Home
Who considers these items important on a custom hunting rifle? I know it can be lighter or sleeker without, but I really enjoy a full featured rifle, even if it is a working rifle in a fiberglass stock!
you put steel grip gaps on glass stocks? Just to have a 'feature'?
Nope, to avoid chips when using the stock hard. Look at wood and fiberglass stocks. They often have damage there.

I don’t need features for feature sake. I desire to reduce damage to the stock.
How do barrel sights reduce stock damage?
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
Who considers these items important on a custom hunting rifle? I know it can be lighter or sleeker without, but I really enjoy a full featured rifle, even if it is a working rifle in a fiberglass stock!

The only one I'd consider important are the barrel sights if not utilizing a scope. whistle

I don’t need features for feature sake. I desire to reduce damage to the stock.

#Bondo

I wouldn't worry about all those extra items on a rifle in a fiberglass stock. It's not a "classic" rifle so why bother?
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I wouldn't worry about all those extra items on a rifle in a fiberglass stock. It's not a "classic" rifle so why bother?

And wood carved in 2019 makes it “classic”?
I hunt in the rain, so I like a hinged floor plate because I can open it and let it dry out. I like a front sight because it keeps the Magneto Speed chronograph from slipping, and you need a rear sight if you have a front sight. Never saw much reason for a steel grip cap on a synthetic stock, but I suppose it's not entirely out of place. It might be a nice touch on a McWoody.

Okie John
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

When I say the word "classic", I'm not referring to a rifle's vintage, but it's form.
First two essential on a wood stock, sights depending on use and style. On a synthetic stock only the hinged floor plate.

When I say the word "classic", I'm not referring to a rifle's vintage, but it's form.

Wood is not a form. How does wood alter the form of this rifle?

http://www.smithson-gunmaker.com/375-hh-synthetic.html

I'm sorry you failed to understand what I was trying to say. Why not giv'er another try?

I'm sorry you failed to understand what I was trying to say. Why not giv'er another try?

What are you trying to say?
Simple guys.... On a Manners EH1 not so much but on a Legend or Smithson with a Mauser or Win derivative, absolutely.
I like a steel floorplate/triggerguard assembly on my bolt rifles...fiberglass or wood. Williams steel units work best (and look great) on my 700s.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by okie john
...and you need a rear sight if you have a front sight.

Okie John

Truer words were never spoken.
Rex
© 24hourcampfire