Home
Posted By: scenarshooter Fresh Barrels.... - 09/25/19
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Re barrel jobs...

Two are 6 CM's
One 22 CM
One 6.5 SAUM
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/25/19
What's the purpose of the step in the two barrels on the left? Just weight reduction?
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/25/19
Originally Posted by David_Walter
What's the purpose of the step in the two barrels on the left? Just weight reduction?

That's for an AE 30 suppressor. It's a reflex suppressor that fits up to the shoulder of that angled cut.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/25/19
Were they starting to foul hard for you ?
dave
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/25/19
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Were they starting to foul hard for you ?
dave

Just losing velocity...I keep accurate round counts, and it's very predictable when a barrel is about "all in".
Our barrels tend to get hot.
2 minutes on a swinger and then 3 minutes for 5 targets..You keep banging away on that swinger.......
On the 6.5x47 we have pushed into the 2000 round count.
They start fouling...copper fouling..over 1500 the more you shoot them the more they foul.
Finally it just gets more work than its worth.Accuracy drops off.
Most of these are Bartliens.
I run a 6.5 SLR...its a touch more than a -47 and the extra powder takes the round count down ever farther then the -47.
I have a 1-7.5 twisted Keriger right now on a 12 pound light gun.That fouled from the get go.
Ran the Tubb dust and it has improved. But it still copper fouls.
I've rebarrelled two rifles at a time my 17 lb and a 12 lb.
Never did 4 at a time.
you da man..

dave
Posted By: kingston Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/25/19
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Our barrels tend to get hot.
2 minutes on a swinger and then 3 minutes for 5 targets..You keep banging away on that swinger.......
On the 6.5x47 we have pushed into the 2000 round count.
They start fouling...copper fouling..over 1500 the more you shoot them the more they foul.
Finally it just gets more work than its worth.Accuracy drops off.
Most of these are Bartliens.
I run a 6.5 SLR...its a touch more than a -47 and the extra powder takes the round count down ever farther then the -47.
I have a 1-7.5 twisted Keriger right now on a 12 pound light gun.That fouled from the get go.
Ran the Tubb dust and it has improved. But it still copper fouls.
I've rebarrelled two rifles at a time my 17 lb and a 12 lb.
Never did 4 at a time.
you da man..

dave

What game is this?
http://www.ridgwayrifleclub.com/

This is a good over view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nja3Ao1gqE0
Its called VBR.
Lots of fun and wore out barrels..

dave
Posted By: 805 Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/25/19
Pat
How many rounds did you have on the SAUM tube? I’m sure all those rifles will be punching holes in no time.
Posted By: xverminator Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/27/19
How many rounds did it take to kill the 22 Creed?

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: horse1 Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Re barrel jobs...

Two are 6 CM's
One 22 CM
One 6.5 SAUM

Hokey-Smokes Bullwinkle, only 2-weeks until Antelope rifle opener and 1-mo until Deer/Elk firearms season opens, whatever shall you do?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/28/19
I have 3 Bartleins cooking Aluma Hyde ii in the paint box right now. The cardboard coffin is running 100 degrees F with just a hotplate under it, and I think it is safe to go out and leave unattended. Earlier I had a heat gun in there and it was 150 degrees when I was getting ready to spray. That was a fire hazard.

This year I am doing short actions and BDC reticles.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/28/19
Originally Posted by horse1

Hokey-Smokes Bullwinkle, only 2-weeks until Antelope rifle opener and 1-mo until Deer/Elk firearms season opens, whatever shall you do?

Those don’t look like his hunting rifles
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by 805
Pat
How many rounds did you have on the SAUM tube? I’m sure all those rifles will be punching holes in no time.

2800+
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by xverminator
How many rounds did it take to kill the 22 Creed?

X-VERMINATOR

That was a shot out 6 Creed barrel,......
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have 3 Bartleins cooking Aluma Hyde ii in the paint box right now. The cardboard coffin is running 100 degrees F with just a hotplate under it, and I think it is safe to go out and leave unattended. Earlier I had a heat gun in there and it was 150 degrees when I was getting ready to spray. That was a fire hazard.

Exactly the reply I would expect from you. Has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Exactly the reply I would expect from you. Has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

My daughter wants a kitten Clark! Kaleb what are you talking about? 🤣😂. Pat very good looking rifles. AI mag what freebore did you go with in the gap4s I have another one in the works and my first was .081. Thinking about doing the same exact thing this time.

Pat also what brass my first gap 4s did amazing with 7saum Norma but it’s no where to be found at the moment. I grabbed a100 bertram this time hopefully they are as good as people say.
Posted By: pointer Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by David_Walter

That's for an AE 30 suppressor. It's a reflex suppressor that fits up to the shoulder of that angled cut.
While I know very little about suppressors that makes a ton of sense as it'd keep from adding so much length. Many other's than AE do that?
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 10/07/19
Did they need rebedded??
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 10/07/19
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Did they need rebedded??

Just the barrel pad area(shank), gets re bedded.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 10/09/19
Cool!

That’s a whole lot of hunting fun right there
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Did they need rebedded??

Just the barrel pad area(shank), gets re bedded.

Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 10/10/19
Did you do them yourself or did you send them off?
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Did you do them yourself or did you send them off?

GA Precision
Posted By: irfubar Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 10/10/19
Pat,
I am curious, do expect and get the same accuracy with the new barrels? Have you ever been disappointed and lost a little accuracy? or maybe gained a bit?
Originally Posted by irfubar
Pat,
I am curious, do expect and get the same accuracy with the new barrels? Have you ever been disappointed and lost a little accuracy? or maybe gained a bit?

I've been lucky so far, and all of the new barrels have shot as good, or better than the replacements. In fact on a few of them, after I put the scopes back on them, I have not had to even re adjust the scope, and if I did have

to re zero, it was only a few tenth's.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 10/10/19
Thanks Pat,

That is interesting and useful info. I suspect it is also a testament to the quality of the Bartlien barrels and GA precision machining.....

I have often worried when a favorite barrel burns out the new won't be as accurate.
Posted By: gremcat Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 10/13/19
I would think if anything maybe slight gains/losses in velocity. Minuscule but to some those single digit fps seem important. I’m nowhere near capable enough to even notice and it’s probably mostly irrelevant unless your in a very competitive tightly regulated style of comp. I rarely hear of dogs from barrel
makers anymore. I’d not worry about a quality barrel spun on by a well known plumber. My worry lately has been my poor planning/terrible schedule and their backlogs. Judging from his pics Pat doesn’t have that same constraint. Hope you tag a few more monsters this season.
Posted By: xrangerx Re: Fresh Barrels.... - 11/14/19
What stocks and bottom metal are you running on those?
© 24hourcampfire