Home
Posted By: CHS 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
I am thinking of converting my old bdl 7mm to a 257 weatherby. I am looking at getting a bartlein 5R 1:10 #13 varmint Sendero style and my question to the group is if this is even possible and will I be able to use the same factory bdl wood stock or will I need to get a new stock.

Thanks
Posted By: Judman Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
I would go Rem sporter, or Mag sporter, whichever your 7 mag has, which is probably a mag, flute, and kill shiit handily... great cartridge.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
I agree on the lighter contour. Took me a rebarrel to learn the too-heavy lesson once upon a time.

I would go 7.25 twist so I could try the 131 Black Jack bullets.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
Originally Posted by CHS
I am thinking of converting my old bdl 7mm to a 257 weatherby. I am looking at getting a bartlein 5R 1:10 #13 varmint Sendero style and my question to the group is if this is even possible and will I be able to use the same factory bdl wood stock or will I need to get a new stock.

Thanks

My guess is you would need a new stock.
Posted By: mathman Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
Just get one of the #3 Bartleins that Bugholes has in stock. No waiting. The factory wood can be opened up to accommodate, and it won't be a pig like it would be with a Sendero profile.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
Go with a number 2 contour. If you are going to hunt with it you will hate the sendero barrel very quickly. I have been there and done that.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
I'd buy one of the #3's at bugholes and then send it to Shaen to contour and dupe the profile of your existing barrel.

but, if you want the heavy barrel, I'm thinking you're going to need a new stock to fit that one. I don't think the factory BDL will have enough meat to hog it out.
Posted By: 805 Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
If you want to use the same stock without modification get a Rem mag contour. If going with Bartlein that’s a #19. If you want a little bit heavier go with a 2b and short shank. Factory stock can be easily modified for a 2b.
Posted By: CHS Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
Thank you for all the great feedback. Just out of curiosity has anyone done what I am trying to do
Posted By: efw Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/26/19
If you went that heavy you’d need a new stock.

If you do decide to go that heavy definitely don’t do a 10” twist; at least a 9” if not faster.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/27/19
Sell the BDL and buy a SS Wthby Vanguard. You'll be dollars ahead and have a great rifle with a #2 contour sporter barrel.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/27/19
My first .257 Weatherby was a Vanguard sporter (walnut stock) with a 24" barrel, which shot VERY accurately--and killed a bunch of big game.

But it weighed around 9 pounds scoped, so I eventually ordered a New Ultra Light Arms Model 28 with a #2 Douglas 24" barrel. It shoots just as well--3-shot groups at 200 well under an inch--but weighs less than 7 pounds with scope.

As others have suggested, .257 Wby. rifles do not have to weigh a lot to shoot very well.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/27/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My first .257 Weatherby was a Vanguard sporter (walnut stock) with a 24" barrel, which shot VERY accurately--and killed a bunch of big game.

But it weighed around 9 pounds scoped, so I eventually ordered a New Ultra Light Arms Model 28 with a #2 Douglas 24" barrel. It shoots just as well--3-shot groups at 200 well under an inch--but weighs less than 7 pounds with scope.

As others have suggested, .257 Wby. rifles do not have to weigh a lot to shoot very well.

That sounds like a nice one MD...
Posted By: dale06 Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/30/19
Mine is a custom, Sako action, lilja barrel 26”, McMillan stock. It’s killed lots of antelope and deer, plus a few coyotes that thought they were out of range. It’s my favorite rifle. Don’t know what it weighs.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/30/19
I recently had Bartlein rebarrel my .257 and went with a 9 twist. A magnum sporter contour will be as heavy as you want to go, especially with a 24 -26" barrel. I am assuming this is a hunting rifle because a .257 bee is not a range rifle. It shoots 1/2" MOA at 100 yards with H1000 and 100 gr TTSX.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: 257 Roy Build - 11/30/19
Originally Posted by CHS
Thank you for all the great feedback. Just out of curiosity has anyone done what I am trying to do

What will the rifle be used for ?
Everything?game?varmints?
High velocity splat or longrange work ?

Always thought a 257B throated for 90gr. sierra blitzkings would make a great coyote/crow/varmint smacker .
Posted By: CHS Re: 257 Roy Build - 12/01/19
Mainly planned on it being used for an antelope gun
Posted By: mohave_mauler1 Re: 257 Roy Build - 12/02/19
Originally Posted by CHS

I just put one together, had pac-nor rebarrel and true a weatherby vanguard action. Went with a #3 contour and really like it. Put it in a McMillan and added a timney. I havent got to shoot it yet, but hope to next week.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 257 Roy Build - 12/05/19
Definately go 1-9 or faster. Even with the speed of the Roy the faster twist is better for bullets over 100 grains. Take a look at Black Jack and Hammer bullets, they have some long 25 caliber bullets that at least Hammer recommends a 1-6 twist which is hard to find although Bartlein can do it and a couple of others. The fast twist may splatter varmint and some target bullets but it will also increase the red mist effect and may be more lethal on big game.

I went 1-9 for my 25-06 for the 115 Berger but now wish I had gone faster.
Posted By: micky Re: 257 Roy Build - 12/07/19
Aren't all Weatherby's 10 twist? I am in a similar spot as the OP but I am starting with an Abolt in 338 win. I was thinking a 9 twist would be great with the 110gr plus bullets but you guys are making me question that.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 257 Roy Build - 12/07/19
When I had my .257 rebarreled by Bartlein, I went with a 9 twist. Seems like bullets are getting heavier (longer) not shorter these days. Maybe there will be a high BC hunting bullet for us .257 bee fans one of these days.

Older German Weatherby .257's had a slow 12 twist.
Posted By: horse1 Re: 257 Roy Build - 12/08/19
Lilja #3 1:10 3 groove is part of their in-stock program and should be a very close fit for your current bbl channel.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 257 Roy Build - 12/10/19
I would go faster than 1-10 but you can't argue with how they work. I went 1-9 for my 25-06 specifically for the Berger 115s and it has worked well but I have heard of other rifles with a 1-10 that didn't shoot them well. If I do a 257 W I might even go faster so I can try some Hammer and Black Jack VLD heavy weights.
© 24hourcampfire