Home
Posted By: Judman Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
Curious..
Cost twice as much as the rifle! Then again I've bought two kimbers for $1000-$1150 and had to spend another $600 rebarreling and bedding them.....
Posted By: Judman Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
$800 to rebarrel one???
Originally Posted by Judman
$800 to rebarrel one???

Accuracy issue? Want a chambering or twist they don't offer?
Not a lot of after market support in the way of stocks, triggers etc... So using as the basis for a custom doesn't make a lot of sense, for the price it'd be cheaper to trip and buy another if you were having accuracy or mechanical issues with it.
Well, thinkin predator, 6 ai... just punch ai I guess 9" would work I guess....
Posted By: irfubar Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
Hell no Jud... RAR's are disposable rifles.... shoot the crap out of them then throw them away.
They're doing a 6mm Remington?! Damn, that's out of the box thinking.... Pretty wild. These days I'm almost surprised to see them chambering .243 much less a 6mm.
They oughta go full old school and chamber the Swift.
Originally Posted by irfubar
Hell no Jud... RAR's are disposable rifles.... shoot the crap out of them then throw them away.

Ruger has always offered chamberings others wouldn't.
6PPC, 405win, 30-40 Krag, .357 and .44 mag. in multiple rifle platforms, 256 win mag in handgun...
Originally Posted by jackmountain
They're doing a 6mm Remington?! Damn, that's out of the box thinking.... Pretty wild. These days I'm almost surprised to see them chambering .243 much less a 6mm.

Long live the SWIFT......... smile

Must say though an RAR in a swift? that ain't right
Posted By: super T Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
Rebarrel a RAR? Why? Isn't that somewhat like putting a $500 saddle on a $20 horse ?

Get it rust blued and stocked in a nice piece of circassian walnut! Maybe case harden receiver with matching rings and bases?
God Damn rough crowd.... grin

For reference 700 adls are cheaper...
Posted By: dale06 Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by super T
Rebarrel a RAR? Why? Isn't that somewhat like putting a $500 saddle on a $20 horse ?

Well stated.
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
I haven’t, but see no reason not to.
15 posts, and no one's brought up creedmoor or Tikka....this place is slipping.

Get it rust blued and stocked in a nice piece of circassian walnut! Maybe case harden receiver with matching rings and bases?

That is some forward thinkin jack...... wink
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
Sell the RAR, get a t3x 6.5 Creedmoor and spend the leftover on a lifetime hunt........
Originally Posted by Shooter71
Sell the RAR, get a t3x 6.5 Creedmoor and spend the leftover on a lifetime hunt........

😂😂
A ai punch, should be a roll of Copenhagen or so?? Haha
I am thinkin of ordering A B&C stock for my RAR... is that crazy? have I lost my mind?
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19

What is the mag length on those?? I guess it won't matter because you can't use heavies anyway. Had a 6 AI and just couldn't get into it.
I am thinkin of ordering A B&C stock for my RAR... is that crazy? have I lost my mind?

I'd go manners. I read they have really good QC, turn around times and CS somewhere on here.... (Grin)

I'd go manners. I read they have really good QC, turn around times and CS somewhere on here.... (Grin)

You jack, are not to be trusted...... smile
Posted By: fredIII Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
I put a prefit mcgowen in 243ai on my RAR when the 243 barrel hit 2400 rounds. Pretty sure it was 360$ chambered and shipped.
Mcgowen is at 1500 and looks pretty ugly inside.
Will order another when it pukes and keep on keeping on. 😉
Also put the stupid thing in a MDT chassis with a folder Incase I want to back pack it.
Posted By: Girlhunter Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
https://patriotvalleyarms.com/ruger-american-prefit-barrel/
The action design is similar to the T3, so regardless of the price you're getting a good action that's worth re-barreling. Timney makes an excellent trigger for the RAR. MDT makes awesome chassis', I've got a RAR-P sitting in an ESS. The rifle uses a barrel nut system for Remage-type quick barrel changes using prefits. Why not re-barrel if that's what a guy wants to do? Taking that special edition 6mm Rem and punching AI is the "easy button", Jud, if you're set on a 6mm Rem-based rig.
Yep.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

243ai fits mag length way better than 6mm but some people don’t care
Nice rifle, Fred! I see you've got your favorite scope mounted on it.

grin
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

grin

Ya the optic does what it’s intended for on this application.
Don’t chase big fur, with it just gophers. The glass sucks 😉

And to the trigger comment Jordan, if a guy takes the two stage blade off the stock trigger and does a little cleanup and spring work. The factory trigger will work fine. Mine goes bang at 2# every time with no creep or backlash.
Posted By: mathman Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19

9" would work for your ping pong balls. grin
Originally Posted by fredIII

grin

Ya the optic does what it’s intended for on this application.
Don’t chase big fur, with it just gophers. The glass sucks 😉

And to the trigger comment Jordan, if a guy takes the two stage blade off the stock trigger and does a little cleanup and spring work. The factory trigger will work fine. Mine goes bang at 2# every time with no creep or backlash.

Yeah the factory trigger can be made pretty decent, but the Timney is a fair bit better, IMO.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/10/19
The action design is similar to the T3, so regardless of the price you're getting a good action that's worth re-barreling. Timney makes an excellent trigger for the RAR. MDT makes awesome chassis', I've got a RAR-P sitting in an ESS. The rifle uses a barrel nut system for Remage-type quick barrel changes using prefits. Why not re-barrel if that's what a guy wants to do? Taking that special edition 6mm Rem and punching AI is the "easy button", Jud, if you're set on a 6mm Rem-based rig.

This. They are actually a pretty good action, regardless what they cost; I'd way rather put money into re-barreling one of these than another 700 or Mauser if I'm looking for a shooter.

Once you get the barrel nut off the first time, it's a pretty easy barrel swap with a lot of possibilities for wildcats or unusual chamberings.
I wouldn't mind a .350 barrel for my ranch rifle 5.56

Mike
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/11/19
Put my LH RAR 6.5 Creedmoor in Boyds laminate 6 X 42 SWFA and its the most accurate 6.5 Creedmoor I own. Heavy but accurate.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/11/19
15 posts, and no one's brought up creedmoor or Tikka....this place is slipping.

There’s gotta be a 6CM T3 coming......some day.
https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/product/ruger-american-variable-shoulder-999x16p/
if you want to rebarrel something cheap, look at a remington 783
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/12/19

This is the way I will go if I make my RAR a 6x45...still trying to convince myself I will gain anything over the blackout that shoots sub moa.

I did take the barrel off and tighten up the headspace. Does that count?
Posted By: Yondering Re: Anyone rebarrel a RAR? - 12/12/19
Originally Posted by vabowhntr

I did take the barrel off and tighten up the headspace. Does that count?

If you're loading your own (which you certainly will be with a 6x45, so presumably you do for the Blackout as well) - there's no need to "tighten up the headspace" by setting the barrel back. Just adjust your sizing dies to match the chamber, measuring for .001-.002" shoulder bump. When you do that, headspace is perfect regardless how the chamber is cut.
Sure a practice run!

Did you tear up and replace the original nut?

Mike
© 24hourcampfire