Home
Posted By: ReggieDunlop Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/09/19
I am looking to switch from a two piece to a one piece bottom metal for my Win Model 70. It is part of a rebarrel and a restock.

Any recommendations? I know Williams makes one. I am curious if there are any other recommendations.

Thanks
Posted By: handwerk Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/09/19
Depends what vintage your rifle is?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/09/19
If you gonna keep the same stock, going from std. two piece to one piece, you're going to need to inlet for one piece.

Williams bottom metal is great. Here's the Williams in an Echold Legend for a M-70. Inletting was perfect, a drop in.

If you're not confident with inletting, you'll need to get it done and that will cost.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WTF Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/09/19
I bought a Pacific Tool & Gauge Oberndorf. About 1/2 the price of the Williams.
Originally Posted by WTF

Or get SC/Portugese OEM M-70 one piece bottom metal and inlet.

Not sure what that part(s) would cost, but also should be cheaper than Williams. Cheaper, not better.

Sunny Hill makes some good stuff, again not cheap.

DF
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/09/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by WTF

Not sure what that part(s) would cost, but also should be cheaper than Williams. Cheaper, not better.

DF

I have some PTG Orbendorf bottom metal for a M70. It looks good but it took a couple trips to the gunsmith for a heavier spring before it would stay shut when fired. No issues lately.

I have read certain timeframes of PTG bottom metal needed more than bottom metal from other timeframes. Maybe I was just unlucky. I have no issues with PTG, likely won't be the last thing I buy from them.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/09/19
PTG Orbendorf on the wood stock rifle.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
PTG Orbendorf on the wood stock rifle.

[Linked Image]

Great wood and ouitstanding checkering.

Do you have better photos of the bottom metal?

Like...

DF
Posted By: EdM Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/10/19
The aluminum PTG Orbendorf did not work on my 416 Rem M70. It emptied the rifle every time. As cape buffalo was on the menu I went back to factory steel.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/10/19
Phone pics. Not great but you get the idea. If you want a particular angle let me know! This is the steel version.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/10/19
Looks nice to me.

DF
Posted By: WTF Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/10/19
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by WTF

DF

I have some PTG Orbendorf bottom metal for a M70. It looks good but it took a couple trips to the gunsmith for a heavier spring before it would stay shut when fired. No issues lately.

I have read certain timeframes of PTG bottom metal needed more than bottom metal from other timeframes. Maybe I was just unlucky. I have no issues with PTG, likely won't be the last thing I buy from them.

No problems with mine either.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/10/19
The roll pin for the magazine catch looks really cheesy.
Posted By: WTF Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/10/19
For the cost compared with the other offerings, I can take a tiny cheesy looking roll pin.
Posted By: ReggieDunlop Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/10/19
Appreciate the responses. The rifle is from the late 90s. I have a stock inletted for one piece and I plan to use that as part of the project.

I forgot about Sunny Hill. I’ll check them out as well.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/10/19
If you have a one piece inletted stock and two piece bottom metal, you can get a spacer from Stocky that will allow use of two piece with a one piece stock.

So, you don't really have to get one piece bottom metal if you don't want to just because the stock is so inletted.

DF
Posted By: Redneck Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The roll pin for the magazine catch looks really cheesy.
But it stays in place - while some of the other solid pins can (and have) moved; in one case, fell out.. eek
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/14/19
The sting of the cost will be temporary. But you will have to look at it for a long time (hopefully). Buy yourself a Swift unit (formerly Blackburn) and enjoy it for as long as you keep the rifle.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Model 70 Bottom Metal - 06/14/19
I have had all of the model.70 bottom.metal.sets mentioned thus far. The William's unit isnthe best bang fornthe buck. The PTG is crap as far as I am concerned.
© 24hourcampfire