Home
Posted By: micky Designing my own wildcat - 08/13/19
Morning all. I have an idea for a wildcat. How would I go about getting it built? I have a basic idea of what I want, the parent case, shoulder angle, bullets to use but in order to get a reamer built what do I need.

Before any of you try to dissuade me, i am aware this is completely illogical and if my cartridge works perfectly I may gain 5-10% velocity increase over common cartridges which would translate to complete bupkis but logic and reason be damned. I figure that rant alone likely means I'm in the right room posting this here.
Posted By: DocEd Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/13/19
Visit any of the fine reamer Mfg. sites and download a reamer print. This will show you what dimensions you'll need to provide to get a reamer ground.
Posted By: micky Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/13/19
Thank you. I've used PT&G for other things in the past. Would they be good for this?
Originally Posted by micky
Thank you. I've used PT&G for other things in the past. Would they be good for this?

Not if you would like it in the next year.
Posted By: micky Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/13/19
Then whom?
Posted By: aalf Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/13/19
PT&G is like a restaurant I knew, you could order whatever you wanted, didn't mean you would get it....

Go JGS
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/13/19
Lee may help with dies
Posted By: beretzs Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/13/19
I’m doing a Henricksen for my next Mashburn reamer. They seem to stick with the plan but they aren’t fast either.
Posted By: jpb Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by aalf
PT&G is like a restaurant I knew, you could order whatever you wanted, didn't mean you would get it....

Go JGS

Plus 1

JGS website

PS: Quality like this isn't cheap but you seem to have a bad case of Rifle Loonyitis, so... grin
A 7-300 Norma would be interesting
Posted By: SMACK Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/14/19
Give Grant a call @ JGS. (541)267-4331

Posted By: HawkI Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/14/19
My late gunsmith friend had PTG cut his own wildcat reamer (which is now ironically the 6 Creedmoor with a skosh longer neck, for all intents), the 6mm Fritts.

He knew Kiff personally and his turnaround was fast for the two other custom reamers we've had made, but this was 10 years or more ago.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/14/19
Then whom?

https://mansonreamers.com/
Posted By: Tejano Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/14/19
I would do a search of reamer archives from PT&G, Clymer, C4Hd and any others to make sure it has not already been done. Just about anything you can think of has been tried before.
Posted By: mart Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Not if you would like it in the next year.

It for reviews such as these that I chose Manson Reamers when I ordered a 25-222 Copperhead reamer recently. They quoted me 10 weeks and I had it in two.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/14/19
I designed my own cartridge. 50CB based on a shortened 56-50 case. I cut the chamber with a boring bar with DRO instead of a reamer.

One thing I learned, those gentle lead angles are there for a reason.
Posted By: keith Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/16/19
Remember that you are going to need two reamers

Finish reamer for the rifle chamber

Die reamer for a full length sizer that will have to be made, which HAS to be smaller than the finish reamer

JGS and Manson will do a great job for your, with a couple of month leade time. Hendrickson will take a year.

PTG went through a rough time a while back when Dave had back surgery. I think that things are much better there now.
Posted By: 25epps Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/03/20
Micky
Welcome to the world of true rifle loonies.
Dave Manson at Manson reamer is the go to man for all things weird and wonderful.
I decided to build a 25/303 Epps but wanted it to be different.
Dave sent me the schematics and we discussed my needs.
By using a rimmed same I had no problems with moving the shoulder forward. I ended up blowing the case out a bit straighter, moved the shoulder forward to increase capacity, changed the shoulder angle to 35 degrees and ended up with a .257 neck length.
This changed the case capacity from 50 grains to 64 grains . A huge increase.
I now have a wildcat 25 that will send a 100grain Barnes ttsx at 3,660 fps down range and a 117 grain SST or 115grain nosler combined technology silver tip to 3,650fps.
As you can see wildcating can be a great pass time
that only increases you knowledge of reloading and ballistics.
Bob Nelson
Micky,

I’ve designed and had built a few wildcats which required special custom reamers for the chambers and the dies. I sent the drawings I drew to Dave Manson and he made the reamers. I used removable pilots because I used the same case design was for several different calibers.

I would use Mason’s services again. His price was reasonable, I was able to speak with him by phone about what I was trying to do, and turn around time was very good. He does very high quality work.
Originally Posted by keith
Remember that you are going to need two reamers

Finish reamer for the rifle chamber

Die reamer for a full length sizer that will have to be made, which HAS to be smaller than the finish reamer

JGS and Manson will do a great job for your, with a couple of month leade time. Hendrickson will take a year.

PTG went through a rough time a while back when Dave had back surgery. I think that things are much better there now.

This -

And you’ll have to have the sizing die hardened after you ream it. smile

I don’t know how long Dave’s custom reamer time is - I have a custom 308 reamer on order from PTG now, but have done a custom 280AI, and 260 reamer from JGS as well.
Ha... I got my Modified Bisley 308 PTG custom reamer today.. That’s less than 3 months from when I ordered it - very fast !!
Posted By: tcp Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/08/20
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Micky,

I’ve designed and had built a few wildcats which required special custom reamers for the chambers and the dies. I sent the drawings I drew to Dave Manson and he made the reamers. I used removable pilots because I used the same case design was for several different calibers.

I would use Mason’s services again. His price was reasonable, I was able to speak with him by phone about what I was trying to do, and turn around time was very good. He does very high quality work.

my experience with Manson as well
Posted By: mathman Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/09/20
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

I used removable pilots because I used the same case design was for several different calibers.

How did this work for chamber neck section of the reamer?
Posted By: cv540 Re: Designing my own wildcat - 08/09/20
Might I suggest a name. Specific to caliber of course, but how about.... .284 Redskins
© 24hourcampfire