Home
I acquired an amazing rifle this last November while hunting whitetail with my wife, uncle and good friend, It’s a pre 64 Winchester that was completely rebuilt by AL Biesen,
Part of the deal was that I have to hunt the rifle next opening day, Along side its previous owner as he fields his past father’s Remington 721 in 270 Winchester also built by Al.
So in preparation for this event which I’m looking very much forward too. I decided to get started and zero the rifle and work up a load. The obvious choice for me was 165gn nosler BT, 59grains of RL 22 and some Winchester brass I had laying around. I even scrounged up a vintage Winchester box to hold the ammo. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here is the first shot fired from this rifle, in my ownership of it.

https://youtu.be/KBQQ19UwovE

It hit low and left, I made the correct and hit dead zero, I then moved the adjustments to a 1 1/2” above zero and fired three shots. I was very pleased with the results.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It’s now cleaned and in a special place in my safe that nothing else can bump into it.

I’m very blessed to be able to obtain such an amazing rifle. 🙏
The Biesen has the steel but plate with compartment amazingly inleted pistol grip cap, with hand checkering that’s deep and beautiful. The metal has rich blueing that one can see no bottom in. The stock is English walnut. It’s original owner will always walk the field with the rifle as a silver coin with his Initials is meticulously and fit into the stock. To top it all off is a period correct Ziess 3-9x36 scope that tracked perfectly while zeroing. I will post more pics as I take them.
Yes please, more pics of that wood and checkering would be nice......and Congrats!

All I can say is WOW...😳😳😳
Beautiful rifle, congrats!
Does Sitka come in red plaid? That's what I'd be wearing to do justice to carrying that around......

Kaiser Norton
Fantastic! Now go forth and kill big game with it,Fred!
Absolutely beautiful! I'm glad you're going to hunt with it, too. Good luck!
That is nice!
Man oh man so nice!
Congratulations on a GRAND rifle.
Man that has some nice grain in the stock - congrats that is a rifle to be proud of. Hope it brings you much luck hunting - expecting to see it draped over a nice buck next year wink
Fred, this brings a tear to my eye....... smile
Beautiful rifle. You must have a giant safe if there is an empty space so big that nothing can bump into it.
NICE Furd!

I am in hard on mode for another fancy wood stocked rifle myself. Doesn’t come around very often... and your original Biesen post didn’t help. Grin...
That’s an amazing rifle. Congrats Fred. It’s a shooter and a looker.
That rifle is perfection. Enjoy.
He made some fine rifles, I had a 7mm Weatherby he built. I don’t think the wood was as good as yours.
That made my night!
Congratulations on a score of a lifetime....
What a beautiful rifle.
Such a fantastic rifle Fred!!!!
Wow, just wow!!!!
Fred.... Fantastic. My dad, Al Biesen and Bill Steigers (Bitterroot Bullets) were hunting buddies.
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Fred.... Fantastic. My dad, Al Biesen and Bill Steigers (Bitterroot Bullets) were hunting buddies.

I’m sure they had great gear. 😎.
Originally Posted by Higbean
Such a fantastic rifle Fred!!!!

I’m going to try, for a first kill! head shot. 🤜🏻
Thanks guys.
Beauty!
Thanks for sharing, enjoy that classy rifle...
Beautiful rifle. Congrats !
Just stunning Fred !
That is a gorgeous piece of Walnut.
Every time I see one of his rifles the thing that always sticks out is the wood and his stock work.
Probably one of the best rifle stock makers in history.
Absolutely beautiful.
One tip....go buy one of those silicone impregnated socks and slide it in it before you put it in the safe. It ensures nothing can ding it or scratch it. I do it to all my rifles.
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Absolutely beautiful.
One tip....go buy one of those silicone impregnated socks and slide it in it before you put it in the safe. It ensures nothing can ding it or scratch it. I do it to all my rifles.

I cut a 1/2” sheet of plywood to the size I wanted and contact glued the closest colored felt I could find to match the inside of my safe on it. Then used angled shelf brackets to hold it in place made a nice little compartment for it.

Wow !
Is all I can say. Stunning....
I hate you.
Simply amazing. Wow
That's a very beautiful rifle, congrats & enjoy it.

MM
I agree with what everyone else has already said--a gorgeous rifle.
Beautiful!!! Truly a work of art.
Awesome rifle.
Just got off the phone with the gentleman I purchased this rifle from.
I’m now understanding that yesterday may very well have been the first time this rifle has been fired in it’s restored condition.
He told me he never used it and his uncle to his knowledge had not either.
Guess the barrel will hold up through the season 😉.
I Also believe the next shots will be from my couch and not the recliner.

THANKS FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS MEN!!
It’s the kinda rifle that deserves to be seen Al was a true master gun maker.
Holy throw back. That is old school drop dead beautiful. .30-06 too! Best of luck with that fine rifle! I hope you enjoy it for many, many years.
That truly is a fine rifle.

FredIII, who made the carved sling on your rifle?
Dare I ask the question everyone is dying to know...What did it set you back?
Hell of a nice rifle, congrats.
Nice. Makes me want to get out my 257 Rbts custom Win 70 and shoot it some.

Fair amount. I seen one go at auction for 5200$ with a 💩 rubber butt pad. 😉

That's a beauty for sure. Despite being made to shoot, I'd still have a hard time letting it leave the safety of the safe.
Originally Posted by aalf

That's a beauty for sure. Despite being made to shoot, I'd still have a hard time letting it leave the safety of the safe.

LOL I hear, ya! Knew an old timer, that ask me once when I told him his pre64 300 wm in perfect condition was to nice to hunt.
“ ever see a gal to cute to screw” I still laugh over it, man admired that guy.
It’s a beaut.
Love the streaks in the wood.
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by aalf

LOL I hear, ya! Knew an old timer, that ask me once when I told him his pre64 300 wm in perfect condition was to nice to hunt.
“ ever see a gal to cute to screw” I still laugh over it, man admired that guy.

He wasn't wrong....ha ha.....

I sold a rare 40-XR due to rising values, and scared I'd ding the wood.

Fair amount. I seen one go at auction for 5200$ with a 💩 rubber butt pad. 😉
Worth every penny
Wow man what an absolutely gorgeously functional hunting rifle I love it congratulations!

They didn't have to wish they had fine rifles and incredible bullets.

They didn't have to wish they had fine rifles and incredible bullets.

No, they had the best of the best.
Thanks for posting Fred. That is a beautiful rig.
Extraordinarily beautiful rifle Fred.

Biesen surely is smiling and clapping seeing it put to use.

Congratulations, and well done sir. 😊👍
Fred, you are a lucky man. To be fortunate enough to be caretaker of a beautiful rifle like that is a blessing few of us will ever know, but it is often enough to dream. Enjoy that rifle when in the field, and hopefully you have an offspring that you can pass it on to. Thanks for sharing it with us. Russ
Thank you for the kind words. I have a son who is going to get it when I’m dead. He will know how important it is.
Sir that rifle is the culmination of my dream rifle. I will never own one but I congratulate you on your beautiful acquisition. It's beautiful beyond description.
Hella nice! doesn't even begin to describe it.
Originally Posted by dave284
Hella nice! doesn't even begin to describe it.

It’s even better in person. 🙏

If you have some old photos of those guys, try to post them. You can scan into your pictures file, upload to Imgur and post.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

If you have some old photos of those guys, try to post them. You can scan into your pictures file, upload to Imgur and post.

DF

That would be really cool
I’d use that sexy svelte sumbitch on every “dry” hunt I went on!! Ie; Wyoming Montana etc
I will see how it handles eastern WA deer next year and go from there.
It was made to use.

DF
Beautiful rifle! Hunt it, that’s what it’s meant to do! Looking forward to pics of a memorable hunt.
OOF!

I'm sinning here, that rifle makes me covet another's things.

That's a fabulous rifle Fred, congratulations on an incredible score.
Thank you so very much. It is very much loved.
Good people the Biesen's. High school buddy in Spokane married his daughter. Or if it was senior his granddaughter. Which Biesen did the work?
Originally Posted by Shag
Good people the Biesen's. High school buddy in Spokane married his daughter. Or if it was senior his granddaughter. Which Biesen did the work?

Barrel is marked AL Biesen. I can post pictures of the maker mark maybe you can give me an answer I do not know.
© 24hourcampfire