Home
Posted By: dale06 Custom 224 weatherby - 12/05/19

Has anyone built a custom rifle on a Rem 700 action in 224 weatherby and had it reliably feed from the magazine?
I understand that it would require a bolt face modification. I like odd ball cartridges and always wanted to build this gun.
I tried several pieces of 224 wby brass in a Rem 700 223, didn’t feed.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Custom 224 weatherby - 12/05/19
Try one in a 22-250 rifle and I bet it will feed. The venturi shoulder may not do anything for gas combustion but it does help with smooth feeding. I have not seen the 224 but have seen a couple of it's big brother the 240 W on unaltered 700 actions. These used 25-06 followers and magazines and fed fine.

The 22-250 or Swift magazine and follower should work, but I have not tried this.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Custom 224 weatherby - 12/05/19
Thanks Tejano. I actually have a 240 WBY custom on a Rem 700 action. It feeds fine.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Custom 224 weatherby - 12/05/19
You seldom if ever encounter a 224WBY factory rifle in my area, let alone a custom one. It is an interesting cartridge that just never caught on
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Custom 224 weatherby - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by dale06

Has anyone built a custom rifle on a Rem 700 action in 224 weatherby and had it reliably feed from the magazine?
I understand that it would require a bolt face modification. I like odd ball cartridges and always wanted to build this gun.
I tried several pieces of 224 wby brass in a Rem 700 223, didn’t feed.

The 224 Wby is a dog Schit chambering,maligned with SCHIT brass. Hint. congratulations?!?

I'd MUCH rather 224 Grendel and drive Lapooey...if only because I shoot it all and then some,if forced to deviate a .378" boltface. Hint.

Pass the 6-06,over the 240,if only because I shoot that too and for like reasons.

Hint..................
Posted By: greydog Re: Custom 224 weatherby - 12/06/19
I have owned reamers for every Weatherby cartridge save one. Guess which one that is. I can't imagine why Weatherby ever came up with that one; a cartridge which was out performed by other cartridges which were readily available. If you like oddball though, it would be dificult to be more oddball than that. GD
Posted By: dale06 Re: Custom 224 weatherby - 12/06/19
True, it is out performed by some others. And that is the case with essentially every other cartridge, including all of the new short mags, the creedmoors, etc.
That’s what make it interesting, I guess.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Custom 224 weatherby - 12/07/19
It is a MAGNIFICENTLY schitty chambering,fraught with absolute fhuqking Dog Schit brass. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Stupid ain't ever interesting. Hint.

The 224 Grendel with 88's,is a fhuqking BEAST and I have it on good authority,that a 22BR don't suck either. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

22BR here,even though it's a Fhuqking Krieger. I shoot Lapooey brass in it. Hint.

Just might be an 88 launcher here. I shoot Lapooey brass in it. Hint.

Though in fairness...I prolly shoot a few other .224's as well. Hint.

Just sayin'....................
© 24hourcampfire