Home
Looking at different McMillan stocks for a new rifle and could use some assistance. I intend to get a new stainless featherweight Model 70 270 Winchester in a few months and stock it with a new McMillan. I have had several Remington McMillans but only a single Winchester pattern (my current featherweight stock) and would like something different. I was looking at the super grade, classic and compact; the featherweight pattern is my fall back. I like the super grade (looks very close to a Remington classic which I like) best for this rifle but am unsure of the width of the barrel channel with a featherweight barreled action. I also vaguely recall a discussion of a Winchester pattern to stay away from. What have you used on featherweights? Any insight is appreciated.
I used a mcm hunters edge for my featherweight
I have a Hunter's Edge on a FTW 6.5x55 and wouldn't change a thing.
Another option is the Legend by D'Arcy Echols. Here's a link to his Legend rifle, but unless you want to spend MEGA bucks, just buy the stock. It's made by McM for D'Arcy but they can't sell it direct. It's a really nice shape and you can get it with Edge fill. Price is about what McM charges.

https://echolsrifles.com/pages/legend

Here's a 404J I built on a 300 RUM donor. Stock does have a nice shape. It should, D'Arcy designed. it. Handles well.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I was just about to and ask the same question. I’ve got a fwt classic barreled action that needs a stock.

I had planned on getting one of the featherweight stocks,
but see most seem to prefer the compact.
I have 4 pre 64 M70 fwt's in the MCM compact edge and have been happy with them.
The hunters edge is a definite possibility as well. Anyone have a picture of one and a compact as well? Absolute minimum weight is not my goal; I am good for my rifles to come in around 7.5-8#s. However, my current 308 featherweight in standard fill McMillan with Zeiss Conquest and DNZ (changed base) weighted in at 7#10.3oz and carries fine. I would imagine an edge stock would weigh close to 6 ounces less though.

Thanks men. Keep the opinions coming and hopefully some pics too!
While I like the Compact, the comb is a bit low. I’d see if you could try one first.

The Hunter is very different in the grip as well as the MC style buttstock.
BTW, the Hunters Edge and the Compact are the same stock, bit different materials.

The Hunter is the one with montecarlo style butt. It is also available in edge construction.

McM names are a bit retarded.
I sold the Hunter on a rifle I traded for, bought a Hunters Edge thru Rick here at the Fire store.

Got almost as much for the Hunter as I paid for the Edge. I like the Hunters Edge a lot more than the Hunter.

And, yeah, McM names are confusing.

DF
I would look at getting the J Earl Bridges stock in edge fill. You have to get him to order it to get McMillian to make it since he owns the mold.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I would look at getting the J Earl Bridges stock in edge fill. You have to get him to order it to get McMillian to make it since he owns the mold.

Is it on line, i.e. pictures.

I've heard about it, have never seen or handled one.

DF
I like both, the Legend and Supergrade stocks. But not for featherweights. To me it’s too much stock in the forearm area. I have recently made arrangements to buy a fwt with a Bridges stock, and very much looking forward to handling it, as ive never handled one either.

Sorry I can’t help more. However, personally on a fwt tube, I’d look to other than a SG or Legend.
Dirtfarmer, PM me your cell#.

I have a few pics of the Bridges I can share.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Another option is the Legend by D'Arcy Echols. Here's a link to his Legend rifle, but unless you want to spend MEGA bucks, just buy the stock. It's made by McM for D'Arcy but they can't sell it direct. It's a really nice shape and you can get it with Edge fill. Price is about what McM charges.

Here's a 404J I built on a 300 RUM donor. Stock does have a nice shape. It should, D'Arcy designed. it. Handles well.

DF

That is a sweet rifle!
Originally Posted by jkinpa

DF

That is a sweet rifle!

Thanks.

For those who think the Hunter's Edge doesn't have high enough comb, they'll love the Legend. Reportedly D'Arcy made a compromise comb for irons and scope. To me, you really gotta get down on it to see the irons; IMO it's about perfect for scope.

The Hunters Edge comb is about right for me, but I'm not a stock crawler. I prefer a more head erect position with the scope mounted back a bit. I've about graduated from irons to full time optics on my rifles.

DF
Has anyone here used one of the McMillan Sako classic stocks, on there Winchester?
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Has anyone here used one of the McMillan Sako classic stocks, on there Winchester?

They wouldn’t do one for me the last time I called. That is the pattern I use on all of my Tikkas though.
Excellent info. I’ve got time so I’m taking it slow and weighing all info I can find. What I want is a featherweight stock with a little more forend, I reckon.

I like both, the Legend and Supergrade stocks. But not for featherweights. To me it’s too much stock in the forearm area. I have recently made arrangements to buy a fwt with a Bridges stock, and very much looking forward to handling it, as ive never handled one either.

Sorry I can’t help more. However, personally on a fwt tube, I’d look to other than a SG or Legend.

This is really good info too. I’d like to see some pics of the Bridges stock as well. I don’t mind McM’s featherweight but would like a little more meat in the front as I said above. The compact looks good too but then I wonder about the comb. Anyone know how much more drop the compact has than the featherweight? Thanks for all the help.

Still pondering
Would love to see a picture of a Hunters edge too...

They wouldn’t do one for me the last time I called. That is the pattern I use on all of my Tikkas though. [/quote]
Originally Posted by beretzs
[quote=lone wolf]Has anyone here used one of the McMillan Sako classic stocks, on there Winchester?

I thought there were some deal where they made you pay extra for the Sako classic, If you wanted it in the Winchester model 70.

They wouldn’t do one for me the last time I called. That is the pattern I use on all of my Tikkas though.

Yes. And sometimes they will ...
I think it really depends on who you talk to at Mcmillan. I was told 6 months ago they wouldn’t do a 700 ks anymore in anything less than a batch of 10; then someone on here ordered one through Rick and low and behold, I was able to do so as well (there was a $100 upcharge.) Feeling encouraged, I tried for a pre 64 in sako classic (I have one, so I know they at one time would do it) - nope. However, they allowed they would do a post 64, with a ~$60 upcharge. So I have one or two coming through Rick ... this was end of December.
The winchester hunter stock is a sako style stock. Monte, cheek piece, palm swell.

Have one on a 300 wm. Nice stocks. Better with scope than hunters edge for me and I have both. Always wanted to try an Echols.
The supergrade is way too much stock for a Fwt. It works best on semi-heavy rifles (375H&H).

If you want more meat in the forearm than the Fwt, I’m afraid the Compact/Hunters Edge might leave you wanting. From what I recall it’s a good bit shorter than the Fwt forearm, and a more open grip.

I would choose either the classic or the P-64 Monte Carlo. If you don’t mind a lower comb, the classic is a really nice stock. The P-64 has a higher comb, tighter grip and a meatier forearm without going overboard. It’s the same stock that came on P-64 Fwts, so shouldn’t look alien.
I use the Hunters EDGE on my Featherweights. Ordered a Bridges for a WSM but the Hunters EDGE is a great stock on light, slender rifles.

Wouldn’t put a Legend on a smaller 22” barreled rifle, they seem to fit better for me on the 7 Mag, 300, 338 and 37 mags with longer barrels where the recoil reduction pays off.
Forgot about the OP featherweight spec. Beretz is correct.
Originally Posted by TomM1
The supergrade is way too much stock for a Fwt. It works best on semi-heavy rifles (375H&H).

If you want more meat in the forearm than the Fwt, I’m afraid the Compact/Hunters Edge might leave you wanting. From what I recall it’s a good bit shorter than the Fwt forearm, and a more open grip.

I would choose either the classic or the P-64 Monte Carlo. If you don’t mind a lower comb, the classic is a really nice stock. The P-64 has a higher comb, tighter grip and a meatier forearm without going overboard. It’s the same stock that came on P-64 Fwts, so shouldn’t look alien.

Some more good info! I believe this is why I chose not to go Hunters edge on my current stock. The Classic comes uncheckered I believe (only downside to me) but I like the shape a lot. Looking like the featherweight stock is still a contender for this rifle as well. It fits me very well too.
So, it looks like going off of the McM site these are all recommended as good for the featherweight:

Classic, Hunters Edge/Compact, P-64 Monte Carlo and featherweight.

Gonna look at the P-64 and classic again but as of right now, looks like for me, the Classic and Featherweight are leading.

Truth be told, I want a Remington Mountain Rifle stock inletted for a Model 70!
I use the Hunters EDGE on my Featherweights. Ordered a Bridges for a WSM but the Hunters EDGE is a great stock on light, slender rifles.

Wouldn’t put a Legend on a smaller 22” barreled rifle, they seem to fit better for me on the 7 Mag, 300, 338 and 37 mags with longer barrels where the recoil reduction pays off.

Agree.

My only Legend was on a .404J. It works great in that scenario.

I have several Hunter's Edge. I don't like the Hunter, sold the one I inherited in a trade, replaced it with a Hunter's Edge, as posted earlier.

DF

Agree.

My only Legend was on a .404J. It works great in that scenario.

I have several Hunter's Edge. I don't like the Hunter, sold the one I inherited in a trade, replaced it with a Hunter's Edge, as posted earlier.

DF

I really see the advantages with the heavier recoilers. My Mashburn just points and shoots like I want. Same for the 338 and 375.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Got one delivered just about 3 months ago ordered through the gear shop. There is a $50 or so up-charge to have them inlet for the M70 action. Great stock, really happy with the way it turned out.
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Would love to see a picture of a Hunters edge too...

First, here's a picture of a J Earl Bridges design that nyrifleman sent me. He likes the way they fit. I guess it's somewhere between a Legend and a Hunters Edge. It's slimmer than the Legend, has an open grip and a cheek piece. Reportedly you have to call Bridges to get one; McM makes them, like the Legend, to Bridges' proprietary design.

Here are some Hunters Edge stocks, first on an HS Precision. I don't have any on M-70's. Clean classic lines, shorter forearm, no cheek piece.

Short action M-700. Forearms are very stiff. You can free float with a minimum gap.
An observation, although subtle, look at where nyrifleman has his scope mounted and how mine are positioned.

I like scopes back a bit for more of a heads up position. I don't think the Hunter's Edge comb has too much drop for scope. To me it's about right.

I've not asked him, but would postulate he likes a more head forward shooting position. The Bridges is about the best handling stock for him. I can't say, have never handed one, but I do like the way they look.

From the photo, the Bridges grip may be slightly more open than the Hunters Edge. I didn't get a photo of the full forearm, not sure if it's shorter, like the Hunter's Edge or more of a std. length. The 26" barrel on the HS Precision looks really long with the shorter Hunter's Edge forearm. It's a 240 Wby.

Nyrifleman may want to chime in on the Bridges stock and why he favors it.

DF
Thanks for the pictures! Very nice rigs!
nyrifleman did send a picture showing the forearm. Looks sorta like the Hunter's Edge. I'd have to put them side by side to be sure. I was trying to measure LOP and extrapolate that to forearm. But don't know his LOP.

This was called the Sako Express when I got it inletted for my MkV. They now call it the Wby Express.

I like the comb and the way it handles. That's probably different from the Sako Classic.

DF,
You’ve got some very nice rifles, sir!

Those HS Precision rifles always get my attention. Love the looks of the strait lines.
DF,
You’ve got some very nice rifles, sir!

Those HS Precision rifles always get my attention. Love the looks of the strait lines.

Beats the heck out of the OEM HS stock. Weighed 42 oz vs. 26 oz Hunters Edge. I glassed and free floated it.

Best load is 100 NPT over MRP. Best three shot group was 1.7" at 400 yds. I know, I know, three shots. Don't think I could do that again, although the rifle may. Not bad for a hunting weight rifle. HS makes their cut rifled barres in house, probably as good as the best, based on how they shoot.

I glassed and free floated the McWoody Wby Express, swapped OEM trigger for a Timney. It has a match grade, 8 twist Brux in 7RM. Does great with the heavies over RL-26.

So the HS is a Wby, the Wby is a 7RM

Go figure. Loony stuff for sure.

DF

Edited to show you what 42 oz of pure ugly looked like. My son sold it on EBay. Got a decent price for it.
Originally Posted by Sevens

Got one delivered just about 3 months ago ordered through the gear shop. There is a $50 or so up-charge to have them inlet for the M70 action. Great stock, really happy with the way it turned out.

I really like my Sako Classic as well. Forearm is a few inches longer than the Compact and just a bit bigger all around.
Your wish is my command. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
RJ, is that a Hunters Edge/Compact?
See if you can get Rick's Gear Shop to order a Sako Classic with swirly gel-coat, checkering, and lightweight fill for your Winny. That's what you really want.

Barring that option, get the pre-64 Monte inletted for your Winny. Great all-arounder meant for scope use.

Or, get the Echols Legend and simply live with the bit larger forend. Best recoil reduction.

Compact is too low of comb--it was built for open sights, unless you've got a fat face and shoot heads up.
Classic is more of the same.
The Bridges is superb except the grip is too open for anything but offhand shooting.
Hunter is ugly and not great for offhand shooting, and it's ugly. Nice palm swell, and ugly.

As to fill weight, I would not go "edge" if it were me. Ask for the lightweight fill on a swirly gel coat. That is only about 4+ ounces more than an edge fill, and it is a much better/solider feeling stock. The edge fill feels like a hollow shell and is much colder in the hands when temps really drop. A non-painted gel coat has color all the way through so it doesn't show wear/tear much either.

Checkering, they used to do either way that you requested--now they are stubborn about doing it one way or the other depending on style. But, if you can get checkering, then I would, as it makes nice traction and gives a little more warmth in the hands when carrying. You often have to negotiate with them to add it or take away. Most of their molds have it available and they simply fill it if you don't want it.

If you get sick of the Mickey run around, then get in touch with Mark Bansner and try to get back on the list for the David Miller pre-64 style stock. In some ways, a thinner version of the Echols Legend. Or see if you can scrub up a Brown Precision classic style, or see if they are ready yet to make them again. Wonderful design and construction, and lighter than a Mickey.
I would definitely vote Edge fill as it seems like the more recent edge stocks aren’t so edgy. My Sako Classic with Edge fill came out to 28 ounces, not terrible but would have loved for a few ounces less.

270 is not punishing, no reason to tote extra weight with it.
Marble finished Edge fill are now only offered with those finishes that have a black background. Seems the black carbon shell occasionally showed thru the finish. Black background covers it. Glad I got my McWoody Edge when I did.

DF
CoryP, It is a regular Hunters Edge. The Compact came out after I bought this one. RJ
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
See if you can get Rick's Gear Shop to order a Sako Classic with swirly gel-coat, checkering, and lightweight fill for your Winny. That's what you really want.

Barring that option, get the pre-64 Monte inletted for your Winny. Great all-arounder meant for scope use.

Or, get the Echols Legend and simply live with the bit larger forend. Best recoil reduction.

Compact is too low of comb--it was built for open sights, unless you've got a fat face and shoot heads up.
The Bridges is superb except the grip is too open for anything but offhand shooting.
Hunter is ugly and not great for offhand shooting, and it's ugly. Nice palm swell, and ugly.

As to fill weight, I would not go "edge" if it were me. Ask for the lightweight fill on a swirly gel coat. That is only about 4+ ounces more than an edge fill, and it is a much better/solider feeling stock. The edge fill feels like a hollow shell and is much colder in the hands when temps really drop. A non-painted gel coat has color all the way through so it doesn't show wear/tear much either.

Checkering, they used to do either way that you requested--now they are stubborn about doing it one way or the other depending on style. But, if you can get checkering, then I would, as it makes nice traction and gives a little more warmth in the hands when carrying. You often have to negotiate with them to add it or take away. Most of their molds have it available and they simply fill it if you don't want it.

If you get sick of the Mickey run around, then get in touch with Mark Bansner and try to get back on the list for the David Miller pre-64 style stock. In some ways, a thinner version of the Echols Legend. Or see if you can scrub up a Brown Precision classic style, or see if they are ready yet to make them again. Wonderful design and construction, and lighter than a Mickey.

Excellent! Thank you sir!!
I have three of the featherweights but I'm leaning to the Compact for my next one.
257Bob

Any chance you could post a couple pictures of those Featherweights?

I’m trying to decide between a Fwt and a Compact either in McWoody

Thanks
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

New BACO Model 70 Winchester 308 in McM featherweight stock 70%OD Green, 15%Black and 15% Light Grey. Weighs 7# 14 ounces as shown so not a flyweight. I have been extremely happy with rifle and stock.
Is the Sako classic close to the Remington Mountain Rifle stock? Curious about it
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Is the Sako classic close to the Remington Mountain Rifle stock? Curious about it

Not totally sure but they feel real similar to the wood stocked CDLs I’ve had in the past. I like the Sako Classics quite a lot on the Tikkas.
I would go edge fill on a featherweight. Sure it’s lighter, but more importantly it shifts the balance point forward.
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I have three of the featherweights but I'm leaning to the Compact for my next one.

I'm 6'1" and have one of each. The featherweight and compact. I feel that the extra 1" (which is the difference in over all length) on the featherweight style fits me much better.
For comparison sake, my SC 270 in an edge fill Fwt pattern with Talley lightweights and Burris FFII 3-9 goes 7lb 6oz, balances nicely.

Opt for a short action and swap the Burris for a M-8 6x36 and I bet you would be right at 7lbs sans sling and ammo.

For me 7.5-8 lbs is about right so I’m sticking with what I got.

For me 7.5-8 lbs is about right so I’m sticking with what I got.

Agree with this totally. The rifle pictured above is with a heavier Zeiss Conquest, Warne Maxima Steel bases and Burris Zee rings. With the same scope and DNZ mount it weighed about 4oz less. This is std fill stock too. Not really a complaint as much as a rather is getting a bit more meat in forearm. I will happily buy another featherweight pattern but would prefer a bit more in the forearm tip. My stock hasn’t been bedded yet and is a little finicky about where rest hits forearm on the bench. But it has dispatched everything I’ve pointed at with a single shot and shoots the handful of factory ammo I’ve tried about the same, 1-1.25”. I shot a 10 shot group of about 2” without allowing it to cool with factory fusions.
Both the Hunters Edge and the Featherweight are hard to beat for a thinner barrel up to a #2 Lilja or Rock. I like the Hunter a little more at the end of the day.

This thread is priceless for anyone considering a stock for M70.

Photo essay
Yes, it sure is. Thanks for bringing it back around. Shame so many of the pics are gone or held blurry hostage.
I think for the OP, comparing the hunters edge (compact) to the classic is easy to see visually the differences on the template. The compact has a more open grip and shorter forearm.
Nice thread, very informative
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Both the Hunters Edge and the Featherweight are hard to beat for a thinner barrel up to a #2 Lilja or Rock. I like the Hunter a little more at the end of the day.

Very nice stocks!
Excellent thread. Thanks fellas.
I just got confirmation from J Earle last night that he submitted my order to McMillan. I believe this stock will go on my 270 or 7mm WSM. If I like it, I’ll order another. Hoping with the EDGE stock it lightens the rifles up a bit. They’re too danged heavy to tote with the chunky laminate Winchester put on them.
Excellent thread. Thanks fellas.

Agreed! I really appreciate the pics, info and help men! Very informative! Many thanks!
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Messaged RicBin asking about the Sako Classic... it can be inletted for a Model 70 for a slight upcharge. He spoke very highly of the Sako Classic as well and said it was the closest thing to what I really wanted, a Remington Mtn Rifle stock by McMillan. Many thanks Dakota Deer... think I have my stock! Just hope the featherweight barrel doesn’t look goofy in it!
I don't think that light barrels actually look bad in fat forends myself.

The Sako Classic is rather close to the Mtn Rifle pattern, just a slight bit thicker in every dimension, and a bit more drop at the comb.

Mickey used to inlet Mtn Rifle pattern for Winchesters also for an extra charge but won't any longer as they have to move the inlet forward slightly in order to cover the different tang angle.

If you can ever get a Brown Precision standard (or KS) pattern for your Winchester, it is as great as a Mtn Rifle pattern (maybe even better in that the grip is a little more open).
Lots of good info. I am pleased with the Feather weight edge on my 270 WSM. I like the Bridges and Sako Classic too. Don't overlook the MPI Dakota model either, they can build it even lighter than an edge for an up charge. This is a very trim stock with an open grip that is one of my favorites.

MPI has upgraded their production so I would discount old gripes about the company. The Brown is nice also, lots of good choices.
Regarding the Bridges pattern rifle stock, today I tried to contact Mr. Bridges via phone (number not in service) and email (email returned failure to deliver) without success. I am of the impression that his pattern has to be ordered directly through his shop. I'm going to call McMillan tomorrow, maybe I missed the reference to this pattern on their website or they can advise on the purchase.
WW, sent pm
AKwolverine, appreciate that.
This thread is priceless for anyone considering a stock for M70.

Photo essay

Yes it is. Rick should have made that thread a sticky for damn sure. I know it was requested he do so, but to no avail... Here are some of my rifles on that template:

Winchester model 70 with hunters compact. Blue swirly:

Pre 64 model 70 270 featherweight in hunters compact standard fill 1" red pachmayr:

Pre 64 monte carlo pattern on 1956 30-06 featherweight. Swirly is the old campfire coyote bomber that used to be a favorite here:

Not a Mcmillan, but a good stock nonetheless. Brown precision poundR on my pre 64 338wm:

Pre 64 model 70 308 fwt with a green and black swirly Hunters compact. Standard fill stock:
Good stuff BSA.

How did the Monte Carlo fit the P-64 Fwt? Most P-64 have a rise in the back end on the trigger guard that needs to be modified on most aftermarket stocks. I’ve been told that is not the case with the Monte Carlo.
Great stuff BSA.
Your Brown Precision stock is one that I would like to try BSA. I currently have several Mcm's, a Hunters Edge on a Classic FWT six digit and a Remington Mountain Rifle edge fill on a R700 as well as a Hunters Edge ADL R700. My favorites are the Brown on a Remington 700 KS and another Brown Kevlar that is not so well known it was offered for a short time on the R700 FS (camo stock was fiberglass and gray stock was a Brown) in the late 80's.

I need to restock a couple of deserving Winchester Classics and decided the Bridges looks promising. With that said, if I can find a Brown I'd be plenty happy.
Good stuff BSA.

How did the Monte Carlo fit the P-64 Fwt? Most P-64 have a rise in the back end on the trigger guard that needs to be modified on most aftermarket stocks. I’ve been told that is not the case with the Monte Carlo.

Tom, the montecarlo is an exact match for the pre 64 monte carlo factory stock. The one thing I did not like about it was the weight. I really believed the swirly weighed more than the factory wood stock. Because of this, I opted to pull it from the light featheweight action and use it on my 375H&H... It was a much better fit on the old H&H..

Because of this thread, I ordered a McMillan Featherweight McWoody from Rick. Expect to be happy with it!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good stuff BSA.

Tom, the montecarlo is an exact match for the pre 64 monte carlo factory stock. The one thing I did not like about it was the weight. I really believed the swirly weighed more than the factory wood stock. Because of this, I opted to pull it from the light featheweight action and use it on my 375H&H... It was a much better fit on the old H&H..

There is a lot of meat on the back end of that stock. Was yours standard or edge fill? I am thinking edge fill with a 1/2” lightweight pad would complement a Fwt pretty well.
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Your Brown Precision stock is one that I would like to try BSA. I currently have several Mcm's, a Hunters Edge on a Classic FWT six digit and a Remington Mountain Rifle edge fill on a R700 as well as a Hunters Edge ADL R700. My favorites are the Brown on a Remington 700 KS and another Brown Kevlar that is not so well known it was offered for a short time on the R700 FS (camo stock was fiberglass and gray stock was a Brown) in the late 80's.

I need to restock a couple of deserving Winchester Classics and decided the Bridges looks promising. With that said, if I can find a Brown I'd be plenty happy.

The ergo's on the Brown poundR are excellent. It is one stock that I can tell you from experience that helps tremendously to soak up recoil. The Brown is on my 338 right now and the rifle weighs 7 pounds bare:

That rifle is my go to for elk hunting because of its weight and balance. It is very easy to carry and the 4+1 capacity on the 338wm is quite a bit of firepower, just in case I need to make a follow up shot.. Funny thing about that stock, is it's been re-painted probably a dozen times. I was never quite happy with it because I wanted the color to match my 270 fwt hunter compact that I showed earlier. I really like Mcmillans brown color. It took me a long time to just about duplicate it with a small amount of texture as well. Here's how it sits now, after many failed attempts on the color:

The Brown poundR is sleek and one of my favorites on any of my pre 64's.. I also know Bobin loved them and for good reason...
Good stuff BSA.

There is a lot of meat on the back end of that stock. Was yours standard or edge fill? I am thinking edge fill with a 1/2” lightweight pad would complement a Fwt pretty well.

Mine was a swirly and at the time they didn't offer the swirly in edge fill. I dont know if mcmillan does a swirly in edge fill now, but they probably do....
Here is a Hunters EDGE on a Featherweight 30-06

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that stock a lot on the P64 30-06/270 recoil class cartridges
Good stuff BSA.

If anyone wants one, I’ve got one I’d sell. I replaced mine with a Legend but is a nice copy as BSA said.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CoryP
Because of this thread, I ordered a McMillan Featherweight McWoody from Rick. Expect to be happy with it!

Sounds like a winner!

Excellent thread gentlemen.
Just picked up a new Extreme Weather in 7-08. Deal was too good to pass up. The factory stock is more than functional for me other than no checkering. It seemed to get pretty slick with a little bit moisture. After reading many threads on this stock, it seems many have replaced with a Mcmillan edge/compact or hunter. Most examples have been LA versions. Anyone have experience with either/or in a SA? I spoke with Mcmillan today and they suggested the Hunter using up to a 42-44mm scope.
© 24hourcampfire