Home
I just talked to Jesse at JES reboring and he can’t help me with a couple of projects. I have a 223 I want to rebore to 300 blackout and 2 243s I want to rebore to 308. Rebarreling is an absolute last resort. Does anyone know of a reputable smith that can help me. Thanks in advance.
I am curious to know why he said he couldn't perform those rebores.
He said he doesn’t do .30 caliber. Only bigger. I spoke to him directly this morning.
Just out of curiosity, why is a re-barrel a "last resort"?
Originally Posted by szihn
Just out of curiosity, why is a re-barrel a "last resort"?

Cost is one reason. The main reason actually. The main one is the 300 blackout. If I have to I will rebarrel it.
What kind of guns are there? I find that re-barreling is about the same price as a re-bore. It can vary depending on the new barrel you choose, but as a rule the cost of the 2 services is not far apart.
The 223 is a Remington 7615 pump for a suppressor host. I am buying it from someone here on the fire. I just emailed pacnor before I saw that they had a fire and are rebuilding right now. The 243 is a handi rifle. I’ve decided not to the other 243. I may try to trade someone for a 308 barrel for the Handi. I just didn’t want to spend $700 on a barrel. I was going on the price from JES. Around $225.
Originally Posted by szihn
What kind of guns are there? I find that re-barreling is about the same price as a re-bore. It can vary depending on the new barrel you choose, but as a rule the cost of the 2 services is not far apart.

Jess does the whole rebore with shipping for 250 bucks. It’s pretty tough to buy a good barrel for that sorta money let alone have a gunsmith screw it on.
I always thought he would do the smaller calibers too. Guess not. Takeoff bolt action 300 blackout barrels are hard to come by.
Danny Peterson, at CutRifles in Prescott is back up and running at full capacity and does great rebores.
928-710-0477
You’ll have to set back the barrel for the blackout. A Blackout chamber will not clean up a 223, the shoulder is too far back. You may have to rebarrel the pump gun.

Old70.
Originally Posted by old70
You’ll have to set back the barrel for the blackout. A Blackout chamber will not clean up a 223, the shoulder is too far back. You may have to rebarrel the pump gun.

Old70.

Well that ain’t no good. Oh well. It won’t be that bad if I can find a pretty cheap take off.
I just looked at cutrifle and it says he can’t do pumps or barrels shorter than 20”.
Watch EBay for your handi rifle barrel.
Originally Posted by 2500HD

I was just on there looking. Only 1 308 for $425. No thanks. I keep checking gunbroker too. You can buy the entire rifle for that. 308s with the lighter profile 20” barrel must have been pretty rare.
Originally Posted by 458Win
Danny Peterson, at CutRifles in Prescott is back up and running at full capacity and does great rebores.
928-710-0477

+1
Oregun gunsmithing does rebores as well, but I have no experience with him.
Pac Nor just emailed me back and they don’t work on pumps. Cut rifle won’t do a pump either. No love for the ol pump.
Originally Posted by RAAK
Originally Posted by 2500HD

I was just on there looking. Only 1 308 for $425. No thanks. I keep checking gunbroker too. You can buy the entire rifle for that. 308s with the lighter profile 20” barrel must have been pretty rare.

Stupid question, but why don't you just sell the 243's and buy a couple of 308's? Unless they're sentimental guns this seems like it would be an easier option and probably cheaper in the long run.
Both 243s are sentimental guns. I’ll never sell them. My grandad gave me one and my dad gave the other to my son. I’ve gotten into suppressors for the past few years and I’ve got my sons hooked now. They don’t even want to shoot without one lol. We’ve been using subsonic 308s for deer hunting at close range and that’s the only reason I want a 308 barrel for the Handi.
Than that definitely accounts into the equation.
I’ve found a 308 complete rifle here local in AL for $299. I’m going to see if they will come off that a little bit when I go pick it up. The other 243 will stay a 243 and now I need to find a 300 blackout takeoff barrel.
Tag
Another dumb question. Do all re-bores end up with cut or button rifling? If done correctly is there any reason they would not be as good as a factory barrel, like the factory barrel on a Mirkoru made Mod. 71 .348 Win.?
Instead of a 300 BO, have you considered a 350 legend? Jes could likely do that.
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Another dumb question. Do all re-bores end up with cut or button rifling? If done correctly is there any reason they would not be as good as a factory barrel, like the factory barrel on a Mirkoru made Mod. 71 .348 Win.?

JES is cut rifling but I don’t know about the rest. I haven’t read about any accuracy problems after a rebore by them.

Originally Posted by micky
Instead of a 300 BO, have you considered a 350 legend? Jes could likely do that.

No, never even thought about it because my can is 7.62 or smaller.
I have heard of Al Siegrist in Whittemore, MI - never used him, but his prices are reasonable.
Just sent a rifle pre 64 70 to Dan Peterson for rebore to 9.3 x62 . He is up and running and a very nice gent to deal with. Oregunsmiththing Wayne York doesn't do 9.3 x 62 Wayne did a 338/06 for me on pre 64 fw that turned out great , also had one of his stocks installed SK mounts and rings Wayne's recommendation looks very nice and clean . Have yoused JES rebore in past also he was good to deal with also. Some barrels lend themselves to this prosses better than others Old Winchester 70s rebore very well with this process from what these smiths tell me. I live in Tacoma WA area there was a gun shop in Tacoma for years Chet Paulson's . Gunsmith and last owner of shop Bill Le Jaret told me a man by the name of Cliff Labounty used to be the best at the rebore machine prosses that there was back in his day I believe Danny and Wayne both got there training and eqmt from Cliff he wrote a book on rifling and gunsmith machine work. still for sale I believe. To cut though the B S It will work or it wont if it works its cheaper than a new barrel and all of your guts , stock ,trigger, bottom mettle is ready to go . Ya got a clean barrel with cut rifling . The smiths will tell ya the risks. There are some ? Gota any up to play. Never win a hand if you don't stay in the game.

Wayne York Oregunsmithing 541 278 4177
Danny Peterson 928 772 4060
© 24hourcampfire