Home
I have used nothing but Jewell triggers in my custom rifles and never had any issues. Hearing a lot about TriggerTech these days...whats the scoop??

I am interested in the TriggerTech Special and Diamond triggers.
I haven’t used the Jewel but I can tell you the Triggertech Diamonds are awesome. I can’t imagine wishing for better.

John
Yes the TT are that good. AND the price is right too.
I have a half dozen jewels and one Trigger Tech special I just bought for a 700 Ti. I am very impressed with the Trigger Tech. I haven’t talked to anyone who disliked one after trying it, but like a lot of other things triggers are a personal thing. They are in the same league, you are probably going to have to try one to see what you think.
Good info...I appreciate it guys!!
I go against the grain and still prefer the pull of a properly tuned Jewell. That said, the TriggerTech pull is still very good and is a safer, more reliable design. For a hunting rig there no reason to not go with Triggertech.
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I go against the grain and still prefer the pull of a properly tuned Jewell. That said, the TriggerTech pull is still very good and is a safer, more reliable design. For a hunting rig there no reason to not go with Triggertech.

Kind of what my thinking was. My plan from here on out was to keep Jewells on my varmint Rigs and Triggertech on my big game rifles.
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Clint,

Which model of TT are you referring to?
I am considering the Diamond version...its pricey!!
For a hunting rifle I sure like the TirggerTechs. I'm down to only 1 Jewell which will soon be replaced by a TT. For me anyway I much prefer the trigger shoe width on the TT, the Jewell has always seemed kind of thin to me.
I love my Triggertech primary. Couldn’t recommend something more highly.
The Diamonds have no equal. That’s compared to Jewels, Hubers, Bix&Andys, Calvin Elites, standard Timneys, Rifle Basix, etc etc. Wish they’d hurry up and get the 2 stages out....

The Primarys are very solid as well.
I know everyone loves Jewell triggers. I personally have had only one, on a Surgeon 7STW. I only shot factory ammo and never had any ammo problems. After 60 or so rounds the trigger died. I called Jewell. Guy who answered only spoke Spanish. I speak Spanish but wanted a second guy who spoke English in case conversation got complicated. I returned it to Jewell for repair. It had broken a lever inside. I waited a long time for return and finally called again. They had lost the trigger in the shop, finally found it, and were now going to work on it. A week or two later they called back for $75 payment for repair. They said the only way the lever could have broken was if I had blown a case, and the back pressure had broken the trigger lever, and it would cost me. No such thing had happened. Obviously no warranty for a faulty product. True story and I swear to it. I love Triggertech. Also very good experience with Timney and Shilen.
I've heard sand/dirt and Jewell's don't get along too well. Anybody experienced problems due to that??

I had 6 or 7 at one time mounted on rifles, and only have one left.
Originally Posted by smy1
I know everyone loves Jewell triggers. I personally have had only one, on a Surgeon 7STW. I only shot factory ammo and never had any ammo problems. After 60 or so rounds the trigger died. I called Jewell. Guy who answered only spoke Spanish. I speak Spanish but wanted a second guy who spoke English in case conversation got complicated. I returned it to Jewell for repair. It had broken a lever inside. I waited a long time for return and finally called again. They had lost the trigger in the shop, finally found it, and were now going to work on it. A week or two later they called back for $75 payment for repair. They said the only way the lever could have broken was if I had blown a case, and the back pressure had broken the trigger lever, and it would cost me. No such thing had happened. Obviously no warranty for a faulty product. True story and I swear to it. I love Triggertech. Also very good experience with Timney and Shilen.

That does suck. Did you buy it new??
yes
I've had both;The Jewell feels like it has creep to me when adjusted over a pound. The TriggerTechs are very crisp. I also have always been concerned with popping a primer with the Jewell as they are fragile triggers. The TriggerTechs are priced right and are frictionless. The CLKR feature in adjusting pull weight makes it pretty fool proof. Each click of the pull weight adjustment screw is about ~1 oz. on the Primary.
Two Trigger Tech Specials and so far so good. Really like them. No experience with Jewell.
rookie
I have one Jewell and three Trigge rtech's I do not have a Diamond and personally for me don't see a need for it. The Primary and Specials are great.
I have been very happy with the Trigger Tech Specials.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I've heard sand/dirt and Jewell's don't get along too well. Anybody experienced problems due to that??

Yes. I had a jewell seize up on last years annual prairie dog trip. It is pretty dusty where we shoot but not anything crazy. Ran some lighter fluid through it and got it working again but it made me nervous about my big game rifles with jewells. After my first Triggertech I will be switching all my big game rifles to them.
I have two Jewels and one Triggertech Diamond. Just yesterday I adjusted them all to what felt like the same pull weight. I don't have my pull gage at hand, so I did it by feel. All are adjusted down to where I can place my finger on the trigger without it going bang, and then just mostly think about breaking the shot and have it go off. I drop tested them all by dropping the rifles on the butts from about 9" off the floor. None went off.

I didn't spend a lot of time dry firing to compare, but the ten minutes I did spend led me to believe I would not be able to tell them apart in a blind test.
I have had some problems with Jewells made in recent years, namely timing issues that require the bolt to be drawn slightly to the rear before the rifle will cock. Some say that QC has slipped since the death of the company's founder but that's pretty subjective.

I have a handful each of Timney Calvin Elites, Triggertech Specials and one TT Diamond. I've had nothing but good results with all of them on Remington, Defiance and Borden actions. My last 5-6 builds have used Triggertechs.
I can’t tell the difference between the two to justify the price for Jewell’s. My last triggers have been Triggertech.
GreggH
I have TT Diamond Pro Curves on all my bolt guns and I'm not looking back.
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

This^^^
The trigger techs don’t go down to benchrest pull weight levels...

BUT for tactical work OMG they are sweet... I’ve gone to Trigger Tech myself and am very happy.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The trigger techs don’t go down to benchrest pull weight levels...

BUT for tactical work OMG they are sweet... I’ve gone to Trigger Tech myself and am very happy.

The Diamonds adjust down to 4ozs.

Not sure what BR guys want in pull weight, but can’t see much less than that?
For folks that like a two stage trigger, Geiselle now is making a nice one for the R700.

I prefer TriggerTech, Midway is having a sale here:

https://www.midwayusa.com/triggertech/b?bid=1099962

Plus free shipping with code "FREESHIP0117"

SD
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

This^^^

Nah... THIS!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TT diamond pro curved's AND D-5 trigger shoes.....

I have had (have) both. The Jewells on comp rifles set at 1 1/2 oz were great never slammed fire or failed to cock.

Have one on a .308 hunting rile for at last 10 years set at 2#. Never a issue but every once in a while starts to creep. A shot of lighter fluid and its good to go.

Have had a trigger tech set at 1 3/4 for two years. No issues. The safety is more crisp on the trigger tech.

Heard from 2 gunsmiths that there have been issues with recent Jewells. Machining in the trigger hanger?

Lefty
Thanks for great info everybody....appreciate it!!

TriggerTech it is....WOO!!
TT Diamond is my top choice. I probably have 10-12 rifles with Jewells and won't replace them, but all of my new builds will be equipped with TT's....
I have two more waiting. I like them. Not sure I need a Diamond the primary and specials have worked great. What am I getting from a Diamond over the Primary or Special besides a lower pull weight?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
i have a special and a primary and really cant tell a difference....i have been really happy with the timneys that cam in my fieldcrafts and i have been able to adjust them to a lower poundage that the trigger techs....seems i cant get the trigger techs down as far as i would like and specified on the tt trigger
TT is a nice trigger. My only complaint is that they are non adjustable for sear engagement.
My TT complaint is they don’t make them for the model 70 moa.
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
For a hunting rifle I sure like the TirggerTechs. I'm down to only 1 Jewell which will soon be replaced by a TT. For me anyway I much prefer the trigger shoe width on the TT, the Jewell has always seemed kind of thin to me.

This. I also really like TT’s flat shoe. The safety is much more positive on the TT. I do wish they’d come out with an M70.
I use Jewell's on my varmint rifles and am interested in the trigger tech that goes to #1. Curious if their claim of feeling 0.5# lower then the gauge says actually feels that way. Would like a trigger tech that feels like the 8 ounces I set my jewels at, but suspect the way to "feel" like my jewels is to get the diamond? Anyone try the #1 I believe SPECIAL version, which is what I would like to try, but your feedback- experience would help me decide.

Thanks
I've got a Special w/ pro curve shoe and it's great, but the Diamond is just that much better and will do everything you are wanting to do without removing it from the stock.

I've only owned 2 and they were both temperamental in general and aggravating when dusty/dirty. I sent them to others that think highly of them and shifted to Timney (variety) and Shilen (2 ounce). Couple of years ago I tried a TT and now have four. I've only tired Primary and Special models, but haven't experienced a hiccup and they've had ample opportunity to fail. They've proven to be robust so far...

Yes got sugar sand in the action and I am still trying to get the trigger back to where it was, I might still take it back to Jewell. It affected the safety more than the trigger so I can live with it.

Lighter pulls Jewell heavier TT but I will be using more Trigger Techs on hunting rifles due to the better ability to work if dirty.

Is the Diamond worth the premium price? Most of my hunting rifle are at 2.75 lbs if this is a factor.
no comparison.the diamond is the finest single stage trigger ever made.for under 20 oz pull weight ithas no equal.the special is all you ever need in a big game rifle.at 2 lb pull its awesome.bix & andy for 2 stage right now and the safety is awesome.also cheaper and a awesome hunting trigger is a tuned up shilen.
Are the Trigger Tech triggers easy to install in the 700 or do I need a gunsmith to do it?
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Are the Trigger Tech triggers easy to install in the 700 or do I need a gunsmith to do it?

It's a drop in unit. You just have to fiddle with the spring and bolt stop to get it right.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

700 triggers are easy to change out and Trigger Techs are no different.

Couple of pins and a wonky bolt release is all.
Ok,thanks guys. smile
Originally Posted by Tejano

Yes got sugar sand in the action and I am still trying to get the trigger back to where it was, I might still take it back to Jewell. It affected the safety more than the trigger so I can live with it.

Lighter pulls Jewell heavier TT but I will be using more Trigger Techs on hunting rifles due to the better ability to work if dirty.

Is the Diamond worth the premium price? Most of my hunting rifle are at 2.75 lbs if this is a factor.

I've had a Jewell on my main hunting rifle for close to 20 years. Its been through all sorts of nasty/rough conditions and I have never had a single issue with it.
Just had an experience with TriggerTech customer service and they were prompt, helpful and friendly. Had a trigger get stuck in the safe position. Not sure what happened internally but I just mailed it to their return center. They shipped me a new replacement today also. Once they diagnose it the technician said he will email me the results also.
Anyone else have this problem? Just glad it wasn’t on a hunt!
Elk hunter watch a U-Tube video on the swap out. The only trick or tip is to leave the drift pin holding the bolt stop in place with enough protrusion to keep the stop in position. The spring is fiddly to get back on and is the only thing I have screwed up on a trigger change.
Bump
Triggertechs are good triggers but they're not a Jewell. On my prairie dog rifles I use Jewells, on a hunting rifle the Triggertech is plenty good enough.
© 24hourcampfire