Home
... I have a .30-'06 Mauser or a Sako L579 action that I **could** convert to a straight-wall cartridge for Ohio deer hunting, say like the 444 Rimless. I like the idea of something that I could use published 444 Marlin load data for. I don't know what would be an appropriate cartridge in the Sako; just toying with the idea at this point. A short action Remington 700 in 350 Legend is also a possibility. I don't care for the synthetic stocked factory rifles in 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster. Having to worry about how effectively a blown-out .30-'06 0r .308 case headspaces on the case mouth would be another drawback.

Or maybe I should just forget it and use my Ruger 77/357?
A guy by me in Michigan is toying with that concept of 30-06 case cut to 1.8” with a.40 cal bullet. Puts more taper for extraction. Headspace off case mouth like 450 bushmaster. Many 700’s around here were converted to 450 bushmasters before the Ruger was a production rifle.
Might want to take a look at the .358 Hoosier.
Originally Posted by Steven60
... I have a .30-'06 Mauser or a Sako L579 action that I **could** convert to a straight-wall cartridge for Ohio deer hunting, say like the 444 Rimless. I like the idea of something that I could use published 444 Marlin load data for. I don't know what would be an appropriate cartridge in the Sako; just toying with the idea at this point. A short action Remington 700 in 350 Legend is also a possibility. I don't care for the synthetic stocked factory rifles in 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster. Having to worry about how effectively a blown-out .30-'06 0r .308 case headspaces on the case mouth would be another drawback.

Or maybe I should just forget it and use my Ruger 77/357?

Another option like that 444 Rimless is the 45 Raptor, using straight wall 308 brass with 460 S&W dies and load data. It is a short action cartridge though, if that matters.
Also depends if you want to use 44 or 45 bullets of course.

I have a 350 Legend and wouldn't really recommend it unless you only plan to shoot factory ammo. That cartridge is a comedy of errors and Winchester should be ashamed of themselves.

Edit - corrected the name of the 45 Raptor
I'd prefer a cartridge with a powder volume that's the same or very close to a cartridge with accepted pressure data. I have no interest in going into unknown territory when it comes to load data.
Originally Posted by FC363
Might want to take a look at the .358 Hoosier.

I don't think Ohio will allow any cartridge with a shoulder. Of course, that could change this year like anything else.
I wonder if the "semi-rim" of the 220 Swift would be enough to headspace off of and to use as a basis for a wildcat?

I have a 350 Legend and wouldn't really recommend it unless you only plan to shoot factory ammo. That cartridge is a comedy of errors and Winchester should be ashamed of themselves. [/quote]

You nailed it.
Originally Posted by Steven60
I'd prefer a cartridge with a powder volume that's the same or very close to a cartridge with accepted pressure data. I have no interest in going into unknown territory when it comes to load data.

I don't know if you're replying to me, but it sorta looks like it, so: That's exactly why I mentioned the Raptor - it is the same size and capacity as the 460 S&W (which is not a wildcat and has plenty of data), and uses the same load data. The difference is the lack of a rim.

Also in case you didn't know - you can make 460 S&W brass by shortening 444 Marlin, and 45 Raptor is basically a shortened 444 Rimless; these are all the same basic case, just with or without a rim.

I did make a typo though, it's the 45 Raptor, not 460 Raptor.
Thanks for all the suggestions. For either the 444 Rimless or the 45 Raptor, do receiver rails need to be modified to make them feed?
.45-70, or .45 Colt. Heck, just get a JM Marlin 1894 or '95.
Sell me the Sako, would make a nice (Scratch that. I re-read the original post) Thought you had a Sako .30/-06

We're not restricted by caliber or cartridge.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
.45-70, or .45 Colt. Heck, just get a JM Marlin 1894 or '95.

Far and away the easiest solution, but I'd rather have a bolt action. smile
How about a re-barrel to 400 Whelen? Shoot a cast, gas-checked bullet that fits your own rifles throat. Probably about 340 grains if the bullet was cut to fill the throat perfectly and you'd get about 2200-2300 FPS with no issues. This would do just fire for buffalo, moose and large bears, so I think it's likely to do OK for white tails too.
A: Nothing wrong with the 77/357.
B: A certified rifle looney would rationalize the purchase of a new rifle w/o mutilating an existing functional piece. You might need that one down the road.
C: KISS is the best roadmap.
Originally Posted by szihn
How about a re-barrel to 400 Whelen? Shoot a cast, gas-checked bullet that fits your own rifles throat. Probably about 340 grains if the bullet was cut to fill the throat perfectly and you'd get about 2200-2300 FPS with no issues. This would do just fire for buffalo, moose and large bears, so I think it's likely to do OK for white tails too.

400 Whelen would be great, except that it's got that neck, however small. It would almost be easier to move to a state that's more enlightened than Ohio. And that would be most of them wink

I'm a little hesitant to go with bigger bullets (.40 & up) because I'm about to have right shoulder rotator cuff surgery and will probably have to shoot left-handed this year regardless of what I use. Not a huge deal because I'm left eye dominant and somewhat ambidextrous.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
A: Nothing wrong with the 77/357.
B: A certified rifle looney would rationalize the purchase of a new rifle w/o mutilating an existing functional piece. You might need that one down the road.
C: KISS is the best roadmap.

Nothing there I can disagree with. My 77/357 is getting Cerakoted in Midnight and has a nice black walnut mannlicher stock underway so maybe that will appease me at least till this winter. I get a little over 1700 fps with factory 158 grain loads out of an 18" barrel. Maybe I need a second one with a 22" barrel and a modern classic stock and could pick up a few more fps that way.
Find a .223 rebore to .358. Buy star line .223 basic brass. Chamber to 357 rimless at 1.8” case length. A case full of AA1680 and a 180 Speers HCFP will get you about 2600 FPS. Which equals 2700 foot lbs of energy at the muzzle. 250-300 yard gun in shot gun zone hunting!!!!
overall, for a white tail gun I'd have to say Digital Dan probably gave the very best advise. Stick with the 357 mag.
Ruger 77-357 or 77-44mag
Probably save enough over a wildcat to buy one of each.
Originally Posted by pointer
I wonder if the "semi-rim" of the 220 Swift would be enough to headspace off of and to use as a basis for a wildcat?

Maybe .240 Weatherby Brass blown our straight to head space off the belt?
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Originally Posted by pointer

Maybe .240 Weatherby Brass blown our straight to head space off the belt?

I just made a belted 405 Winchester out of Quality Cartridge 400 Whelen brass. It is like a long 240.........it shoots a 210 grain TSX at 3000 FPS.

A tad bit complicated, but a point blank range of 300 yds.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K3rvSmEg1qX1wRHS7

Case is length is. 2.580"

Bullets:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K3rvSmEg1qX1wRHS7
.....or open the bolt face and rails and do a .458 Winchester or .458 Lott - have a couple of friends that went the Lott route and they are shooting 300 grain Barnes TTSXs at nearly 2900 FPS. I told them I thought that ought to be enough gun😄.

Ohio probably needs to re-examine the whole straight-walled case thing🤔

PennDog
I’ve got a beater Remington 600 in 222 that I am considering rebarreling to 350 Legend or 450 BM for Ohio deer hunting. Despite all the shortcomings of the 350 it is a reasonable choice for straight-wall states. I really wish there was a good 308 bolt face option in straightwalls as I don’t want to mess with wildcats either.
The 450 Bushmaster is a 308 bolt face straight wall cartridge.

The 350 Legend is .223 bolt face.
Well that’s what I get for jumping to conclusions based on it being made for the AR15 platform! Thanks
© 24hourcampfire