Home
Got through building 2 granddaughter's deer rifles, so I decided I deserved one. It's a pre 64 Mod action with an 8 twist Kreiger barrel in 6.5x55 that a benchrest friend barreled up for me. Pretty good stick of American Black for the stock. Has 3 checkered panels on bolt knob, skeleton grip cap and Talley sling swivel bases. After breaking in the barrel, I settled in on a load of 130 gr Nosler Accubond with H4350 that is shooting repeated 3 shot groups in the .4-.48" @ 100. Yeah, I know it doesn't have the buzzword "Creedmore" associated with it, but I think it will work.
Chrono results:
Hi 2954
Lo 2939
SD 8.0
MAD 6.0
ES 15.2
AV 2945

Phil

Description: 6.5
Attached picture thumbnail_IMG_2453.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail_IMG_2458.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail_IMG_2459.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail_IMG_2460.jpg
Wow, nice! You will enjoy that one for sure. Creed cannot match the Swede....both good rounds.

So barrel contour/length? Thanks.
Absolutely first rate. Many complements TenX. THAT'S how a classic rifle should look.

And you can't go far wrong with a 6.5X55.
Barrel is #3 medium sporter, 1.25" at the action, .63 " at the muzzle. 25" long. Working up loads was kinda an adventure. It appears most reloading manuals are geared for the 96 mauser which isn't all that strong and I think they try to hold pressures around 45,000. However, I can stand quite a bit more in my rig but was on my own to figure it out. I found an old Hodgdon manual #26 which worked out great. Although the load I settled on (max in the Hodgdon manual) is probably plenty warm, I am getting absolutely no pressure signs.
Phil
What a beauty I forget how fantastic good Black Walnut can be. Good choice on the classic 6.5 your loads are about what I am getting with R26 after I dropped down quite a bit. Got over 3,000 fps but with pressure signs in hot weather so I am fine with the reduced all around load. If you are looking for more data look up the 6.5 SKAN it is an updated 6.5x55 loaded to higher pressures. Norma and some others list it.
The 6.5x55 will handle as much pressure as all standard calibers!

Its the old rifles that wont handle "modern day pressure"...

New brass and new rifles are just as "safe" as your standard 308 / 30-06.
Phil, IIRC I used 1.5 - 2.0 gr more powder in my Swede than 260, so I would look at good safe 260 data personally, as a guide.....I used Lapua brass fwiw.
Very nice rifle. Any work required to get it to feed correctly and what cartridge was it chambered for originally.
I have tried empty 6.5x55 cases in a pre 64 and they would not feed correctly without work.
That's a lovely rifle. Congrats!
Beautiful rifle... Congrats !
Based on the figure in that Walnut you found an exceptional blank. I sure would like to see additional pictures of the metal work. Enjoy!
Grace and panache. smile
Its just a standard 30-06 boltface, no problem feeding. The suggestion concerning 260 reloading data + a couple grains will help me, Thanks for the complements.

Phil
Beauty of a rifle! Sounds like a great shooting rig as well.

Good speed on those 130’s as well. That’s a killer load.
That’s a five star winner! Fine workmanship and a fine cartridge.
Originally Posted by szihn
Absolutely first rate. Many complements TenX. THAT'S how a classic rifle should look.

And you can't go far wrong with a 6.5X55.

Amen! Those 130 AB's should handle just about anything.
Very nice. That's definitely one to be proud of.
Very nice job , fantastic wood enjoy sir!
Outstanding black walnut!!! Superb caliber. Congrats!
© 24hourcampfire