Home
Posted By: sloone 270-300 win mag twist rate - 06/16/20
I know a 1-10 twist rate works extremely well.i have shot 130 and 140 grainers with excellent accuracy.im rebarreling this rifle and want to know opinions on going to 1-11 to try some lighter bullets also without sacrificing accuracy for the 130 and 140 grainers..just looking for opinions.thanks
Posted By: Filaman Re: 270-300 win mag twist rate - 06/16/20
I just don't get it. My .270 Winchester has 1:10 twist and it shoots 100 grain bullets fine. I wouldn't handicap such a rifle with less twist rate. How light bullets do you want to shoot? Are you trying to get over 4000 FPS or something? If you want that high of velocity get you a .22-250. You start a .270 out that fast with light low BC bullets and you will lose down range velocity. Most people that have a .270-300 Mag. do it so they can shoot heaver high BC bullets a long way and want a tighter twist barrel to stabilize the longer bullets.
Posted By: JPro Re: 270-300 win mag twist rate - 06/16/20
The smaller bores on the 300win case sound cool, but in the end, likely won’t outrun the standardized 270wby by much. Regardless of that, I’d not go slower than 9” twist. Bullet designs keep getting longer, not shorter. If 9” twist 7mm’s have shot 120-130gr stuff fine for years, it’d be the same in a .277.

I’d go 1-8.5” .270wby if it were me.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: 270-300 win mag twist rate - 06/16/20
its been awhile since I messed with this.
I believe mine has a 1-10.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3584822/1
if your set on 130 and 140g bullets I would throat it for such, run a 1-10, and call it a day.
dave
Posted By: beretzs Re: 270-300 win mag twist rate - 06/16/20
That’s a good reread. Thanks Dave.
Posted By: sloone Re: 270-300 win mag twist rate - 06/17/20
dave & others thanks for your input.to the I don't get it comment because I felt like it and that is not a attack or demeaning comment in anyway..i have a 22-250 and a 22-243..many others.was just considering the 1-11 for the experiment.dave truly enjoyed your previous post and all your testing and experience..also Bob was a wonderful person and a advocate for rifles and hunting as was allen.i enjoyed so much there thoughts and opinions.dave any loads you used that worked well for the 140`s or larger I would enjoy seeing if and when you have the time and are willing.thanks guys
Originally Posted by beretzs
That’s a good reread. That’s Dave.

+1.

Enjoyed seeing posts by BobinNH, Dober and Karnis. Those were the days...

DF
Posted By: beretzs Re: 270-300 win mag twist rate - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by beretzs
That’s a good reread. That’s Dave.

+1.

Enjoyed seeing posts by BobinNH, Dober and Karnis. Those were the days...

DF

Yes, for sure. I always got along with Bob real well and his ideas about a gun being pretty flat and not having to mess with much to kill bucks and bulls at normal ranges was right up my alley.
Posted By: TX35W Re: 270-300 win mag twist rate - 06/17/20
I had the same initial reaction as everyone else--twist it faster, not slower. I had Kreiger make me a .270 barrel a few years back and they asked me if I wanted it twisted faster than 1:10 and I said no--I was happy shooting 130's and 140's then. Now I'm kicking myself because I want to use the rifle differently than when I first planned for it. When I shoot this barrel out I'll get a 1:9 or 1:8.5. I think you barely lose any velocity--maybe like 20 fps at these high speeds--by twisting it faster.

But...to each his own! If you love the idea of 1:11, go for it.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: 270-300 win mag twist rate - 06/17/20
Thanks guys.
I ended up running 130g TTSXs at 3650.
My top load as i remember,I think, was 87g of Ramshot magnum.
The thing was a hoot.
VERY SHORT BARREL LIFE.
Like stupid short.
That real nice Rock No4 was torched big time, and im pretty sure I was just shy of 500 rounds.
We scoped it. Tops of the land were frosted 3 3.5 inches in front of the chamber. Ugly.....
Fun.
I nick named it. The Deer Flipper.
Cause that what it did..
Flip um, big time.
Eventually im going to rebarrel it and run the same load.
If get around to it ill see if I can up date the pictures and get away from that photobucket poop.

dave
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Thanks guys.
I ended up running 130g TTSXs at 3650.
My top load as i remember,I think, was 87g of Ramshot magnum.
The thing was a hoot.
VERY SHORT BARREL LIFE.
Like stupid short.
That real nice Rock No4 was torched big time, and im pretty sure I was just shy of 500 rounds.
We scoped it. Tops of the land were frosted 3 3.5 inches in front of the chamber. Ugly.....
Fun.
I nick named it. The Deer Flipper.
Cause that what it did..
Flip um, big time.
Eventually im going to rebarrel it and run the same load.
If get around to it ill see if I can up date the pictures and get away from that photobucket poop.

dave

Just for comparison, I run the 129LRX with 73.0gr. RL-22 and get 3460fps out of my 26” Weathermark in 270Wthby! 3600+ is smokin’ fast!!

Haven’t come up with a nickname for it yet! smile

Elk Country
© 24hourcampfire