 10 oz but it came in a little heavier 7 lbs on the nose and 8 lb 1 oz with scope and rings.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If that's built on the cheap...... I'd love to see one you really sank some serious cash in on.
She's a beauty!!!
Wow that turned out great !

That rust blue looks very classy, you definitely have some skills.
Very nice! ..... That wood makes it.
Some nice rifles on this thread. I’m not a wood/blue guy but I’m reconsidering.
A beauty. I bet the weight is because of the density of the wood. Seems like a lot of the highly figured wood comes from old trees that grew very slowly and are denser. This is less true for orchard trees that grow relatively fast.
[Linked Image]

Did that rear sling eyelet come off the original rifle?
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[Linked Image]

Did that rear sling eyelet come off the original rifle?

Good catch, yes that is the original rear sling stud. And thanks for all the compliments guys,I'm kinda proud of the way it turned out.
Great work! A really beautiful rifle.
Stunning rifle! What is the muzzle diameter on these? Thinking of picking a bruised up sample for a rebore project.
Beautiful job there.
Any updates on this one? Like to see how it turned out.
Stocks off being checkered now, not so patiently waiting.......
Very nice. What is the bottom metal ? Argentine ?
Absolutely gorgeous work there sir what a lovely piece!
Got it back today, applied a little sealer to the checkering, think it turned out fantastic-
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
WOW!
That is very, very nice!
Yeah! And there looks like there's nothing cheap about it!
That looks awesome!
Awesome....
So cheap is a relative term, but I just ran into what I thought were some good deals on them components to make it happen.

I started this process when I found a Brno 21 on an auction site for $700 complete with vintage Leupold scope.

Bolt handle had already been bubba’d , pad added and stock had been refinished, so I don’t feel bad about using this as my base. I was able to sell the vintage scope for $300 so that puts me at $400 in the rifle. About a month after I purchased the gun I found three Dakota safeties at another auction and was able to buy then sell them, making enough profit that I only had to add another $100 to have a new safety and bolt handle installed.

I purchased a semi inlet stock to use as a template for my final stock which will be this one I found on ebay that came from a clearance of a deceased gunsmith estate. Cut in 1965, $320!!!

Should have my stock back from duplication this week, can wait to get it. I will end up selling the original stock and bottom metal to help defray some more of the cost.

That is literally the rifle of a lifetime. I would use it for everything...until my last breath...then i would pass it on!
Beautiful job on that rifle. I agree with Quak above, would be hard to even think about my other rifles with that in the safe.
Thanks for all the compliments, this is the second rifle I have put together from scratch. I’m really happy with how it turned out!
That looks fantastic. Great job. I'd be afraid to hunt with it.
Awesome looking rifle bt8897! Building a custom on the cheap can be done easily if you take your time. I built a custom Rem 700 a few years ago, different style rifle, but much the same way as you did, by finding deals for the build, and putting profits back into the rifle to offset the cost to lessen the out of pocket expenses.

Its a 280 AI that consists of:

Trued Rem 700 Action w/PTG 1 piece bolt
Holland Competition Recoil Lug
Callahan Speedlock
Brux fluted Barrel
TriggerTech Special Trigger
McMillan Stock
PTG Bottom Metal
Hawkins Precision LR Hybrid Rings
Leupold VX-6 3-18x44

My total out of pocket expenses for the rifle, which includes the smith work and coating, ended up being just a shade under $1050.
Really neat project.

I like the way you think, the way you "wheel and deal" these components, always focused on the goal, the finished rifle.

Too cool...

DF
You did good.
Stunning rifle.
That stock is absolutely gorgeous, as is the entire rifle. Great job!
SOOOOO, How does it shoot??
wink somehow MY custom 7x57 didn't turn out like yours lol

Beautiful rifle, man. Go whack a deer or 2
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
SOOOOO, How does it shoot??

I havent had a chance to shoot it since I got it back, but it shot under an inch in its old stock so I feel pretty confident it should do the same
I’ll trade you a 6 year old that’s getting too big for her britches. And a head of cabbage.
Got it back today, applied a little sealer to the checkering, think it turned out fantastic-

That rifle turned out absolutely perfect, budget or not. It would be hard to make that beauty much nicer. VERY well done sir.
© 24hourcampfire