Home
Posted By: LEADMINER Rock Creek Barrels - 05/29/19
Rock Creek makes both button and cut-rifled barrels. What has been your experience with either. I will be more interested in a hunting rifle rather than a match rifle but would like all the precision I could get out of a 6.5 tube in a sporter contour. Thanks for input.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/29/19
There cut 5R barrels are excellent.
I have used them for both hunting rifles and 1000 yard BR.
Unless bigholes has what you want in stock.
Be prepared for a long wait.
If I were going to build a hunting rifle with a button rifled barrel.
I would run a Douglas stainless air gauged.
dave
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/29/19
Thanks, Dave. That is helpful. I understand the cut 5R are good-as you stated. I've not heard much on the button.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/29/19
Well, I don't think they are as good as the old days when Paul Volsted and James Lederer were the barrel guys. I think Paul is working for Dan Killough, Killough Shooting Sports, and James is making the Lederer cut rifled barrels. The Lederer barrels are top notch.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/29/19
I have a #4 1:8 22-250Rem button rifled Rock Creek bbl. It's accurate and easy to clean. It shoots 50's, 55's, and 75's very well.

75 A-max is what I primarily shoot out of it. It's 24", the 75's are 3291FPS with an ES of 22 and SD of 7 using Ramshot Hunter powder loaded on a Dillon 550B.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Well, I don't think they are as good as the old days when Paul Volsted and James Lederer were the barrel guys. I think Paul is working for Dan Killough, Killough Shooting Sports, and James is making the Lederer cut rifled barrels. The Lederer barrels are top notch.

Butch- are you referring to Rock Creek, generally; or cut/buttoned in particular?
Horse- good to hear your button experience.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/29/19
I have had dealings with Russell.
Other than the wait.All was well.
My understanding is that they have a military contracts.
The gov calls up and demands x number of barrels.
It puts them in a bind for the one and two order stuff....

A 6.5 Rem varmint for a 6.5mm SLR 12 pound 1000 yard rifle.
As competitive as anything else I have used and i've used just about everything..
Have no experience with Rocks button barrels..

For a hunting rifle.
Follow the advise of your gunsmith.
dave
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/29/19
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Butch- are you referring to Rock Creek, generally; or cut/buttoned in particular?

Speaking of Rock Creek, not cut against button rifle.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/29/19
Bartlein only makes cut barrels......4-6 month wait currently unless someone has what you want in stock. Worth the wait but I admit to not knowing all there is to know about this stuff.

I recently got a Bartlein and communication and customer service was great. Barrel is too.
Well. Bartlein is up at the top but our state of Wisconsin is rich in custom barrel makers!
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/30/19
Had a 5R cut rifled tube made when Paul was there was one of my most accurate barrels, been shooting Bartlien since and they've been as good or better, these days I'd go Bartlien if they make a contour you'd be happy with!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/30/19
I had Bartlein square off the front of my receiver and bolt face, chamber and screw it together. Ordered at the end of November 2018 and got it back in March 2019. Very happy with the result.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 05/30/19
ANY, cut rifled barrel out of Wisconsin will be top notch.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/01/19
Try HawkHill cut rifled barrel's and I feel you'd be happy, to say the least we been getting pretty good barrels from Rock Creek since Paul left as well, do miss him not being there though.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/02/19
I have had really great luck with Rock Creek cut rifled barrels. RC will also has really good contours and will sell you a light contour stainless barrel. Krieger and Bartlein will not.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/06/19
Rock is easily amongst my favorite Cut spouts and Krieger ain't even in the conversation...mainly because I've more than a few.

Hint...………………………..
Posted By: John55 Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/07/19
I’ve had several Bartlien barrels and at least a dozen Kriegers. Both are fine barrels but some are terrible about copper fouling, Bartlien being the worst. I’ve just had a 7 mag put together with a Benchmark stainless tube and it’s easily been one of the best barrels I’ve worked with. Cleans super easy, very accurate and seems to shoot everything I try in it. I’ve heard good things about RC barrels but to date I’ve not tried one.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/07/19
My "worst" Bart',THRASHES my best Krieger.

Hint..................
Posted By: swampkid Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/12/19
I have 1 Rock creek on a 223AI about 8 years old and it is still a tack driver.Also like Bartlien and Bench Mark.
Posted By: sloone Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/18/19
many great barrel makers today..have shot 5 different makers over the years.no best in my mind.i have recently used mullerworks and benchmark.as good as bartlein or any other.clean better with less fouling than bartlein.next will be a Lederer.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/18/19
No idea why you'd order anything but a cut-rifled barrel from Rock.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/18/19
^^^^^^This^^^^^^
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/18/19
Good points...what if you wanted a purely sporter-weight hunting rifle? Think deer rifle...not a match rifle?
Posted By: aalf Re: Rock Creek Barrels - 06/18/19

OEM Production Barrels

These barrels are only available for sale to firearms manufactures-no retail sales

Rock Creek Barrels offers a line of 5 and 8 groove OEM production grade barrels in both stainless and chrome moly. These barrels are pull buttoned with leader bar equipped machines, stress relieved and inspected for uniformity. Available in quantity. Please call for pricing information.
© 24hourcampfire